Tip of the Hat


 
HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Health Care Bill Passes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
avatar

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10782
Reputation : 139
Joined In : 2009-11-24
Age : 26
Location : Riffsland

PostSubject: Health Care Bill Passes   Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:29 pm

Washington (CNN) -- President Obama won a historic victory in the struggle for health care reform Sunday as the House of Representatives passed a sweeping bill overhauling the American medical system.

The bill passed in a 219-212 vote after more than a year of bitter partisan debate. All 178 Republicans opposed it, along with 34 Democrats.

The measure, which cleared the Senate in December, will now go to Obama's desk to be signed into law. It constitutes the biggest expansion of federal health care guarantees since the enactment of Medicare and Medicaid more than four decades ago.

A separate compromise package of changes expanding the reach of the measure also passed the House over unanimous GOP opposition, and is now set to be taken up by the Senate.

The overall $940 billion plan is projected to extend insurance coverage to roughly 32 million additional Americans. It represents a significant step towards the goal of universal coverage sought by every Democratic president since Harry Truman.

Most Americans will now be required to have health insurance or pay a fine. Larger employers will be required to provide coverage or risk financial penalties. Total individual out-of-pocket expenses will be capped, and insurers will be barred from denying coverage based on gender or pre-existing conditions.

iReport: Share your views on health care reform

The compromise package would add to the bill's total cost partly by expanding insurance subsidies for middle- and lower-income families. The measure would scale back the bill's taxes on expensive insurance plans.
Video: Obama: This is change
Video: Health care bill passes
Video: 'Great act of patriotism'
Video: Health reform: Not all at once
RELATED TOPICS

* Health Care Reform
* Health Care Policy
* U.S. House of Representatives
* Barack Obama

Numerous House members insisted they would not back the Senate bill without a clear promise that senators would approve the changes.

The rare Sunday vote occurred after a long weekend of intense negotiations between the White House, House leaders and individual congressmen. Obama traveled to Capitol Hill Saturday to make a last-minute plea to the entire House Democratic caucus. He spent much of the last week trying to personally convince dozens of members.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, worked with administration officials to defuse a potentially fatal rebellion among socially conservative Democrats concerned that the bill won't do enough to prevent taxpayer-funded abortions.

She also brokered a last-minute deal among several Democrats worried about disparities in Medicare funding for individual states.

Republicans failed to stop the Democratic health care initiative despite utilizing almost every weapon in their legislative arsenal. GOP leaders repeatedly have warned the plan will lead to a government takeover of America's private employer-based health care system.

They have also argued it will lead to higher premiums and taxes while imposing harsh Medicare cuts and doing little to control spiraling medical costs.

Pelosi and Boehner make final comments

Shortly before the House voted on the bill, Pelosi said health care reform was necessary to end insurance industry abuses and bring greater economic stability to most Americans.

Congress will be "making history, making progress and restoring the American dream" by passing reform, she said.

It it time to "complete the great unfinished business of our society." Health care "is a right and not a privilege," she said.

House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, argued that Democratic leaders had betrayed the trust of the public by pushing ahead with a bill that lacks broad public support.

"We have failed to listen to America and we have failed to reflect the will of our constituents," he said. "And when we fail to reflect that will, we fail ourselves and we fail our country."

He also slammed what he characterized as a legislative process marked by a lack of transparency and accountability.

"Look at how this bill was written," he said, his voice steadily rising. "Can you say it was done openly? With transparency and accountability? Without back room deals that were struck behind closed doors? ... Hell no you can't!"

The $875 billion bill now headed to Obama's desk is projected to cut the federal deficit by $118 billion over the next 10 years, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.

If the compromise plan clears the Senate, the bill's total cost will rise by $65 billion. Projected deficits, however, will be reduced by another $25 billion.

Key details of the bill

The plan, according to CBO projections, will cut budget deficits by over $1 trillion in its second decade.

It will subsidize insurance for a family of four making up to roughly $88,000 annually, or 400 percent of the federal poverty level.

It also creates a series of health insurance exchanges designed to make it easier for small businesses, the self-employed and the unemployed to pool resources and purchase less expensive coverage.

