Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

DEAD True Story

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

Number of posts : 15458
Hedonistic Glory : 10609
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: DEAD True Story   Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Dead...He was the vocalist of early mayhem...
this is his Spooky story...ufff i got chills.

Per Yngve Ohlin (January 16, 1969 – April 8, 1991), better known by his stage name Dead, was a Swedish black metal vocalist best known for his work with Norwegian black metal band Mayhem. He also performed as vocalist of the Swedish death metal band Morbid on their demo December Moon.

Personality

In interviews, fellow musicians often described Ohlin as a strange and introverted person. Fellow bandmember Hellhammer described Ohlin as "a very strange personality ... depressed, melancholic, and dark."[1] Likewise, Mayhem guitarist Euronymous once stated "I honestly think Dead is mentally insane. Which other way can you describe a guy who does not eat in order to get starving wounds? Or who has a t-shirt with funeral announcements on it?"[2]

According to Emperor drummer Bård "Faust" Eithun:

"He (Dead) wasn't a guy you could know very well. I think even the other guys in Mayhem didn't know him very well. He was hard to get close to. I met him two weeks before he died. I'd met him maybe six to eight times, in all. He had lots of weird ideas. I remember Aarseth was talking about him and said he did not have any humour. He did, but it was very obscure. Honestly, I don't think he was enjoying living in this world

Performances

For concerts, Ohlin went to great lengths to achieve the image and atmosphere he desired. From the beginning of his career he was known to wear "corpse paint", which involved covering his face with black and white makeup. According to Necrobutcher, "It wasn't anything to do with the way Kiss and Alice Cooper used makeup. Dead actually wanted to look like a corpse. He didn't do it to look cool."[3] Additionally, Hellhammer claimed that Ohlin "was the first black metal musician to use corpse paint."[4]

In order to complete his corpse-like image, Ohlin would bury his clothes before a concert and dig them up again to wear on the night of the event. According to Hellhammer:

Before the shows, Dead used to bury his clothes into the ground so that they could start to rot and get that "grave" scent. He was a "corpse" on a stage. Once he even asked us to bury him in the ground - he wanted his skin to become pale.[5]

Whilst singing on stage, Ohlin would often cut himself with hunting knives and broken glass. He claimed to be fascinated by people's reactions to this. During one concert in Sarpsborg during February 1990, Ohlin cut himself so badly that he had to be taken to hospital due to blood loss.[citation needed]

During one tour with Mayhem he found a dead crow, which he collected and stored in a jar. He often carried it around with him and would smell the bird before performing, in order to sing "with the stench of death in his nostrils."

Suicide

At some point in 1990, the members of Mayhem moved to "an old house in the forest" near Oslo.[6] Hellhammer claimed that Ohlin "just sat in his room and became more and more depressed" and that there was a lot of arguing between Ohlin and Aarseth.[1]

On 8 April 1991, Ohlin committed suicide in the house owned by the band. He was found by Aarseth with slit wrists and a shotgun round to the head. The shotgun was allegedly owned by Aarseth.[1] Ohlin's suicide note read "Excuse all the blood" and included an apology for firing the weapon indoors. Instead of calling the police, Aarseth went to a nearby store and bought a disposable camera to photograph the corpse, after re-arranging some items.[1] Necrobutcher claimed that "I think Øystein was shocked by Dead's suicide, and taking the photographs was the only way he could cope with it."[3] One of these photographs was later stolen and used as the cover of a bootleg live album entitled Dawn of the Black Hearts.[7]

Eventually, rumours surfaced that Aarseth made a stew with pieces of Ohlin's brain, and made necklaces with fragments of Ohlin's skull. The band later stated that the former rumour was false, but that the latter was true.[8] Additionally, Aarseth claimed to have given these necklaces to musicians he deemed worthy. Necrobutcher noted that "people became more aware of the (black metal) scene after Dead had shot himself ... I think it was Dead's suicide that really changed the scene."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/dommaster66
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14866
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: DEAD True Story   Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:28 pm

and what did they do? they made him the album cover....highly regarded as the MOST offensive album art of all time

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

PostSubject: Re: DEAD True Story   Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:36 pm

Yes.
This is the actual Album Cover(NSFW)

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10387
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: DEAD True Story   Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:58 pm

i heard about this once

kinda creepy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11691
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: DEAD True Story   Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:58 am

Yeah he had a lot of problems being the only Swedish member of the band relocated to Norway he didn't have any of his friends with him and he didn't make friends easily it was also rumored that he was upset with the status of the band and that they weren't going anywhere nearly as fast as he wanted that and his apparent psycological problems. Still imo one of the best bm vocalists ever. His work in his prior band Morbid is ****ing amazing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

PostSubject: Re: DEAD True Story   Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:13 am

yeah...his vocals are insane...i hav the Live in Lipzieg Record...on my pc...
Back to top Go down
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11691
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: DEAD True Story   Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:57 pm

That's not his best stuff imo. But it is really good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9724
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: DEAD True Story   Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:01 pm

NachoTrivium wrote:
yeah...his vocals are insane...i hav the Live in Lipzieg Record...on my pc...

...NEGATIVE REP!
Lol just kidding. The reason I don't buy albums is because I don't want my dad to know what kind of music I listen to or even that I like music, although I assume he knows that. He listens to metal music sometimes as well but I don't know...I'm just kind of shy. When I turn 18 I'm going to start my collection though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

PostSubject: Re: DEAD True Story   Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:10 pm

So you dont like mayhem?
early Mayhem?
Back to top Go down