Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Genres and Subgenres

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15987
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Genres and Subgenres   Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:36 pm

It's been bothering me lately, and i thought i'd see what you guys thought about it. Genres always seem to be far too in depth. For example, all of the sub-genres of metal (power metal, death metal, deathcore, grindcore, speed metal, melodic death metal, folk metal, etc). In my opinion, societies fixation on subgenres hurts music. Take bands that scream for example. I I never listened to "screamo" metal because i heard one or two bands and i thought i would hate the rest. But, as it turns out, i have found two or three bands lately that have non-traditional singing styles that i really enjoy. (Children of Bodom, Ensiferum, Wintersun). If everything wasn't so classified, i might have discovered i liked them sooner. That's another reason i don't like all the subgenres - people feel like they are bound to one style or genre of music, but they would find that there is alot of great music out there if they looked. My grandfather is like that, he loves bluegrass and country music, but he won't even listen to anything that isn't under that classification. It might be just a generational thing, but i think alot of people are that way. I think that if we had less subgenres music would be more open for people
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14865
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Genres and Subgenres   Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:16 pm

I completely disagree. we need systems of organization. What is happening is a societal issue. It was at one point "un-cool" to listen to "non-traditional" singing styles. this had nothing to do with what it was called. the cool people labeled it sth and then they decided they didnt like it.

What does annoy me is the anal-retentiveness that people want to label certain genres. like it it has 3 seconds of one instrument people will ***** and moan about what to classify it. i think that sorting music by generalities is cool. you were turned off to several major sub genres by what you heard through somebody ( i assume). but now that you are discovering what you like, you can look at the subgenre and find out other things you may like

sorry to disagree lol

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25284
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Genres and Subgenres   Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:32 pm

I'm on a bit of both sides
Too many genres side Pros
-Its annoying when people are fighting calling Kalmah power metal. C'mon, just because the guitars are harmonious doesn't mean anything
-Its annoying sometimes
-Some sound plain silly, saying I'm listening to power harmonic death speed metal makes you sound like a tool

Lots of genres is good side
-You will usually always like a band that is in a specified genre
-More enjoyable and relaxing having these groups under your knowledge
-Easier to explain to others what a band is like

link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10386
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Genres and Subgenres   Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:42 pm

i believe we need organization, but come on, vegetarian progressive grindcore????
we dont need that much!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Genres and Subgenres   Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:55 pm

+rep byd. that was what i was trying to say.

and axe.....i always go into new music with an open mind. im not saying you dont! i just listen to it for what it is, and if i like it, ill learn what it is later

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11690
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Genres and Subgenres   Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:21 pm

I like subgenres because to me trying to say that certain bands are the same genre is annoying. Like to me it's all metal but we have power metal, thrash, death, black, grindcore is somthing totally different. It makes it alot eaiser to organize and discover new bands imo. Also I think it's kinda fun lol. I think it can go a little far and confusion of subgenres annoys me to no ****ing end. I mean I've had people tell me while I was listening to slayer that they didn't like slayer becuase it was too screamo for them. I mean I like screamo as much as the next guy who likes screamo but slayer aren't screamo know what I mean. Sometimes bands do tag like subject matter on the front of their genres like. Streight Edge Grindcore or something like that and that really doesn't bother me either but I suppose it's all a matter of opinion. Also sometimes bands tag where they are from in front and people start to call subgenres like that. Like Swedish Death Metal as opposed to Melodic death metal that kind of annoys me. There are death metal bands from Sweden that don't play melo death.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Genres and Subgenres   Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:31 am

brutality,thynameismetal wrote:
I completely disagree. we need systems of organization. What is happening is a societal issue. It was at one point "un-cool" to listen to "non-traditional" singing styles. this had nothing to do with what it was called. the cool people labeled it sth and then they decided they didnt like it.

