Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

10 Things that need to end in metal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10719
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:10 pm

1. -Core garbage

Sure you could say there are some good bands (For example I can find myself enjoying Converge and Between the Buried and Me), but the vast amount of Deathcore and Metalcore bands that plague the Earth need to stop making music. Most Metalcore bands just end up ripping off Melodeath riffs and just stick in random breakdowns. Same thing with Deathcore, except replace Melodeath riffs with crappy uninspired "Brutal Death" riffs (if you can even call them that) and even more breakdowns than the aforementioned genre.

2. Wankity wank wank "tech" bands

I don't care how fast you can sweep, if the song doesn't have any good riffs or structure then it blows. End of story.

3. Slam

Bastardization of Brutal Death Metal, this off-shoot is just as bad as Deathcore, except replace scene kids with neckbeards.

4. Clicky double bass

This is the bane of my existence. When your double bass ends up sounding like a damn type writer, you need to lay off the triggers.

Example of bad double bass

Example of good double bass

5. Black Metal elitism

You know the guy who only listens to the second wave of Black Metal; if it didn't come from Norway in the early to mid 1990s, it sucks. You hate the guy. I hate the guy. Everyone hates the guy.

6. People who are embarrassed about listening to metal

This is another annoying person. The first time you meet them, they don't even tell you they listen to metal, instead they sub it into "rock" because they're afraid of being outcast. They also don't like being lumped in to the metal crowd and see themselves as only "listeners". To quote the great Manowar, "Heavy Metal or no metal at all, wimps and posers leave the hall."

7. Screwy production

I'm sorry, but Black Metal does not need to sound like it was recorded through a broken mic, in mono, in a metal trash can from 50 feet away. I can enjoy low-fi Black Metal that actually does add atmosphere, like Ulvers Nattens Madrigal, pretty much every Darkthrone album ever, or even Blasphemy's Fallen Angel of Doom. Thing is, these bands just do it to be "grim" and "kvlt" and usually end up sounding pretty bad anyway. There are two extremes, however, because completely "clean" production robs all feeling of the music. Bands need to balance these two and find a common ground.

8. Fruity Power Metal

You guys know what I'm talking about. Sure it's fine in small doses, but at the end of the day when you realize that there is no power behind the music, then you realize that all your sugar coated metal really did was end up giving you a cavity and feeling empty inside.

9. Turning on bands that you used to love

I don't know what this mentality is, where a band does something different from what you like (or hell, sticks to what they were doing all the time and end up gaining some popularity) and then you end up turning on them. I've had my fair share of being involved in different forums and this always ends up being the case. Hell, sometimes the bands don't even do anything and people just start hating them because "it's the cool thing to do". This other forum I go to, the bands that were once loved and now hated are Amon Amarth, Opeth, Mastodon, Baroness, Acid Bath, At the Gates, Lykathea Aflame, all Devin Townsend related projects, Ulver, Arcturus, Wintersun, Shining, Necrophagist, Ihsahn, Enslaved, Boris, and countless others.

10. Running out of things to say

I actually didn't even have 10 things planned out, I just kinda hoped they would spring up as a I wrote. Oh well, you guys get the idea.

/End rant
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25284
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:12 pm

Awesome man!
I also hate the guy who says he loves metal but doesn't know who Iron Maiden is

link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10386
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:45 pm

Some of your list is flawed, but I enjoyed most of your points.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11690
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:22 pm

Taxer666 wrote:

5. Black Metal elitism

You know the guy who only listens to the second wave of Black Metal; if it didn't come from Norway in the early to mid 1990s, it sucks. You hate the guy. I hate the guy. Everyone hates the guy.

Yes, yes I do know this guy, and yes, yes I do want to tear his head off.

Taxer666 wrote:

I don't know what this mentality is, where a band does something different from what you like (or hell, sticks to what they were doing all the time and end up gaining some popularity) and then you end up turning on them. I've had my fair share of being involved in different forums and this always ends up being the case. Hell, sometimes the bands don't even do anything and people just start hating them because "it's the cool thing to do". This other forum I go to, the bands that were once loved and now hated are Amon Amarth, Opeth, Mastodon, Baroness, Acid Bath, At the Gates, Lykathea Aflame, all Devin Townsend related projects, Ulver, Arcturus, Wintersun, Shining, Necrophagist, Ihsahn, Enslaved, Boris, and countless others.

Yeah this one pisses me off too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:23 pm

True say, there is nothing wrong with being known

ImendiaBurzum
Elder

Number of posts : 15458
Hedonistic Glory : 10608
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:50 pm

Taxer666 wrote:

This is another annoying person. The first time you meet them, they don't even tell you they listen to metal, instead they sub it into "rock" because they're afraid of being outcast. They also don't like being lumped in to the metal crowd and see themselves as only "listeners". To quote the great Manowar, "Heavy Metal or no metal at all, wimps and posers leave the hall."

theres sooooo many of them in panama...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/dommaster66
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:59 pm

Its kinda sad, we are almost oppressed

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15987
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:25 am

Very good list, I gotta add one though

People who "listen to metal", but don't know anything about it

byd kinda had this one, but there's alot of people where I live who "listen to metal", but only know about a few -core bands that are garbage. It pisses me off, you don't love metal if you only listen to 20% of the fake -core garbage

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:33 am

Yeah like my metalhead friends listen to
Between the burried and me, August burns red, Rise Against, Corecorezorz

Ugh

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:36 am

I was talking to this joker scene piece of shit at my school, and he was wearing a dethklok shirt, so I asked what other death metal bands he likes and he's like "I like The Devil Wears Prada, Emmure, As I Lay Dying, and Bullet For My Valentine"

gtfo, none of those are Death Metal you fucker!

Oh, and people who only know of one death metal band - Dethklok.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:40 am

Thats hardly putting any into liking music at all

blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:40 am

Axeforhire wrote:

Oh, and people who only know of one death metal band - Dethklok.

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11322
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:12 am

Taxer666 wrote:
4. Clicky double bass

This is the bane of my existence. When your double bass ends up sounding like a damn type writer, you need to lay off the triggers.

This is what I call "pulling a Kamelot".

Quote :

I don't know what this mentality is, where a band does something different from what you like (or hell, sticks to what they were doing all the time and end up gaining some popularity) and then you end up turning on them. I've had my fair share of being involved in different forums and this always ends up being the case. Hell, sometimes the bands don't even do anything and people just start hating them because "it's the cool thing to do". This other forum I go to, the bands that were once loved and now hated are Amon Amarth, Opeth, Mastodon, Baroness, Acid Bath, At the Gates, Lykathea Aflame, all Devin Townsend related projects, Ulver, Arcturus, Wintersun, Shining, Necrophagist, Ihsahn, Enslaved, Boris, and countless others
This annoys me so much, too. People who say they're dedeicated fans of a band but turn their back on them because they start to get popular or change their sound slightly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:22 pm

[quote="Dark94Flame"]
Taxer666 wrote:

This is what I call "pulling a Kamelot".

Quote :

I don't know what this mentality is, where a band does something different from what you like (or hell, sticks to what they were doing all the time and end up gaining some popularity) and then you end up turning on them. I've had my fair share of being involved in different forums and this always ends up being the case. Hell, sometimes the bands don't even do anything and people just start hating them because "it's the cool thing to do". This other forum I go to, the bands that were once loved and now hated are Amon Amarth, Opeth, Mastodon, Baroness, Acid Bath, At the Gates, Lykathea Aflame, all Devin Townsend related projects, Ulver, Arcturus, Wintersun, Shining, Necrophagist, Ihsahn, Enslaved, Boris, and countless others
This annoys me so much, too. People who say they're dedeicated fans of a band but turn their back on them because they start to get popular or change their sound slightly.

There's a point were you have to draw the line though. Metallica obviously sold out and went out of their way to hire a commercial producer and make a record for mass appeal. They lost all authenticity when they made the black album, no wonder it sounds like so much souless tripe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:46 pm

well dies i'd actually say that you still are their fan. well to some extent.
what taxer was probably going at is the following - sure metallica ain't the same metallica that it was 20 years ago. and i do mean exactly 20 years ago. see this is what is important in the story. load, reload, st. anger (this proves that there indeed is a hell) and i won't say death magnetic because i gave up on it as soon as i saw unforgiven 3 so i can't exactly for an opinion without prejudices, now all those albums are why we hate them. kill 'em all, ride the lightning, master of puppets and ...and justice for all are the reasons why we love 'em. and basically it goes around that a fan will shit as much as we do, but they will still listen to old stuff and to some degree remain faithful. hell when death magnetic was announced, no matter what we said, there was something in us that hoped that it will be like the metallica that ruled the world 20 years ago.
and there are also the ever lasting and never epic haters. they were hardcore fans, they did it all. but the band changed, and even though it was THE band that introduced them to the world of metal and meant the world - they suddenly turn on them and hate what they loved because of some new age crap.

tempora mutantur et nos mutamur in illis. - the times change and we change with them. it's true, but what makes a difference is if you remember who you are and where you come from. if the band forgets, does it mean that we should too?
and a big point in all of this is that most of us don't have a valid point is saying anything when it comes to this. basically because of those big 20 years. now i'm 21, so i was born in 1988. that means that i was too f***ing your to know what ...and justice for all meant to the world. none of us has been trough it, none of us has lived it. actually hate and kur would probably be the only ones here that have a right to say sth, because all we know is history that is written by someone who decides how it should be remembered.

p.s. i intentionally left out the black album because that is another discussion about is it a master piece or a piece of nuclear waste in a form of a cd or a tape
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:59 pm

Am I the only one on this forum who doesn't mind Metallica's new stuff?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:03 pm

i wouldn't be surprised if you actually are. but then again it can also be seen by the bands you like and your age that you're still young and maybe not all too familiar with some of the older stuff. hell i am even willing to bet byd's ass that the first contact with metal was trough nu metal or rock like ac/dc
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:06 pm

Actually, I've got every one of Metallica's albums, lol. Yeah, I think their older stuff is better but I still like their new stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:15 pm

i'll let you in on a little secret - i liked load when i was bit younger than you are now. but with time i terned more, got to know more bands, thrash metal grew onto me and i started to dislike it. since it was an old sympathy i tried comparing it to heavy and anything else, but the more bands i found, the more i hated it. it wasn't the metallica that and an edge and it wasn't heavy. the most similarity i found was with grunge and that's sth i hated from the beginning. it's all evolution baby. some that makes sense like heavy -> thrash -> black and some that doesn't and should be surgically removed from this planet like deathcore and metalcore that are already mentioned
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:34 pm

What's this? Styx admitting he liked a Metallica album that came out after AJFA? I'm tempted to quote that in my signature, but I'm not that cruel, lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486565
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:35 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
1. -Core garbage

Sure you could say there are some good bands (For example I can find myself enjoying Converge and Between the Buried and Me), but the vast amount of Deathcore and Metalcore bands that plague the Earth need to stop making music. Most Metalcore bands just end up ripping off Melodeath riffs and just stick in random breakdowns. Same thing with Deathcore, except replace Melodeath riffs with crappy uninspired "Brutal Death" riffs (if you can even call them that) and even more breakdowns than the aforementioned genre.

Why would you want an entire genre of bands to stop making music? Lots of underground Deathcore is great.

Quote :

2. Wankity wank wank "tech" bands

I don't care how fast you can sweep, if the song doesn't have any good riffs or structure then it blows. End of story.

I can agree with this to a point, but why would I listen to techdeath if I didn't want to hear huge solos? I don't want the whole song to be a solo though, and the riffs usually suck in techdeath. Wanky solos are good sometimes, wanky riffs are not.

Quote :

3. Slam

Bastardization of Brutal Death Metal, this off-shoot is just as bad as Deathcore, except replace scene kids with neckbeards.

No, slams are awesome if done right.

Quote :

4. Clicky double bass

Agreed to an extent, but imagine Origin without triggered drums. It would sound like a mess.

Quote :

5. Black Metal elitism

Without BM elitism we would have the black metal philosophies we have today, and since most black metal is based off philosophy...

Quote :

Telling girls that I listen to bands called Sublime Cadaveric Decomposition and Paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis is pretty much a death sentence for the friendship.

