Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

dorian gray the book by oscar wilde

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
allseeingeye
Top Lad

Number of posts : 102
Hedonistic Glory : 2931
Joined In : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: dorian gray the book by oscar wilde   Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:38 pm

dorian gray by oscar wilde has been made into a movie this year any views i personaly thought it was amaizing any thoughts ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16050
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: dorian gray the book by oscar wilde   Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:46 pm

I've honestly never heard of it, but then again I'm not too big on books
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: dorian gray the book by oscar wilde   Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:52 pm

Never read the book, but the film looked like some awful twilight-esque shit, so I avoided it like the plague.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25347
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: dorian gray the book by oscar wilde   Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:38 am

Hello dies my pal my buddy my friend
I missed your laugh

allseeingeye
Top Lad

PostSubject: dorian gray   Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:11 pm

Dies Irae wrote:
Never read the book, but the film looked like some awful twilight-esque shit, so I avoided it like the plague.
it could not be further away from twilight Razz and just on that note twilight has ruined the image of the vampire Sad and just so you know dorian gray is not a vampire
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: dorian gray the book by oscar wilde   Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:21 pm

allseeingeye wrote:
Dies Irae wrote:
it could not be further away from twilight Razz and just on that note twilight has ruined the image of the vampire Sad and just so you know dorian gray is not a vampire

I know its not the same, but the depressing grey imagery and foppish young man on the cover just reeked of teenage girl fandom.

If you're looking to restore your faith in vampires, you need to watch Thirst. Park Chan-wook is a film making genius.
Back to top Go down
allseeingeye
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: dorian gray the book by oscar wilde   Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:24 pm

Dies Irae wrote:
allseeingeye wrote:
Dies Irae wrote:

I know its not the same, but the depressing grey imagery and foppish young man on the cover just reeked of teenage girl fandom.

If you're looking to restore your faith in vampires, you need to watch Thirst. Park Chan-wook is a film making genius.

you like your vampire movies ? i really want to see day breakers im really looking for a gory one aswell Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: dorian gray the book by oscar wilde   Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:26 pm

allseeingeye wrote:
Dies Irae wrote:
allseeingeye wrote:
Dies Irae wrote:

you like your vampire movies ? i really want to see day breakers im really looking for a gory one aswell Very Happy

Park is king of gory, trust me Thirst is amazing. Day Breakers is so bad I almost cried.
Back to top Go down
allseeingeye
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: dorian gray the book by oscar wilde   Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:28 pm

Dies Irae wrote:
allseeingeye wrote:
Dies Irae wrote:
allseeingeye wrote:
Dies Irae wrote:

Park is king of gory, trust me Thirst is amazing. Day Breakers is so bad I almost cried.

do you like zombie movies horde is one kick ass zombie movie its made by a french guy Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sarainadream
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 784
Hedonistic Glory : 3770
Joined In : 2009-10-08

PostSubject: Re: dorian gray the book by oscar wilde   Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:40 pm

hey allseeingeye, i read the book this summer for the first time and thought the movie kind of killed it.
why? because oscar wilde is a literary genius, he has such a poetic way with words and the movie ignored that. most of the best use of language was when the artist and dorian's muse were arguing, and the best philosophical debates were left out of the movie. the movie glorifed dorian's debauchery to a hollywood extent, and i was not fond of it at all. i was also not pleased with the casting...ben barnes as dorian? come on, not what i expected at all. also, they made his girlfriend (the actress) such a passing thing in the movie, she was a huge aspect of the book and her death actually seems like a big deal.
there were other parts that the movie kind of mangled i just refuse to account for them all.
so no, its not really 'Twilight'ish but i think they screwed up the best parts of the book, i think the ending was different too.
god damn i hate what movies do to books.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allseeingeye
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: dorian gray the book by oscar wilde   Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:57 pm

sarainadream wrote:
hey allseeingeye, i read the book this summer for the first time and thought the movie kind of killed it.
why? because oscar wilde is a literary genius, he has such a poetic way with words and the movie ignored that. most of the best use of language was when the artist and dorian's muse were arguing, and the best philosophical debates were left out of the movie. the movie glorifed dorian's debauchery to a hollywood extent, and i was not fond of it at all. i was also not pleased with the casting...ben barnes as dorian? come on, not what i expected at all. also, they made his girlfriend (the actress) such a passing thing in the movie, she was a huge aspect of the book and her death actually seems like a big deal.
there were other parts that the movie kind of mangled i just refuse to account for them all.
so no, its not really 'Twilight'ish but i think they screwed up the best parts of the book, i think the ending was different too.
god damn i hate what movies do to books.