What does annoy me is the anal-retentiveness that people want to label certain genres. like it it has 3 seconds of one instrument people will ***** and moan about what to classify it. i think that sorting music by generalities is cool. you were turned off to several major sub genres by what you heard through somebody ( i assume). but now that you are discovering what you like, you can look at the subgenre and find out other things you may like

sorry to disagree lol

I guess i wasn't clear lol. I do not care in the slightest about popularity, trends, etc. What i meant by that was there was bands that were in the "screamo" genre or whatever it's called that i didn't like, so it got me into the mindset that i don't like that sub-genre. It seems like when we have so many genres, it's easier to turn yourself away from different bands. I listen to what i like lol, hell i think i'm the only one on this entire forum that likes Nightwish lol. But if we just had smaller basic genres like power metal, thrash metal, death metal, and speed metal, you would know that not everything sounds like a particular band. But all of the really precise subgenres like Goregrind, grindcore, deathgrind, symphonic metal, and avant-garde metal tend to make people think that if you hear 2 or 3 bands out of that genre you don't like, you won't like the rest. But Brute, i do not follow trends and i do not take peoples words for anything. If someone tells me something sucks, i will listen and see for myself. We all have our own opinions so i don't let people make decisions for me. Although i really do welcome suggestions about bands and stuff. And it's fine if you disagree man,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11690
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Genres and Subgenres   Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:42 am

I like Nightwish ^_^
But I suppose I can see your point. Thats why I try to talk to someone who likes that genre and get band suggestions because you often get more variation that way. Thats how I got into bm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9723
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Genres and Subgenres   Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:46 am

That genres can be confusing and cause problems is all true but I don't think that's reason enough to not have them defined. When you start out it might be a little weird but for me it is a great way to actually discover new bands. If I hear something I like and it is say classified as technical death metal then when I go looking for bands that have a similar sound I know how to do such.

Genres are somewhat limited in their classification powers of course but for 99% of bands genres apply and for those other 1% they still apply at least somewhat.

Genre stereotyping and genre loyalty for the sake of loyalty are lame but you just have to kind of deal with it. I listen to a very wide variety of musical genres and yeah I'll call it what it is but I don't judge bands based on their genre. Nu-metal is a very hated genre in general but I like some nu-metal songs and even maybe some nu-metal bands. Same for deathcore and metalcore. Hell, I even like some music that is fused with the emo genre. I understand what you mean. Liking something that is fused with an emo genre would be looked down upon by many just because of that fact. To be honest genres are unavoidable but even if they weren't I think the benefits outweigh the disbenefits, at least for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Genres and Subgenres   Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:41 am

Axe, i didnt mean to imply that you are affected by the masses, but more of accumulation of what VC and blackstar said. we as a culture classify so many things, what is the problem with trying to classify music sounds so as easier to get a heading in which direction we may want to go. your "metal map" may not make a straight line.....
i think that deviation is interesting and eventually we will all settle into a groove

wow, confusing metaphor that was described poorly. so sorry everybody!

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9723
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Genres and Subgenres   Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:56 am

Yeah...negative one rep.

Lol just kidding. I understood you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Genres and Subgenres   Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:09 am

ha ha, yeah. well at least that makes one person!

i should -1 from myself. errr....yeah....i think that made sense.

wow it is late....

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

Number of posts : 15458
Hedonistic Glory : 10608
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Genres and Subgenres   Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:48 pm

Well..
I think genres are necessary...but taking it to the point when you say:

"HEY LISTEN TO THIS BAND! its Melodic/Gothic/Dark/Depressive/Black/Death/With a bit of rap Metalgrindcore."

I mean...WHAT THE ****?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/dommaster66
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Genres and Subgenres   Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:50 pm

Well i guess i lost this one hahaha

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Genres and Subgenres   Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:55 pm

no no, you put forth your point most valiently, it is just that we are right....jk

but srsly, i see where you are coming from. i agree with IB 100%. i think it is easier to say black metal, rather than describing 6 bands it sounds like

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

Number of posts : 15458
Hedonistic Glory : 10608
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Genres and Subgenres   Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:10 pm

Exactly....Also...I hate ppl Calling Tokyo Hotel HARD ROCK..

WHAT THE ****?!?
man thats like GAY/EMOCORE/SHITHOLE RAP...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/dommaster66
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Genres and Subgenres   

Back to top Go down

Genres and Subgenres
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tip of the Hat :: Rarefied Refrains and Majestic Melodies-
Jump to: