Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Axe's Top 50 Songs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16107
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:00 am

This is a list of my top 50 songs of all time. I was originally going to make it my top 100 songs of all time, but I decided that it was hard enough already to pick 50 songs, because there are so many amazing songs from a multitude of genres. So, I just spent some time thinking and composed this list. But, like any “greatest list”, this list is not absolute. In fact, if you asked me next week to do it all over again you would likely see a few changes. But regardless of the validity of the list, they are all still some of my absolute favorite songs. I mean, they would have to be legendary songs to me for me to include them, so it should still accurately portray my musical tastes. Anyway, let's get started with the list. The songs are in no particular order, I don't think I could actually order them. That would be far too hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqZDJhnIxzc&feature=PlayList&p=67726600F536C16C&index=0&playnext=1

Ensiferum – Smoking Ruins

A folk metal masterpiece if I do say so myself. It tells a great story and still gives me chills when I hear it. There's just something about blending metal, mythology, and folk music that is amazing to me.

The Beatles – Yesterday
Not an incredibly complex song, but the lyrics really speak to me. I often miss how life used to be, and I think we all do. This song means so much because it makes me remember all of the great times I've had in life.

Journey – Don't Stop Believing
Journey's songwriting is hit or miss, but this song is truly legendary. It has a good message, sung through the incredible voice of Steve Perry.

Led Zeppelin – Stairway to Heaven
Almost everyone says this song is either one of the best songs or one of the most overrated songs. I think you all know where I stand. It's perfect to my ears.

The Doors – The End
It's very hard me to explain why I love this song, but I really do. It's very spiritual and still puts me in a trance when I listen to it.

King Crimson – Epitaph
King Crimson's debut album is one of the most amazing debuts in history, in my opinion. And this song is just completely perfect. It's very powerful for some reason, but relaxing at the same time.

Pagan's Mind – Taken

One of the best choruses in the history of music. And the solo is pure soul. It's very energetic and definitely metal, but it's beautiful at the same time. I love this song.

Boston – Rock & Roll Band

Such a fun song, and the guitar riff is badass. I also love the story told in the lyrics. Boston is one of the best groups in terms of songwriting.

Black Sabbath – Heaven and Hell
This has such a heavy riff, and contrasts between heavy, dark sections and beautiful sounding chorus sections. Picks up at the end, and just leaves you wanting more. If you don't like Black Sabbath with Dio, then you're missing out.

Megadeth – Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
One of Megadeth's masterworks. It's very memorable because of how dynamic and energetic it is.

Emperor – I Am the Black Wizards
The one of the absolute best tracks black metal has to offer. The riff is soooooo memorable, and the breakdown at the end is so beautiful.

Equilibrium – Blut Im Auge

One of the best folk metal bands out there, and quite possible their greatest track. The fantastic thing about this band is how they have the brutality of death metal, the vocals of black metal, and the composition/instrumentation of folk metal.

Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody

This will never fall out of my top 50 list because it is such a legendary song. It's one of the most dynamic songs ever recording, going through multiple compositional transformations. The lyrics are also fantastic, that will always help a song.

Behemoth – Hell Dwells in Ice
Back in Behemoth's black metal days, they released this dark ambient track on Sventevith. It's really quite something, at least to me. The chord progression is very simple but incredibly beautiful and relaxing.

Minus the Bear – Throwin' Shapes
This indie/alternative track is so good. Minus the Bear has quickly become one of my favorite alternative groups because their song structure is so unique. This song is just insanely chill.

Nightwish – The Poet And the Pendulum
Off of their most recent album with a new vocalist comes this fourteen minute masterpiece. It's just literally breathtaking, I can't explain it.

Death – Pull the Plug

Back when straight up death metal was in it's prime. This has to be my favorite track by Death, it's just so heavy...

Blind Guardian – Skalds and Shadows
Off of their most recent album comes this folk song, which has an incredibly awesome chord progression. Hansi's vocals match very well with this style of music, it's a fantastic song because it's not something you hear from Blind Guardian very often.

ColdWorld – Tortured By Solitude

Apparently ColdWorld doesn't have a lasting atmosphere, but it hasn't disappeared for me yet. And this was the first black metal band I got into.

Children of Bodom – Kissing the Shadows

Can you say monster solo? It literally takes up about half of the song. Guitars and Keys in a q&a solo style just automatically hits you as awesome.

Phoenix – Too Young

Alternative masterpiece. One of the chillest songs ever written.

Sonata Arctica – Fullmoon
Incredibly good, possibly the best from Sonata Arctica. Off of the legendary album “Ecliptica”.

Steve Vai – For the Love of God
This is one of the songs that can almost bring you to tears it's so beautiful. Some may not like Steve Vai, but he pours his soul into every note he plays.

Tyr – Ragnarok

Dynamic folk metal masterpiece. Clean vocals, progressive-style guitar playing, it just radiates awesome.

Lynyrd Skynyrd – Simple Man
I come from a middle class background, not poor but no rich. But I think I've learned in my life that this is the way to be, because money and possessions don't create happiness (for long, anyway). This song is 100% truth.

