Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Midnight Challenge [1]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9786
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Sat May 16, 2009 7:41 pm

Introduction: Well when I first came up with this idea I thought I would spend a lot of time on it and really make it something awesome. I was about to do just that and then I realized one of my speakers wasn't working. I got discouraged and time dragged on and I knew I would have to do it eventually and ultimately decided that I would do a version 1 so to speak. I tried to listen to some of this stuff but with only one ear doing the listening (I have to use headphones) but it got kind of difficult and my ear would start to hurt. The good news is that there is a lot of great stuff in this list; I'm confident that this thing has its moments. The bad news is that I didn't get to listen to every song and just kind of piled a lot of it in there and there isn't much of an order to it all. Notice that this might be painful to listen to at times but that was understood in the beginning (anything depressive that lasts for four hours would have to involve a little pain). I do plan to go back, once I get my speakers working, and remove some stuff while adding some other stuff and putting the list into a more reasonable order. I'm not going to do all new songs though because a lot of the songs here are must-haves.

Anyways I apologize for all of this. I'm not sure exactly how long this is all is but my guess is about 4 hours since it is 44 songs (45 videos) that tend to be longer. With that in mind I say start no sooner than 8:00 pm and no later than 11:00 pm.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=74B1BEBC01E5C6FF

Special Thanks To:
ImendiaBurzum, for supplying me with a plethora of songs and getting me into new bands.
BlackStar, for encouragement and exposing me to some good bands (like Striborg).
And thanks to both and everyone else for being overall awesome people and making this a great community.

Last edited by VacuousReality on Sun May 17, 2009 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

Number of posts : 15458
Hedonistic Glory : 10671
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Sat May 16, 2009 7:57 pm

Nice
ill try it tonigth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/dommaster66
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:59 pm

All right now that my speakers are working I can finally take the challenge myself. I just started! I'm curious to see how cool this ends up being. I might make a second version afterwords depending on how things end up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Kur
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 1605
Hedonistic Glory : 4737
Joined In : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:49 am

since you seem to be into depressive/suicidal music, you should check out nazhand from Iran. creepy, creepy stuff

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3540273363

http://kermanmetal.blogfa.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://hatrednation.blogspot.com/
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:08 am

You seem to have an incredible knowledge of metal music! Awesome. I'll definitely check them out when I'm done with this challenge; I'm reading around and they look very interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Kur
True Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:14 am

i could never complete such a challenge because i can barely sit through one horrible you tube quality video much less 4 hours
Back to top Go down
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5511
Joined In : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:27 am

Well that ^, I can't stand the sound quality... But you do have some really good picks in there. And yes, anything relating to Black Metal that Kur reccomends is worth downloading.

He has kinda shitty taste in Death though... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Kur
True Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:31 am

not the cannibal corpse thing again

and i'm not sure if anyone will like nazhand or not. it's very weird.

Last edited by Lord Kur on Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:32 am

Well everyone's taste suits themselves perfectly. As for the quality...yeah...but this is the way I seek out bands and stuff so I don't mind so much. This has one of my arguably most favorite songs cut off right before the good part so you could maybe make a guess about how much quality was the focus here. The "soul" is still there and that is all I care about when it comes to listening to a bunch of single songs from various artists.

Last edited by VacuousReality on Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5511
Joined In : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:33 am

Lord Kur wrote:
not the cannibal corpse thing again

Haha, couldn't resist...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:34 am

I've never been hugely into Cannibal Corpse but I do like some of their songs and can enjoy their music in general. I haven't heard much of their earlier stuff so that may be kind of odd. I have a pretty bad habit of not listening to essential things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:10 pm

i see we have another sdbm fan here
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Man Nazhand has soul. I'm listening to the "Life Ruins" album and the music isn't very original but damn I am really convinced by them. Pretty special stuff.

Some of their other stuff might sound different though. At metal-archives it says that they were accepted into the archives because of the album "Life Ruins" which suggests that there other stuff might be different. I'll check out some of the other stuff as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Kur
True Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:11 am

all of the stuff i heard has metal parts, too, so i'm confused by that metal archives comment

they all have lots of ambient parts

for iran, it's pretty interesting. also, although it's obviously supposed to be super depressing suicidal music, a lot of times it's actually rather uplifting
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:55 am

"World of Akhsheyjs" is an excellent song. The rest is good but that one is by far my favorite. Yeah the Iran thing is very interesting and from what I've read Nazhand (the person) seems like a really cool guy.

Well it reads, "Acceptance based on the Life Ruins album." I suppose that could just mean that it was all they based the acceptance on but that other albums may have worked as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:46 pm

I reccomend you some stutthoff if you like good dark atmosphere...or some Mutiilation if you like rawest ambientation
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14928
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:39 pm

the way i know see it.....all this "dark/ambient/depressing/suicidal/black" metal....is like (oh stop me now) like modern art to me. I dislike modern art because it seems like a child can make it. and it seems like anybody who failed impressionism took up modern. yet as i sit high atop my soap box yelling this....modern art is a huge industry....paintings sell for 10's of millions of dollars.....and there is a crowd for it.

i guess all i can say is il glad to help host the art convention....but i certainly will not be buying or endorsing any of this art
</rant>

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
Lord Kur
True Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:54 pm

in other words, you don't get it
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:00 pm

i dont like it is a first...but thats because i probably dont understand it.....so yeah

im not upset...please....i encourage everyone to share.....i just wish i was in on this stuff.

