Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Are you desensitized?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9786
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Are you desensitized?   Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:44 pm

Sorry I edited it after you posted this. Read above.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14928
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Are you desensitized?   Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:49 pm

ahhh i get it

emos.....ahhhh.....are notoriusly stereotyped for sitting in dark rooms, writing poetry about how their life sucks.
here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo
in the article

Fashion and stereotype

Today emo is commonly tied to both music and fashion as well as an inspiration toward the emo subculture,[20] and the term "emo" is sometimes stereotyped with tight jeans on males and females alike, long fringe (bangs) brushed to one side of the face or over one or both eyes, dyed black, straight hair, tight t-shirts (usually short-sleeved) which often bear the names of emo bands (or other designer shirts), studded belts, belt buckles, canvas sneakers or skate shoes or other black shoes and thick, black horn-rimmed glasses.[21][22][23] This fashion has at times been characterized as a fad.[24] Early on, emo fashion was associated with a clean cut look[25] but as the style spread to younger teenagers, the style has become darker, with long bangs and emphasis on the colour black replacing sweater vest In recent years the popular media have associated emo with a stereotype that includes being emotional, sensitive, shy, introverted, or angst-ridden.[26][27][28] It is also associated with depression, self-injury, and suicide.[29][30]

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Are you desensitized?   Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:57 pm

I checked the original sources used for the article. #30 didn't exist and #29 was just someone saying whatever they wanted to say without information. Calling emo's a cult also indicated a clear bias since a cult is something that both has a negative connotation and has no relationship to emo's.

I had a cousin who cut herself once and she never had anything to do with emo culture. She listened to happy/excited music mostly. She was upset because her parents were really hard on her.

I'm sure some emo's have serious problems but I don't think it would be a very large group of them. Their music isn't even that depressing. Depressing black metal is depressing...emo music is just kind of soft and emotional, sometimes even uplifting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Are you desensitized?   Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:01 pm

well i sort of agree with you. here, think of it in terms of the math we talked about

Not all cutters are emo, but a large proportion of emos participate in self mutilation.
there are no facts to back that up, it is just an observation.

emos are however, classified by the way they dress. same with goths. only, goths are badass and emos are pansies.

emos arent really liked around here, idk why. they are generally nice. i think it is because they stand for the opposite of what we do in metal music.
and depressive black metal is depressing. but emos are depressing for the lyrical quality. mostly about their life or gfs

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Are you desensitized?   Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:11 pm

One interesting question is whether some emo's are depressed because of social difficulties because of their culture or because of their culture directly. I mean they seem to be fairly expressive and social culturally. If one was to become heavily criticized and disliked that might have a very negative effect on them. If we assume they naturally have gushy emotions then all of this could be assumed to have a dramatized effect on the individual. I'm just speculating though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Are you desensitized?   Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:12 pm

deep man.
i think there are all different types. there are people who are ligitamtely depressed. ther are people who just like the music. there are people who just do that cuse they feel like they fit. i really dont know.

this might help, tell me VC, where do you live? are you in the states or in another country?

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Are you desensitized?   Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:38 pm

I live in Southern California near the beach.

I'm not sure what you might be getting at but I think it's important to point out that I am a quite isolated person in terms of my thoughts on various matters. I never discuss much with peers but I have discussed a lot of things with other adults (since the age of 10 to this day) across the internet. The way I go about it is complex but basically you just stay on your toes and be vigilant. You have to have a heart of steel but at the same time be absolutely 100% flexible. Another important thing is that if someone knows more about something than you do then you need to approach them as a student and pose them questions, then judge for yourself by the answers. If you know more about something than they do then you need to approach them with a degree of understanding and try to get their frame of mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Are you desensitized?   Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:46 pm

not what i was getting at.
So if i say the word Bro, do you think of guys in big trucks that wear black and drink monster?

I want to say that i in no way hate emos or anything, i was just trying to clarify for you what they have been stereotyed as. im sorry if i have offended you, as that was not my intention, rather to bring a small culture to light.

and i think your previous statment was one big long thought, it was kind of hard to undterstand. describing feelings is never easy oin the internet

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Are you desensitized?   Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:53 am

Nah you didn't offend me. You're just being as easy-going as I am.

When I hear the word bro I think of a friend who is always excited to see you and spends a lot of time with you. Of course I'm flexible with definitions, what a person is trying to get at is more important than any questionable uses of words they use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are you desensitized?   

Back to top Go down

Are you desensitized?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tip of the Hat :: Preposterous Palaver and Infinite Jest-
Jump to: