Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Report on Axe's List

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9727
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Report on Axe's List   Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:49 pm

Okay I picked 6 of my favorites from the list. The groupings are ordered by what I liked the most but orders within the groupings are irrelevant.

Blind Guardian !!!
Falconer !!!

Equilibrium !!
Blackguard !!

Ensiferum !
Eluveite !

Now Axe you must recommend me albums for these and I shall listen!

Also I liked pretty much all of it and I'll be sure to listen to some of the others but these are what caught my attention the most.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25288
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:01 pm

Blind Guardian- Battalions of fear

Ensiferum- Ensiferum or Victory Songs

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15991
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:06 pm

First and foremost, + rep. I think it is AMAZING of you to listen to the entire list I posted, so for that I thank you.

Blind Guardian

their best album to me is their newest actually, "A Twist in the Myth". I know a lot of other people will disagree, but I feel this album has a lot of consistency. Another album that I truely love is "Nightfall in Middle Earth", their concept album. The only problem I have with that album is there is a lot of smaller songs, like 30 seconds. But it really is good, especially if you sit down and listen to the whole thing. Here is the discography torrent, so you can pick which ones you want.
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3606640/Blind_Guardian_Discography_%5B128_kbps%5D

Falconer

I really love Northwind. I would seriously burn all of the other albums by this band in a large wood pile to save this album. But, every song I have ever heard by this band is fantastic. You really can't go wrong. I have their entire discography, but 95% of the time I listen to this band it is Northwind.
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4642782/Falconer_Complete_Discography___320_kbps

Equilibrium

I love this band so much, it's a shame they only have 2 albums released. But, both albums are superb I would recommend downloading both. I think Sagas is a TINY bit better than Turis Fratyr, but that's just me. Turis Fratyr is their first album and Sagas is the second. I don't have their demo, but I think it might have 1 or 2 songs you can't find on an album.
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4962116/Equilibrium_-_Discography_(320)

Blackguard

I need to get the other albums by these guys. I only have "Profugus Mortis", but I think they have 1 other album and an EP. Profugus Mortis is spectacular though.
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4784205/Blackguard_-_Profugus_Mortis_(2009)_%5Bmp3_246%5D (just Profugus Mortis, couldn't find a discography torrent)

Ensiferum

This band is fantastic. I'd say all of the albums are must own, but I think "Iron" is probably the album that lags behind the rest. Their self titled album is an absolute masterpiece, and so is "From Afar". "Victory Songs" is also very good, which is also an album you should get because it has "Wanderer" on it.
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4060154/Ensiferum (Discography)
http://www.mininova.org/tor/2872844 (From Afar)

Eluveite

I must get more from this band. I only have the album "Slania" right now, and it is an absolute masterpiece. It has 2 instrumentals I think that are very beautiful, and it has a lot of high energy songs like "Inis Mona". Here is a discography torrent, so you can get the others if you want. All I know right now is that "Slania" is a masterpiece
http://www.mininova.org/tor/1426265

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:02 am

Thanks so much Axe! I'll have to listen to these and I will report back here for every album or discog I hear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:06 am

No problem at all man.

I'm really glad you are trying to get into this kind of music. Which reminds me, maybe you could make me an essential black metal list sometime so I could try to get into that more. You've already shown me a few things that I really like, so I know there is a 100% there is some other black metal that I will enjoy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:54 am

Maybe sometime but the reason I'm doing this is because there are some things I have been overlooking, and I'm not just talking about music.

By the way I still remember what I PMed you about that ColdWorld song and while I haven't been doing anything with that I have been thinking about making a list dedicated to the theme, though it's easier said than done. Metal isn't the greatest genre for these kinds of things and looking anywhere else is very difficult.

Tonight's album...
Blind Guardian - Battalions of Fear
I was going to hit Blind Guardian or Falconer first and Blind Guardian is big so I thought I'd tackle it first. I'm going to listen to the first album because BYD recommended it but also because it's good to hear the first album to get a perspective on the band.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10390
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:43 am

You got the attention of all the favorite bands dude. All of those are good, I have been listening to some Ulver and they got some weird ideas on music.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:30 pm

VacuousReality wrote:
Maybe sometime but the reason I'm doing this is because there are some things I have been overlooking, and I'm not just talking about music.

By the way I still remember what I PMed you about that ColdWorld song and while I haven't been doing anything with that I have been thinking about making a list dedicated to the theme, though it's easier said than done. Metal isn't the greatest genre for these kinds of things and looking anywhere else is very difficult.

Tonight's album...
I was going to hit Blind Guardian or Falconer first and Blind Guardian is big so I thought I'd tackle it first. I'm going to listen to the first album because BYD recommended it but also because it's good to hear the first album to get a perspective on the band.

Good plan. And yes, I kinda forgot about the ColdWorld project with school, and intense projects, and blah blah blah

Send me a PM with your ideas and we will start scouring the internet for some good photos

Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:14 pm

Awaiting your impressions

VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:33 pm

link wrote:
You got the attention of all the favorite bands dude. All of those are good, I have been listening to some Ulver and they got some weird ideas on music.
Thanks. Ulver has some weird stuff but some of it is actually pretty good. Perdition City and Blood Inside are two good non-metal albums by them. Each track is different from the last. I heard Shadows Of The Sun and liked it although it's way more depressing and low-key.

Axeforhire wrote:
VacuousReality wrote:

Tonight's album...

Good plan. And yes, I kinda forgot about the ColdWorld project with school, and intense projects, and blah blah blah

Send me a PM with your ideas and we will start scouring the internet for some good photos

I looked for some photos but I couldn't find very many good ones. The song isn't just one thing like straight out depressive, it has subtleties it's a lot harder to find appropriate pictures. I'll see what I can find though.

breakyoudown wrote:
Awaiting your impressions

All right first of all I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Majesty was the first track because that is seriously one of my favorite songs of all time. I usually have to listen to an album twice to make a strong opinion about it but after hearing it once all I know is that I want to hear all of their other full-lengths now. So yeah I liked it a lot, and I especially liked the kind of idea behind it...to play music fast and with feeling. I'm listening to it again right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:41 pm

My idea is listen to a few select bands that i really like for a while then find some more and keep all the bands in mind.
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:04 pm

Okay I'm almost done listening to it for the second time and the verdict is:
Pretty god damn good. Guardain, guardian, guardian of the blind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:05 pm

I'm glad you approve. Dammit I need to get that album.

omg, I can't wait to see your opinions on the other albums! I'm more excited than I should be

Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:18 pm

How awesome is it eh?
Gandalfs Rebirth is hardcore

VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:47 am

My only complaint about Falconer - Northwind is how amazingly clean the album is. It's way too clean. Still it's pretty decent and here are the three songs I really like...
Falconer - Northwind
Falconer - Catch the Shadows
Falconer - Home of the Knave

I seriously just don't know how something could have this clean a sound. It's too professional sounding. I like those three songs a lot though. Well I don't mean it's just clean production, but the song structures, lyrics, consistency, and even the album art.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:05 am

Have you heard Beyond the Ice?

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:16 pm

VacuousReality wrote:
My only complaint about Falconer - Northwind is how amazingly clean the album is. It's way too clean. Still it's pretty decent and here are the three songs I really like...
Falconer - Northwind
Falconer - Catch the Shadows
Falconer - Home of the Knave

I seriously just don't know how something could have this clean a sound. It's too professional sounding. I like those three songs a lot though. Well I don't mean it's just clean production, but the song structures, lyrics, consistency, and even the album art.

Catch the Shadows is like sex

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486569
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:00 pm

Get everything from Blind Guardian.

Everything

I, too, think that A Twist in the Myth was their best. I dunno why people don't like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:03 pm

Dude!

I can't believe you agree with me. Nobody agrees with me! lol

I think A Twist in a Myth is fantastic. Skalds and Shadows is a masterpiece, and Another Stranger Me just kicks ass. I'd say it's close though, because Nightfall in Middle Earth and Battalions of Fear are both kickass albums

Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:24 pm

Then I will swear upon this metal forum that I will go through all of Blind Guardian's discography.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:26 pm

That would be a... fantastic idea!

I've not quite heard all of their material, but I can't hardly believe they would make anything bad

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14869
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:14 am

Master Cthulhu wrote:

Everything

I, too, think that A Twist in the Myth was their best. I dunno why people don't like it.
i have saaid this time and time again...so glad i finally am talking to someone who also agrees

Axeforhire wrote:
Dude!

I think A Twist in a Myth is fantastic. Skalds and Shadows is a masterpiece, and Another Stranger Me just kicks ass. I'd say it's close though, because Nightfall in Middle Earth and Battalions of Fear are both kickass albums

yes, same here

and i missed out on this thread....i have no idea what is going on about lists and such
fill me in so i can participate axe

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
link
Deliciously Fat

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:24 am

brutality, thynameismetal wrote:
Master Cthulhu wrote:

Everything

i have saaid this time and time again...so glad i finally am talking to someone who also agrees

Axeforhire wrote:
Dude!

yes, same here

and i missed out on this thread....i have no idea what is going on about lists and such

Every damn blind guardian album is good, end of discussion.
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:26 am

I'm checking out some of Axe's favorite bands and starting out pretty much with Blind Guardian.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:46 pm

brutality, thynameismetal wrote:
Master Cthulhu wrote:

Everything

Axeforhire wrote:
Dude!

yes, same here

Well, this started with my "Folk Metal" thread, and VR listening to each song I posted, and told me the ones he liked the most. Now he is dowloading the albums I reccomend so he can learn about some of my favorite Folk Metal bands. You're welcome to go to that thread and check em out, and I'll fill you in on anyhting you like. Although I'm sure you'll know about most of them

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:19 pm

Early BG and Later BG are very different, though.

Early BG is pretty much speed metal, with more emphasis on the epicness.

Later BG is more power metal, with emphasis on the "holy-f***ing-shit" epicness
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:22 pm

Next time I make an account for something I think I'm going to name it PowerMetalBreakdown.

Speaking of which I actually couldn't find Blind Guardian's second album from a blogspot. I didn't look incredibly hard but they were all taken down. Sounds like a hot spot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:49 pm

If you're getting all of their albums, hit up a discography torrent

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Kur
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 1605
Hedonistic Glory : 4678
Joined In : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:00 pm

http://www.mediafire.com/?3klk4pmxt2z

Blind Guardian - Follow the Blind

1. Inquisition 00:41
2. Banish from Sanctuary 05:28
3. Damned for All Time 05:00
4. Follow the Blind 07:13
5. Hall of the King 04:17
6. Fast to Madness 05:59
7. Beyond the Ice 03:31
8. Valhalla 04:57
9. Barbara Ann (The Beach Boys Cover) 01:43
Total playing time 38:49
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://hatrednation.blogspot.com/
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:32 pm

Awesome. That album art is great.

Axe: I might I don't know I kind of like direct downloads. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Kur
True Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:34 pm

that album is speed metal

it just flies
Back to top Go down
Lord Kur
True Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:45 pm

http://rs582.rapidshare.com/files/149902500/_1991__Tales_From_The_Twilight_World.rar

Blind Guardian - Tales From the Twilight World

1. Traveler in Time 06:02
2. Welcome to Dying 04:50
3. Weird Dreams 01:22
4. Lord of the Rings 03:18
5. Goodbye My Friend 05:36
6. Lost in the Twilight Hall 06:02
7. Tommyknockers 05:13
8. Altair 4 02:27
9. The Last Candle 06:02
Total playing time 40:52

this one is pretty much their last speed metal album and it has a lot more power metal elements.
Back to top Go down
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:11 pm

Great, now that you posted the Follow the Blind tracklist, I saw Valhalla.

Whenever I see that word I always get the song stuck in my head.

Valhallaaaaaaa!

Deliverance!

Why have you all begotten me?

...or something along those lines.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:17 am

Ha, I love Valhalla live

Tales from the twilight world, that is the only album I don't have
Must get

link
Deliciously Fat

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:28 am

That's it, I am watching my Blind Guardian dvd.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:29 am

Ahaha atta boy

VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:29 pm

Damn this album, Follow the Blind, is pure gold. This is really damn good I can't wait to hear the next one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:24 pm

VacuousReality wrote:
Damn this album, Follow the Blind, is pure gold. This is really damn good I can't wait to hear the next one.

Did you ever know that you're my hero?

lol, I'm so glad you're loving this. I can't wait to hear what you think about everything else

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:42 pm

Just wait until Nightfall in Middle Earth.

It will pop your head.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:43 pm

omg I'm in love with that damn album

Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:50 pm

I'm giving the third album my second run through, but I have to emphasize how good that second album was. I'm going to buy it I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List   Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:31 pm

The bard's song is quite awesome

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Report on Axe's List