Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Renaissance of French Horror

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Skaven
A Scholar

Number of posts : 380
Hedonistic Glory : 3510
Joined In : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: The Renaissance of French Horror   Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:11 pm

Now France has never been a country noted for it's horror movies but over the last few years the French have been making some of the best horror movies around, filled with plenty of blood and guts along with quality writing, directing and acting aswell as having more interesting ideas and themes running through them than hollywood could ever dream of.

High Tension (Haute Tension) aka Switchblade Romance (2003) Director - Alexandre Aja

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQBCNr5WPBI&feature=related

Ills aka Them (2006) Directors - David Moreau and Xavier Palud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAWEvZh8flg

A L'Interieur aka Inside (2007) Diretcors - Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRwQLRCWif4

Martyrs (2008) Director - Pascal Laugier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNpDiQimK6U
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14872
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: The Renaissance of French Horror   Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:49 pm

i hate scary movies. im a pansy.
i much prefer horror of the 70's and 80's....nice and cheesey. none of this psychological stuff

but yes....i remember seeing on french horror movie. i forget the title, but it started out with a couple skinny dipping, and all of a sudden the man disappeared into the night.

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
Skaven
A Scholar

PostSubject: Re: The Renaissance of French Horror   Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:13 pm

Hmmm not sure what that one is, I love all kinds of horror myself but the French really are at the top of the genre at the moment a great balance of bloodshed, extreme violence and psychological storytelling. Unlike America which is just churning out sequel after sequel and sub par remakes of classic originals, I mean 6 Saw movies is beyond a joke, I see that series of films as the same shit different day approach to film making it's just a cash cow because they know people will flock to see them in droves. As for the remakes of 70's and 80's classics like Halloween and Friday the 13th well again that's just lazy dumbed down film making to generate cash and to cater for people with short attention spans who don't know any better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The Renaissance of French Horror   Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:28 pm

no no, i mean the old gorey crap. really disgusting horror that turns out to be funny when you and your friends turn it into a MST3K adventure

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25291
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: The Renaissance of French Horror   Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:04 pm

Brute, you must watch Blair Witch Project

Skaven
A Scholar

PostSubject: Re: The Renaissance of French Horror   Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:04 pm

I wasn't criticising anything you said dude, I was just saying that I can't stand the current trend for US horror to just keep on rehashing old movies and making endless sequels. I like how you mentioned horror that you find cheesy and funny because there is a fine line between horror and comedy, it can be seen in most horror movies right back to the very early horror of 1920's / 30's right up to the modern day ultra graphic and violent films.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skaven
A Scholar

PostSubject: Re: The Renaissance of French Horror   Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:13 pm

breakyoudown wrote:
Brute, you must watch Blair Witch Project

As great a film as Blair Witch.... is, it's not French, lol. That's ok though, Blair Witch is a cool spooky movie that relies more on the viewers imagination as you don't see anything horrific butt he sound and atmosphere does really get to you especially seeing it in the cinema for the first time. It doesn't have quite the same effect seeing for a second time on a small screen. The new movie Paranormal Activity owes quite a lot to Blair Witch especially in the style that it is filmed in, it's also a pretty cool sppokfest it comes reccommended from me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The Renaissance of French Horror   Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:53 pm

i know you werent criticising. im just clarifying that i hate and am a huge pansy of real horror. i loved the movie "They Live". have you ever seen that>?

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Skaven
A Scholar

PostSubject: Re: The Renaissance of French Horror   Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:10 pm

They Live....yeah that's the John Carpenter movie with Roddy Piper isn't it? Yeah I haven't seen that in years though I remember it being pretty cool though like an invasion of the bodysnatchers kinda thing. I'll have to hunt it down on dvd sometime and re-check it out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The Renaissance of French Horror   Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:16 pm

classic.
if you have netflix, you can get it there. thats how i saw it. kinda cheesy, but still kinda cool

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Renaissance of French Horror   

Back to top Go down

The Renaissance of French Horror
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1