Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

If you want to learn about Socrates, enter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25349
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: If you want to learn about Socrates, enter   Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:50 pm

Euthyphro- Euthyphro is charging his dad with murder. (Impiety) Socrates is charged for corrupting the youth. Setting is in the court of the king. Socrates is asking Euthyphro what impiety is in a public place. Socrates begins asking what is holy, to which he responds "prosecuting the guilty like my father". Euthyphro, the priest, owns slaves. And one of his slaves killed another slave. So his dad chained that slave up and left him in the cold where he died. So Socrates asks what characteristics of actions do the Gods find holy? Euth says that doing what the Gods love is holy. Socrates says that Gods don't all agree on what they should love. Then Euthy says that all Gods agree the justice is holy to which Socrates says, they might not agree on whats just. To this Euthy gives examples. Euthyphro then leaves and they do not know what holiness is.

Thrasymachus- In the court of the king. This thrasy was a pro speaker and he invented the period and the comma. Socrates is trying to learn what justice means. Thrasymachus is trying to put Socrates on the spot. He asks Socrates, but Soc turns his knowledge back on him.
Thras- Justice is advantage to the stronger
Soc- Do rulers ever make mistakes?
Thras- Yes
Soc- Do they somethings mistakenly pass wrong laws?
Thras- True
Soc- So when they pass the right laws, it is to there own advantage and when they accidently pass laws its against there own interests. Correct?
Thras-Yes
Soc- These laws must be followed?
Thras- Of course
Soc- So justice according to you, is sometimes what is not in the interest of the stronger, but something contrary to the interest of the stronger? Acknowledge that justice is not what is in the interests of the stronger when rulers pass laws that contradict there own interests

Crito- Crito is a friend of Socrates, he is visiting him in jail. He wants to break Socrates out of jail as he is a wealthy and influential man and is able to help. They begin to discuss good and evil. Socrates says that leaving would be evil and justice comes before anything. Athens is like a parent, and leaving would be abandoning that parent. He owes Athens a great debt. Socrates drinks the poison and he will not be an exception to escape justice.

Last edited by breakyoudown on Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

Number of posts : 15458
Hedonistic Glory : 10673
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: If you want to learn about Socrates, enter   Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:13 pm

i know everything i need to know about socrates platon and aristoteles...
i made my filosophy tesis last year LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/dommaster66
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25349
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: If you want to learn about Socrates, enter   Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:27 am

What was his main belief?

ImendiaBurzum
Elder

Number of posts : 15458
Hedonistic Glory : 10673
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: If you want to learn about Socrates, enter   Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:38 am

he belived that one day cheeseburguers will be less than 20 cents...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/dommaster66
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you want to learn about Socrates, enter   

Back to top Go down

If you want to learn about Socrates, enter
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1