Medicaid will be significantly expanded, ensuring coverage to those earning up to 133 percent of the poverty level, or just over $29,000 for a family of four.

The bill cuts projected Medicare spending by roughly $500 billion, in part through reductions in the Medicare Advantage program. Democratic leaders have promised the reductions will not affect service to Medicare recipients.

The bill hikes Medicare payroll takes on families making more than $250,000. Starting in 2013, it also imposes a 40 percent tax on insurance companies providing expensive "Cadillac" health plans valued at more than $8,500 for individuals and $23,000 for families.

Proponents of the tax on high-end plans argue it's one of the most effective ways to curb medical inflation. However, many Democrats oppose taxing such policies because it would hurt union members who traded higher salaries for more generous health benefits.

If the compromise bill becomes law, the threshold for imposing the Cadillac tax will be raised to health plans valued at over $10,200 for individuals and $27,500 for families. The tax won't kick in until 2018.

Buy insurance or pay a fine

Under the plan now headed to Obama, individuals are required to purchase health insurance coverage or face a fine of up to $750 or 2 percent of their income -- whichever is greater. It includes a hardship exemption for poorer Americans.

Companies with more than 50 employees that don't provide coverage are required to pay a fee of $750 per worker if any of its employees rely on government subsidies to purchase coverage.

The compromise package would drop the individual fine to $695 or 2.5 percent of income, whichever is greater. The fine on companies failing to provide coverage would jump to $2,000 per employee.

Federally funded abortion coverage for people purchasing insurance through the exchanges will be banned under the bill now passed by Congress. Exceptions will be made in cases of rape, incest, or danger to the life of the mother.

Individuals receiving federal assistance who want abortion coverage will have to purchase the coverage using private funds.

Illegal immigrants will be barred from buying insurance in the health insurance exchanges.

Parents, however, will be entitled to keep their children on their health care plans until age 26.

While passage of the Senate bill is a major win for Democrats on a major party priority, Pelosi had to take a number of steps in recent weeks to assuage House members unhappy with the measure.

A deeply unpopular special exemption for Nebraska from all new Medicaid expenses -- known as the "Cornhusker Kickback" -- would be eliminated under the compromise plan. The federal government will instead assist every state by picking up 100 percent of the costs of expanded Medicaid coverage between 2014 and 2016, and 90 percent starting in 2020.

The speaker also tried to sweeten the deal for some progressive members of her caucus partly by adding additional subsidies and a major student loan reform measure to the compromise plan.

The reform measure -- a priority for Obama -- would end the practice of having private banks offer student loans and would expand direct lending from the government.

Closing the "doughnut hole"

In addition, the compromise plan closes the Medicare prescription drug "doughnut hole" by 2020. Under current law, Medicare stops covering drug costs after a plan and beneficiary have spent more than $2,830 on prescription drugs. It starts paying again after an individual's out-of-pocket expenses exceed $4,550.

Senior citizens stuck in the doughnut hole this year would receive a $250 rebate.

A key group of anti-abortion rights Democrats was reassured by a last-minute promise of an executive order from Obama stating that the provisions in the health care bill comply with the 32-year-old Hyde Amendment, which sharply restricts federal funding for abortion.

Several fiscally conservative Democrats, meanwhile, were assuaged by the CBO's estimate of the bill's long-term impact on the federal deficit.

The speaker considered trying to help unhappy House Democrats by allowing them to avoid a direct vote on the Senate bill. Numerous congressmen had advocated passing a rule that would have deemed the Senate bill approved once the separate package of changes had passed.

GOP leaders objected furiously to the so-called "deem and pass" maneuver. House leaders backed away from the idea on Saturday.

Republicans are still fuming over Democrats' decision to use a legislative maneuver called reconciliation, which will allow the compromise measures to clear the Senate with a simple majority of 51 votes.

Senate Democrats lost their filibuster-proof 60-seat supermajority in January with the election of GOP Sen. Scott Brown of Massachusetts.

