Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Interview with Vincent of Howl (by yours truely)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11690
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Interview with Vincent of Howl (by yours truely)   Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:41 pm

Will be on Circleofdestruction.net soon.

Blackstar: For those unfamiliar with your band could you introduce the group and give us a small history such as where you are from and how long youíve been playing together?

Vincent (vox/guitar): First off, thanks so much for doing this interview with us! We're a metal band from Providence, Rhode Island, and we've been playing together for about 3 years. The lineup is Rob on bass, Timmy on drums, Andrea on guitar, and myself, Vincent, on guitar and lead vocals. The drummer and I had been playing as a two-piece for a while, when we decided we wanted to beef up our sound. We knew Rob, and we knew he liked beef, so we asked him to join us on bass. Shortly thereafter, after one of our first shows with Rob, Andrea stepped up and asked if we wanted to jam with a second guitar player. So we jammed, stuff clicked, and we've been this four-piece ever since.

Blackstar: Musically your EP has been said to have some things similar to stoner/doom bands such as Baroness or the Sword but with harsher sludge oriented vocals and a much darker lyrical sense. Would you consider this to be a fairly accurate description?

Vincent: Hell yeah, that's pretty right on. We worship the riff, love the slow groove of sludge and stoner stuff, but we also listen to some pretty dark, weird records. We're just trying to play what feels good, and I guess that means we end up combining various styles. But yeah, I'd say doomy, sludgy grooves, with maybe some alligators sliding just beneath the swamp's surface. Someone once described us as "Bong-Rippin' Labyrinth Metal". Hahahaa... so yeah, something like that.

Blackstar: The thing that really caught my ear about your music is your ability to wind slow dirgy passages together with whirlwind drumming and much faster chugging passages without losing the darkened atmosphere you originally set in the track. Was this sort of ďset outĒ as a goal for the band musically or did it just kind of develop naturally?

Vincent: Naw man, we really don't set out to sound any particular way; we just get together, write some riffs, and let the songs come together naturally.

Blackstar: On the topic of the progression of your music you currently only have the one three song EP released if I am correct but are currently in the studio working on your full length. How is the album progressing? Should we expect much of the same vein as the EP or some new twists and turns? Also while on the studio are there any interesting/funny/horror stories from the studio to report as of yet?

Vincent: The new Howl album is, if anything, more extreme than the EP; moving from aggression to slow doom, through both black metal atmospheres and blues-based harmonies. We really tried to incorporate the various styles we love, though never losing sight of what this band is ultimately about: the almighty riff. The new album is gonna be sick...
Recording this stuff has been a trip; from me looking like an idiot doing jumping jacks to get warmed up (it's the dead of winter in this godforsaken state), to the drummer breaking his kick-drum pedal on the last beat of the last song, this record was laid down in what felt like the asscrack of a fucking icestorm.

Blackstar: The band is currently signed to Relapse Records. How did you get picked up by such a powerhouse name and how is this relationship going so far? Iíve heard really mixed reviews from bands that have been picked up by Relapse as to how well they aid and promote bands on their label.

Vincent: Man, I'll tell you, Relapse has been awesome to work with. They have some really cool and dedicated people working for them, and I gotta say we've been treated right by them so far. In terms of how we got picked up, I can only speculate that they liked what they heard, and saw we were working our asses off.

Blackstar: Moving a bit away from your music Iíve read that you will be joining Skeletonwitch on their headlining North American tour (where I will if all goes well I will be attending in Memphis). How did you get booked for this and are you excited to be playing with Skeletonwitch and the other bands on the tour?

Vincent: Yeah man, on the road with the Almighty Witch!! Super fucking stoked man...

Blackstar: Still on tours will this be your first major trek or have you been doing out of state touring to this point?

Vincent: Oh yeah, we've been touring a bunch, mostly stuff we booked ourselves.

Blackstar: While this is almost joking directed at Andrea I couldnít resist the stereotypical urge to ask. Having a woman in your band in a genre heavily dominated by men and with shows heavily consisting of drunk men, have the guys in the band ever had to pummel someone or had to deal with any particularly obnoxious guys while you were playing?

Vincenet: Hahaaa well, she's a pretty tough lady, and takes care of her own business just fine. Can't say I've ever had to intervene. One time, while we were playing, this guy got in front of her and took a chair and kinda tried to jab her or something... Probably some retard looking for attention... A swift kick from her took care of that real quick...

Blackstar: To go a bit back towards music. What is the music scene like over in Rhode Island or specifically in Providence where you are based? Is it fairly large or underground and what kind of genres seem to have the biggest following?

Vincent: The music scene here in Providence is pretty vibrant; there's a ton of bands, and lots of people doing cool shit. From punk rock to noise to indie bands to more mellow folky stuff... There's political hip hop, a crazy marching band that covers Slayer.. you name it, it's here...

Blackstar: On that note are there any local best kept secret bands we should be looking into from your home state?

Vincent: Oh hell yeah, check out the myspace profiles for: Prayers For Atheists, St Jude, She Rides, Bonestorm, Hollows, and Tinsel Teeth.

Blackstar: 2009 as far as Iím concerned was a pretty good year for metal. What have been some of the CDís released this year that the band hasnít been able to keep out of the player and who do you think are some of the best new and up and coming bands?

Vincent: I personally love the last records by YOB, Immortal, Converge, Gorgoroth, Behemoth, Skeletonwitch, to name a few. And we've had the pleasure of getting to know more recent bands like Salome, Attake, Black Anvil, Hull, Tournament.

Blackstar: Lastly I would just like to thank you again for taking the time to do this. Is there anything you would like to add or say to anyone who may be reading this?

Vincent: Thanks again for doing this interview with us. Hope to see you and anyone else out there at one of our shows. Come and see us if we come through your area with Skeletonwitch! And we hope you dig the new record!
Thanks a bunch!
Vincent
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9723
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Vincent of Howl (by yours truely)   Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:46 pm

Dude that was an awesome interview blackstar! Thanks for sharing, +rep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Vincent of Howl (by yours truely)   Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:54 pm

No problem mate.
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10719
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Vincent of Howl (by yours truely)   Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:01 am

Cool interview, maybe I should interview Arthur from Cormorant sometime soon as well
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Vincent of Howl (by yours truely)   Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:39 am

By all means. We can put it up on Circle of Destruction im sure Amy won't mind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interview with Vincent of Howl (by yours truely)   

Back to top Go down

Interview with Vincent of Howl (by yours truely)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1