Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The New iPod

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9723
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: The New iPod   Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:55 pm

I'll keep a list of what I put on my iPod and what I think of it.

Albums will be in chronological order and bands will be in alphabetical order. Updates will be put in bold.
Albums I love will be in RED!
Albums I like a lot will be in BLUE.
Albums I moderately like are in WHITE.
Albums I dislike are in BROWN.
Albums I hate will be in YELLOW.

_I'll try not to be too repetitive...
-Liberation
_First full-release by 1349, masters of raw black metal.
-Beyond the Apocalypse
_Pretty much the same as the first album.
-Hellfire
_Just as raw as the others but I like this album the most because just about every song has at least one riff that creates the atmosphere of one sitting in hell next to a fire, hence the album name.

Bal-Sagoth
_This was one of my first bands I got on my iPod just to try them out. I saw they had some pretty good ratings and the genre and album art looked really appealing. Ultimately it wasn't as good as what I expected but I still find myself listening to it quite often. It's called symphonic/epic black metal and I suppose that fits them about as good as anything. Some of the slower parts and deep/clean vocals put me off a little as they just don't seem to contribute much or at worst come across as corny (how do you make the cosmos corny?). The first album seemed the heaviest but for a band like this it is more about atmosphere. Fans of epic metal who can tolerate a longer slower album can check this out.
-A Dark Moon Broods Over Lemuria
-Starfire Burning Upon Ice Veiled Throne Ultima Thule
-The Power Cosmic

ColdWorld
_ColdWorld is a one-man depressive black metal band with a winter theme.
-Melancholie˛
_I really like this album and band. Of all depressive black metal lately I've really liked the winter approach. I blasted this in my when I was going to bed last night and it was a great experience although the beginning of the album was a little stronger than the end, but that might be just because I was beginning to become really tired. The surprising thing about this band is that the music is actually quite angry and explosive at times. Very frequently the singer will simply let out a horrible scream (and it won't be a part of the lyrics either, a pure and simple scream). A quite emotional band with somewhat intuitive music but a lot of variety and subtleties. I will probably be looking for their other stuff as well and will buy this album if I get the chance.

Kaltetod
-Leere
_I haven't heard this enough to form an opinion about the whole album but god damn...the first song...what can a person say about the first song of this album? I don't know if everyone hears the same thing I hear, but to me the first song is the most blistering otherworldly blast of emotional black metal ever. To me it is the absolute most intense song I have ever heard out of the 10,000 or so songs I have heard in my life...and by a long shot. I don't know if everyone will hear what I hear or feel what I feel when I hear this song but for me the first song alone gives it the red color.

Mutiilation
-Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul
_A blue colored album is an album that I like a lot, and that's exactly true in this case. It's emotionally crippling in much the same way I found Mayhem's "Ordo Ad Chao" to be, only far less artful and far more raw. Listening to this can actually be quite painful. It is too raw and torturous for me to fully appreciate, but it's extremely convincing and I find myself listening to it quite a bit. Some of the songs break up the pattern a little bit (like song #3 is a relief after song #2). The production for the most part is typically bad and good. I do have to complain about the brief 1-2 second production dip in song #2 because it is physically painful, but if one can tolerate the pain in the music that will surely pose no problem. I'm going to have to try to find what lyrics I can as I've read them before and they are very good.

Nachtreich
_One of my favorites, a dark/ambient classical band.
-Von Dornen Und Selbstmord
_This is a demo that is about 22 minutes long or something like that. It was the first thing they ever had available to the public and there are 200 copies in existence. Really good.
-Sturmgang
_This is their only other release that is available and there are also only 200 copies in existence. This one is much longer, 55 minutes, and pretty much just as good as the former only more epic and structured.

Nile
_Death Metal
-Annihilation of the Wicked
_A really good death metal album that I wouldn't feel right without.

Sigh
_Avant-garde black metal.
-Hangman's Hymn
_I was really glad that I got this album on my iPod because it is one of the most entertaining.
_May 04 2009_I downgraded this album from red to blue for a pretty simple reason. The first half of this album is absolutely awesome with maniacal laughs transitioning into extremely angry and evil music flavored by what would be a corny Gothic atmosphere if the music wasn't so convincing in its insanity. Then the last half of the album isn't really nearly as entertaining as the first half. Still an absolute awesome album overall though.

Ulver
_Favorite band.
-Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Capitler
_Black/folk metal. This is the first thing I heard by them and it has become one of my favorites.
-Kveldssanger
_A folk metal album with the black/depressing atmosphere that Ulver is good at. Not my favorite of the black metal trilogy but I do listen to it from time to time. This album actually makes me pretty depressed so I listen to it a little less for that reason.
-Nattens Madrigal: Aatte Hymne til Ulven i Manden
_This is a must hear album for any fan of black metal.

Vargnatt
_Depressive Black Metal
-Nur ein Traum
_This band comes from the same circle as Nachtreich so if you haven't heard of it you know why. From hearing this album I think this band has huge potential. A lot of the album is simply kind of dull and boring and repetitive. However there are parts that are absolutely wonderful, epic, and that completely take you to a different world. I'm glad to have it on my iPod and find that I listen to it quite a bit.

Watain
_Black Metal
-Casus Luciferi
_I like Watain a lot and this is probably my favorite album by them. I listen to this one quite a bit.
_May 15 2009_I downgraded this album from red to blue because I thought the music could use more aggression. I love the atmosphere and sound but there's little force behind it and that takes away from the experience.

Wintersun
_Melodic Death Metal / Power Metal / Winter Atmosphere
-Wintersun
_Epic winter fury melodic death metal. Must hear for any fan of power metal or melodic death metal.

LINKS:
Vargnatt - Nur ein Traum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8MXNt0_SM8

Kaltetod - Wiederhall Der Leere
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQrwwKCQiBo
(1 minute and 32 seconds cut off at the end)

ColdWorld - A Dream of a Dead Sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_LTB3YFOBg&feature=related
(First song of the album Melancholie˛)

Updates:
May 04 2009: Artist Kaltetod added, Kaltetod's "Leere" added, Sigh's "Hangman's Hymn" downgraded from red to blue, Kaltetod's song "Wiederhall Der Leere" added to the links section.

May 07 2009: Artist ColdWorld added, ColdWorld's "Melancholie˛" added, ColdWorld's song "A Dream of a Dead Sun" added to the links section, format change and various small changes made.

May 15 2009: Watain's album "Casus Lucerfi" downgraded from red to blue, Mutiilation's album "Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul" added, no more bold.

Last edited by VacuousReality on Fri May 15, 2009 3:54 am; edited 14 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25284
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:02 pm

Nice going man
Good job
I look forward to see some angry critising soon haha

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15987
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:16 pm

All I have to say is Wintersun but no Ensiferum?

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:10 am

Wintersun holds somewhat of a special place in my heart because I used to listen to it for long hours when I would go to bed. It was a wonderful experience. I might get Ensiferum on there sometime though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Mon May 04, 2009 3:26 am

Updated*
May 04 2009: Artist Kaltetod added, Kaltetod's "Leere" added, Sigh's "Hangman's Hymn" downgraded from red to blue, Kaltetod's song "Wiederhall Der Leere" added to the links section.

(The history of updates is at the bottom of the post and the last updates are in bold on the list).

Quick Comments: Have to check out Kaltetod, link at bottom. I explain why I downgraded Sigh's album from red to blue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 9:39 pm

Updated*
May 07 2009: Artist ColdWorld added, ColdWorld's "Melancholie˛" added, ColdWorld's song "A Dream of a Dead Sun" added to the links section, format change and various small changes made.

Comments: I will put some of their songs on the Midnight Challenge which I haven't forgotten about by the way. I already have some of it done and will finish it up sometime soon.

