Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Dies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10450
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Dies   Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:09 pm

Hey man, I am curious, tell me about your musicianship and career. What kind of gear you got, what you can play, what you like to do. All that kind of stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486629
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Dies   Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:18 pm

He uses only his voice, in conjunction of other monks doing the exact same thing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25348
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Dies   Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:36 am

I heard he works in the Ministry of Love

PostSubject: Re: Dies   Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:31 am

breakyoudown wrote:
I heard he works in the Ministry of Love

Only part time.

My main axe is an Ibanez MBM1 Prestige, which has gorgeous action, it really is a pleasure to play. I have an ST200 which is the purest, warmest sounding guitar I've ever heard, but it weighs a ton (its a studio guitar, you'd kill yourself using it on stage). I also rock an Explorer and AXL Jackknife. I use a Peavy amp, Ibanez tube screamer and JD crybaby and thats it. No cabs or anything, I can get most tones with just that, and I like the purity of the more direct sound. I use a medium shark-fin plectrum.

I started playing when I heard and more importantly saw KISS live. I so wanted to be Spaceman. My dad had an old Hofner semi-acoustic that he fiddled around with but never taken seriously. He payed for my first lessons. I lasted 3 weeks before I said the teacher was a jerk (he wasn't, but I was 10 and didn't want to practice chords, I wanted to play strutter goddamnit!

I taught myself from books thereafter and thankfully I have a good ear, so I learn things by listening most of the time. I like to write music, but its not my strength. I have decent technical ability but I can't make a decent riffs to save my life. Probably why my band never went anywhere. I can play pretty much anything. I have trouble with the Chris Arp stuff, but his mad 7 finger tapping is just o_O. I've recently been playing This Godless Endeavor by Nevermore. My right hand aches so bad after playing it, the sweeps seem to go on forever. I like to play a bit of everything. I still enjoy my glam for fun, some blues, but my main playing is progressive/technical stuff. I just find it more interesting than powerchords I guess. I like playing Psycroptic a lot, along with Death of course. I like the challenge. I'm anti pinch-harmonics as you may have picked up in some of my other threads. Some people (Vai) can use them just right, but most seem to try them to accent their riffs and it just doesn't work. I'm a big admirer of the guys like knopfler, mainly because my finger technique sucks.

Piano wise, well this started in high school. Learning the keyboard was a mandatory part of music class. I didn't mind, because I have bigs hands, with a nice stretch and found it easy and enjoyable. The fact the teachers did do anything, just gave you some headphones and a book to learn out of suited me. I carried on, even though you could stop after the third year and I switched to the piano, which I don't think people understand just how different they are to each other. The piano is much harder, more subtle. Anyway I still enjoyed, and got up to UK grade eight.

Drums is my most recent project. I'm passing fair I'd say, but even after more than six months, I have trouble with my shins. I'm like nearly 6"5, and I think my long legs work against me. I've tried all different seat heights and I know I'm using the correct method, but it still kills me after 30 minutes.
Back to top Go down
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11754
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Dies   Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:56 am

Drums are just so physically demanding to play its like a f***ing sport.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
link
Deliciously Fat

PostSubject: Re: Dies   Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:03 am

I see, tell me, are AXL's worth getting as a workhorse guitar? I am getting a workhorse for my next one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dies   Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:42 am

Definitely. Most of the AXLs come with EMG pickups, the Jackknife which I have has double humbuckers. They sound really meaty.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25348
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Dies   Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:33 pm

Any previews of your band to show?

PostSubject: Re: Dies   Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:36 pm

breakyoudown wrote:
Any previews of your band to show?

No: like I said, we never went anywhere, Paths of Madness kinda bombed out after about 8 months, we were awful. I'd like to start a decent covers band, but finding good muscians is hard.

I need to get something like Line 6 and start an internet band.
Back to top Go down
link
Deliciously Fat

PostSubject: Re: Dies   Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:05 pm

Line 6's are HORRIBLE
I wouldn't recommend getting them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content