Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Good Books

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16106
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:46 am

What are some good books you guys have read? I want to start reading some stuff, I used to love to read but haven't really done it for a long time. I really want to read "Mine Kampf" or however you spell it because I love historical stuff, and I want to see what crazy stuff Hitler wrote while he was in jail
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14984
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:50 am

Mein Kampf. that site dies provided has it on audio

i want to read (or listen) to Reefer madness. some other planiuhuk or whatever his name is.

i liked Fast Food Nation.

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:56 am

Fast Food Nation, that is a kind of documentary isn't it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:58 am

no, that was Super Size Me, by Morgan Spurlock. Fast Food Nation is about the horribleness of the fast food industry

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:59 am

Super Size Me was fantastic. I love 30 days as well
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:23 am

If you like non-fiction, especially satirical, poignant and funny works about politics, the world in general, and social commentary, Francis Wheen has written several great books, in fact all his work is worth reading. "How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered the World" is a work of genius.

His biography on Karl Marx was rather brilliant too.

Do you have any other particular tastes? If you let me know, I can give you some focused suggestions having some 2000+ books in my collection.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:46 am

Try that art of war ..
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25403
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:50 pm

I'm glad you asked

Suspense/Horror/Political
1984 - Honest to God, this book is in every top 100 best book ever lists. Its usually on the top 10. This book establishes probably thee best environment ever. Its only 325 pages and its a roller coaster. The government has video screens all over the city, which can see you. If you appear to have any vendetta against the government you will be interrogated or vapourized in which they call "unperson" they wipe out every trace of life you had so that you never existed. The government controls everything. Big brother is watching you, this is a must read. A section of the book purely talks about politics for 20 pages. I was very bored. I was thinking, "man how can a books rising action possibly outweigh all this slow pace? It did tenfold, I was blown away.

Horror
-IT
This is an incredibly long book. 1200 pages. But within this, is an incredible amount of horror. Their is plenty of encounters with "it" which turns into everyone's greatest fear. Its interesting how they need to fight "it" off, with positive things that must face their fear. With an incredible amount of symbolism and likable characters, this is one thick book you'll want to read.

-The Mist
Another king book, except this one is a short 200. What's good about it is that the action is nonstop from page 80-200. Lemme give you a rundown of the story.
Power outage.
Guy goes to grocery store.
A mist covers the store that is filled with monsters
If anyone leaves the grocery store they will be killed
People don't believe there are monsters
Die
People think "oh f*** its almost night time"
Awesome stuff ensues

You have got to read one of these

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:26 pm

IT is amazing: only The Stand eclipses (is that the right spelling?) as King's best work.

I'd recommend a novel by Steph Swainston titled "The Year of Our War": otherwise known as the most sublime piece of fiction, ever.

It focuses on one of fifty immortals who serve the emperor in the fight against giant insects; Jant Shira is his name, and he is the only "man" (he's a half breed) who can fly. He's also a drug addicted reporter, who's drug of choice, Cat, sends him to an alternate universe when he overdoses. Full of the most perfect prose, it's by turns funnY, satirical, poignant, clever and charmingly stupid. Full of quirky characters it's easily the most enchanting fantasy novel yet written, that makes Lord of the Rings look like a tame, droll, insipid piece of twaddle, which it just so happens to be.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:01 pm

breakyoudown wrote:
I'm glad you asked

Suspense/Horror/Political
1984 - Honest to God, this book is in every top 100 best book ever lists. Its usually on the top 10. This book establishes probably thee best environment ever. Its only 325 pages and its a roller coaster. The government has video screens all over the city, which can see you. If you appear to have any vendetta against the government you will be interrogated or vapourized in which they call "unperson" they wipe out every trace of life you had so that you never existed. The government controls everything. Big brother is watching you, this is a must read. A section of the book purely talks about politics for 20 pages. I was very bored. I was thinking, "man how can a books rising action possibly outweigh all this slow pace? It did tenfold, I was blown away.

Horror
-IT
This is an incredibly long book. 1200 pages. But within this, is an incredible amount of horror. Their is plenty of encounters with "it" which turns into everyone's greatest fear. Its interesting how they need to fight "it" off, with positive things that must face their fear. With an incredible amount of symbolism and likable characters, this is one thick book you'll want to read.

-The Mist
Another king book, except this one is a short 200. What's good about it is that the action is nonstop from page 80-200. Lemme give you a rundown of the story.
Power outage.
Guy goes to grocery store.
A mist covers the store that is filled with monsters
If anyone leaves the grocery store they will be killed
People don't believe there are monsters
Die
People think "oh f*** its almost night time"
Awesome stuff ensues

You have got to read one of these

I saw the movie version of the mist, it was pretty good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:02 pm

I really enjoy historical fiction, fantasy/sci fi, comedic/satirical fiction
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:18 pm

You should read a song of Ice and Fire series, by George R. R. Martin, which ticks 2 of your boxes; it's fantasy, but also historical fiction, based on the War of the Roses and some other medieval happenings: except this has dragons and sh*t.

It's very gritty (he has a tendency to hold back on the swearing like most fantasy authors, then out of nowhere you'll get a c*nt or something and it will shock you) and more realistic than most fantasy: Martin also has a tendency to kill off main characters if he thinks it will further the plot. There are no real heroes. It's extremely well written, and I can't do the series justice with words. It's brilliant.

The first book is called A Game of Thrones; it's fabulously read by Roy Dotrice and is available on the site I posted. If audio isn't your thing you'll find it easy enough: he's the only fantasy author to debut at number one besides Neil Gaiman, so he's fairly popular. He is the author people think Tolkien is.
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:20 pm

dies, i like bad books. books written so a 10 year old can understand them. im not a very deep intellectual reader.

reading is such a pain for me.

i have also stated i read Artemis fowel. really a good series. simple to read, yet funny and interesting.

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm a huge Potter fan myself: I stood outside for 5 hours, with a queue full of 7 year olds and their parents waiting for midnight to get my copy of Deathly Hollows; yes I am that sad.

Also Septimus Heap is rocking too.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:31 pm

I love harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, The Chronicles of Narnia, all that....
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:34 pm

To be honest, I'm not a Narnia fan: too religious by half.

I forgot His Dark Materials: rivals Potter in my book, a rather brilliant work.
Back to top Go down
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10505
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:47 pm

To be honest, I love those Eragon books, they entertain me to no end. I like more "popular" books I guess, though I do read alot of Steven King.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:54 pm

I never stop reading King lol
I've read
The Mist
IT
Misery
Cujo
Pet Sematary
Thinner
And now reading a huge compilation of his short stories

Harry Potter series was indeed good.

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:03 pm

breakyoudown wrote:
I never stop reading King

Have you read the Dark Tower novels?: Man, Roland is such a bad ass, great books. Gunslingers ftw!
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:07 pm

I haven't because I have a feeling it might be a chore to find them all
Also some guy on the internet said they were just okay. Valid source I know
What are they about?

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:18 pm

breakyoudown wrote:
I haven't because I have a feeling it might be a chore to find them all
Also some guy on the internet said they were just okay. Valid source I know
What are they about?

The world has gone to pot; the people who kept order, the Gunslingers, are all dead, baring one Roland. It follows his quest to get to the fabled Dark Tower, beat it's master and put the world to rights. As a seven books series that's a very brief and rather paltry description, but all baring the last last book are awesome. Cowboys, a sentient and murderous train that likes riddles, gunfights, mutant zombies, drug barons, a giant robotic bear gone mad, RANDALL FLAGG: a man who you should know, adventures in our world, wierd lobster things like human flesh, evil witches, romance... epic doesn't begin to describe the series.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:35 pm

I will take your word on it
I gotta finish these 2 books my family bought me though
Frig- so long

EPhear
Top Lad

Number of posts : 106
Hedonistic Glory : 3295
Joined In : 2009-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:41 am

Barring my sudden reappearance on the forums, Books I truly enjoy are

The Song of Fire and Ice. I own all the books in that series. . . but I ended up vomiting on one of them so it isn't exactly in the best condition. . . and Death is something he does. All I can say is that atleast two of my favorite characters are alive. . . Jon and Tyron. . .

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan, which I own all of so far, is amazing, just can be plot hole city at times. Or at the very least unexplained happenings. Either way, it makes the Dragon Reborn out to be bad to the bone, even with his questionable family tree (just confusing really).

The Dresdan Files by Jim Butcher, more modern fantasy based mostly in Chicago. Wizard listed in the phone book as, Wizard. It's a fun read, and while I sadly own neither of Jim Butchers series, would recommend them.

The other Jim Butcher's series is the Codex Alara. Turn down the humor a bit, and make the main race of humans be dimensional shifted Romans (tis true, though they explain it in many more words, with some logical conclusions following and thus allowing me to ramble on the internet). It can get interesting, more so when you actually get the yes, Jim Butcher did plan the entire series out with some forthought, i.e. the Main characters name being Tavi. It makes more sense if you read it though. I personally love the series, though some may not like it as much as the above series. Besides, the guys name is Jim Butcher, enough said.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen (a series) by Steven Erikson is good, with a kill 'em all mentality matching and possibly exceeding that of George R.R. Martin. Including the themes of Death, Drug use, Sex, Rape, and Elder gods, gods, and gods that can die, along with human ascension (or however its spelled). Interesting, but a little Strange.

Almost anything written by David Eddings, but most of his characters are paste-able between series. My favorite series/ books are the two that involve Spearhawk, and Belgarath. Again, some of his books can get rather similar though. I'd still recommend them.

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series is good. . . but after the first few speeches, more so latter on, it can get repetative. . . I skipped about 20 pages in one of the books and still found myself in the speech. The first four or five books are good, it teeters off the brink after the removal of the main character as lead in one of the books and is lukewarm until Phantom and Confessor, where I loved the game that the main character has to play. It really brings some redemption to the series.

A new author I recommend reading is Patrick Ruthfuss, with his first book, The Name of the Wind. . . only problem I have had with it is one of the cover illustrations can make it seem like a females romance novel. . . but I digress, his righting is rather good and interesting.

A series I think you would like is probably the Temairare series, whose authors first name is Naomi. . . It's basically the Napolean wars with Dragons, and the main character is English, but you should really just read it, it is rather good and interesting. You'll find her somewhere near Pratchett or Newcomb as far as last names go.

Other authors I'd recommend are probably Terry Pratchet, where the foot notes can be half the page with his Discworld series (more or less British Comedy), or Robin Hobb, but she can be very iffy, I'd recommend only the Assassin series, but, it can be kinda rough. Robert Newcomb is another I'd say read, as I personally liked his series, but I don't know if it is going to be ever finished, considering I haven't seen a new book (though googling him would help).

I refused to read the Inheritence cycle, probably due to it's popularity. otherwise, I can't say. Maybe I should say me due to my unnecessarily long post.

P.S. Hated the way Harry Potter ended, but thats just me, seemed to contrived. Only good touch was the cloak, because, honestly, you think they would have heard about that legend before hand, while everyone just seemed surprised by it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:55 am

That's quite the list lol. I think I want to go to the library a get a few books. I really want to read 1984 because of all the hype, and also the Temaraire series sounds interesting
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:42 pm

The first two Temaraire novels are great, but Novik's writing and story gets stale after that. The first is a brilliant novel, just be warned that you may be disappointed later on.

I've read everything EPhear listed and it's all good: though The Wheel of Time series could be condensed into 5 books and it'd be amazing rather than than just good. It drags to much in some places. I'm actually not to bothered about Jordan passing away. Brandon is a great author, the mistborn trilogy is amazing and he'll finish the series in style. The Dresden files is 11 books deep and every one was been perfect, hard boiled, action packed, witty fun. The Codex Alera has been average if I'm being honest.

I'd recommend The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway, which is fantabulous:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gone-Away_World
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   

Back to top Go down

Good Books
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1