Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

truth or far fetched babbling

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: truth or far fetched babbling   Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:00 pm

well guys i just received word that the famous J.R.R.. Tolkein and the even more famous lord of the rings have an interesting resemblance with an actual event. actually not the whole trilogy but one part in particular - the battle of helm's deep. the only difference was the outcome. now before i mention to what this has the "resemblance" with, i'll just add that i wasn't able to find any kind of actual proof that this is true.
now to the whole story. the battle of helm's deep is sth that most of us are familiar with so i won't go into that, but the actual event that is supposed to be the background for the story is this:
"An important battle during this time was the Battle of Szigetvár, when 2,300 soldiers under the leadership of ban Nikola Šubić Zrinski held back for two months 100,000 Ottoman soldiers led by Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent, fighting to the last man. Cardinal Richelieu was reported to have called the event 'the battle that saved civilization.'"

Sizget is an actual place in Hungary (hell my hood is named after it because of the importance of that battle), and this actually did happen in 1566 if i recall correctly but somehow i find it really unlikely that Tolkein was inspired by this event. what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

Number of posts : 15458
Hedonistic Glory : 10614
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: truth or far fetched babbling   Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:10 pm

really interesting...i think this also might inspired 300..
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/dommaster66

PostSubject: Re: truth or far fetched babbling   Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:18 pm

well i hear somewhere that that is an actual event as well. ok without all the macho bodybuilding crap, but that there was a king leonidas that sacrificed himself and his men in some canyon to hold the persian army long enough for the athen's navy could come to cut them from getting reinforcements
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: truth or far fetched babbling   

Back to top Go down

truth or far fetched babbling
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1