Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Heavy Metal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16110
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Hahaha this is just me bitching about more stuff. Well the topic today is how heavy metal is cast out of society and put into massive stereotypes. I am constantly being ostracized by others because of the fact that i like heavy metal and dress like a heavy metal fan, and quite honestly it pisses me off. On multiple occasions in my life, i have been labeled as a "satanist" or a "goth" (i am neither of those by the way). What the Hell gives? Does the simple fact that i enjoy heavy metal music mean i worship Satan? That's like saying that anyone who enjoys a christian rock band is a christian. It's even worse for me because even though I'm not very religious at all, I am still a Christian. This has been going on ever since metal first appeared with Black Sabbath - everyone regarded it as "Satan music". An example of this is this excerpt from Rolling Stones review of 1970's "Black Sabbath". "Over across the tracks in the industrial side of Cream country lie unskilled laborers like Black Sabbath, which was hyped as a rockin' ritual celebration of the Satanic mass or some such claptrap...". Since then metal has been cast out of society and given many stereotypical labels, and it pisses me off to no end. I don't by any means like "Rap" music, but I do not put false stereotypes on it because it is something some people like. That is why we have different genres - so if you don't like one, you can listen to another. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you have to ostracize it. Well there's my two cents worth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

Number of posts : 15458
Hedonistic Glory : 10731
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:43 pm

Lol heavy metal fans are more regular than Black metal Fans...If you think u are getting Loled At...and it pisses u of...imagine me...when some motherfucker laughs at me i hav to ****ing kick his ass...one way or a nother...i dont give a ****...what ppl thinksa bout be...i rather stay undetected than being the center of attention...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/dommaster66
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9846
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:45 pm

To Axe:
I agree 100%. Stereotypes and prejudice just suck. Thing that sucks more is that it tends to be a crime from most people on both sides of a given fence. I think if a person comes towards you like that with sincerity then just explain away their misconceptions. If someone comes towards you like that like an ass hole then just tell them they are wrong and that they should shove off or something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:46 pm

I definitely couldn't care less about what random people think of me, but so many people sh.t on this genre that it is sometimes even my friends. I just think it's time that people pay metal the respect it deserves. I mean, some of the some talented musicians in world are heavy metal musicians. In the wise words of Dee Snider "Let's see Paul Simon plug into two Marshall stacks and Ride the Lightning!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:48 pm

Most people who don't listen to metal don't have any clue as to how much variety there is in metal music. They will often have one band as their image of all metal music. Personally I think almost everyone in the world would like at least some metal music if they knew of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:48 pm

VacuousReality wrote:
To Axe:
I agree 100%. Stereotypes and prejudice just suck. Thing that sucks more is that it tends to be a crime from most people on both sides of a given fence. I think if a person comes towards you like that with sincerity then just explain away their misconceptions. If someone comes towards you like that like an ass hole then just tell them they are wrong and that they should shove off or something.

I stand up for myself and what i like, but usually it isn't people being friendly who will listen to reason. Occasionally there will be someone with an open mind who will listen to me, rather than just the ass holes who spew insults and garbage... but for the most part, it;s just ignorant asswipes who sh't on whatever they don't like
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:50 pm

I definitely agree. Hell look at this forum. We all have our own, unique tastes in music and metal. That's another thing that makes this genre such a great thing - everyone comes together for the greater genre, we don't harass people who like "Black Metal" or "Power Metal" or anything like that. Well, sometimes, but it's just joking
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:53 pm

Yeah like ppl Liking Dragonforce...LOL...they are like the black sheep of metal..But still we Mantain togheter.
Back to top Go down
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10509
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:56 pm

i get stereotyped constantly so i kinda got used to it
but they suck
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:58 pm

I really hate.....Hate hate hate...Rapers....They lol at you..but they dont seem to realize..wearing big ass tshirts...is Stupid and gay.,.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:03 pm

I despise rap, but i don't like to harass others for what they like. In my opinion it isn't music, but to some people it's the best music. And i don't like to stereotype people who enjoy it because i hate it when they do that to me, hence the giant post i just made lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:04 pm

But..Its as simple as that...
You punch me in the face....I kick you in the balls..

of course ur not gonna **** on someone who has done anithing to you..
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:10 pm

aw come one man, not the scrotum shot! That is cheap bro, do you want to be sterile? I sure don't! For me it's usually you punch me in the face, i kick the living sh.t out of you and you don't come near me anymore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:11 pm

Emotions are entirely superfluous. I might have them occasionally and they can have an effect on my actions but when it comes to my thoughts and beliefs they play no role.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:12 pm

Well like my good friend Brute said on his facebook "you can make fun of my but i won't like it any less". i think that's what it was anyway, but that pretty much sums up how i feel about peoples opinions
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:14 pm

I think a life without emotions its like a good beer...But...warm...not entireley cold....So...you enjoy the most with emotions...Of course...Mercy is a piece of ****....I never knew what mercy was...
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14988
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:22 pm

several things

IB: I HATE "rapers". rappers on the other hand, arent musically talented. lol

Axe" im a good friend lol. and when did i say that? i must have, but i dont remember

to this thread: *sighs deeply, then laughs* oh, we have talked about this before. and i officially give up. my friends all hate the music i listen to. they constantly give me crap.....but you know what...at the end of the day....i couldnt care. at least arguing about music is nicer and more interesting than arguing politics

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:24 pm

brutality,thynameismetal wrote:
several things

IB: I HATE "rapers". rappers on the other hand, arent musically talented. lol

Axe" im a good friend lol. and when did i say that? i must have, but i dont remember

to this thread: *sighs deeply, then laughs* oh, we have talked about this before. and i officially give up. my friends all hate the music i listen to. they constantly give me crap.....but you know what...at the end of the day....i couldnt care. at least arguing about music is nicer and more interesting than arguing politics

true, i used to be one of those guys who sat around and cried about politics with my friends, but im kinda getting fed up with all the sh.t! I just wanna rock! but yeah, i think it is on your facebook info thing or something, i just remember seeing that and thinking "what a nice metal proverb!".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:27 pm

LOL what ever.
Rapers are as bad as Rappers..
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:27 pm

axe, you and i will always be cool, but i must say....i saw your FB profile info and nearly punched a baby. im very very liberal. but to each his own

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:29 pm

Why u said that brute?

awww this.is gay...*walks donw the stairs and runs in the car*
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:30 pm

Hahahaha i get that alot.... "WAIT! YOU ARE A CONSERVATIVE!!!!". I think im the only conservative artist lol, but I'm kinda getting away from politics (i believe i just posted something about this) so it's not really a factor anymore. I have a problem with a few things (i wont post them because i don't want an arguement) but the way i see it, people do what they want and it's not really my place to tell them what they can and cannot do.... unless it affects other people
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:35 pm

then you just got 1000 times cooler. i hate the ultra conservatives that tell me things I HAVE TO DO OTHERWISE ILL GO TO HELL......you see, being an atheist, there is no hell. so the religious nutjobs are saying that my beliefes are invalid when i think their views are just as invalid.
but that is cool that you are fine with things being Kosher. if it doesnt directly harm you, then go ahead. good forward thinking. i can understand that maybe you dont want to marry a gay guy or have an abortion or be involved with one, but you can allow that to happen (right?). i have no problem with that. i may not agree with that...but at least we can still hang lol

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:41 pm

Exactly.... i don't know if that makes me a liberal, but that's about the gist. Abortion is one of the topics that i just don't agree with, but people that do it will have to deal with the consequences of it, if there are any. And that's what i say, i do not support homosexuality and i think it is wrong, but what you do in your bedroom is your business. As long as i don't have to hear about it or see it, i am perfectly fine lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:55 pm

no, not liberal....but there is a term for it. you arent a hardcore conservative.......but your views are conservative
on FB there is some "political party thing" that will tell you what you are. ha ha, i scored a "Nancy Pelosi" it said if i was any more Left i would be in Stalins backyard

i can completely understand why people find abortion or gay marriage wrong. but to prevent other people from doing iot is selfish and wrong. we cannot discriminate on sexual preference.
and im not for giving EVERYONE abortions, but i think women should have the option, provided they dont terminate like 7 months in. i think the 1st trimester rule is fine

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:56 pm

It's hard to go through life not liking the people you disagree with. Seriously all I ever ask is that a person be calm and civilized. On the other hand I love discussing and/or debating things. Depending on the strength of my opponent I do it for different reasons. If I feel they aren't putting up a good fight then I'll try to understand their point of view. If they are putting up a good fight then I'll put up my best fight and at the end evaluate the exchange and see if a change in positions would give me a stronger position or not.

Last edited by VacuousReality on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:03 pm

To Brute: i think abortion is fine in some situations, such as a rape pregnancy or if the mother has AIDS or some other disease that will ensure a terrible quality life for the child. But as for people who are just irresponsible, it's not okay. But you can't give it to some people and not others so you will always get that. And as for gay marriage, i have gone through a lot of different opinions about that. I'm kind alike you now where I just don't care, if you want to, go ahead. I guess i'll look up that test lol, i'm interested to see what i would be classified as according to them.

To VR. +rep. That is exactly how i feel, put into better words than i could put it in to. I love having intelligent discussions/debates with people, that's why i joined this forum. I can't stand talking to people who are just plain intolerant and ignorant, and who won't listen to the other sides point of view. And that's one thing i've learned in my life - you can't go through it hating the people you disagree with, because you will never agree with someone 100% of the time. And, when it comes down to it, disagreements are usually over trivial matters that don't matter at the end of the day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:09 pm

VC, i get the feeling i wouldnt like debating with you. you are so well spoken and organized. it would be like an elegant samurai sword going up against a fish.
i know so little, and never have supporting evidence, but i always value other's opinions and their thoughts, even if mine suck (or unless they are way crazy)

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:11 pm

Hahaha i always try to have supporting evidence, but sometimes i just have my knowledge that is most likely wrong lol. Hey, i actually had some for this little rant of mine! But that is true, you are a pretty good speaker (typer)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:12 pm

I accidentally made another post.
-rep please.

Last edited by VacuousReality on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:13 pm

Does someone have a link for the test?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:48 pm

Forming an argument is an art while gathering evidence is a science. You really don't have to know much to be good at making arguments. For those gaps in knowledge you can simply fill up by reading online or getting a book. Just figure out what you want to debate and then go read some about it and get ideas flowing. Make an argument.

A logical argument is an argument that is valid. All that means is that it flows.

A valid argument:
1. All cats are dogs.
2. My watch is a cat.
3. Therefore my watch is a dog.

An invalid argument:
1. Cats are gay.
2. Dogs are cool.
3. Therefore cats are not dogs.

For the first argument if it is true that all cats are dogs and it is true that my watch is a cat then it *must* be true that my watch is a dog. The premises are false but the logic is valid.

The second argument however is not necessarily true. It has invalid logic. It could be that cats are not only gay but also cool and that dogs are not only cool but also gay. If one wanted to make it into a logically valid argument then they should make it look like this...

1. Cats are gay.
2. Dogs are cool.
3. Things that are cool cannot be gay.
4. Dogs are not gay. (2, 3)
5. If a dog was a cat then it would both be gay and not gay. (1, 4)
6. But something cannot be both gay and not gay.
6. Therefore dogs are not cats. (5, 6)

Something like that, you get the idea. Then when someone challenges you and says, "Dogs are not cool," you could go gather evidence that dogs are cool. Of course you would need to explain what you meant by cool in the argument...such vagueness leads to confusion. But this is just an example...you get the idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:49 pm

im lost now vacaous
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:51 pm

Hmmmm that is an interesting lesson.

here is my argument

METAL is cool
RAP sucks
Nu-Metal cannot be cool and suck at the same time
therefore, Nu-Metal's new genre is feces-music
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:53 pm

Actually I think that would be more going in the direction that nu-metal is impossible.
(adding in that nu-metal is both rap and metal, and that suckage and coolness are incompatible)

=S?

Here is one of the better political tests by the way...
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:56 pm

Possibly.... or it could support the argument that Nu-Metal is not metal at all, because if nu-Metal is impossible, it would either have to be rap or metal. Limp Bizkit is not metal. Or we could also use that to support the argument that Scott Ian needs to receive a black eye for coming up with the idea to combine rap and metal. (Scot Ian, you're awesome, but Nu-Metal is a travesty YOU caused)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:00 pm

i am aware of how to aruge, just i usually fall into the "invalid" catagory. my thoughts are not very well processed. ther are debaters in this world and then there are loud annoying people. i fall into the second catagory.

has anyone ever heard the "super man that ho" song? it is RAP boooo
but one of the lyrics is

Im hot cuse im Fly
you aint cuse you not

my com Sci major friend made that into an argument about math

if p then q
if not p then not q

simple math logic and i will always remember that infernal song

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25407
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:05 pm

I hate how the teenage mind works
I often want to use metal songs in projects
This is what peoples minds process
Metal-Loud-Yelling=Screamo=Emo
Worst chain thought ever

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:05 pm

brutality,thynameismetal wrote:
i am aware of how to aruge, just i usually fall into the "invalid" catagory. my thoughts are not very well processed. ther are debaters in this world and then there are loud annoying people. i fall into the second catagory.

has anyone ever heard the "super man that ho" song? it is RAP boooo
but one of the lyrics is

Im hot cuse im Fly
you aint cuse you not

my com Sci major friend made that into an argument about math

if p then q
if not p then not q

simple math logic and i will always remember that infernal song

AH! "SOULJA BOY"! NO! HOW DARE YOU TAINT OUR FORUMS!!!! -REP!!!!!! lol jk, yeah i've heard of it, and i despise it. That's kinda like the song by America "Horse With No Name", except it's actually good lol. I'll post a link, you'll understand how redundant and stupid the lyrics are lol. Ugh i'm ashamed to say this, but my brother likes hip hop and sh!t. He's like the preppy hollister whore who listens to all that crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0KKGdb4qUY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:06 pm

fixmeup wrote:
I hate how the teenage mind works
I often want to use metal songs in projects
This is what peoples minds process
Metal-Loud-Yelling=Screamo=Emo
Worst chain thought ever

or Metal = Screamo = **** = Satanism. I believe i covered that in my daily rant lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:06 pm

ok if people relate metal to emos i go beserk
Back to top Go down
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11813
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:13 pm

Yeah as previously stated I like screamo but their is a vast difference. My friend who is a big scremo fan and I ganged up on someone one time who said that lol it was a lot of fun. I mean a lot of screamo/post hardcore fans are just as annoyed by it being called metal as we are metal being called screamo so we should like ****ing unite and start a program to tell stupid people the difference. I mean uneducated people ^_^
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heavy Metal   

Back to top Go down

Heavy Metal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1