Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

Number of posts : 15458
Hedonistic Glory : 10729
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:51 am

ABC News has learned that on Monday morning President Obama will hold an event at the White House in which he signs an executive order overturning the ban on federal funding of embryonic stem cell research.

The announcement will be about "restoring scientific integrity to health care policy," an administration official tells ABC News.

In August 2001, President George W. Bush signed an executive order banning federal funding on embryonic stem cell research except for a few dozen lines that were grandfathered in. The White House at the time estimated scientists would have more than 60 cell lines to use, but ultimately fewer than two dozen lines were usable.

Twice during his presidency, Mr. Bush vetoed efforts to overturn his ban.

On the campaign trail, then-Sen. Obama pledged to overturn the ban, as did Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., making a reversal in policy all but assured. Mr. Obama said the ban "handcuffed our scientists and hindered our ability to compete with other nations."

- Jake Tapper, Brian Hartman and Lisa Stark

UPDATE: ABC News' Karen Travers reports that Rep. Michael Castle, R-Del, co-author of the stem cell legislation that President Bush vetoed twice, welcomed the White House decision.

"I could not be more excited to hear that President Obama will finally lift the stifling restrictions on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research -- something I have actively fought for over the last five years," Castle said in a statement. "This single action symbolizes a new day for scientific research and highlights the importance of a strong federal role in promoting potentially life-saving science. I look forward to learning the details of the executive order, and immediately working with the President and colleagues in Congress to codify the policy to ensure that scientists are deciding what research to pursue from here."

UPDATE 2: House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, offers this: “Advancements in science and research have moved faster than the debates among politicians in Washington, D.C., and breakthroughs announced in recent years confirm that the full potential of stem cell research can be realized without the destruction of living human embryos. This issue is not about whether federal dollars should fund stem cell research. There is little debate about that, and Republicans enthusiastically support adult, cord blood, and pluripotent stem cell research that have shown so much promise in recent years. The question is whether taxpayer dollars should be used to subsidize the destruction of precious human life. Millions of Americans strongly oppose that, and rightfully so. Taxpayer dollars should not aid the destruction of innocent human life.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/dommaster66
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14986
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:47 pm

i am always amazed with science and it is about time to open up the throttles on our mind and see what we can create!

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25405
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:51 pm

Stem cell research is really sad. But at least its making something one of a dead baby. But that sounds so so cruel

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:53 pm

i dont think it is sad. i think of it as recycling. you have an old plastic bottle that you can make into a sweater and make someone else happy.

also, i think that the people in jail for life and that have the death penalty we should harvest their organs. they dont have a right to their organs anymore

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:56 pm

This encourages the abortion of human beings. Makes me sad

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:00 pm

no, it doesnt ENCOURAGE abortion. im not one to talk on the subject, but thats how this stuff gets passed out of law. no offense to you, but the christian groups latch on to this idea that it is abortion. im sure the real science is much deeper than this. i dont know if it kills baby or not.

im sure if someone is going to have an abortion, they will have the option to check a box to have their fetus donated to science. idk. but im sure it is not encouraged abortion

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:07 pm

Okay maybe not encourage, but it lessens the consequences from taking a newborns life. I know its generic but if you had 2 blind kids, a deaf, 2 criples, a mute, and just gave birth to a son who is also deaf would you abort him?
IF yes, then you killed Beethoven

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:21 pm

well, i dont think deaf is a debilitating disease. if i had a child, i wouldnt abort a blind or deaf or mute.
now the situation changes if it has severe medical issues or downs or severely autistic, than the idea and the choice of abortion suddenly becomes more real.

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:02 pm

i think abortion is a + for society.
if you cannot mantain a baby...give him proper love or even feed him..then dont bring himto this world....Stem is like brute said...like recycling...
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:09 pm

well, that sounds harsh.
your screwed either way. you cant bring a kid into the world - the kid suffers. you cant take it away from its parents - the kid suffers. you leave it there, the kid suferes

POINT BEING - we need to tell everyone and make them use birth control at gunpoint

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:11 pm

Plenty of infertile people want to adopt
All because a child's birth may look sketchy, does not mean that they will not live a happy life
Tons of people adopt, and even if they are not adopted they can still live and grow up and be normal in a matter of time

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:56 am

yes, but to adopt they are going overseas cuse it is much easier and cheaper. we need to make adoption less of a hassle, but by still weeding out the crazies

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:10 pm

i think abortion is for 17- girls that got knokecd out by accident.
Imagine bringing a child when u are in 10th or 11th grade...you hav no job...or you are somhow poor and a child means you get out of school...or imagine your sister gets raped and preagnant...

yeah its harsh but its the reality of today..
Back to top Go down
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5569
Joined In : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:57 am

Me and my ex decided on an abortion in our senior year of high school. It was the hardest decision I've made in my entire life. We initially wanted to put it up for adoption, but we were doing a lot of hard drugs and the doctor was pretty sure the baby would not be healthy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:01 am

wow man thats really hard
thx for sharing that dude....
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16108
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:38 pm

In my opinion, abortion is wrong, but i guess if we're going to let people kill their children, we might as well get some use out of it. As long as we don't start trying to clone stuff, I am completely against that. Abortion makes me sad, but I think that it should be allowed in some cases, such as if the mother has AIDS or something. That's just my opinion though
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10507
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:40 pm

i believe we should do it
and i believe on a different outlook on abortion
its wrong if its just some stupid kids that didnt wear a condom
but if its rape or not consentual sex, then i am kinda for it
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9844
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:20 am

Axeforhire66 wrote:
In my opinion, abortion is wrong, but i guess if we're going to let people kill their children, we might as well get some use out of it. As long as we don't start trying to clone stuff, I am completely against that. Abortion makes me sad, but I think that it should be allowed in some cases, such as if the mother has AIDS or something. That's just my opinion though

What's wrong with cloning stuff? We do it all the time. I assume you are speaking about humans. While in one instance I don't see what is wrong with cloning a human being it does seem a little pointless unless you want another Bobby Fischer or something.

I don't have much of an opinion on abortion. It is what it is. People often argue that having an abortion is killing a human being or not killing a human being and seem to make this the pivotal issue. I don't see the relevance. Clearly there are times when killing another person is okay, such as in self-defense, to put them out of their inevitable and permanent misery, to save others, etc. Is abortion another one of these general exceptions? That would be a better question. But I don't even think in terms of morality so abortion is not really my topic. I can only speak of the pluses and minuses of abortion from one perspective or another.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:35 am

wile i agree with you....i think it is a sad time that we are justifying human life and which is ok to live and ok to die. that being said, i still think abortion should be legal. there shouldnt be a long line and free refreshments outside of the clinc. but it should be available. i joked with blackstar that i had triplets comeing and 2 were downs and one was autisitc. there is on way i could support that. not even one child. and nobody would adopt the child. it would lead a horrible life. i think abortion is the best possible scenario

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:02 am

I agree with brute.
Abortion is something well bad for many...but overall...its necessary.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Wed May 20, 2009 5:40 pm

I'm pro abortion, but hey, I realise killing is what humans do best. Also there's all this talk of ending a "life":it's ending the potential of a life, in reality you're killing a fetus with no conscious of it's own and you are not inflicting pain. Are you against the death sentence too. Should we allow people like Hitler to live? You have to think like Spiderman in these situations: With the power, comes responsability. You have the power to allow the child to be born a crack baby and live a shitty life or you can terminate. Would you take that choice away from a drug addicted whore?

What about euthanasia? Will you force a severly disabled and pain riddled person to continue living. Are you that cruel?

Morality is overrated, and as such, so is the law, or the enforced social morality system: you're taking away the choices of the individual. They may make the wrong choice, but it's theirs to make. Who are we to judge. Perhaps this is to anarchistic for some...

I am however against stem cell research. The benefits are huge, but the implications of man's unwavering quest to play god trouble me profoundly. Individuality will cease to exist, human life will become irrelevant, if it isn't already.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Wed May 20, 2009 6:37 pm

I think an abortion should only be done if the baby will have a terrible physical condition
Because that way the stem cells can prevent harm to others
Otherwise it should go for adoption

VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Wed May 20, 2009 10:14 pm

It should be considered that when abortion is illegal many more women tend to die from "back-alley" abortions. Also some neurobiologists believe there is evidence that fetuses (generally in the third trimester) are able to feel pain. Look it up if you want. There is a lot of misinformation on topics like abortion, because of its political and pop nature, but if you try you could probably get some good information on the above points.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EPhear
Top Lad

Number of posts : 106
Hedonistic Glory : 3297
Joined In : 2009-04-04

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Wed May 20, 2009 11:55 pm

Abortion is a no except in a few cases in my opinion. If the mother of the child could possibly die from giving birth due to complications, and not a statistical anomaly 99.9% chance of living doesn't give you a right because of the .1% chance either. The baby is royally messed up medically speaking. Otherwise, it's pretty much a no. Rape is a hard decision to base abortion on. While, yes, it is bad all around, should you blame a fetus for that? The child being not your choice is hard, but, adoption is a possibility, and assistance granted for those who bear children not of their own volition that don't go up for adoption.

Granted, you can A) easily take the egg from a women having her period, more so when they are rather young. B)Take the additional eggs from a fertility treatment so you don't give birth and become an octo-mom.

Also, advancements have been made from non-embryonic stem cell (A.K.A. Adult Stem Cell) to make this nearly moot. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Thu May 21, 2009 7:51 pm

Scientists have the urge to study both kinds of stem cells.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shady
Lightning Rider

Number of posts : 1372
Hedonistic Glory : 4372

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   Fri May 22, 2009 8:44 am

Dies Irae wrote:
I'm pro abortion, but hey, I realise killing is what humans do best. Also there's all this talk of ending a "life":it's ending the potential of a life, in reality you're killing a fetus with no conscious of it's own and you are not inflicting pain. Are you against the death sentence too. Should we allow people like Hitler to live? You have to think like Spiderman in these situations: With the power, comes responsability. You have the power to allow the child to be born a crack baby and live a shitty life or you can terminate. Would you take that choice away from a drug addicted whore?

What about euthanasia? Will you force a severly disabled and pain riddled person to continue living. Are you that cruel?

Morality is overrated, and as such, so is the law, or the enforced social morality system: you're taking away the choices of the individual. They may make the wrong choice, but it's theirs to make. Who are we to judge. Perhaps this is to anarchistic for some...

I am however against stem cell research. The benefits are huge, but the implications of man's unwavering quest to play god trouble me profoundly. Individuality will cease to exist, human life will become irrelevant, if it isn't already.

100% against the death penalty actually, and abortion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday   

Back to top Go down

President Obama to Sign Executive Order on Stem Cell Research Monday
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1