Insomnium – Resonance
Melodic death metal the majority of the time, except for this incredibly short acoustic track. I don't know what it is about this song, but I could listen to it loop all day.

Pink Floyd – Time
The annoying bells in the beginning don't ruin this awesome song, the chorus is absolutely beautiful.

Black Sabbath – Sweet Leaf

The original line-up and their best track, in my opinion. This song is quite heavy, especially for the time.

Draconian – Daylight Misery
While we're on heavy doom, here's Draconian. This song has such a sweet bassline, it's slow and very relaxing.

Windir – Journey to the End

Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End,

Bruce Springsteen – My City of Ruins
This song is quite beautiful, but depressing. Regardless, it has helped me through a tough time in my life so I guess that's the main reason I love it.

Blue Oyster Cult – I Love the Night

This song has also helped me through a tough time, so I'll save you the commentary.

Nightwish – The Islander
A delicious acoustic folk masterpiece. Marco has lead vocals, with Annette doing backup vocals. It's so awesome, but I'm a sucker for folk.

John Lennon – Imagine

God hippies made good music.

Emperor – The Loss and Curse of Reverence

Another amazing track from Emperor. My favorite part is the singing-style synth over the chorus sections.

Electric Light Orchestra – Sweet Talkin' Woman

Delicious orchestral pop-rock. What more can I say?

Traveling Wilburys – End of the Line

An awesome super group, composed of George Harrison, Jeff Lynne (ELO), Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, and Tom Petty. This song is just amazing, and the video is too. It was made right after Orbison died, so he isn't in the video. Instead, in his place, there is a rocking chair with a guitar in it.

Vargnatt – Nur ein Traum

Here's some ambient basement metal for you lol. I love this track because it's actually quite chill, there are sweet acoustic guitar riffs, as well as synthesized harp. It's very unique and quite amazing.

Foo Fighters – Everlong

Foo Fighters >>>>>>> Nirvana.

Johnny Cash – Hurt (NiN cover)
I hate Nine Inch Nails, but this song is quite good. Cash makes this song completely his own, and he pours his soul into it.

The Doors – Not the Touch the Earth
… not to see the sun. Nothing left to do but run run run, let's run.

Rush – Freewill
Progressive metal owes it's ass to Rush, just listen to this song. The guitar and bass riffs are completely badass.

Equilibrium – Nordheim
A very simple chord progression almost throughout, but a very atmospheric song. At least to me.

Creedence Clearwater Revival – Lookin' Out My Back Door
This song is also incredibly simple, but it's such a fun song. I can never avoid singing along to this.

Steve Vai – Boston Rain Melody
Vai completely captures the mood of rainfall with this track, it's so relaxed. It's almost like actually listening to a rainstorm. Throw in his signature style and soul inspired playing, and you have a legendary track.

The Eagles – In the City

It was in The Warriors. The Warriors is a badass movie.

Wintersun – Winter Madness
Death, Black, Folk, and Power Metal all mixed into one. This has a beast of a solo as well.

Eluveitie – Inis Mona
I cannot get this song out of my head. Whenever I listen to it, it just stays there. There's a hook every other note, I swear...

Crystalic – Severe Punishment
These guys aren't too popular, but I have no clue why. There's awesome prog elements, the fretless bass sounds amazing, and it has that awesome melo death vibe.

Suidakra – The Ember Deid (Part II)

Epic. That's about all I can say. It's a pure folk song, and it's just composed so masterfully.

Well, that's my list. I hope you guys enjoyed the short commentary. Also, I hope a few of you have listened to the playlist I set up. I'd love to hear which tracks you guys liked the most.

Last edited by Axeforhire on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:15 am

I dig alot of the stuff on your list brother .. Needs some punk tho ..
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:20 am

This list was so hard to make. Talking Heads, Blondie, The Ramones, and The Misfits all made the preliminaries but they didn't make the cut
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:22 am

A top 50 would be so hard to make . I may try to make one someday tho .
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10839
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:36 am

Nifty, I'll try to make one of my own in the near future
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:48 am

Other songs that I have either forgotten, or just barely failed to make the cut

Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A Changin
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Breaking the Girl
Blue Oyster Cult - Burning For You
The Ramones - California Sun (The Rivieras Cover)
Simon & Garfunkel - America
Duran Duran - Save a Prayer
Hall & Oates - Private Eyes
Metallica - Seek and Destroy
Tom Petty - Breakdown
Fleetwood Mac - Rhiannon

Last edited by Axeforhire on Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25404
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:29 pm

Surprising list indeed. I'm sure it was very hard to make. Enjoyed reading it

blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11810
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:55 pm

Very nice, I saw some of my favorites present as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:15 am

Yes, I am posting just so this goes to the top
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9843
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:27 am

Bookmarked. Will read/check out soon. Damn this board took off the couple days I was away...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:31 am

I think we're finally starting to recover
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:39 am

Obama used his stimulus package on this site

VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:41 am

Ahahahahahaha nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11442
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:06 pm

Great list of songs there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14985
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:22 pm

wow. i would never spend that much time making sth like that. kudos

and there is so much to comment, but i forgot it all already

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
Crispyman01
A Scholar

Number of posts : 241
Hedonistic Glory : 3084
Joined In : 2010-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:27 am

Wow. Very good list of songs. I'm surprised at how many of those i recognized. Great picks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:59 am

An incredibly beautiful song. I'm not sure I'd say it's the best folkish song I've ever heard...but it's a damn good one.