Republicans contend that reconciliation, which is limited to provisions pertaining to the budget, was never meant to facilitate passage of a sweeping reform measure such as the health care bill. Democrats point out that reconciliation was used to pass several major bills in recent years, including George W. Bush's 2001 and 2003 tax cuts.

House Democrats have been continually reassured that the compromise package will be approved by the more conservative Senate. Pelosi said Friday that "when our members go to vote, they will have all the assurances they need" that the Senate will approve the compromise plan.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, attended the Saturday meeting between Obama and House Democrats. He presented a letter indicating that the Senate would use reconciliation to pass the House's changes.

"We believe that health insurance reform cannot wait and must not be obstructed," the letter said. "We support an up-or-down majority vote and will vote to make these improvements."

The letter was not signed, though Reid told the House members a majority of the Senate now backs reconciliation.


y helo thar helth insurunz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
avatar

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16050
Reputation : 229
Joined In : 2009-01-21
Age : 25
Location : Fort Wayne, IN

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:52 pm

Now my family waits to get evicted...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
avatar

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10782
Reputation : 139
Joined In : 2009-11-24
Age : 26
Location : Riffsland

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:59 pm

Axeforhire wrote:
Now my family waits to get evicted...

Do you just believe everything that fox news tells you? This a good thing and will end up helping you unless you're really rich and can afford a super premium health care plan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
who?
A Scholar
avatar

Number of posts : 328
Hedonistic Glory : 3320
Reputation : 7
Joined In : 2009-08-23
Age : 33
Location : New Orleans, LA

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:36 pm

Now we are all FUCKED.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://504nola.blogspot.com
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
avatar

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16050
Reputation : 229
Joined In : 2009-01-21
Age : 25
Location : Fort Wayne, IN

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 pm

No, my mom is just a nurse and she will likely take yet another pay cut. She's stretched thin as it is.

Plus I disagree with the bill because they didn't do it right at all, they should have just reformed medicare/medicaid. Oh, and this bill is unconstitutional there will be a lawsuit
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
avatar

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10782
Reputation : 139
Joined In : 2009-11-24
Age : 26
Location : Riffsland

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:09 pm

Axeforhire wrote:
No, my mom is just a nurse and she will likely take yet another pay cut. She's stretched thin as it is.

Plus I disagree with the bill because they didn't do it right at all, they should have just reformed medicare/medicaid. Oh, and this bill is unconstitutional there will be a lawsuit

You're just assuming they will. Those weren't good enough. How is it unconstitutional?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
avatar

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16050
Reputation : 229
Joined In : 2009-01-21
Age : 25
Location : Fort Wayne, IN

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:00 am

Taxer666 wrote:
Axeforhire wrote:
No, my mom is just a nurse and she will likely take yet another pay cut. She's stretched thin as it is.

Plus I disagree with the bill because they didn't do it right at all, they should have just reformed medicare/medicaid. Oh, and this bill is unconstitutional there will be a lawsuit

You're just assuming they will. Those weren't good enough. How is it unconstitutional?

Nowhere in the constitution does it say the federal government can control healthcare. The federal powers must be expressed, in writing, in the constitution to be valid. That is the reason the states have so many powers - they have the powers that aren't written in the constitution for the federal government.

We will most likely see a lawsuit regarding this bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
avatar

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10782
Reputation : 139
Joined In : 2009-11-24
Age : 26
Location : Riffsland

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:13 am

Axeforhire wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:
Axeforhire wrote:
No, my mom is just a nurse and she will likely take yet another pay cut. She's stretched thin as it is.

Plus I disagree with the bill because they didn't do it right at all, they should have just reformed medicare/medicaid. Oh, and this bill is unconstitutional there will be a lawsuit

You're just assuming they will. Those weren't good enough. How is it unconstitutional?

Nowhere in the constitution does it say the federal government can control healthcare. The federal powers must be expressed, in writing, in the constitution to be valid. That is the reason the states have so many powers - they have the powers that aren't written in the constitution for the federal government.

We will most likely see a lawsuit regarding this bill

Maybe, but I still don't see any more harm in this bill than our privatized health system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
avatar

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16050
Reputation : 229
Joined In : 2009-01-21
Age : 25
Location : Fort Wayne, IN

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:16 am

Well our current healthcare system is fine, we just need to revamp medicare/medicaid. There's no point in regulating healthcare, just help those who need it. It's really that simple, yet the government wants to spend billions of tax dollars on a plan that is unnecessary. Our national debt will skyrocket in almost no time at all. It would have been so much easier to just fix the policies we have, rather than scrap it and get a new one. And then if and when this one doesn't work, we'll have to do it again and again
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
avatar

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10782
Reputation : 139
Joined In : 2009-11-24
Age : 26
Location : Riffsland

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:29 am

Axeforhire wrote:
Well our current healthcare system is fine, we just need to revamp medicare/medicaid. There's no point in regulating healthcare, just help those who need it. It's really that simple, yet the government wants to spend billions of tax dollars on a plan that is unnecessary. Our national debt will skyrocket in almost no time at all. It would have been so much easier to just fix the policies we have, rather than scrap it and get a new one. And then if and when this one doesn't work, we'll have to do it again and again

The current system is total shit dude. If it were "fine", it'd be able to help everyone regardless of whatever bullshit policies they have. Millions of people go untreated a year because they can't afford health insurance, or because their insurance policy won't cover enough, or just because their insurance company flat out decides that it would be "fiscally unreasonable" for them to get treatment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
avatar

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16050
Reputation : 229
Joined In : 2009-01-21
Age : 25
Location : Fort Wayne, IN

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:39 am

Taxer666 wrote:
Axeforhire wrote:
Well our current healthcare system is fine, we just need to revamp medicare/medicaid. There's no point in regulating healthcare, just help those who need it. It's really that simple, yet the government wants to spend billions of tax dollars on a plan that is unnecessary. Our national debt will skyrocket in almost no time at all. It would have been so much easier to just fix the policies we have, rather than scrap it and get a new one. And then if and when this one doesn't work, we'll have to do it again and again

The current system is total shit dude. If it were "fine", it'd be able to help everyone regardless of whatever bullshit policies they have. Millions of people go untreated a year because they can't afford health insurance, or because their insurance policy won't cover enough, or just because their insurance company flat out decides that it would be "fiscally unreasonable" for them to get treatment.

Again, a problem with medicare and medicaid, not the privatized health insurance system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
avatar

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10782
Reputation : 139
Joined In : 2009-11-24
Age : 26
Location : Riffsland

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:46 am

Axeforhire wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:
Axeforhire wrote:
Well our current healthcare system is fine, we just need to revamp medicare/medicaid. There's no point in regulating healthcare, just help those who need it. It's really that simple, yet the government wants to spend billions of tax dollars on a plan that is unnecessary. Our national debt will skyrocket in almost no time at all. It would have been so much easier to just fix the policies we have, rather than scrap it and get a new one. And then if and when this one doesn't work, we'll have to do it again and again

The current system is total shit dude. If it were "fine", it'd be able to help everyone regardless of whatever bullshit policies they have. Millions of people go untreated a year because they can't afford health insurance, or because their insurance policy won't cover enough, or just because their insurance company flat out decides that it would be "fiscally unreasonable" for them to get treatment.

Again, a problem with medicare and medicaid, not the privatized health insurance system.

No, it's all privatized shit. You know why Chuck died? Because his health insurance company said that his cancer was a pre-existing condition and denied him coverage. Glad you're happy with a system based on making a profit at the cost of the lives of your fellow man.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
avatar

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16050
Reputation : 229
Joined In : 2009-01-21
Age : 25
Location : Fort Wayne, IN

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:57 am

Taxer666 wrote:
Axeforhire wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:
Axeforhire wrote:
Well our current healthcare system is fine, we just need to revamp medicare/medicaid. There's no point in regulating healthcare, just help those who need it. It's really that simple, yet the government wants to spend billions of tax dollars on a plan that is unnecessary. Our national debt will skyrocket in almost no time at all. It would have been so much easier to just fix the policies we have, rather than scrap it and get a new one. And then if and when this one doesn't work, we'll have to do it again and again

The current system is total shit dude. If it were "fine", it'd be able to help everyone regardless of whatever bullshit policies they have. Millions of people go untreated a year because they can't afford health insurance, or because their insurance policy won't cover enough, or just because their insurance company flat out decides that it would be "fiscally unreasonable" for them to get treatment.

Again, a problem with medicare and medicaid, not the privatized health insurance system.

No, it's all privatized shit. You know why Chuck died? Because his health insurance company said that his cancer was a pre-existing condition and denied him coverage. Glad you're happy with a system based on making a profit at the cost of the lives of your fellow man.

I'm not denying that this world's fucked up, but shit you can't just control what people do. It's like that with anything, not just healthcare. Plus, a government controlled healthcare system would deny him treatment as well! I guess you haven't heard of all of the people denyed treatment for cancer and other severe problems in nations where socialized medicine is in place.

http://purelypolitical.newsvine.com/_news/2008/08/01/1712080-oregon-woman-denied-cancer-treatment-by-government-offered-suicide-instead

Hmmm makes you wonder, doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
avatar

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10782
Reputation : 139
Joined In : 2009-11-24
Age : 26
Location : Riffsland

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:29 am

Axeforhire wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:
Axeforhire wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:
Axeforhire wrote:
Well our current healthcare system is fine, we just need to revamp medicare/medicaid. There's no point in regulating healthcare, just help those who need it. It's really that simple, yet the government wants to spend billions of tax dollars on a plan that is unnecessary. Our national debt will skyrocket in almost no time at all. It would have been so much easier to just fix the policies we have, rather than scrap it and get a new one. And then if and when this one doesn't work, we'll have to do it again and again

The current system is total shit dude. If it were "fine", it'd be able to help everyone regardless of whatever bullshit policies they have. Millions of people go untreated a year because they can't afford health insurance, or because their insurance policy won't cover enough, or just because their insurance company flat out decides that it would be "fiscally unreasonable" for them to get treatment.

Again, a problem with medicare and medicaid, not the privatized health insurance system.

No, it's all privatized shit. You know why Chuck died? Because his health insurance company said that his cancer was a pre-existing condition and denied him coverage. Glad you're happy with a system based on making a profit at the cost of the lives of your fellow man.

I'm not denying that this world's fucked up, but shit you can't just control what people do. It's like that with anything, not just healthcare. Plus, a government controlled healthcare system would deny him treatment as well! I guess you haven't heard of all of the people denyed treatment for cancer and other severe problems in nations where socialized medicine is in place.

http://purelypolitical.newsvine.com/_news/2008/08/01/1712080-oregon-woman-denied-cancer-treatment-by-government-offered-suicide-instead

Hmmm makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Giving people an opportunity =/= controlling them. Much like private healthcare, these people were denied for fiscal reasons. Plus that link was so blindingly biased that it was almost funny.

But the free market can. And there lies the solution.

🤣
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
avatar

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16050
Reputation : 229
Joined In : 2009-01-21
Age : 25
Location : Fort Wayne, IN

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:39 am

Axeforhire wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:
Axeforhire wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:
Axeforhire wrote:
Well our current healthcare system is fine, we just need to revamp medicare/medicaid. There's no point in regulating healthcare, just help those who need it. It's really that simple, yet the government wants to spend billions of tax dollars on a plan that is unnecessary. Our national debt will skyrocket in almost no time at all. It would have been so much easier to just fix the policies we have, rather than scrap it and get a new one. And then if and when this one doesn't work, we'll have to do it again and again

The current system is total shit dude. If it were "fine", it'd be able to help everyone regardless of whatever bullshit policies they have. Millions of people go untreated a year because they can't afford health insurance, or because their insurance policy won't cover enough, or just because their insurance company flat out decides that it would be "fiscally unreasonable" for them to get treatment.

Again, a problem with medicare and medicaid, not the privatized health insurance system.

No, it's all privatized shit. You know why Chuck died? Because his health insurance company said that his cancer was a pre-existing condition and denied him coverage. Glad you're happy with a system based on making a profit at the cost of the lives of your fellow man.

I'm not denying that this world's fucked up, but shit you can't just control what people do. It's like that with anything, not just healthcare. Plus, a government controlled healthcare system would deny him treatment as well! I guess you haven't heard of all of the people denyed treatment for cancer and other severe problems in nations where socialized medicine is in place.

http://purelypolitical.newsvine.com/_news/2008/08/01/1712080-oregon-woman-denied-cancer-treatment-by-government-offered-suicide-instead

Hmmm makes you wonder, doesn't it?

True story though. But the thing about the government's plan is they want to make it so if you don't have insurance you MUST get their policy. You can only have a different policy if you have one now. And their mediocre healthcare isn't something I would want if I could pay for something else
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
avatar

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10782
Reputation : 139
Joined In : 2009-11-24
Age : 26
Location : Riffsland

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:44 am

Axeforhire wrote:
Axeforhire wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:
Axeforhire wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:
Axeforhire wrote:
Well our current healthcare system is fine, we just need to revamp medicare/medicaid. There's no point in regulating healthcare, just help those who need it. It's really that simple, yet the government wants to spend billions of tax dollars on a plan that is unnecessary. Our national debt will skyrocket in almost no time at all. It would have been so much easier to just fix the policies we have, rather than scrap it and get a new one. And then if and when this one doesn't work, we'll have to do it again and again

The current system is total shit dude. If it were "fine", it'd be able to help everyone regardless of whatever bullshit policies they have. Millions of people go untreated a year because they can't afford health insurance, or because their insurance policy won't cover enough, or just because their insurance company flat out decides that it would be "fiscally unreasonable" for them to get treatment.

Again, a problem with medicare and medicaid, not the privatized health insurance system.

No, it's all privatized shit. You know why Chuck died? Because his health insurance company said that his cancer was a pre-existing condition and denied him coverage. Glad you're happy with a system based on making a profit at the cost of the lives of your fellow man.

I'm not denying that this world's fucked up, but shit you can't just control what people do. It's like that with anything, not just healthcare. Plus, a government controlled healthcare system would deny him treatment as well! I guess you haven't heard of all of the people denyed treatment for cancer and other severe problems in nations where socialized medicine is in place.

http://purelypolitical.newsvine.com/_news/2008/08/01/1712080-oregon-woman-denied-cancer-treatment-by-government-offered-suicide-instead

Hmmm makes you wonder, doesn't it?

True story though. But the thing about the government's plan is they want to make it so if you don't have insurance you MUST get their policy. You can only have a different policy if you have one now. And their mediocre healthcare isn't something I would want if I could pay for something else

You can still get something else though. Plus something > nothing. My family has been without health insurance for about 2-3 years now and this is a huge sigh of relief because we'll actually be able to go to the damn doctor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
avatar

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16050
Reputation : 229
Joined In : 2009-01-21
Age : 25
Location : Fort Wayne, IN

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am

Why don't you guys get medicaid? That's what my brother has for his daughter.

I agree, it's better than nothing, I think that there's a much better way they could go about this. We'll see how this plays out, I just hope my mom doesn't find herself out of a job or something because of this. She is really worried about it, and that's all the information I need because she is an educated woman
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith
avatar

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10782
Reputation : 139
Joined In : 2009-11-24
Age : 26
Location : Riffsland

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:56 am

Axeforhire wrote:
Why don't you guys get medicaid? That's what my brother has for his daughter.

I agree, it's better than nothing, I think that there's a much better way they could go about this. We'll see how this plays out, I just hope my mom doesn't find herself out of a job or something because of this. She is really worried about it, and that's all the information I need because she is an educated woman

Not everyone who is poor qualifies
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar
avatar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5511
Reputation : 43
Joined In : 2009-03-11
Age : 30
Location : Chicago, Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:05 am

Axe, I'm sorry dude, I like you and all, but honestly, you're shooting in the dark here man.

