Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11811
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:22 am

The Black Dahlia Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them
Jackson Tennessee, Rocketown
10-27-2009

After nearly a year of trying to catch Skeletonwitch I finally got the chance so we made our way on the two hour drive up to Nashville through the heavy rain to make it Rocketown. To be greeted by a rather odd scene of about 8 to 10 police cars on the road up to the venue reguardless, we arrived at nearly 7:00 PM. With the door time on the site listed as 6:00 I fully expected Trap Them to have already played however for the one time in my life I’ll say thank goodness for slow start times as we arrived about 15 min before Trap Them hit the stage. The crowd was rather mixed with a large number of thrashers, “hardcore kids” and a few black metalists were also notably present.

Trap Them: Set Time (25min)
Seattle death metalists Trap Them were the first band up and played a very short but powerful set to warm up the crowd. What they delivered was a solid blast of death metal to warm up the neck and shoulders for a long night of headbanging to follow. The band had a solid performance though I felt they may have got off once or twice but they pulled right back into time almost immediately. Vocalist Ryan McKenney had a rather awkward and interesting way of doubled over headbanging that was quite interesting to watch I have to admit. They varied from song to song some of a more modern death metal style and others an almost old school slow paced doomish death metal. All in all interesting enough of a band that I would be willing to see them again and perhaps check out some of their music.

Toxic Holocaust: Set Time (30min)
Portland/Seattle legends Toxic Holocaust took the stage second after only a few minutes of down time to change up some gear, Joel and company hit the stage amid white lights and smoke screen tearing into a few tracks from their new album Overdose of Death. The band were in prime form tearing through their criminally short set with vigor and enthusiasm playing songs from their entire discography from the new songs like Wild Dogs to classic 666. In between songs Joel’s banter introduced me to the news that apparently there had been a protest from certain groups trying to stop the show from happening (explaining the large amount of police cars outside the venue). On this note Joel pushed the satanic songs tonight; ending on a final and powerful note with the new track Nuke the Cross. The size of the crowd had swelled to well over double the number who had seen Trap Them and they certainly responded well to the band with the thrashers running circle pits in full swing the entire set.

Skeletonwitch: Set Time (50 min)
With the room filling to about half capacity I found my way to a good spot at the side of thestage at this point my wait was finally over. With the inverted cross logos and dear skulls affixed to the amps Skeletonwitch took to the stage in a flurry of energy tearing into the blistering Upon Wings of Black from Beyond the Permafrost. The furry and power that is heard on album carries over perfectly to the bands live show as they bound flawlessly from track to track blending the new and old material together without a hitch as the new songs hold up in power and strength with the older beloved tracks. Continuing with the satanic theme started by Toxic Holocaust the Skeletonwitch crew decided to pick their most satanically inspired songs for this night. All in the entire band tore through about half the songs from Beyond the Permafrost as well as three or four tracks from their latest opus Breathing the Fire. Chance stalked the stage like a possessed beast throwing horns, headbanging, and interacting with the crowd. Without a doubt the fiercest looking front man of the night though to give Joel his props he is tied down with a guitar) their nearly constant touring has certainly worked the band into a finely oiled machine). After all this wait to finally see the band live I have to say it was completely worth it and the whiplash I am now suffering from will more than likely agree.

The Black Dahlia Murder: Set Time (60min)
I would like to say that I had far more energy to enjoy the BDM crew but after Skeletonwitch’s frenzied performance I have to say I was rather tired so for this one I held down to the back of the room with most of the thrashers present to watch the hardcore kids have the floor. After previously seeing BDM at Mayhem Fest earlier this year I was looking forward to seeing them in their own element. Though unfamiliar with most of the band’s music it is obvious that live is where they shine. The band ripped into their hour long set with only moments of rest between each track filling it with as much music as possible. Frontman Trevor Strnad is a maniac on stage running and jumping all over the place all the while doing his weird horn throwing that looks like he’s trying to conduct the crowd. The kids seemed to enjoy it the pit turning immedially into chaos with the obligatory invisible ninja killing that seems to follow bands like BDM. All in all though I would have liked to have seen more Toxic Holocaust reguardless the BDM boys brought this show to a good and satisfying end and during their set I managed to have a brief meeting with Toxic Holocaust main man Joel Grind which was pretty cool.
Swag: Skeletonwitch- At One With the Shadows Shirt, Breathing the Fire CD

*this shirt http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif

Toxic Holocaust- Nuke the Cross+ Intro http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF_15y-bjv4

Last edited by blackstar on Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14986
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:19 am

holy shit. wow.
yeah, BDM was good when i went to Mayhem, yet oddly it just didnt translate to the CD, so i guess ill have to catch them live again

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:24 am

Yeah I agree they are far better live. I totally could have gone for more Toxic Holocaust that this show thats for sure I really want to try and catch them again.
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9844
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:44 am

Wow awesome show! I'm sure your whip lash agrees.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16108
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:30 pm

+ rep for the awesome story. Sounds like it was an amazing show!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11443
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:20 pm

Cool, I think I need to get into Skeletonwitch. Any suggestions on a good album of theirs to get?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:22 pm

Beyond the Permafrost. It is just insanely spectacular. Here is a sample song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwjuLZjYGEw
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:02 pm

Yeah, that's really good. Thanks, man.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:06 pm

Hell yeah dude! I love that band, it's really really good new thrash
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:43 pm

Cool, cos I really need to get into some new metal. I'm much more into the classic stuff just now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:47 pm

Hahahaha well you came to the right place sir. I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. When I joined this forum earlier in the year, all I listened to was classic rock and older metal. Now I listen to (basically) every metal subgenre there is. You're gonna learn about so much stuff you'll love it. If you would like, I can talk to the staff and we can compose a list of stuff you should try
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:06 pm

Yeah, that'd be cool. Thanks a lot, mate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:51 pm

Skeletonwitch only have 3 albums. At one with the Shadows, Beyond the Permafrost, and Breathing the Fire. And about half of At one with the Shadows was re done for BtP since it's OOP. So I say start with it BtP.
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:57 pm

Cool, I'll do that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bloodbeast
The Cuddle Monster

Number of posts : 1638
Hedonistic Glory : 4904
Joined In : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:14 pm

f*** man, you got to see Skeletonwitch? I feel my face beginning to melt with envy. I can't find anything on their tour schedule.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:49 pm

Here ya go

Nov 4 2009 7:00P
Webster Underground w/ BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, TOXIC HOLOCAUST & TRAP THEM Hartford, Connecticut
Nov 5 2009 8:00P
Champion Ship w/ TOXIC HOLOCAUST & TRAP THEM Lemoyne, Pennsylvania
Nov 6 2009 7:00P
Peabody’s w/ BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, TOXIC HOLOCAUST & TRAP THEM Cleveland, Ohio
Nov 7 2009 7:00P
The Intersection w/ BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, TOXIC HOLOCAUST & TRAP THEM Grand Rapids, Michigan
Nov 8 2009 7:00P
Uncle Pleasants w/ BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, TOXIC HOLOCAUST & TRAP THEM Louisville, Kentucky
Nov 9 2009 8:00P
Belvedere’s w/ TOXIC HOLOCAUST & TRAP THEM Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Nov 10 2009 6:00P
Lost Horizon w/ BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, TOXIC HOLOCAUST & TRAP THEM Syracuse, New York
Nov 11 2009 6:00P
Mohawk Place w/ BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, TOXIC HOLOCAUST & TRAP THEM Buffalo, New York
Nov 12 2009 7:00P
The Chance w/ BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, TOXIC HOLOCAUST & TRAP THEM Poughkeepsie, New York
Nov 13 2009 6:00P
The Kave w/ BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, TOXIC HOLOCAUST & TRAP THEM Bucksport, Maine
Back to top Go down
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:50 pm

And then in december they are hitting europe for a while.
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14986
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:04 pm

i very quickly read "Kave" as "Kanye"

needless to say, i did a triple take.

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:09 pm

Hahaha ^_^
Back to top Go down
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10507
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:22 pm

If a band plays better live, they are a better band, cd could suck but their live performance could kick ass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:02 pm

Found a vid of the Toxic Holocaust intro and added it.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:18 pm

I just realized they were at the intersection in grand rapids! That is like an hour drive, it's where I saw minus the bear! fuck my life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5569
Joined In : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:10 am

Why would Skeletonwitch and TH play with a crappy metalcore band like BDM?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:16 pm

PortraitOfSanity wrote:
Why would Skeletonwitch and TH play with a crappy metalcore band like BDM?

Because the new BDM stuff sounds pretty damn awesome.
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10840
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:25 pm

BDM sucks bro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5569
Joined In : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:38 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
BDM sucks bro

Yea, I don't get how most people on this forum are exposed to, and listen to, a lot of great music, but still cling to whiny metalcore bullshit like BDM and a few other bands I don't care to list right now.

I used to listen to a bunch of really shitty music, but I found good music, and stopped listening to the shitty stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:47 pm

I like all sorts of music, I don't limit myself to what you would call "good" and what Axe would call "good" and what anyone elses opinion would call "good". I think most black metal is shit, but I don't care to voice my opinion anymore lol. I like it, you don't, we can still have beers and all get along when the day of trolling ends Razz
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10840
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:59 pm

Except we aren't trolling. BDM is genuinely horrendous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486686
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:03 pm

yeah I don't like them at all
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:04 pm

In my eyes, it's a troll lol. I already know you all hate them lol.
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:56 pm

Darkflame wrote:
Cool, cos I really need to get into some new metal. I'm much more into the classic stuff just now.
Ha ha, me as a little noob. Very Happy

I just realised I was quite shy back then. And I said "cool" too much. LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:57 pm

Oh, and I just realised Toxic Holocaust were at this gig! Fuck, Blackstar, I'm so jealous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:39 pm

Yeah that ruined my night when I saw they were there. Seriously, I can get to grand rapids in under an hour and it's only like two turns the entire trip that take me into the city. I looked at all of their upcoming shows and the only thing that somewhat interested me was As Blood Runs Black because it is a metal show. I don't like -core, but for fifteen bucks and an easy drive I'm sure it would have been worth it. Even -core can be decent live.

And we all have those bands we like that everyone else seems to hate. Personally, I think TBDM is pretty bad but I dislike -core so it's whatever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN   

Back to top Go down

Black Dahila Murder, Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Trap Them: Rocketown Nashville, TN
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1