Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

How often do you listen to older material?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16109
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: How often do you listen to older material?   Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:40 pm

Of course, we have the classic albums. Stuff like "Leprosy", or "Ride the Lightning", but how often do you return to older material (relatively speaking) that was just good, not mind blowing? When I first got into modern metal (I use this generic term to define all forms of metal post-early 90's) a little over a year ago, the first bands I got into were HammerFall, Sonata Arctica, Firewind, Stratovarius, and a few other power metal bands. I wasn't into extreme metal then, the most extreme form of metal I would listen to was Thrash Metal, but even that was just the essential bands like Megadeth, Testament, Slayer, Metallica, and Anthrax. But I listened to albums by these power metal artists; 'Ecliptica" by Sonata Arctica, "Legacy of Kings" by HammerFall, "Allegiance" by Firewind, etc. I listened to them obsessively, because of course this was a life altering event in my life. Music had been such a major part of my life, and to discover a new genre that captivates you is one of the best experiences in life. Anyway, as time went on I gradually got into heavier and more extreme forms of music, starting of course with Melo Death and working my way all the way to Black Metal, which is the genre I find myself most exploring now. But I always go back to the milestones, because the music depends on my mood. I still listen to "Episode" by Stratovarius, and "Primo Victoria" by Sabaton. These albums and artists helped shape my music tastes, so even the albums that aren't as fresh as they once were hold a special place in my heart. Every now and then, I'll turn on "Follow the Reaper" by Children of Bodom and reminisce about the time I found out about it. The first extreme metal band I liked (if you can call it extreme). Nevertheless, it was a memorable moment in my musical journey that has spanned genres, from blues to doom metal, from 80's pop to baroque. So my question to all of you is, how often do you go back to the albums and the artists that once used to be the big bands that consumed your time? How often do you listen to the bands that are somewhat forgettable among all of the new wondrous artists producing music that you obsess over?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Skaven
A Scholar

Number of posts : 380
Hedonistic Glory : 3625
Joined In : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:46 pm

Most of the albums I listen to most of all are what you would consider older material the classic albums of my 3 of all time favourite bands. Paradise Lost - "Gothic", "Icon" and "Draconian Times", Anathema - "Serenades", "The Silent Enigma" and My Dying Bride - "As The Flower Withers", "Turn Loose The Swans" and "The Angel and The Dark River". Aswell as classic Black Metal albums such as "In The Nightside Eclipse", "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas", "Transylvanian Hunger" etc, etc, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:48 pm

Those are albums that you found out about along time ago?

They don't have to be classic albums, just classics to you. Albums and artists that you liked awhile back, but have been put on the back burner. The albums can be from 08 and can still be a classic to you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25406
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:56 pm

Probably about 40% of the time
Never abandoning my children

blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11812
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:23 pm

Fucking Onward! No one knows about them and I've been a fan for several years. And yeah I'm sure there are albums I'm fond of that aren't really classics I wander through the CoF discog from time to time and Dimmu thing's I started on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:26 pm

Most of the time . The stuff i loved as a kid 25 / 30 years ago , Brings me back to better times .
Back to top Go down
rocknrollchair
Natural Born Headbanger

Number of posts : 643
Hedonistic Glory : 3650
Joined In : 2009-12-10

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:47 am

"old"music get more importent,the older i get,cause it holds good memorys from the past,itīs like a journey back....when i listen,automaticly,the feeling of this time,of a moment come instantly back...and theres music i donīt like in the past,but after the years i love,cos it keeps memorys,so sometimes i listen to sound ,if i would know this 25 years back,i will hate me....and younger brothers ,time will do the SAME TO U,so donīt laugh bout music taste from us "old man".........time has no mercy.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:12 am

rocknrollchair wrote:
"old"music get more importent,the older i get,cause it holds good memorys from the past,itīs like a journey back....when i listen,automaticly,the feeling of this time,of a moment come instantly back...and theres music i donīt like in the past,but after the years i love,cos it keeps memorys,so sometimes i listen to sound ,if i would know this 25 years back,i will hate me....and younger brothers ,time will do the SAME TO U,so donīt laugh bout music taste from us "old man".........time has no mercy.....
Amen brother .. Time slips ,not fades away . It was just like yeasterday for me , I can remember the fun i had as a child , Now it just makes me sad .
Back to top Go down
rocknrollchair
Natural Born Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:09 am

yes hate,good memorys can make me sad too.in my head,iīm feeling like 20,25 and the years are running so fuckin fast away,that makes me feel so down,when i think at it.......where are the years,godamn.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:14 am

As a child brought up on KISS and Hanoi Rocks, with a sprinkling of Maiden, I respect the older school of metal, and still listen to glam and classic metal quite a bit.

Not metal, but I also like the Beatles and other stuff from the 60s. I like blues and a little jazz and way before even that, I'm quite fond of classical music, mainly baroque.
Back to top Go down
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5570

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:04 pm

Master of Reality is still listed in my "most listened to" on my iPod.

But that's because Ozzy is god.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10841
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:10 pm

PortraitOfSanity wrote:

But that's because Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler are gods.

Fixed it for you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25406
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:11 pm

My family raised me with soft rock. While my uncles raised there kids with the classics: Metallica, Maiden, Guns, Slayer, etc

Took me longer to switch

Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11444
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:18 pm

Most of the time. What can I say? I love the old shit. You can never beat some classic AC/DC or Maiden.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5570

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:13 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
PortraitOfSanity wrote:

Fixed it for you

It was right the first time. They still had Iommi and Butler when Dio and shit came in, and that stuff sucked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:22 pm

PortraitOfSanity wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:
PortraitOfSanity wrote:

Fixed it for you

It was right the first time. They still had Iommi and Butler when Dio and shit came in, and that stuff sucked.

Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell are equally as good as the first 6 Ozzy albums, wtf are you smoking?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:30 pm

Dunno about Portrait, but I'm smoking reality: Blizzard of Ozz wipes the floor with anything Sabbath have done.

Ozzy is god.
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:36 pm

Ozzy's solo career is laughably bad. Ozzy is easily the most overrated mediocre singer in metal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:39 pm

Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are AMAZING albums.

Classic rock will always have a place in my heart. I love classic rock before metal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rocknrollchair
Natural Born Headbanger

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:48 pm

i love "Diary of a Madman" !!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How often do you listen to older material?   

Back to top Go down

How often do you listen to older material?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1