Last edited by VacuousReality on Thu May 07, 2009 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

Number of posts : 15458
Hedonistic Glory : 10608
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 9:41 pm

my ipod list is lost in the deepths of Kar-Dom
Cuz it died 4 months ago Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/dommaster66
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 9:44 pm

That sucks. I really hope my iPod lasts a few years. It makes weird noises when it loads pictures which are pretty loud but it's supposed to be normal in a way. I do think mine is louder than normal though...I don't know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 9:47 pm

Here is a history of my mp3 players

First mp3 player, some crap 512 mb or something. Held a little more than 100 songs. It got smashed when it fell down in the chair

Second mp3 player. A nice 6 gb one. I had it for about half a year, then all of a sudden it started flashing a message "connect to computer". When I connected it, it shut off and wouldn't turn on again.

third mp3 player. A nice 30gb Zune. Had it for one week, then everything on it stopped working. Now it won't sync music properly, and I can't fit more than 50 songs on it before it stops working.

Fourth mp3 player. My moms old 4gb one. I had it for about 2 weeks, then it stopped turning on. It won't charge now or turn on.

So now I'm using my old broken zune, which won't let me put hardly any music on it. Here's what I have on it

Sonata Arctica
Falconer
Kamelot
Nightwish
Ensiferum

Any more and it breaks. Totals to about 50 songs

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 9:48 pm

Oh, and sorry for thread jacking

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14865
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 11:15 pm

dude VC<
Thanks for Nachtreich, they are way awesome. i told you it makes great background music for working. and i will check out that band you said sounds like them

1st mp3 player - 512mb iRiver....still works, only on XP though
2nd 8 GB Creative Zen Mirco. good, still works,bearly holds a charge, will only work with XP
3rd 30 GB hard disk mp3 video and music and pics. Creative Zen M. the "hold" button thought it was always on hold, so i fixed it, it worked, then promptly wouldnt charge, then it died. GAY
4th 32 GB flash Creative Zen/ It also hold very little charge

i have spent almost 1000$ in creative products. and they keep dying on me. i will rite them some nasty reviews and see if i can get sth for free. im pissed

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11690
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 11:18 pm

My turn lol

1st- A 1gig Sansa that my mom got me lasted less than a year and got fried by my comp.
2nd- Traded it for a 1 gig Sony that had a glitch in it (thank bog for warentys lol)
3rd- A 2 gig Sansa that had a bug of some kind at almost a year
4th- 8 Gig sansa that I'm pretty fond of. It's a little over a year old got a card to make it 16 and it's charge kinda holds for a few hours and it takes like 5 min to turn on lol. But I've used the hell out of it so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25284
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 11:19 pm

My turn
Sister broke ipod

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 11:20 pm

i swear they make these things to break
and i like how everyone keeps getting dicked....but still buys the same brand

and the "bog" comment, though maybe unintentional, was quite funny

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
EPhear
Top Lad

Number of posts : 106
Hedonistic Glory : 3176
Joined In : 2009-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 11:23 pm

Proud apple hater. I will also say that my Zune has never experienced massive fail. I'm quite content at the moment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 11:25 pm

oh forgot to mention, i had the 80 gb ipod classic for like a week AND I RETURNED IT CUSE I HATE APPLE

they are so backwards and ridiculous. once you go creative you never go back

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 11:29 pm

Apple blows imo

I'm glad my "history of sh!t mp3 players" caught on. Music is my lifeline too, I almost need a working mp3 player to survive here.

It seems like ipods are so popular even though they are complete sh!t. Microsoft trumps apple in every department. I know no one who has had an ipod for more than a year without it breaking, but then again, it doesn't look like we've had much luck with anything else

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 11:32 pm

wellll....i wouldnt get too carried away. apple is good for somethings, just not making music players

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 11:34 pm

Same here man I ****ing hate Ipod's my mp3 thing works ok cause I have a laptop I carry with me to school and get to use for at least an hour of good music and while I'm at home I can use it. And yeah I love my Sansa's they just kept getting screwed over by soemthing else like it was never directly the mp3 that exploded lol. I would like a bigger mp3 though size wise the card makes it take forever to load. Oh well I'll just use the one I got for at least another year if I can. And I agree going a day without music is awful.
Back to top Go down
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 11:36 pm

brutality,thynameismetal wrote:
wellll....i wouldnt get too carried away. apple is good for somethings, just not making music players

Now I will give Ipod it's props with Itunes if you download (legally) it's the best system imo. But I buy CD's so for me Itunes is a pain in the ass so I don't use the Ipod.
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 11:39 pm

NOOOOoOOoOoOooooooOOOOoOOoOOooooo

ITUNES IS GHASTLY! horrendous. ridiculous. i abhor itunes with a fiery passion. it may be a good place to buy and such, but WMP 11 syncs with microsoft stuff nearly (total guess) 20% quicker. the finding album info stuff is lightyears easier. it is sooo much faster

sorry dude, dont have your back on this one

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 11:42 pm

Really, I've always heard Itunes was good but again I'm working off second hand knowledge so I'll go with you on this one. And yeah I was going with buying not using lol. Though amazon's mp3 thing works well I've used it a few times.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 11:44 pm

NOOOOoOOoOoOooooooOOOOoOOoOOooooo

ITUNES IS GHASTLY! horrendous. ridiculous. i abhor itunes with a fiery passion. it may be a good place to buy and such, but WMP 11 syncs with microsoft stuff nearly (total guess) 20% quicker. the finding album info stuff is lightyears easier. it is sooo much faster

sorry dude, dont have your back on this one

Ummmm I'm sorry, but your use of "abhor" is out of context, and it really bothers me lol.

But I agree, 100 percent-o (just practicing my espanol)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 11:48 pm

dont know if you were joking axe...but i checked, and i did use it correctly.
and blackstar...i wouldnt know, i have never bought music online.....but i have used it as a media manager.and it shocked me to find out how much it sucked

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 11:49 pm

lol how are you supposed to use "abhor" really? In other news I'm thinking about using Amazon to order a few songs I need that I don't really want the whole albums *ponders*
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 11:50 pm

dont know if you were joking axe...but i checked, and i did use it correctly.
and blackstar...i wouldnt know, i have never bought music online.....but i have used it as a media manager.and it shocked me to find out how much it sucked

I was joking lol, I know it was right.

And itunes sucks ass. Zune's software is actually surprisingly well made and easy to use, so I use that.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 11:52 pm

You say "i abhor sth"
it means to loathe. to hate. here
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/abhor

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 11:56 pm

Yeah Zune's are about the best of the "major" companies. Sansa is my favorite of the minor and I've heard good things about creative zen.
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Thu May 07, 2009 11:59 pm

im partial to creative....my bro and i bought sansas' for our parents....i played with it for a minute and its not my fav....better than ipod tho

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Fri May 08, 2009 12:00 am

iTunes is fine for me. I know how to use it. The most important thing is to turn of automatic syncing because that **** sucks. Matter of fact automatic syncing breaks down once you have lots of stuff on your iPod so you HAVE to shut it off. I like iTunes though. It has lots of options that you can take or leave and, if you know how to mess with the options, provides little hassles. It is a ****ing computer hog though.

The Zune sounds really good and it was really close in quality to the iPod. I kind of think the Zune is better for my purposes but I went with something I was more familiar with this time around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Fri May 08, 2009 12:01 am

May get a creative for my next one with that reccomend then.
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Fri May 08, 2009 12:07 am

well, this may be change able, but i didnt like that if i wanted to add one song....i had to sync the librabry. with microsoft, you can add one song at a time if you like., thats why i like it....
oh and when it isnt there, it doesnt erase like itunes did for me.

and for apple products, there was no "bookmark" feature. they claimed it would pick up where you left off, but that didnt work for me either. i also dont like that when i get to "z" i can loop over to "a". i dont like that the on the fly adding to playlist was soooo complicated.

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Fri May 08, 2009 1:48 am

You can set up manual syncing for iTunes and then you won't have to worry about all that erasing your data when your library is empty stuff. You can also add things simply by dragging and dropping it onto the iPod. It will put that on it, only that on it, and afterwords nothing. Your iPod basically becomes a folder...very simple and very recommended.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   Fri May 15, 2009 3:52 am

Update*
May 15 2009: Watain's album "Casus Lucerfi" downgraded from red to blue, Mutiilation's album "Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul" added, no more bold.

Comments: The whole bold thing was unnecessary and annoying to keep track of so I stopped doing it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The New iPod   

Back to top Go down

The New iPod
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1