Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

FOOTBALL ( U.S. FOOTBALL )

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: FOOTBALL ( U.S. FOOTBALL )   Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:24 am

Well everyone knows that the Pittsburgh Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII at Raymond James Stadium on February 1, 2009 .And the NFC won the pro bowl 30-21 win vs. the AFC in the 2009 Pro Bowl.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FOOTBALL ( U.S. FOOTBALL )   Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:26 am

Cassel signs $14.65M franchise tender
Now that QB Matt Cassel has signed his $14.65 million non-exclusive franchise tender ó the largest guarantee on a one-year contract in the history of the NFL ó some around the league believe itís 95 percent that he remains in New England.

The only way the Patriots would trade Cassel is if they know QB Tom Brady is healthy, and even if they do, the bidder needs to be to Casselís liking and offer a contract to his liking, or thereís no deal.

Thatís not to say it canít happen. But itís not going to be easy to make it happen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FOOTBALL ( U.S. FOOTBALL )   Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:31 am

Chiefs hire Cardinals offensive coordinator Haley as coach
Todd Haley was hired as coach of the Chiefs Friday after helping the Cardinals reach Super Bowl XLIII as coordinator of one of the NFL's most exciting offenses.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that Haley signed a four-year contract.

Haley was introduced at a news conference by team president Clark Hunt and general manager Scott Pioli.

"We really believe he's the right guy for this job," Pioli said.

Haley joins a team that went a franchise-worst 2-14 under coach Herm Edwards, who was fired Jan. 23. Edwards won only two of his last 25 games and launched a rebuilding project that made the Chiefs the league's youngest team this season.

Pioli, hired last month as GM, said Haley has a "strong understanding of players and the type of players that create championship football teams."

Haley called this an "ideal situation" for him and "a chance to work with someone I have experience with in Scott."

The Chiefs haven't won a postseason game since an aging Joe Montana was their quarterback in the 1993 season.

Edwards was considered a players' coach by the Chiefs. Haley can be combative and sometimes clashes with players. He had a first-half argument with Warner, then a short blowup in full view of television cameras with wide receiver Anquan Boldin during the NFC Championship Game against the Eagles,. Haley also had a spat with Terrell Owens when he was the receivers coach in Dallas.

Haley, who turns 42 this month, helped shape an offense that carried the Cardinals to the NFC West title and nearly a Super Bowl victory over Pittsburgh.

He did not start calling plays until late in the 2007 season. But this season, an Arizona offense led by Warner set a franchise record with 427 points, finished third in scoring in the NFL and was second in passing yards.

"This is a tremendous opportunity for Todd and one that I know he is ready for," said Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt. "He was a big part of the offensive success that our team has had over the last two years. Todd is a smart, passionate coach who gets the very best out of players and those attributes will serve him well as a head coach."

Leading up to the Super Bowl, Haley repeatedly was questioned about joining Pioli in Kansas City. Haley said Friday he first heard he was a candidate for the job in Kansas City the day after the Super Bowl.

Haley and Pioli worked together with the New York Jets, where Haley's father, Dick, was personnel director. Pioli said he interviewed several candidates for the Chiefs job.

"We're interested in getting it right," Haley said, referring to his relationship with Pioli. "We don't care whose idea it is. We just want a solution and an answer."

The hiring completes Hunt's overhaul of the top management rungs of a team he inherited from his father in December 2006. Hunt owns the Chiefs with his sister and two brothers and has ultimate authority as chairman of the board. He accepted Carl Peterson's resignation in December after 20 years as president, chief executive officer and general manager.

Hunt hired Pioli from the New England Patriots' front office and gave him authority over all football matters. Haley and Pioli face issues at just about every position, particularly on defense. Still, conditions seem favorable for the sort of quick turnaround Pioli's father-in-law, Bill Parcells, engineered in Miami.

Edwards, who was dismissed in Pioli's first major move, gave several promising rookies a valuable year of experience in 2008. Left tackle Branden Albert and cornerbacks Brandon Carr and Brandon Flowers could solidify those key positions for many years.

The Chiefs' 14 losses were by 10 points or fewer, evidence this young team often was only a few plays from a breakthrough.
In addition, Kansas City owns the No. 3 overall pick in the draft and should have plenty of money to work with because it's about $32 million under the salary cap.

Added to that is what amounts to a new stadium. With $250 million in taxpayer money and $125 million from the Hunt family, Arrowhead Stadium is being almost completely renovated. A spruced-up seating area along with swank new offices and weight and training facilities could help attract free agents as well as customers to a stadium often described as the NFL's loudest.

Among Haley's most urgent problems will be disgruntled stars Tony Gonzalez and Larry Johnson. Gonzalez, the all-time leader among tight ends in touchdowns and receptions, said this week at the Pro Bowl he may want out of Kansas City. He was angry during the season that Edwards did not let him get the receiving record at home, and then was upset Peterson would not trade him.

Johnson, the highest-paid player in team history, said this week he saw no future for himself in Kansas City. This season he was benched for violating team rules for three games and suspended for one game by the league. He also faces court dates in two separate cases in which he's charged with simple assault.

A key decision must be made at quarterback. Brodie Croyle, Edwards' choice, has been prone to injury and unreliable. Third-teamer Tyler Thigpen finished the season running the spread offense and was 1-10 as a starter.

The biggest issues, however, are on defense.

Under coordinator Gunther Cunningham, the 2008 Chiefs set an NFL record for pass-rushing futility with only 10 sacks. They also set team records for most yards allowed in a game, most points allowed in a game and biggest lead squandered in a loss. Cunningham has become defensive coordinator for the winless Detroit Lions.

The Chiefs also need to get more production out of Glenn Dorsey, the defensive tackle who was taken overall No. 5 in last year's draft but was a major disappointment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FOOTBALL ( U.S. FOOTBALL )   Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:33 am

Gruden breaks silence, dishes on future, Tebow
Former Bucs coach Jon Gruden broke his silence over the weekend, giving an extensive interview with Chris Harry of the Orlando Sentinel.

Gruden, who was fired last month, spoke about his current plans, his future plans and how Tim Tebow could change the NFL forever.

Gruden on being fired: ďYou know what? Mike Shanahan got fired. Mike Holmgren is out of football. Brian Billick is out of football. Thatís the reality of it. Mostly though, Iím just really proud of working hard.Ē More

Gruden on his future: ďYou know, the thing Iím really struggling with, I miss football. So thank God for Tim Marcum. Ö I go down there, I got my Beta cam, all my films and got people in the league who have sent me stuff to study. Ö I hit the pad on the Ice Palace, man, itís the most beautiful facility. I love it. Itís the first place I ever saw Bon Jovi. I go in there and heís afforded me a chance to study film. He comes in, we watch tape. [I know] some college coaches and Iíve already, in my own sick mind, budgeted time for this and this and this and this, and Iím going to learn a lot about the spread offense, and about college football. I already know the questions Iím going to ask. Iím going to do clinics. Iím going to do appearances, but more than anything else Iím going to do research.Ē More

Gruden on Tebow: ďHe is rare. Tebow is the kind of guy who could revolutionize the game. Heís the Ďwildcatí who can throw. Most of the teams that have the wildcat back there, itís Ronnie Brown, itís Jerious Norwood itís whoever you want to say it is. This guy here is 250 pounds of concrete cyanide, man. And he can throw. He throws well enough at any level to play quarterback.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FOOTBALL ( U.S. FOOTBALL )   Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:52 am

just for the first post - i didn't know all that. they stopped airing NFL here a few years back. actually last time Chicago bears won the superbowl
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FOOTBALL ( U.S. FOOTBALL )   Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:05 pm

styx wrote:
just for the first post - i didn't know all that. they stopped airing NFL here a few years back. actually last time Chicago bears won the superbowl
That was 1985 brother lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FOOTBALL ( U.S. FOOTBALL )   Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:38 am

**** weren't they in the finals a few years back??? really wouldn't know since they cut the channel half way trough the game. now how the **** are we supposed to watch cable TV if we can't steal it? this world is really going crazy... next thing you know they'll say that drinking and driving don't go together
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FOOTBALL ( U.S. FOOTBALL )   Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:06 pm

Falcons look to trade rights to suspended QB Vick
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff said Friday the Falcons will try to trade the contract rights on Michael Vick to another team.

In an interview that appeared on the team's Web site, Dimitroff said, "With regards to Michael Vick, we've decided to seek a trade of his contractual rights to another NFL club."

Vick is currently in federal prison on felony charges related to dogfighting and is scheduled to be released in July.

Vick has a contract that runs to 2013 and calls for him to receive a base salary of $9 million and a bonus of $6.43 million in 2009. The remainder of the contract is worth $45.11 million, with another possible $3 million in Pro Bowl bonuses.

"We feel a trade is the best move for the Falcons, and it's also in the best interest for Michael," Dimitroff said. "This has been a really unique situation from a variety of standpoints and because we will actively be involved in a trade situation, I don't envision our organization speaking any more about this subject publicly until it's reached a resolution."

He said the Falcons have had no discussions with other teams because Vick is under suspension by the NFL, "but we think some teams might be interested in exploring a trade."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello on Friday reiterated commissioner Roger Goodell's statement when he suspended Vick on Aug. 24 2007 that he will review Vick's status when legal proceedings are done.

Vick's attorneys did not immediately return e-mail or telephone messages left at their offices.

Dimitroff said if the Falcons are unable to complete a trade, they will re-evaluate. He said a decision would be made that is in the best interest of the team.

The Falcons made a move last year for a quarterback, taking Boston College's Matt Ryan as their first round draft choice. He was last year's rookie of the year after leading the Falcons to the playoffs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: FOOTBALL ( U.S. FOOTBALL )   Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:01 am

ok can we start from somewhere so that i actually get the game? can you explain the positions and what all those 1st down or what ever things mean. the only part that i ever got was a touchdown
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25350
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: FOOTBALL ( U.S. FOOTBALL )   Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:15 pm

This one guy was 6'0 and 240 pounds
Holy ****
My height. Only 95 pounds heavier
What a beast

PostSubject: Re: FOOTBALL ( U.S. FOOTBALL )   Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:38 pm

holy ****. i'm around 6'1 and 1/2 and about 220 pounds
Back to top Go down
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10452
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: FOOTBALL ( U.S. FOOTBALL )   Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:44 pm

nice to see we got another steelers fan around here
i got me some terrible towels
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25350
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: FOOTBALL ( U.S. FOOTBALL )   Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:12 am

What a bullet
6'0 - 240
He must work out everyday

link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10452
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: FOOTBALL ( U.S. FOOTBALL )   Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:27 am

lol somebody that is a beast
jerome bettis
that guy ****ing plowed through everyone
he was 6'0 i think and 300 pounds
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FOOTBALL ( U.S. FOOTBALL )   

Back to top Go down

FOOTBALL ( U.S. FOOTBALL )
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1