Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Epic Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16105
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Epic Discussion   Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:53 pm

I got to thinking, would you like your favorite bands if they were enormously popular? Let me explain

I was thinking about our recent discussions about Walmart and how they sell an insanely huge amount of Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, and Pink Floyd shirts. I know this has affected the way I think about those bands. I was a large AC/DC fan, but now that tons of kids that hardly know anything about their music are wearing their shirts, I find myself thinking of them with anger. Something about the fact that they became popular again pisses me off. But I think I wouldn't have a problem with it if everyone legitimately liked their music, not just "Back in Black". Guitar Hero is yet another thing that ruins some of these bands. They put a Slayer song in Guitar Hero, and all of a sudden everyone loves Slayer. Or, more truthfully, everyone loves "Raining Blood". I have Guitar Hero Encore: Rock the 80's, and they have "Round and Round" by Ratt on it. One time I was in study hall, listening to Ratt on my Zune, and apparently it was loud enough for a kid behind me to hear it. So he taps my shoulder and says "So you play Guitar Hero too!". /facepalm

I've known about and listened to Ratt for a lot of years now. Glam Metal was one of the first music genres I got into. But this kid doesn't know that, he automatically assumed I learned about it from Guitar Hero. It just bothers me, and it makes me want to listen to that band less for some strange reason.

I think one of the reasons we hold metal so near and dear to our hearts is that it's frowned upon by society. But the instant it becomes mainstream, you don't have to have that feeling that nobody wants you to listen to it. A lot of people, my parents being some of them, have tried to get me to stop listening to metal. My Dad not so much, but my mother has even tried to ban me from listening to Necrophagist. Now I'm a senior and I'm 17 years old, I'm going to listen to what I please. But you still have that feeling that no one wants you to listen to it, and that people look down on your for listening to it. I get dirty looks at school a lot when I wear some of my music shirts. I dress like the stereotypical real metalhead. I wear jeans and band shirts. I've even overheard people making fun of the band shirts that I have, because I wear them a lot. Some people try to make fun of me saying I only own 5 shirts, because at the end of the week I was my favorite band shirts and wear them again the next week. I think the fact that metal is so second class in society makes me like it more. I know others are missing out on a rewarding and beautiful form of music because they stereotype it and refuse to give it an honest try. But when it starts becoming mainstream, and more kids start wearing their shirts, it becomes less of a treasure for the honest listener. If that makes sense. like those bands before, I listened to them and loved the music, knowing that it sounded fantastic and that not many people know about the bands. But now that it's become a fad to buy their shirts even without knowing 5 of their songs, it makes people look at the honest listeners with those shirts and think they are just going along with the fad. They don't think we are wearing the shirts because we own every song they ever made and love it dearly.

So, back to my original question. What would you think of your favorite band if they, all of a sudden, became massive popular? What would you think if you went to Walmart and saw a Burzum shirt or maybe a Death shirt? What would you think if you went to school, or the store, or anywhere and saw tons of kids wearing those shirts, that you know don't actually listen to the band's music. Well, at least the vast majority of it. Would you like the band less? Would you like it the same, but value it less?

Last edited by Axeforhire on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9841
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:58 pm

I guess it just depends. If it starts to get really scenish and the people liking the band don't know anything or misunderstand what's going on then yeah that would be really annoying but I can't say I'd stop listening. I just wouldn't talk about them as much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5566
Joined In : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:02 pm

It's never bothered me really. I think it's awesome when I see a kid wearing a Darthrone shirt or something. I listen to a lot of old hippy stuff, and I wear a lot of Grateful Dead tie-dyes. One of the coolest things that happens to me over and over again is I'll be wandering around the city and some old lady/guy will come up to me, compliment me on the shirt and we'll just get into a big conversation about music. If some dude from the 60's who saw everyone live can think it's awesome that a 22 year old kid is wearing a Rolling Stones shirt, how can I get mad at a kid who wears a Moonsorrow shirt? I have to give that kid props for most likely taking shit at school for not following the status quo, and expressing himself in public. That's what it's all about, having the nuts to show your taste and who you are and not giving a shit about what other people think. There's too many people who latch onto fads just because they're too afraid to be themselves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:05 pm

I would love it if it was legitimate. If I saw someone wearing a moonsorrow shirt I would shake his hand and likely get into an awesome music discussion with him. But what if all of a sudden it became a fad, and everyone who doesn't like moonsorrow started wearing their shirts? Kids you are positive know nothing about that band?

Oh, and I added another large paragraph
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:10 pm

I really don't see extreme metal becoming a fad, it's too inaccessible. I mean, do you really think the nazis at Wal-Mart are gonna carry shirts from a guy who's a professed satanist and was connected to church burnings? I think extreme metal's edginess will keep it underground, unlike scenes like punk who have the same extreme message, but the music is easier to get into.

But you do already see metal bands taking the extreme metal influence and crossing over to a more mainstream sound. Look at Opeth *ducks behind bulletproof shield*, Children of Bodom or Cradle of Filth. Even metalcore/deathcore. But I think the original stuff will still have the small dedicated core.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:12 pm

I couldn't agree more. I think Hot Topic will venture into it a little, like I've observed they already have, but I'm speaking hypothetically here. If it were to happen. I don't think it ever would, but I was just trying to figure out what I would think if it would happen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:15 pm

If it did happen, I would no longer be able to see Pelican for 12 dollars.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:19 pm

That's another HUGE reason why metal being obscure is fantastic! Ensiferum, Blackguard, Ex Deo, and Hypocrisy are going to be in Chicago at the end of next month, and I can see all of them for under twenty bucks. I can take the train and it drops me off right across the street from the venue. Talk about epic. I would pay sixty for that concert easily if I had the money
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:21 pm

You should come to the Pelican show, it's in December.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:24 pm

Where's it at? If it's twelve dollars and I can make the whole trip for about thirty probably.

If I could make it I would, that'd be awesome to hang out at a show
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:25 pm

It's at the Empty Bottle, on the north side, I think it's actually in Wrigleyville.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:30 pm

Ugh north side. I'll look into it though, that would be pretty epic. You should go to the Ensiferum show since it's in your city
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:41 pm

Where's it at?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:42 pm

It was at the house of blues, but it got moved to Logan Square Auditorium
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11440
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:00 pm

I see what you mean about people wearing t-shirts of bands they don't know shit about. The Guitar Hero thing pisses me off too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11808
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:49 pm

Portrait beat me to pretty much everything I was going to say but we have pretty similar opinions on this matter from previous discussions on this same topic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25402
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:38 pm

Nope I enjoy the fact that nobody knows my favourite bands, it makes it feel more directed at me personally and I like that alone time feeling

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:22 am

Exactly! Why would you want anyone else to share in the joy that is your favorite bands.

See I have a feeling that I should be the supreme ruler of music. I get to personally decide if a person is worthy of listening to certain bands. I also should be the supreme ruler of compilation albums. I and I alone should decide what songs go on a greatest hits album
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:31 am

I take so much pleasure in hearing my friends say my music is too heavy, but of course they disguise it as "fuck that screamo" but I know that it is just a sign of defeat

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:32 am

Hahahaha my brother said "so you like screamo now?" when I was listening to Norther.

Needless to say I about knocked his ass out.

I do take pleasure in people making fun of my music
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:57 am

You actually punched him out? TKO? Awesome

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:32 am

No no, but I almost did. My rage was that strong. But I shrugged it off and we went bowling together
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11440
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:50 am

Lol, so you want to punch him but you settle for bowling instead? You've obviously got more self-control than me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Epic Discussion   

Back to top Go down

Epic Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1