Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Amored Core: For Answer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9846
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Amored Core: For Answer   Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:59 am

For PS3 [also available for XBOX 360]

I'm a bit of an AC fan and I got it a few days ago.

The Basic Overview: You pilot a robot. You're a mercenary and companies hire you to do missions which usually involve things like, well, you know...destruction. By playing through the game you unlock parts and gain money to buy parts for your robot and make it more badass. Your robot can fly around with jets and carry multiple weapons to utilize, and perform some cool combat maneuvers.

Graphics: If it's PS2 or better then it's as good as it needs to be in my opinion. Game lags at times and parts of your NEXT (robot) can kind of ghost through walls and stuff which is ugly but doesn't happen too much because most of the game is in very large open environments. Things look pretty bland in the details but pretty good in the big picture.
7/10
Weight: 2

Sound: Yeah yeah yeah sounds all right. Nothing that amazes you but it definitely has plenty of cool jet sounds and has that war noise thing going on. When I fight I can hear my jet going, the water I'm on blowing around, my machine guns going at it, etc. Music is near worthless though. I quite like the kind of ambient techno kind of thing or whatever you would call it, but it's quite minimalistic and unnoticeable and during the missions there is just some kind of faint background music with a girl singing.
4/10
Weight: 1

Story Mode: I quite like the story mode. There are 3 different endings you can get depending on what final missions you end up taking, it takes 5 play-throughs to do every mission...although with a lot of overlap. The missions are usually pretty short but that's normal for AC and it doesn't hurt. A lot of time will be spent planning out your strategy and customizing your AC specifically for the mission. You get ranks when you finish missions...D, C, B, A, S, based on your performance. Also there is a hard version of every mission which you can access as soon as you beat the normal version of the mission. I was kind of disappointed that the story just didn't really blow my mind much. Ever since AC2: Another Age, at the end where you beat all the shit in the game and then you get those secret missions with those uber high tech unknown origin robots...now that was badass. I just orgasmed as I fought them. Anyways there are 42 missions, 84 counting hard mode, and they probably take mostly 5-15 minutes to finish each in real time but a lot more in reality. Arms Fort battles (battles against really fucking big crafts) are pretty cool...although you can usually take the things down quite easily.
7/10
Weight: 5

Arena Mode: I just finished arena mode and I have to say it left a lot to be desired. There are two separate ladders...one with 30 matches, the other with 12. Honestly the thing that frustrated me most was the NEXT and Pilot descriptions. They are very short and mostly just say mindless gibberish about how the AC has powerful weaponry or something. Bullshit; I pissed all over it. The sentences have illogical transitions, seemingly just to make them more painfully short. I used to go through the list of arena ACs and just sit there and read the descriptions about their life and personality. It was fascinating...and you would look over at the AC and see some serious character put into it. It was involving and the background music, whatever it was, probably helped the process. Another thing...the ladder doesn't feel like much of a ladder. The difficulty doesn't really increase as you go up...you just hit hiccups here and there. I killed one of the guys who was ranked 5 or something without even getting hit a single time...which is absurd considering I had to sit there and unload half my ammo directly into the thing for a minute or two before it would die. This was a really high ranked AC that was absolutely awful. And then the top AC felt hardly more difficult than some of the bottom level ACs. To summarize...the ladder doesn't make much sense and is very anti-climatic. In the past games the top dog was actually just that...a top dog. One hard mother fucker to kill. Another complaint; you face quite a bit of the arena ACs in the missions. This is just an absolute no...especially when they pretty much put all the coolest and most interesting arena ACs into the missions. I went through it telling myself several times, "I already killed this thing." Also the ladder didn't prove to be very challenging. Last but not least...no fucking arena dome map. All open maps that are mostly flat with some obstacles like buildings or desert hills or whatever. There are 5 to choose from, which isn't much either.
3/10
Weight: 6

Your Robot: In this game the robots you pilot are called NEXT's, not AC's. For whatever reason they decided it had to be changed even if it was going to end up being the exact fucking same thing with a few upgrades. Anyways in this game you start off with your NEXT already carrying some decent weaponry and equipment...much different from the PS2 AC games I played where your guy started off as nearly the worst build possible. I actually don't prefer starting off with a slightly decent guy but whatever. There is a decent selection of parts for your NEXT but overall it all lacks character really. There are only a few leg-types to choose from. Not many of the parts go beyond being slight variations of each other. The weapons aren't too interesting really. You can now dual wield your weapons and fire both at once which is kind of cool but helps defeat the usefulness of blades and "back-up" weapons. It's just when you're allowed to dual wield weapons it is more like 1 weapon than 2 weapons, although you could do combos of two weapons which I guess is all right but certainly not the more than the sum of its parts, so to speak. The weapon selection is pretty good but lacks a bit in the awesomeness factor, and isn't really an improvement over anything. The selection is more limited it seems. The NEXT has a few new tricks and toys which all seems fine and nice. However that is where the bad and neutral news mostly stops. Designing the color scheme on your NEXT is awesome. I named my NEXT "Power Cosmic" after the Bal-Sagoth album. I wanted a black, blue, and yellow color scheme. And goddamn did I get it. My guy is basically pitch black with blue and yellow glitter all over. It looks like the night sky out in the desert. It looks unbelievably sexy. It's like I don't have to stop playing the game to masturbate. It's that serious. Also there is an FRS memory system where by completing missions, hard missions, arena matches, and getting good ranks on missions you improve you gain FRS memory points. You can use these to improve your NEXT's performance...like speed (generally speaking), manueverability, energy output, energy capacity, etc. I think it's pretty cool and it provides you incentive to finish the game in it's entirety...to get all 442 points. Also you can save NEXT designs and even load enemy NEXT designs so you can pilot the craft of a NEXT you defeated in an arena match or a company NEXT design, etc.
6/10
Weight: 6

Online: Not graded.

Total: 5.5/10
Okay / Decent

And did I mention my NEXT is goddamn sexy? Jesus fucking christ it is dripping in cosmos and cosmic power. It truly is the Power Cosmic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scarstruck
A Good Fellow

Number of posts : 98
Hedonistic Glory : 3050
Joined In : 2009-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Amored Core: For Answer   Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:29 am

My favorite was AC2 for PS2, it would be the first AC but everytime i get to 9-Ball my fucking game freezes lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9846
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Amored Core: For Answer   Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:35 am

I had AC2: Another Age. That game was absolutely awesome. I'm still getting a lot of fun out of this one too...just wish I could play online.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amored Core: For Answer   

Back to top Go down

Amored Core: For Answer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1