Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Money Can't Buy Happiness, So Man Gives Away Every Penny of His £3 Million Fortune

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Money Can't Buy Happiness, So Man Gives Away Every Penny of His £3 Million Fortune   Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:57 pm

Karl Rabeder grew up poor and thought that life would be wonderful if he had money. But when he got rich, Karl discovered that he was unhappy … so he decided to give away every penny of his £3 million fortune:

"My idea is to have nothing left. Absolutely nothing," he told The Daily Telegraph. "Money is counterproductive – it prevents happiness to come."

Instead, he will move out of his luxury Alpine retreat into a small wooden hut in the mountains or a simple bedsit in Innsbruck.

His entire proceeds are going to charities he set up in Central and Latin America, but he will not even take a salary from these.

"For a long time I believed that more wealth and luxury automatically meant more happiness," he said. "I come from a very poor family where the rules were to work more to achieve more material things, and I applied this for many years," said Mr Rabeder.

But over time, he had another, conflicting feeling.

"More and more I heard the words: ‘Stop what you are doing now – all this luxury and consumerism – and start your real life’," he said. "I had the feeling I was working as a slave for things that I did not wish for or need. I have the feeling that there are lot of people doing the same thing."
Back to top Go down
MarshallEMG
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 1619
Hedonistic Glory : 4838
Joined In : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Money Can't Buy Happiness, So Man Gives Away Every Penny of His £3 Million Fortune   Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:09 am

Good man
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11694
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Money Can't Buy Happiness, So Man Gives Away Every Penny of His £3 Million Fortune   Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:11 am

Gotta admire someone like that, can't say I'd do it lol but hey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
TheskyisblueFTW
The Magician

Number of posts : 2722
Hedonistic Glory : 6617
Joined In : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Money Can't Buy Happiness, So Man Gives Away Every Penny of His £3 Million Fortune   Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:47 pm

funny I was just thinking what I'd do if won the lottery today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/DX.Robots
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Money Can't Buy Happiness, So Man Gives Away Every Penny of His £3 Million Fortune   

Back to top Go down

Money Can't Buy Happiness, So Man Gives Away Every Penny of His £3 Million Fortune
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1