Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Lets analyse these lyrics

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25290
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Lets analyse these lyrics   Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:05 pm

Help me out here (brackets is what I have so far)
Hurt lyrics

I hurt myself today (Story of a life of a man with his highs and lows with a drug
To see if I still feel problem this is a cover song. The original singer had this trouble)
I focus on the pain (It sounds much more powerful because of the age of the man)
The only thing that's real (Touch sense-the needle)
The needle tears a hole (Needle is the drug imagery-sight)
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything

[Chorus:]
What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

I wear this crown of thorns (These two lines means he has this world in his head that
Upon my liar's chair he escapes to, but its really worthless)
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair
Beneath the stains of time (Metaphor)
The feelings disappear (The pouring of the wine shows that he is finished with his
You are someone else previous way of living)
I am still right here

[Chorus:]
What have I become (Shame)
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

If I could start again (He would do it all again or he desperately wants to start
A million miles away over contradicts with keep myself although the lady
I would keep myself symbolizes his change, but its too late)
I would find a way

breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Lets analyse these lyrics   Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:02 pm

Any hints for the video would help too

PostSubject: Re: Lets analyse these lyrics   Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:55 pm

just give me a moment to get drunk and then i'll tell yez what it's all about
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Lets analyse these lyrics   Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:31 pm

Gogoggogogo

breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Lets analyse these lyrics   Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:35 pm

What I have so far

Hurt, by Johnny Cash is a story about a man who has a serious drug addiction. The song is told in first person, almost as a life story. This song’s main message is regret, and not being able to change. The lyrics start out with an eerie feel and transact into a depressive state. As seen in the video, his past albums are damaged, possibly from an anger fit because of the shame from the “empire of dirt.” An empire signifies ownership of much, while dirt shows its low in worth. Therefore Johnny has wasted his life along with his opportunities.

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14871
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Lets analyse these lyrics   Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm

well THAT is straight off of teh wikipediaz

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Lets analyse these lyrics   Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:01 pm

I'll take that as a compilment- I wrote it professionally
Here is what I also added on

David’s Script – Lyric Assignment
Hurt, by Johnny Cash is a story about a man who has a serious drug addiction. The song is told in first person, almost as a life story. This song’s main message is regret, and not being able to change. The lyrics start out with an eerie feel and transact into a depressive state. As seen in the video, his past albums are damaged, possibly from an anger fit because of the shame from the “empire of dirt.” An empire signifies ownership of much, while dirt shows its low in worth. Therefore Johnny has wasted his life along with his opportunities. Even in his old age he remains unable to control his actions, he tries to kill his memories away, but he remembers everything. He seems be at quarrel with his present and past self. He asks what he has become, showing that he is ashamed, but is unable to prevent his urges. He sits on his liars chair, possibly telling his friends and family that he doing something else. He cannot undo his mistakes. You cannot undo anything that has happened in the past, but you can clean the stain, but this doesn’t heal the wound. Everyone else in his life has matured, but he is still at an immature stage of only wanting pleasure. The song ends with him explaining that if he could start again

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Lets analyse these lyrics   Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:05 pm

breakyoudown wrote:
I'll take that as a compilment- I wrote it professionally
Here is what I also added on

Hurt, by Johnny Cash is a story about a man who has a serious drug addiction. The song is told in first person, almost as a life story. This song’s main message is regret, and not being able to change. The lyrics start out with an eerie feel and transact into a depressive state. As seen in the video, his past albums are damaged, possibly from an anger fit because of the shame from the “empire of dirt.” An empire signifies ownership of much, while dirt shows its low in worth. Therefore Johnny has wasted his life along with his opportunities. Even in his old age he remains unable to control his actions, he tries to kill his memories away, but he remembers everything. He seems be at quarrel with his present and past self. He asks what he has become, showing that he is ashamed, but is unable to prevent his urges. He sits on his liars chair, possibly telling his friends and family that he doing something else. He cannot undo his mistakes. You cannot undo anything that has happened in the past, but you can clean the stain, but this doesn’t heal the wound. Everyone else in his life has matured, but he is still at an immature stage of only wanting pleasure. The song ends with him explaining that if he could start again

instead of transact, try transgress. that is the most correct word i believe. also, refer to him (johnny) by his last name, Cash.
also, if this is a srs bit of analytical work, use quotes from the song. that always looks professional

good work so far

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Lets analyse these lyrics   Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:10 pm

Thanks, you see, I hate writing scripts. I love being in front of a crowd and talking, if I organize it, then its just tedious and nail pulling. I hate writing this, I will make up for the poor context with my courageous presentation.

"If I could start again, I would keep myself" The song ends in a note that fails to resolve the conflict. He would like to stray from the possessive drugs, but says he would keep himself. Depending on what part of his personality he would keep, leads to if he would choose the drugs over his friends and family again. He leaves it in the open as nobody will know the answer, as it is too late to start anew.

The end

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Lets analyse these lyrics   Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:11 pm

ooh deep. i likey

post full work all done so i can edit

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Lets analyse these lyrics   Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:16 pm

Hurt, by Johnny Cash is a story about a man who has a serious drug addiction. The song is told in first person, almost as a life story. This song’s main message is regret, and not being able to change. The lyrics start out with an eerie feel and transgress into a depressive state. As seen in the video, his past albums are damaged, possibly from an anger fit because of the shame from the “empire of dirt.” An empire signifies ownership of much, while dirt shows its low in worth. Therefore Cash has wasted his life along with his opportunities. Even in his old age he remains unable to control his actions, he tries to kill his memories away, but he remembers everything. He seems be at quarrel with his present and past self. He asks what he has become, showing that he is ashamed, but is unable to prevent his urges. He sits on his liars chair, possibly telling his friends and family that he doing something else. He cannot undo his mistakes. You cannot undo anything that has happened in the past, but you can clean the stain, but this doesn’t heal the wound. Everyone else in his life has matured, but he is still at an immature stage of only wanting pleasure. "If I could start again, I would keep myself" The song ends in a note that fails to resolve the conflict. He would like to stray from the possessive drugs, but says he would keep himself. Depending on what part of his personality he would keep, leads to if he would choose the drugs over his friends and family again. He leaves it in the open as nobody will know the answer, as it is too late to start anew.

Pretty much the same, I am only responsible for the literal meaning of the song. The others are doing symbolism and poetic devices. Of course if they don't do a good job, I will have to cover there asses on the spot

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Lets analyse these lyrics   Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:20 pm

well, i personally could write a couple 3 pages on this. but for your assignment it is decent. that is the difference in college, just page length

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Lets analyse these lyrics   Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:24 pm

I would be able to do the same
But like I said
I am only doing 1/3 of the work and am going to be vocally saying most of my points
I just wrote my favourite ones down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lets analyse these lyrics   

Back to top Go down

Lets analyse these lyrics
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1