Quote :

7. Screwy production

I'm sorry, but Black Metal does not need to sound like it was recorded through a broken mic, in mono, in a metal trash can from 50 feet away. I can enjoy low-fi Black Metal that actually does add atmosphere, like Ulvers Nattens Madrigal, pretty much every Darkthrone album ever, or even Blasphemy's Fallen Angel of Doom. Thing is, these bands just do it to be "grim" and "kvlt" and usually end up sounding pretty bad anyway. There are two extremes, however, because completely "clean" production robs all feeling of the music. Bands need to balance these two and find a common ground.

Good production =\= polished production. Good production = production that suits the type of music being played.

Quote :

8. Fruity Power Metal

You guys know what I'm talking about. Sure it's fine in small doses, but at the end of the day when you realize that there is no power behind the music, then you realize that all your sugar coated metal really did was end up giving you a cavity and feeling empty inside.

It's fun. The McDonalds of metal.

Quote :

Well, you pretty much stated why most "core" bands are hated within the metal community.

Quote :

10. Running out of things to say

I actually didn't even have 10 things planned out, I just kinda hoped they would spring up as a I wrote. Oh well, you guys get the idea.

/End rant

beer
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:41 pm

Dark94Flame wrote:
What's this? Styx admitting he liked a Metallica album that came out after AJFA? I'm tempted to quote that in my signature, but I'm not that cruel, lol.

but i can admit to that. i'm actually curious to see the ppl that listened to n'sync and backstreet boys then turned metal admit that
Back to top Go down
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:44 pm

I listened to a ton of glam metal/popular 80s songs before metal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:54 pm

adn the next confession will be byd saying that he fucked a dingo.
anyway mc at least we listened to some form of metal
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:50 pm

MC, I know you're just playing Devil's Advocate, but a few of those would be best to just die. Metalcore and Deathcore needs to die. All they are is cliche knockoffs of Melo Death and Death Metal, respectively. Take a melodeath song, insert a recycled riff, a crappy breakdown, and crybaby lyrics and you have melo death. Do basically the same thing to a Death Metal song and you have Deathcore.

BM elitism is f***ing homo. "Hey! You can't like ColdWorld, it's not kvlt trve fdasgd!#$#$#^ Black Metal!!!". Pretty much enough said, because these are the guys that sit at home with no friends

I don't want to sound pissed, but I think I lost a little respect for you for that embarassment comment. You don't have to go up to a girl and say "My favorite band is called Cock and Ball Torture!". But if you have friends who have no idea that metal is your favorite genre, then gtfo. You don't have to dress and act like a metalhead, but you don't have to go to lengths to hide it. I, personally, am completely open about loving metal and I only get 9 or 10 dirty looks a day.

Oh, and classic rock/glam metal were the first music genres I got into

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MarshallEMG
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 1619
Hedonistic Glory : 4834
Joined In : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:59 pm

Axeforhire wrote:
MC, I know you're just playing Devil's Advocate, but a few of those would be best to just die. Metalcore and Deathcore needs to die. All they are is cliche knockoffs of Melo Death and Death Metal, respectively. Take a melodeath song, insert a recycled riff, a crappy breakdown, and crybaby lyrics and you have melo death. Do basically the same thing to a Death Metal song and you have Deathcore.

BM elitism is f***ing homo. "Hey! You can't like ColdWorld, it's not kvlt trve fdasgd!#$#$#^ Black Metal!!!". Pretty much enough said, because these are the guys that sit at home with no friends

I don't want to sound pissed, but I think I lost a little respect for you for that embarassment comment. You don't have to go up to a girl and say "My favorite band is called Cock and Ball Torture!". But if you have friends who have no idea that metal is your favorite genre, then gtfo. You don't have to dress and act like a metalhead, but you don't have to go to lengths to hide it. I, personally, am completely open about loving metal and I only get 9 or 10 dirty looks a day.

Oh, and classic rock/glam metal were the first music genres I got into

Yea I agree with all that. The core shit really needs to get sent to hell. Whats even more annoying is all there fans claim that their favorite bands like "BmtH, tDWP and BtBaM" are the "New metal" and theres nothing we can do about it. f***, I dont even consider that shit metal its just a bunch of rich, Douchey scene kids dicking around with their new guitars that Mommy and Daddy bought for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:02 pm

Which is the same way all the thrashers felt about glam back in the day and all the black metalists felt about death metal and death metal about black metal and ect ect ect. Like I say the shit will clear out as time goes on and the good ones will be left behind.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:08 pm

I love the cheesey power metal
Mcdonalds of metal, I like that

Dirty Gerdy
A Scholar

Number of posts : 276
Hedonistic Glory : 3427
Joined In : 2009-02-27

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:35 pm

I think that turning on a band only occurs when a band turns on themselves. I would agree that its ignorant to turn on a band when the band themselves haven't changed.

I will point out that my post about Sonic Syndicates early stuff .vs. new stuff is a case where you can abandon a band as a fan. They COMPLETELY changed from a once great melodeath (eden fire) to shitty music in general now...they might as well work for disney imo.

So they dropped a member of the band for some other douchebag and they get worse.

They changed I drop them as a fan...but I will forever be a fan of the early stuff.

so you will always be a fan of what ''was'' but might not always be a fan of what "is" or ''will be''
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:16 pm

Metal elitism is stupid in general. What the f*** is the point in hating other subgenres? I don't get it. I listen to every metal subgenre, minus the -core shit. I wouldn't have a problem with -core if there was a shred of creativity in it, but it's all stolen riffs and has become it's own subculture. Like I said, I know many people who are "metalheads" but only listen to -core and Dethklok.

But we don't have to worry about it. There's a lot of people, like this forum, who realize it's all music to be enjoyed

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:24 am

Axeforhire wrote:

That's like saying "All Black Metal is consisted of 2 power chords, bad production, and vocals just screamed into the mic." You can't just generalize a genre. There are some great metalcore/deathcore bands that go unheard because people automatically hate a band if they are considered "core."

Quote :

True, but elitist black metal is usually good, musically/philosophically speaking.

Quote :

I don't take steps to hide it, and I'll talk about it when asked. Usually I wear metal t-shirts, but I don't run around bragging about how the music I listen to is "Satanic and evil" when most of my friends don't like that kind of stuff, and it would just make things awkward. I don't have to drive around yelling "SLAYER!" out of my car window while smashing a beer can on my head.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:45 pm

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Axeforhire wrote:

That's like saying "All Black Metal is consisted of 2 power chords, bad production, and vocals just screamed into the mic." You can't just generalize a genre. There are some great metalcore/deathcore bands that go unheard because people automatically hate a band if they are considered "core."

Quote :

True, but elitist black metal is usually good, musically/philosophically speaking.

Quote :

I don't take steps to hide it, and I'll talk about it when asked. Usually I wear metal t-shirts, but I don't run around bragging about how the music I listen to is "Satanic and evil" when most of my friends don't like that kind of stuff, and it would just make things awkward. I don't have to drive around yelling "SLAYER!" out of my car window while smashing a beer can on my head.

With the metalcore thing, usually the decent metalcore can be fit into melo death. I dunno, it's too similar to melo death to be it's own genre really. The difference is usually in a few key things that are give or take. Now I'm not saying Scar Symmetry = Five Finger Death Punch, but I would almost consider the two the same genre..

As for the parading around yelling slayer, you don't have to do that. But people that are embarassed about liking metal can leave. I am not embarassed, in fact I am quite the opposite. I think he was getting that the people who try to hide it because it's "embarassing"

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:52 pm

I would be just a bit embarrassed if I was driving around in a car blasting Manowar's Gods of War album.

I can't imagine being stopped at a red light with "AND THE WHIP CRACKS IN THE WIND" coming out of the car stereo. I do, however, give some less cheesy stuff a good blasting once in a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:56 pm

Manowar is nothing to be ashamed about... as long as you know the people who are staring at you have never seen the band in real life, wearing their rediculous outfits, strutting around with their camper than a caravan hoilday poses, then the music isn't that bad.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:57 pm

I get dirty looks daily pulling out the school's parking lot. Sometimes it's the cheesiest shit ever and sometimes the most evil sounding shit ever.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:58 pm

Thrash metal is so fun to play in the car, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:04 pm

Hahahaha Thrash and Death. I always play something loud and obnoxious, and then all of a sudden realize that I'm speeding at 20 mph over the speed limit. Never fails, too. I think it's physically impossible for me to obey the speed limit while listening to metal

Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:14 pm

Gonna agree with both of those statements.
Back to top Go down
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:20 pm

Axeforhire wrote:
Hahahaha Thrash and Death. I always play something loud and obnoxious, and then all of a sudden realize that I'm speeding at 20 mph over the speed limit. Never fails, too. I think it's physically impossible for me to obey the speed limit while listening to metal

Don't listen to Hybria when driving then, lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:27 pm

I listened to Skeletonwitch and I was fucked

Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:45 pm

When people enter my room they always have a wtf face
I'm either listening to
A really folky metal song
Cheesey as hell power metal
Evil sounding black metal

I was listening to Ensiferum and a guy asked me why I was listening to asian music

blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:53 pm

Wow xD epic fail. Yeah I always have headphones on so lol. And I'm never in my room except at night so no one asks me stuff like that. Except one guy who came in to visit my roommate and looked at my posters and asked if I listened to "that screamy music"
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:58 pm

I want to destroy the word screamo

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:00 pm

I love how my stepdad was calling Ensiferum "Satan Music". No joke, he completely thinks I'm a satan worshipper.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:00 pm

I must confess, I used to call anything with extreme vocals screamo. I have seen the light, and it is beautiful.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:31 pm

lol one of my favorite recent memories. I was listening to Sahg in my room and my dad walked by and jokingly shouted. Are you worshiping satan in there!? And I was like nope getting stoned! Hmm ok thats a bit better I guess lol.
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10719
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:00 pm

Quote :
Why would you want an entire genre of bands to stop making music? Lots of underground Deathcore is great.

Nope, sorry, no such thing

Quote :

I can agree with this to a point, but why would I listen to techdeath if I didn't want to hear huge solos? I don't want the whole song to be a solo though, and the riffs usually suck in techdeath. Wanky solos are good sometimes, wanky riffs are not.

Being technical just for the sake of being so ends up being boring. If all you're looking forward to is the solo, is that not just as bad as waiting for the catchy chorus in pop or the "heavy part" in -core?

Quote :

No, slam riffs can be good (just like breakdowns) but the slam movement is terrible

Quote :

Agreed to an extent, but imagine Origin without triggered drums. It would sound like a mess.

Triggered drums are fine, just not to the extent where they don't even sound like drums anymore

Quote :

Without BM elitism we would have the black metal philosophies we have today, and since most black metal is based off philosophy...

Black Metal philosphy = Satan, god sucks, trees. There's not much beyond that.

Quote :

Telling girls that I listen to bands called Sublime Cadaveric Decomposition and Paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis is pretty much a death sentence for the friendship.

Make better friends

Quote :

Good production =\= polished production. Good production = production that suits the type of music being played.

You just restated exactly what I said

Quote :

McDonalds = Unhealthy, just likie fruity Power Metal. Plus it's also low quality, again like fruity Power Metal.

Quote :

Well, you pretty much stated why most "core" bands are hated within the metal community.

Whaaaaaatt, that's not even close as to what I was talking about.

Quote :

beer
Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:05 pm

Cheesy Power Metal is awesome. I mean, a lot of it is just bubble gum music that you listen to and have a good time, and then turn on something with more intellectual lyrics. But I must admit, cheesy battle themed power and folk metal is completely awesome and some of my favorite music. Although folk metal is a lot more thoughtful music, it's along the same lines for the most part

Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:40 pm

Its still metal, more fun than listening to punk

Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:41 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
Quote :

Nope, sorry, no such thing

Quote :

Being technical just for the sake of being so ends up being boring. If all you're looking forward to is the solo, is that not just as bad as waiting for the catchy chorus in pop or the "heavy part" in -core?

Quote :

No, slam riffs can be good (just like breakdowns) but the slam movement is terrible

Quote :

Black Metal philosphy = Satan, god sucks, trees. There's not much beyond that.

Quote :

McDonalds = Unhealthy, just likie fruity Power Metal. Plus it's also low quality, again like fruity Power Metal.

You need to stop generalizing so much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 10 Things that need to end in metal   

Back to top Go down

10 Things that need to end in metal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next