Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5510
Joined In : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:11 am

Oh shit I didn't even notice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14927
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:13 am

yeah. flac is nice. but i only can use it on VLC and last.fm doesnt read that. and WMP doesnt like it either
flac is wonderful, yet so unfriendly

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486627
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:14 am

Probably my favorite song from him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwdo7x3QhPs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:16 am

yeah, i just got that album.

im off school, so i have lots of alone time to blast the music and use the photoshop. ill let you guys know in a couple days

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:31 am

You know what else is great about Devin?

You know he'll never be on MTV:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10448
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:34 am

Devin is a badass, and he's funny as hell. SYL is one of the best bands out there these days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:46 am

Any of his groups are some of the best of the best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:47 am

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486627
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:48 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:50 am

Is Youtube running really shitty for anyone else?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:50 am

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:18 am

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:25 am

that video had a profound effect on me. im now sold on this guy. he is a hero. that was some awesome.
"yeah, in that album, i want to say f*** alot. 'SHIT f*** AND f*** SHIT f*** FUCK AND FUCK"

wonderful
this man is a beast
"yeah look at me, something i learned when i was a dungeon master in grade 12 f***ing wow"

cthulu. +rep to you fine sir. and +rep to Devin, if i could

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11752
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:01 pm

Skaven wrote:
Holy shit. He was playing like 3 sets that sounds fantastic.

makes me think of the time I missed seeing Sigh with Zimmer Hole cause my mom wouldn't let me go to the venue ;-;

No he played 2 sets, DT doesn't play in Zimmers Hole, The Devin Townsend Band were the opening act followed by Zimmers Hole and then SYL headlined. Byron Stroud and Gene Hoglan played twice that night too in Zimmers and SYL.

Ok that was my mix up. I knew some of the SYL guys were in Zimmer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:55 pm

ok 2 gigs later and i now own all of devin

vacation. a loooong vacation is ahead. i will make some headway on his music comming up soon

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:56 pm

holy shit i almost welcomed blackstar to the forum. damn you and your avatar changes
Back to top Go down
Skaven
A Scholar

Number of posts : 380
Hedonistic Glory : 3565

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:19 pm

Another great gig I went to was when The Devin Townsend Band played back in 2001 and they had Godflesh in support, although back then it was just Devin Townsend not the DTB. I was at the time Devin released the Terria album and Godflesh had released their final album Hymns or they were about to, it was....soooo long ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:29 am

Question, a very difficult one but I'm interested in getting into Devin's projects. One album to get started at. Good luck lol.
Back to top Go down
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:32 am

blackstar wrote:
Question, a very difficult one but I'm interested in getting into Devin's projects. One album to get started at. Good luck lol.

Ziltoid the Omniscient. Without a doubt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:33 am

Ok thanks, any other recs or just get all his shit xD
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10781
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:33 am

It has to be two to showcase both of Devin's sides. Get Strapping Young Lad - City and Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine. Ziltoid is good and all but I feel like it's easily his weakest effort next to Physicist, Synchestra, and the ambient albums.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:37 am

Taxer666 wrote:
. Ziltoid is good and all but I feel like it's easily his weakest effort next to Physicist, Synchestra, and the ambient albums.

Dude no. Just no...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:41 am

PortraitOfSanity wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:
. Ziltoid is good and all but I feel like it's easily his weakest effort next to Physicist, Synchestra, and the ambient albums.

Dude no. Just no...

All Ziltoid does is mix elements of SYL and Devin Townsend's solo stuff with humor. It isn't a bad album at all, really, it's just that you can experience much more of his talent through other albums.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:19 am

"I AM ZILTOID.....the omniscient. If ever there were two omniscients....i would be BOTH!"

awesome line

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:53 am

I got Alien and SYL from my friend and I've been playing them daily since I got em very very nice.
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:09 am

i have syl and all of devin
devin is really making an impression on me. ki is wonderful

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
rocknrollchair
Natural Born Headbanger

Number of posts : 643
Hedonistic Glory : 3590
Joined In : 2009-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:20 am

i hear Devin Townsend here at M+E "hate´s top 100" the first time + i´m fixed on very much!!!
can anybody tell me a little about. THANX
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:02 pm

rocknrollchair wrote:
i hear Devin Townsend here at M+E "hate´s top 100" the first time + i´m fixed on very much!!!
ok, im a new listener to Devin, but he is very....eccentric. i know that wont translate to german very well, but the best i can say is he is a very smart guy, can play beautifully, and is just kinda crazy.
i was recommended the album, Ziltoid, the Omniscient. That is a very good album. About an alien trying to search for earth's "ultimate cup of coffee"
another good album i have listened to is Ki. Kinda soft and ambient. i really dont know how to describe it either

i got ALL of his albums. he was in a band called Strapping Young Lad. I Downladed that work as well, though i havent listened to it. I have been told that all of his work is good, but i have like his solo work. His solo work was just called "Devin Townsed". And he recently started a 4 album project to which he is 2 albums into, called "Devin townsend Project". Those albums are Ki, and Addicted. I reccomend those

make more sense?
Devin Townsend macht spass.....only german phrase i rememeber

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
rocknrollchair
Natural Born Headbanger

Number of posts : 643
Hedonistic Glory : 3590
Joined In : 2009-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:09 pm

brutality, thynameismetal wrote:
rocknrollchair wrote:
ok, im a new listener to Devin, but he is very....eccentric. i know that wont translate to german very well, but the best i can say is he is a very smart guy, can play beautifully, and is just kinda crazy.
i was recommended the album, Ziltoid, the Omniscient. That is a very good album. About an alien trying to search for earth's "ultimate cup of coffee"
another good album i have listened to is Ki. Kinda soft and ambient. i really dont know how to describe it either

i got ALL of his albums. he was in a band called Strapping Young Lad. I Downladed that work as well, though i havent listened to it. I have been told that all of his work is good, but i have like his solo work. His solo work was just called "Devin Townsed". And he recently started a 4 album project to which he is 2 albums into, called "Devin townsend Project". Those albums are Ki, and Addicted. I reccomend those

make more sense?
Devin Townsend macht spass.....only german phrase i rememeber
Vielen Dank(Thanx A Lot) Commander for information,but i think my english is better than your DEUTSCH,if you want to learn a litte german go to FUCK IS UNCENSORED,hahaHaHAHA........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:40 pm

i thought it was vielen danken. whoops
one semester taught me squat
and yes, your english is better than my german

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:47 pm

Forget Ziltoid, get Ocean Machine, Infinity, and Terria from his solo work and get City from Strapping Young Lad. Honestly it's easily his best work. SOme other good albums are Ki from Devin Townsend Project and Accelerated Evolution from The Devin Townsend Band. Ziltoid is good but it's just a weak mix of all of his other work. Think of it as a greatest hits type thing except it's all new material.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:05 pm

Dude... Ziltoid is absolutely infuckingcredible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:27 pm

PortraitOfSanity wrote:
Dude... Ziltoid is absolutely infuckingcredible.

Once you listen to it like 100000000 times like I did, the novelty wears off and you see that it's still good, just not nearly the best thing he's done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:43 pm

taxer has a small point there
i have listened to that album only 3 times
i still have to make my way through his dicograophy

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)   

Back to top Go down

Devin Townsend (So many different things it isn't even funny)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2