Crystalic - Severe Punishment
I remember hearing a song by Crystalic somewhere and it was really good. I actually listened to it like 10 times or something. I don't remember. They just make very melodic and excellent music. So my reaction to this song...I like it but I'm not sure I caught what made it top 50. The chorus is very good but nothing to make it stand out above all the other tracks out there.
Maybe it's just me but I love this song by Crystalic...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htSO9FdVufQ
If it was me I would have done a Cynic song (and if I'm doing my own top 50 expect a Cynic song...of course).

Eluveitie – Inis Mona
I don't know why but I can't get into this band too much. I like Equilibrium and Ensiferum better. This song is pretty cool but just not catching my interest.

Not my favorite Wintersun song but just about all of them are great, and this one is no different. And yeah the solo does really make this song shine. Somehow it just fits the atmosphere so well and is at the same time so enjoyable in and of itself.

The Eagles – In the City
I have a feeling I'd need some kind of relationship with this song to appreciate it. Need to get away from the damn city.

Sorry it's been a while...but there are 5 comments. I'll try to do more later. Cool list Axe. I'm actually thinking I might do one too some time. Actually I just started and it's going to be like on the absurd end of enthusiasm. I can just tell. Oh my God it's going to be a long post full of caps locks, cursing, religious experiences, seizures, violent outbursts and convulsions, general chaos. Well I won't describe it here.

I recognize a lot of the songs in your list and I see a lot that I really like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:01 pm

i might be able to bang out 25....

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:02 pm

You should order them

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:16 pm

i think i can do 50 once i finish the library challenge. im slowly rating the really good songs as i go.
my one problem would be picking like only one song from an album, cuse i fall in love with albums....the songs are part of the album

any hints?
oh, on The Chosen Pessimist - In Flames
so i have a ways to go...

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:39 pm

Am I the only one to finish the challenge?

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:43 pm

you have 2000 songs and have the ability to complete the challenge on your computer.
some of us arnt so lucky.
i have to remember to start playing
Watchtower - Cimmerian Shadows
only 4800 left...

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:15 pm

VacuousReality wrote:
An incredibly beautiful song. I'm not sure I'd say it's the best folkish song I've ever heard...but it's a damn good one.

Crystalic - Severe Punishment
I remember hearing a song by Crystalic somewhere and it was really good. I actually listened to it like 10 times or something. I don't remember. They just make very melodic and excellent music. So my reaction to this song...I like it but I'm not sure I caught what made it top 50. The chorus is very good but nothing to make it stand out above all the other tracks out there.
Maybe it's just me but I love this song by Crystalic...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htSO9FdVufQ
If it was me I would have done a Cynic song (and if I'm doing my own top 50 expect a Cynic song...of course).

Eluveitie – Inis Mona
I don't know why but I can't get into this band too much. I like Equilibrium and Ensiferum better. This song is pretty cool but just not catching my interest.

Not my favorite Wintersun song but just about all of them are great, and this one is no different. And yeah the solo does really make this song shine. Somehow it just fits the atmosphere so well and is at the same time so enjoyable in and of itself.

The Eagles – In the City
I have a feeling I'd need some kind of relationship with this song to appreciate it. Need to get away from the damn city.

Sorry it's been a while...but there are 5 comments. I'll try to do more later. Cool list Axe. I'm actually thinking I might do one too some time. Actually I just started and it's going to be like on the absurd end of enthusiasm. I can just tell. Oh my God it's going to be a long post full of caps locks, cursing, religious experiences, seizures, violent outbursts and convulsions, general chaos. Well I won't describe it here.

I recognize a lot of the songs in your list and I see a lot that I really like.

thanks for listening and commenting, I look forward to your next comments. As for the Crystalic song, Faith Redefined was the other song by them that I was debating between. They are both excellent, and I'm positive that if it had been a different day I might have made a different decision
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:48 am

"Windir – Journey to the End
Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End,"

Couldn't have said it better!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:30 pm

VacuousReality wrote:
"Windir – Journey to the End
Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End, Journey to the End,"

Couldn't have said it better!!!

Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:31 pm

LOL!!! +REP! Just brilliant blackstar. Good thinking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:34 pm

I had to it's a mission.
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:24 pm

kur would be pround

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:37 am

Indeed he would.
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:37 am

but whos trying to make that sad sack proud. not i

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:40 am

I was just doing it as a good rancid joke.
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:43 am

then kudos to you and rancid. hahaha

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Axe's Top 50 Songs   Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:14 pm

I also forgot Queen - These Are The Days of Our Lives
Back to top Go down
View user profile