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
Lord Kur
True Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:11 pm

i really get into the minimalist repetitive aspect of it all. the longer and more simple the better. but i know it's not for everyone

sometimes during a song the notes that aren't played become more important then the ones that are
Back to top Go down
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:43 pm

well this can be considered art
i dont think its art
i think its a way of expressing somethings ppll avoid
and thats what most ppl doesnt get about black metal...they just ignore it
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:44 pm

no, i used art as an analogy. i dont think people who make black metal want their work to be considered art....though i could be horribly mistaken

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:47 pm

you could you couldnt
it depends on the poin of view you see it.
in the other hand i've heard anti black metalist say "black metal is a way to hide something we cannot show by making DECENT MUSIC."

in small words they call the bands...hatefull and mad against society wich is kinda true if you ask me...but again...when did i start to give a rat ass about what hater think., lol.....but yeah...thats the way things are....and sadly....we cant change it.,
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:51 pm

brutality,thynameismetal wrote:
the way i know see it.....all this "dark/ambient/depressing/suicidal/black" metal....is like (oh stop me now) like modern art to me. I dislike modern art because it seems like a child can make it. and it seems like anybody who failed impressionism took up modern. yet as i sit high atop my soap box yelling this....modern art is a huge industry....paintings sell for 10's of millions of dollars.....and there is a crowd for it.

What you're saying does relate to the topic but maybe not in the way you think. Take a band like Xasthur for example. Go to a place like metal-archives.com and see what kinds of scores their albums get. Mostly around 50% to 80%. The albums that get higher scores than those usually have only one or two positive reviews. If you read these reviews you'll notice something.

Reviews for Album Subliminal Genocide
Average Rating: 58%

"So here comes XASTHUR to deliver death thru stereo. It sounds pretty mono to my ears though, so let's say "audio" instead. If you can make it thru the first twelve and a half minutes that is the opening song, you can rest assured that each of the songs after this will sound almost identical."
-60%

"Now, I'm not a huge fan of black metal, so I guess you could say I'm not really the right person to be reviewing this. However, I do know that there's better black metal out there than this. "Subliminal Genocide" is just very bad."
and at the end...
"So, I've said what's on my mind. Black metal enthusiasts will tell me to **** off, for sure, but, seriously, "Subliminal Genocide" sucks big time. As for me, I'll stick to good black metal...Anaal Nathrakh!"
-8%

"As much as I admit that I do like Malefic's music, I must also emphasize that I find neither this nor any of his other albums depressive. Yes, his music is solemn, rather sad and at times majestic but to call it depressive would be an exaggeration. The whole 'depressive black metal' label seems to me nothing more than a gimmick, even though I do enjoy this style a lot. But not because it makes me depressed or puts me into suicidal mood but mainly because it's just musically interesting without relying on technique."
-55%

From reading all of these, and much more, I've came to the general conclusion that there is a pretty strong divide between people who "get it" and those who don't "get it." The only real difference I see in the reviews of the people who give hugely low scores and those who give moderately low scores is something to do with the patience and open mindedness of the individual. More open minded people seem to come at it with a kind of, "Yeah I don't get it but it sounds kind of cool and some of the music is interesting" approach. Others just say, "What the **** is this about? This is boring as hell." The 60% review obviously pointed out that the music isn't entertaining. The 8% review missed it by a landmark by attempting to compare it to other more standard black metal bands (Anaal Nathrakh isn't standard but it's almost the opposite of Xasthur). The 55% review talks about how the music is interesting...yet that's about all he/she got from it, judging from the 55% score. As for it not being depressing I can agree with that to an extent but more on that later.

First of all I don't see anything wrong at all with not liking the music. However I will argue that people who don't like it generally misunderstand what exactly is the purpose. Xasthur has nothing to do with entertainment. As for musical interest, sure any band can be interesting musically but Xasthur is pretty formulaic and repetitive so it isn't really intended at all to be appreciated at a sort of musical interest level other than maybe for a couple hours to be done with it. I agree that the music isn't depressing in the true depression sense, but what it is does amount to something that is very akin to depression for myself and which doesn't appear to be the case for the above viewers so much. The music makes you stare and start to feel lifeless and empty. Not really depression but definitely not happiness. I really don't become bored when listening to Xasthur except for maybe a couple tracks here and there that just don't do it for me atmospherically. It just takes a certain kind of person to like it.

"There isnít a lot of scope for fence sitting with Xasthur. They are a band that will either rise to the top of your collection or will be relegated to the bottom, but whatever the case turns out to be they are a band that has to be experienced if only because there are so few bands that do what they do and do it as well as they do."
-90% (only high review)

This person hits it on the spot. Going back to what you said about art I would say that it is perhaps the other way around. Not so many people like it and the people who do like it are quite fewer than those who despise it.

And lastly as for the musically complex issue: Does anyone think Xasthur could be Xasthur while writing more complex and varied songs? Or songs with a faster tempo and more technicality? The answer is no. It's not because Malefic can't write "decent music," it's because he has to write the songs they way he does or it just wouldn't be the same thing. And it could be done *better* but that's obviously what everyone tries to do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11753
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:19 pm

Lord Kur wrote:
i really get into the minimalist repetitive aspect of it all. the longer and more simple the better. but i know it's not for everyone

sometimes during a song the notes that aren't played become more important then the ones that are

I'm with Kur on this one. To me its the same as punk as far as why I like it it's a raw emotional thing. And yes a child could make it I'll agree talent isn't what's required. But for people who listen to and enjoy it you can just really tell the difference between when it's a joke and when the artist truely feels what they are creating if that makes sense I think Kur, VR, and IB might agree with me on this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Lord Kur
True Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:21 pm

xasthur is definately one of my favorite bands and "all reflections drained" is my favorite by him. it's almost like a miracle to me and it's not even really metal.
Back to top Go down
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:58 pm

black ambient is not metal...because itsw beyond it...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Midnight Challenge [1]   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1