true i found scenes in the movie such as the revealing of the face on the portrait rather annoying as when you read the book you cant really sum up the mortal sins into one image nor can anyone truly comprehend such an image . i agree regards the endings of books and the following movies another such destruction of literary art is what the xbox 360 has done to "dante's inferno " . I can only hope they make more of oscar wilde's books movies but only as long as they justify them in the way they were visioned by oscar himself . i was quite happy with the movie and i did not have so many quams with the casting .
in my oppinion i have no problem with books being transformed into movies as long as the movie does the book justice and expelles the authors true views .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sarainadream
True Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: dorian gray the book by oscar wilde   Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:30 pm

I watched the Dante Inferno's movie (based on the game) and I had to completely separate myself from the real Divine Comedy because it completely misses the point and basically changes everything. I watched the movie as if I never read the poem and thought the fight scenes were entertaining enough. I guess with Dorian Gray I expected more-it was not advertised well and I don't know anyone else who has seen it but it did not TRY to be a good film, if you know what I mean. Take Pride and Predijuce, where you can tell there is some effort in being true to the book. This movie just seemed to take the general idea and run with it, and vamp up the sex. A movie does not have to be an EXACT copy of a book to be good (aka LOTR) but I think Dorian Gray missed the mark.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10449
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: dorian gray the book by oscar wilde   Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:20 am

I must ask, isn't dorian gray immortal and can't look at his own picture?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
allseeingeye
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: dorian gray the book by oscar wilde   Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:43 am

Brutal Unicorn wrote:
I must ask, isn't dorian gray immortal and can't look at his own picture?
dorian gray pinned his soul to the portrait and the picture ages and defects where as he himself stays as young and as good in health as the day it was painted.
but if someone was to destroy the picture his soul would become attatched to him once more leaving him the way he should be (as painted) its quite an amaizing piece of literature . even if you are not a fan of reading dont watch the movie grab an audio book first Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sarainadream
True Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: dorian gray the book by oscar wilde   Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:33 pm

its interesting as its not just the painting aging while the vanity obsessed dorian stays forever youthful, it is his sins that reflect themselves in the painting. the painting becomes a representation of his soul which is beyond corrupt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allseeingeye
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: dorian gray the book by oscar wilde   Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:43 pm

sarainadream wrote:
its interesting as its not just the painting aging while the vanity obsessed dorian stays forever youthful, it is his sins that reflect themselves in the painting. the painting becomes a representation of his soul which is beyond corrupt.
true i also love the symbolism for instance his first girlfriend sybil vane ( vanity) just shows how vanity is a huge part of human psyk and how vanity takes over once his soul is pinned to the painting
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lina
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 1724
Hedonistic Glory : 4455
Joined In : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: dorian gray the book by oscar wilde   Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:07 am

allseeingeye wrote:

do you like zombie movies horde is one kick ass zombie movie its made by a french guy Smile

The French makeing something good AND involving zombies? Surely you jest? Ahaha, of course I'm just kidding. C: I love zombie movies. B|

Anyway, on the topic, I haven't read the book (because my local library doesn't have it and I haven't tried beyond that honestly) but I'm pretty sure most people here have seen "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" regardless of the varied reviews for it lol. In any case, he was there and his story was touched on (somewhat). I'm personally excited about the new movie though. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://leunderground.proboards51.com/index.cgi?action=viewprofil
allseeingeye
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: dorian gray the book by oscar wilde   Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Lina wrote:
allseeingeye wrote:

The French makeing something good AND involving zombies? Surely you jest? Ahaha, of course I'm just kidding. C: I love zombie movies. B|

Anyway, on the topic, I haven't read the book (because my local library doesn't have it and I haven't tried beyond that honestly) but I'm pretty sure most people here have seen "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" regardless of the varied reviews for it lol. In any case, he was there and his story was touched on (somewhat). I'm personally excited about the new movie though. Smile

good to see a fellow dexter fan on here aswell Very Happy i just bought the box set of 1-5 and im just re watching the last 3-4 episodes of trinity i love it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lina
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 1724
Hedonistic Glory : 4455
Joined In : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: dorian gray the book by oscar wilde   Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:53 pm

Haha, I will own it all eventually. Broke at the moment. B| Ya gotta love a good serial killer though. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://leunderground.proboards51.com/index.cgi?action=viewprofil
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: dorian gray the book by oscar wilde   

Back to top Go down

dorian gray the book by oscar wilde
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1