Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Console War

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16054
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Console War   Tue May 19, 2009 12:41 pm

There are so many things going on about the "console" war, but I think it's finally coming to a close. This thread is just to highlight each of the consoles (Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Nintendo Wii) so people who don't own one can make an informed decision. I own an Xbox 360 and a Playstation 3, and I have played a Nintendo Wii quite often.

Playstation 3

This is a fantastic piece of hardware. This console, hands down, has the most horsepower of all the consoles. The picture quality is fantastic, and the console is super quiet. You can barely even tell it's on. The console comes with wi-fi out of the box, so you don't have to fork over $100 dollars for a wi-fi adapter. The console can also be plugged in to your router with an Ethernet cable, if it does not support wi-fi or wi-fi gaming. The console features a weak game library however. It shares many common titles with the Xbox 360, but it's exclusive library is severely lacking. You do, however, have access to a few fantastic exclusive games, such as Metal Gear Solid 4, Little Big Planet, and Resistance: Fall of Man. The console's online marketplace is also sub-par in comparison to the Xbox 360's and the Nintendo Wii's. You can still get some game add-ons, but it does not have nearly as much online content as either of the other consoles.

Conclusion: This console is a fantastic piece of hardware, and is good for some hardcore players. The weak game library is it's biggest fault.

Xbox 360

This is my personal favorite of them all, but I will try to cut down on biased information. This console is a fantastic console if you want a substantially better game library than the Playstation 3, but you still want the horsepower. The console is pretty unreliable though, but Microsoft offers free repair/replacement for anyone with hardware failure. This console would be worthless without that, because the console has a fairly high failure rate. One good thing is the fact that you can remove the hard drive by simply pressing a button, and put it on another console. It's pretty much a massive 120 gb memory card, except it's larger. The game library is the best of all of the consoles. You get so many exclusive titles, such as Fable 2, Halo 3, and Dead Rising. The online marketplace is also very good, although it is not as good as Nintendo's. It still features very cool retro games which are often remade, such as Mortal Kombat 3, Street Fighter 2, and Megaman 9. The console does not feature wi-fi out of the box though, and that is slightly dissapointing, because a wi-fi adapter for it runs for around 100 bucks. Another fantastic aspect about the console though, is the amount of exclusive content available online. Big name titles, such as Grand Theft Auto 4, have exclusive expansion packs that you can only get on the Xbox 360.

Conclusion: This console is a good medium between the others. Still a hardcore player's console, the Xbox 360 has the hardware to play major titles. The consoles high failure rate is disappointing, but at least Microsoft will fix it for free.

Nintendo Wii

This console is the casual gamer's console. The Nintendo Wii features motion sensing controls, so the majority of it's games utilize it. The game does feature some cool titles, like Super Mario Galaxy, Tales of Symphonia, and Metroid, but the library is bogged down with tons upon tons of generic, no-name games. Many of the game's are hard to play though, as the motion controls don't always work quite right. By far the best aspect of this console is the "Wii Virtual Console", it's online marketplace. You can download SO MANY classic games. One of the best that I found was Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. The Wii is a pretty reliable console too, it is very well built. The graphics still look last generation, so when mixed with bland gameplay, produces a load of games that aren't fun.

Conclusion: The Nintendo Wii is a console designed for the causal gamer - somone who plays games every now and then for a brief period of fun. The console is pretty solid, but is definitely lacking major titles and hardware to run large, robust games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Console War   Tue May 19, 2009 2:31 pm

My favourite console is actually the DS: I'm a RPG fan and with developers like Atlus and Sqaure-Enix releasing a shed load of games for the DS, this is what I find myself on the most. I also have a flash cart, so I don't pay for games, I just download them, which is bad, I know, but when I'm paying for PS3 games, music, general bills, food... I just thought what the hell.

As a pure piece of hardware, the PS3 is king, and maybe even better from a gameplay point of view especially when going online, as you get more euro gamers as apposed to the X-Box's Americans who talk big, but end up swearing blind at you when you kick their arse on World at War. I don't know why people insist on using machine guns. Sony's exclusive titles also tend to be better than Microsofts (Killzone 2 is a case in point).

Microsoft suck, and I never play my Xbox anymore for fear of the "RED RING OF DEATH!!!!". Halo is overrated and you have to pay for online service, even after having forked out for a wireless adapter.

The Wii got old, fast and with only about 6 decent titles released since its inception, this is easily the worst console.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25351
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Console War   Tue May 19, 2009 5:56 pm

The wii is a pretty weak system. Its for parents with small kids
Xbox is amazing. But I am on my 3rd one and I have had an extreme amount of problems with connection and sound and system failure and disc tray and disc is unreadable
Although its exclusives are better and its online doesn't suck

blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11757
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Console War   Tue May 19, 2009 7:16 pm

Of the three as someone who does not own one but just plays them. I tend to lean towards the PS3 of all of them. While it took a while for it to get off the ground Xbox owned them for a while. Now that the whole thing has settled down I'm a bit more partial to it. Though nothing against the xbox as far as a system goes it's not bad at all. Wii I agree has some fantastic games and a ton of boring ass ****.

I'm with Dies Irae on the DS though I ****ing love that thing. Don't own many games for it but I've been playing pokemon alot lately lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Console War   

Back to top Go down

Console War
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tip of the Hat :: Preposterous Palaver and Infinite Jest-
Jump to: