Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Bioshock REVIEW

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16053
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Bioshock REVIEW   Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:39 pm

Let me just start out by saying that you have no excuse to play this game. The only reason you shouldn't be playing this game is if you're playing Oblivion or something. But this game truely is one of the greatest current generation titles. Not the best game of all time, or even close, but this is an experience that you have to take part in if you own a PS3 or Xbox 360.

anyway, I digress..

Bioshock is a first person shooter/adventure title developed by 2K Games. The game follows a massive storyline in an underwater world, where you have access to many forms of weaponry. You get to explore the city at will, as you work to achieve your goals

Bioshock starts the player out in a jet plane flying over an ocean, where it abruptly crash lands into the water. Your character swims to the surface, where the player is then given control. This is experience is definitive of the game's amazing graphics. You see the beauty of the water and the wreckage of the plane, as it slowly sinks, as well as flames surrounding the area. You see a large tower coming out of the water a ways in front of you, so of course that is where you go. As you go inside, you see that it leads to a massive underwater city, and this is where the story unfolds. The story is basically a giant mystery. Why am I here, what is this place, what's with all the lunatics attacking me? And, as you progress through the game, you begin to discover many many things about the game world. You begin to collect different weapons, such as wrenches and machine guns, as well as things called plasmids. Plasmids allow the player to gain new powers, such as shooting lightning and flame from his fingertips or controlling enemy players. there are so many different abilities you can get, and on of my favorites is the insect swarm. You basically release hundreds of wasps from your fingertips and they swarm the enemy you are targeting. You get to upgrade your weapons and powers throughout the game, so it has an RPG feel to it.

Player using Winter Blast, a plasmid that can freeze enemies

Player wielding a shotgun

The game's RPG elements don't stop there. Throughout the game, there are security cameras and turrets, as well as vending machines that sell ammo, health packs, etc. The player can hack these devices to gain benefits. You hack a security camera so it sets of the alarm if it sees your enemies. You hack a turret so it will unload on your enemies rather than you. And you hack vending machines so you get better prices and more merchandise. The hacking mini game is really cool, it's like an old PC game called "Pip Dream" if you've ever heard of it. Basically, there is a start and an end, and a grid of squares. You unlock parts of a pipe, and you have to make it go from the start to the finish while a liquid pours through it.

Bioshock hacking mini game

In addition to hacking, you can also raid corpses and containers for items, which is also reminiscent of an RPG.

The game play is amazing, but more than that the story is incredible. You are sucked in from the very beginning because you know nothing about the world you are in. As you go through the story, you learn tons about the city. You can find "audio diaries" which give you more and more clues about the story. The story really makes the game shine though, it really is one of the best stories out there in video games. I would recommend this game to any fan of RPG games or first person shooters, because the game is very versatile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10452
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Bioshock REVIEW   Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:42 pm

I had it, till it didn't work for Vista -.-
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Bioshock REVIEW   Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:15 pm

You should buy it again. Bioshock is fan-f***ing-tastic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25350
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Bioshock REVIEW   Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:13 pm

Very good review
I traded Bioshock for Assassins Creed
I loved both, but Bioshock was definitely crazier
I mean I love horror, but they didn't go too far as to scaring the s*** outta me, which I appreciate. TWists in the story everywhere
Awesome awesome game

But that pipe thing was annoying after a while

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Bioshock REVIEW   Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:56 pm

You have a habit of trading games, don't you?

I currently own Bioshock and Assassin's Creed, and I don't think I could decide which one to get rid of if i had to get rid of one. They are both fantastic games
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Bioshock REVIEW   Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:03 pm

Am I the only person who thinks AC is just average? You just end up doing the same thing, over and over and over and over again. The core gameplay is good, but damn, I was falling asleep after a while playing it.

It's the same reason Oblivion is merely average. The scenery is boring as hell, everyone talks and looks the same and you just run around fields killing things and swapping out hammers and rat meat and repairing things.

Bioshock is far superior to both, in that it has a great story to drive things along, to go with its awesome gameplay.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Bioshock REVIEW   Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:08 pm

You can't really compare these games in that way, although I can say I would throw both Assassin's Creed and Bioshock into a pit of lava before I gave up Oblivion.

I think Assassin's Creed got a little repetitive, but it was a new IP. I think the sequel is going to be incredible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Bioshock REVIEW   Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:00 pm

You really have to enjoy the art of leveling up your character and choosing who and what you want to interact with. I also loved switching from bad to good whenever I felt like it and not really having consequences. Also you can become so badass that no crime is unpayable

I would throw a young elephant into lava before giving up Oblivion

But yeah Bioshock man, so damn good. I love making big daddy's run into my trip lines

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Bioshock REVIEW   Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:21 pm

breakyoudown wrote:
You really have to enjoy the art of leveling up your character and choosing who and what you want to interact with. I also loved switching from bad to good whenever I felt like it and not really having consequences. Also you can become so badass that no crime is unpayable

I would throw a young elephant into lava before giving up Oblivion

But yeah Bioshock man, so damn good. I love making big daddy's run into my trip lines

I would throw the city of New York into lava before giving up Oblivion.

Lol one of the best things about Bioshock is when you use Hypnotize Big Daddy so you can get two of them to fight. And yes, the trap bolts are by far the best weapons in the game. I love setting up like 10 and then shooting the big daddy so he charges at me and dies
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Bioshock REVIEW   Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:39 am

I would tie up and gag my family and force them to watch Meet the Spartans on repeat on Christmas for Oblivion

I liked how Bioshock offered an immersive story where there was no cutscenes, just gameplay

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Bioshock REVIEW   Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:03 pm

Yeah, the cut scenes were pretty much in the game play, like Oblivion. God I love good video games
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Bioshock REVIEW   Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:11 pm

Get blazblue

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian