Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

My term paper on heavy metal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25347
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: My term paper on heavy metal   Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:22 pm

I posted this before but took it off so my teacher didn't think I was plagerizing or something. Anyway here's my paper.

Heavy Metal: Inspiration or Encouraging Violence

Music is one of many ways in which an expression can be projected effectively. Before lyrics even come into consideration, there are countless other icons to be pointed out. When a band enters a stage they are often times in character, representing something to the audience. Bands such as Kiss or Alice Cooper receive large amounts of fans from their acting capabilities. Presentation of oneself plays a large role in how others perceive us. Stauber describes a situation in which a mother is perceived as an activist for the safety of others.
“…a drunk driver killed the 13-year old daughter of Candy L. Lightner…Lightner created…Mothers Against Drunk Driving…After Lightner and her surviving daughter held a press conference to describe the consequences of drunk driving, Levine said, “a photo of the tearful mother and daughter flashed around the world, and suddenly the agony of death from driving under the influence had a face and name: Candy Lightner.” (Stauber, 65)
Candy Lightner will be perceived as the loving woman who was heartbroken over her loss. Because of her actions, she will always be known for what actions she performed. Much like Candy Lightner, bands will try to represent a consistent image. Once a general ideology of a bands persona is clear, fans as well as myself decide if we support or are against such groups.

Finoro 2
I mentioned in my “Decoding Advertisement” blog that when we purchase an item, we often purchase what the object represents. I feel if you attend a metal concert you are not just a fan of the music. Metal bands strongly represent a topic through their lyrics and attire. Black metal often times represents a strong abhorrence towards religion. System of a Down is a heavy metal band that sings about anti-war in almost every title. Buying an album from System does not automatically place the buyer as a pacifist, but one cannot fully listen to their songs without being aware of its messages. System of a Down’s song titled Deer Dance says “We can’t afford to be neutral on a moving train”, people need to fully understand what activities they’re engaging in. I agree with this thought in a dominant fashion.
Heavy metal usually symbolizes freedom above anything else. It is also a very louder and often times an angrier version of rock. To perceive System of a Down as simply a band that falls under a genre would be similar to narcissus narcosis, a state of ignorance. Music is an amplification, and an extension of the ear. We are given amplifications to learn, therefore we must know why we are listening to the songs we choose. My blog entitled “Theory/Praxis” explains that people are comforted engaging in activities that they can relate to; and through ideology we progress through life. I stated in the previously mentioned blog, “we cannot have knowledge, without some sort of process”. System of a Down’s implications must be assessed beyond its sometimes-ambiguous lyrics. A specific song is cleverly titled

Finoro 3
“A.D.D” which now is an acronym for: American Dream Denial. The political implications of songs cannot be left to denotation alone.
System clearly expresses its strong feelings against war. Metal can be enjoyed because of its pleasant sound, but a critical look towards its overall moral is significant. What does System of a Down mean? The name itself sounds like an attack or a general disagreement with the decisions that the government makes. System of a Down depicts disorder and humanism. Heavy metal attempts to appeal to our senses with shock value and encourages us to be ourselves and to not concern ourselves with superficial matters.
Cannibal Corpse is a metal band that is known for very controversial album artwork. Music stores will frequently ask for an alternate album cover to censor the graphic nature of their artwork. This poses the question of why is it legitimate to denounce a work of art as unworthy to the public. Heavy metal albums are usually separated from other respected genres. Ironically the majority of people who will see the censorship are fans that already know what they are interested in. “In no other form of society in history has there been such a concentration of images… We are now so accustomed to being addressed by these images that we scarcely notice their total impact.” (Berger, 130) John Berger states that we are surrounded by advertisement and therefore do not always take its implications to heart. I agree that bands should be able to put whatever they see fit on their albums, even though I don’t find them appealing. (See Appendix A) Metal albums are secluded and will only be found if they are sought after. Based on John Berger’s
Finoro 4
theory that people are used to media images, I am led to believe that someone would have a personal vendetta to seek these albums and ask for them to be censored.
Scott McCloud brings up a term titled closure that confirms that people come to their own conclusion when encountering something, “This phenomenon of observing the parts but perceiving the whole has a name. It’s called closure…Participation is a powerful force in any medium. Filmmakers long ago realized the importance of allowing viewers to use their imaginations.” (McCloud, 69) Scott shows a picture of a man about to swing an axe at his victim. The impact of the weapon is not shown so people are left to assess the situation. There is a large sum of people who highly disprove of heavy metal, which is the conclusion that they can respectively come to after connoting its implications. Generally when an offensive album art, or lyrical content is discovered, people will attack the metal party rather than respectfully disagreeing. I do not agree with the implications of many metal songs as they often sing about: violence, evil, and suicide. On the other hand I don’t believe that musicians should be blamed for crimes.
There has been countless occurrences where a perpetrator committed a crime and police were quick to point out that they listen to Ozzy Osbourne. The aging metalhead does not deserve to be punished for expressing himself and having a stage personage, he explains: “I’ve now been sued by about 25 people who claim their kids committed suicide from listening to my music”. During a lecture the topic
Finoro 5 of unclear information was strongly announced as an issue. When something unfortunate occurs it is a natural reaction to find a potential poor influence to direct
blame. This is an extreme example of information (lyrics) misinterpreted leading to disastrous results. Ozzy continuously denies promoting suicide. I believe it is safe to assume that musicians don’t want their fans to kill themselves. Unsurprisingly, parents do not fancy “Ozzy, Prince of Darkness” as just a performer. Heavy metal musicians often times sound angry and sometimes have explicit artwork and lyrical content. It is very easy to blame a band with songs with titles such as “Suicide Solution” or “God Hates us All”. For these reasons, metal is often times an icon of uncontrollable emotion.
Chuck Klosterman describes music as an “illusion.” He explains that a Guns N’ Roses cover band are “paying tribute to the Guns N’ Roses Lifestyle. They’re totally willing to become other people.” (Klosterman, 68) Thus bringing up the most dominant icon of metal that is to be simply heard, and understood. Metal bands live a lifestyle of almost oppression, further emphasizing their feelings of freedom through their music. By oppression I mean that metal is often times generalized or viewed in a negative connotation. Metal fans in particular teenagers, are often times generalized by the public. An author and professor writes that these fans spend a lot of time in their room and have questionable attitudes towards their parents. He interviewed a subject and came to the following conclusion:
“The music clearly had an ideological significance for him…To him, the dark music and pessimistic lyrics of heavy metal songs reflect the harsh reality of
Finoro 6
life. I have a hard time with all these people that put down [heavy metal bands] say they’re satanic and they worship the devil and all this. If you listen to the words in their songs, it’s all reality. Dying is reality, nuclear war is
reality, going out and killing somebody is reality, living on the streets is reality, and they talk about reality problems.” (Arnett, 2)
I agree with the message the interviewee wanted to send. Heavy metal usually does not promote chaotic behavior, but rather discuss its implications. Every respected genre sings about topics that have potential to become controversial. Metal and rap are the easiest genres to target for the angry or seemingly negative influential band members. Music is a form of cool media in the sense that it requires the listeners to completely engage themselves in the lyrical significance. “It depends precisely upon not sharing your experience with those who envy you…the more impersonal you are, the greater the illusion.” (Berger, 133) Berger explains that owning a material wealth such a painting is an experience on its own. Listening to metal gives the illusion of a personal knowledge, similar to the way Klosterman viewed illusion. Every genre has its set of bands that are fairly unknown.
I feel a certain connection to bands that none of my friends have ever heard of before. Everyone has a certain passion or activity that they enjoy doing by themselves. I enjoy listening to music that I choose to hear, and I know I will not hear it in stores because the stores want to appeal to what people already know. I mentioned earlier in my blog that people are most comforted by what is familiar. I

Finoro 7
feel inclined to try something new and music gives me the opportunity to enjoy non-American art.
Heavy metal is a collection of symbols within its music. From this genre a number of bands that support metal’s theories originate. Once the band is created
they intend to play exceptional sounding music and possibly with the bonus of interesting lyrics. Metal bands sing about a vast variety of topics ranging from: violence, dragons, heroics, death, the government, love, Lord of the rings, and much more. To completely deconstruct heavy metal, its message is to be yourself and not to let the discouragement of others lead to your downfall. The means that the bands deliver their songs are through: radio, television, the Internet, concerts, ipods, and more. The people who receive the message are the ones who are open to the idea of the symbolization that heavy metal represents. The listener can feel a variety of emotions after a listening session. Different outcomes will occur when someone decides to act upon their feelings. The results could be inspirational, or the music could present a bad influence to that individual. Ultimately, the music does not cause people to act it is only a gateway that begins to lead people in a direction that they choose.

Appendix A
Too lazy to post, but its a typical Cannibal album

I got 50% on this, pretty good I know

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10782
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: My term paper on heavy metal   Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:29 pm

Stopped reading after you mentioned SoaD tbh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: My term paper on heavy metal   Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:57 pm

Its aiight

Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486628
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: My term paper on heavy metal   Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:57 pm

SoaD is awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: My term paper on heavy metal   Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:22 pm

Master Cthulhu wrote:
SoaD is awesome.

No... just no.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: My term paper on heavy metal   Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:39 am

Soad is not in the essay too much

blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11753
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: My term paper on heavy metal   Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:41 am

I'll try to dig up my essay I did on metal in highschool and post it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My term paper on heavy metal   

Back to top Go down

My term paper on heavy metal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1