Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Love at first sound?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9842
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Love at first sound?   Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:22 pm

I was at metal-archives and just decided to pick out some random album that got a 100% rating to see if I would like it. Surprisingly enough I didn't find a 100% rating for quite a while. I ended up going back several days. Then I finally found a 100% rating and clicked to read it.

For Sturmgang by Nachtreich (Ger)

Breathtaking...-100%
"Very few albums in my collection are deserving of a perfect score, but this is one of them. I cannot stop listening to this amazing release, and it truly pains me to think of how obscure and unknown these consummate master musicians are. I can't remember the last time I listened to an album as tight and professional as Nachtreich's Sturmgang.

There is not much traditional black metal in this at all, if that label is taken to refer to distorted guitars and high-pitched screaming. It is entirely instrumental, and the rock instrumentation - bass, guitar and drums - take the backseat to the extraordinary strings that drive the album. Overall the release is more classical than anything, but that doesn't stop it from capturing the same melancholy air that surrounds more traditional black metal albums. It is beautiful and mournful and moving all at once.

It is hard to compare this band to other artists. I feel that the music of Nachtreich is not entirely dissimilar to the more sorrowful pieces composed by Nobuo Uematsu (of Final Fantasy fame), but others may disagree. I can only advise anyone with the slightest love for either (or both) black metal and classical to check out Nachtreich for themselves and experience first-hand the wonderful music that I've come to care so deeply about."
-Tiriel

I exited to the main band page to see the genre, "Neoclassical Folk/Ambient, Black Metal". That sounded really interesting to me and reminded me of a certain other band I loved. I then scrolled down to see their discography, all demos! 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 demos in a row and nothing else. The review I read was for the last demo so I clicked on it and saw it was pretty long. Over 50 minutes...in 6 songs. The next stage was to go to youtube to give it a listen. Of course this is really obscure so I only found two songs from that album. I listened to the second song and it was a great classical song. I then listened to the first 5 seconds of the second to last song but what I heard made me press pause and refuse to hear more. When I heard it I just got the feeling that it was supposed to be built up to because it was so epic and otherwordly. I'm now making it my goal to hear this whole demo one way or another.

What are some bands that you've fell in love with at first sound?

Last edited by VacuousReality on Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5567
Joined In : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Love at first sound?   Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:36 pm

Nachtreich sounds really cool just from the stuff on Youtube.

There's been a few bands I've liked from the first time I've heard them, but I'd say the band that hooked me the most on a genre would be Tool. They totally got me into all the post-metal stuff, which I'm huge on now. They may not be the BEST band in the world, but I hadn't heard anything like them before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14984
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Love at first sound?   Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:47 pm

well, i heard scar symmetry a long time ago and didnt like it. i wasnt in the mdm stage of my life. when i picked it up again, it was amazing. i loved it completely.

but maybe that isnt the best example
Metallica
Dreamtheater.

nuff said

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11809
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Love at first sound?   Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:33 pm

Damn I have a lot of those

Maiden, Priest, The Dead Kennedys, King Diamond, A Faylene Sky, The Regan Youth, Ramones, Misfits, Slayer, Blodarv, The Schoolyard Heroes, ect ect ect. Ton's I could mention I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10505
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Love at first sound?   Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:48 pm

when i first heard slayer and iced earth and ensiferum
I actually have a ton
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Love at first sound?   Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:36 pm

Yeah me too man.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25403
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Love at first sound?   Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:43 pm

In Flames - Crawl Through Knives
Yup, along with Ensiferum

VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Love at first sound?   Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:52 am

I found a place to buy the demo but it's in Germany...
http://www.blackscaped.de/index.php?manufacturers_id=1409&ref=7
To make matters worse there are only 200 copies. I ran through the ordering process just to see what it was like and it was quite confusing.

My back-up plan is to download it online but that doesn't seem to be working out incredibly well either. Bittorrent is giving me the middle finger right now and limewire refuses to work. I know limewire is probably not the best but I used it back in the day and haven't downloaded any music for quite a while.

I also found their website directly but it isn't geared for business really. I don't know if you are supposed to contact them to get it or what. That seems to be the only way...writing them up an email. But...they are German so...Google translator? Wow I'm just so far behind on this one. The whole website is in German. I can only read it because I'm using the website translator. In English the band is called Night Empire and the album is "Assault Course".

Looking through their list of availability for the few albums they have...a good number of them are for friends only.

Random good song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh_kwp7Catw (cut off by a little over a minute)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Love at first sound?   Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:40 pm

I have some buddies who collect stuff like that if you want me to ask around for you.
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Love at first sound?   Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:51 pm

I'm really excited to announce that my bittorrent, since the beginning of today, is a whopping 1.0% done. Even by slow standards that's pretty slow.

The demo is once again...
Nachtreich - Sturmgang
It's 55 minutes long, a tape (not a cd), and there are 200 copies I believe. Three of five of their albums were released for friends only. The other one was 200 copies as well I believe. If you find a person who knows them that would be pretty awesome, thanks.

Here is one of their songs from a different album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL8gT8wBor8

Actually this website looks more complete: http://www.karge-welten.de/
Apparently you email them to order it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Love at first sound?   Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:46 am

Yeah dude, you apparently haven't been in the underground distros much huh Smile most of the fan distros run via the old email and personal contact method. :copter:
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Love at first sound?   Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:36 am

Well I always had the conception that the underground was still mildly known. This is a whole new level of underground to me. Also I didn't think there would be very much worth checking out at this level of popularity. I never knew there were bands with a completely professional and fresh sound.

I checked out some of the other bands and they were all pretty cool but I still like Nachtreich the best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Love at first sound?   Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:28 pm

Yeah there are a lot of really good underground bands that are very serious about their music and work their asses off for practically nothing. Some really good people running the distros and labels as well. And a lot of elitist assholes you just have to ignore.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Love at first sound?   

Back to top Go down

Love at first sound?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1