All you've done in here is repeated a bunch of FOX news talking points, all of which are either simply exaggerated or complete bullshit
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite
avatar

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11753
Reputation : 84
Joined In : 2009-03-10
Age : 26
Location : United States

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:22 am

I vote in the wait and see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
avatar

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16050
Reputation : 229
Joined In : 2009-01-21
Age : 25
Location : Fort Wayne, IN

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:37 pm

PortraitOfSanity wrote:
Axe, I'm sorry dude, I like you and all, but honestly, you're shooting in the dark here man.

All you've done in here is repeated a bunch of FOX news talking points, all of which are either simply exaggerated or complete bullshit

I understand how everyone feels about this, and I don't watch fox news so that is kinda funny. But I'll just wait and see what happens, I just hope it isn't as bad as some people make it out to be
Back to top Go down
View user profile
who?
A Scholar
avatar

Number of posts : 328
Hedonistic Glory : 3320
Reputation : 7
Joined In : 2009-08-23
Age : 33
Location : New Orleans, LA

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:11 pm

Here's our answer to Obamacare getyousome
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://504nola.blogspot.com
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar
avatar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5511
Reputation : 43
Joined In : 2009-03-11
Age : 30
Location : Chicago, Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:53 pm

Well I mean, I'm disappointed because I was hoping for universal health care, but this is a step in the right direction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crispyman01
A Scholar
avatar

Number of posts : 241
Hedonistic Glory : 3027
Reputation : 3
Joined In : 2010-03-21
Age : 26
Location : Goshen, Indiana

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:57 pm

Okay axe has some very good points and most of them are common sense. i'm pretty upset at this bill passing, not just because i'm some hill-rat from indiana, but because i care about the general well-being of the american public. take some time to read through the actual health care reform bill that was passed. you'll be shocked at some of the stupid shit that it includes.

http://docs.house.gov/edlabor/AAHCA-BillText-071409.pdf

Not anywhere in the constitution did it say our federal government has the power to do things like this. State governments could individually get away with some form of this but nationally, while a good intention, its just not something they should play a role in. Its like H&R block being hired to do your taxes and now saying they're going to fix your car. Nice sentiment, but leave this one for the professionals. The government should not interfere here.

But i'm sure my points will be labled as extremist or right winged. which... they're not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent
avatar

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14928
Reputation : 107
Joined In : 2008-10-13
Age : 29
Location : Somewhere back in time....

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:22 am

mmmm 1000 pages. i need a good book before bed

i prefer short, sweet, to the point, and unbiased (not claiming yours isnt....but short it aint)
http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2010/mar/19/top-5-lies-about-health-care/

_________________
Dark94Flame wrote:
Blink 182?
Byd, this is how it starts, you know. One day it's "I like Blink 182", the next it's "I think I like men".
Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:47 am

I think its shit . AXE im on your side and i dont watch fox new eather ..
Back to top Go down
who?
A Scholar
avatar

Number of posts : 328
Hedonistic Glory : 3320
Reputation : 7
Joined In : 2009-08-23
Age : 33
Location : New Orleans, LA

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:02 pm

Fuck Fox news.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://504nola.blogspot.com
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent
avatar

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14928
Reputation : 107
Joined In : 2008-10-13
Age : 29
Location : Somewhere back in time....

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:29 am

finally. an enlightened person

_________________
Dark94Flame wrote:
Blink 182?
Byd, this is how it starts, you know. One day it's "I like Blink 182", the next it's "I think I like men".
Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
sarainadream
True Gentleman
avatar

Number of posts : 784
Hedonistic Glory : 3770
Reputation : 19
Joined In : 2009-10-08
Age : 29
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:30 pm

I'm glad I live in Canada. Our health care system is pretty awesome.

I don't know a whole lot about American health care but I watched Sicko and it seems like alot of people are screwed out of getting attention, or if they do, they get in huge debt.

It WAS a Moore film and was obviously biased but still.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar
avatar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5511
Reputation : 43
Joined In : 2009-03-11
Age : 30
Location : Chicago, Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:31 pm

Yea, I have double citizenship, so if I ever got really sick I could go North and get treated for free.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
avatar

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16050
Reputation : 229
Joined In : 2009-01-21
Age : 25
Location : Fort Wayne, IN

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:26 pm

Fox News = Crappy
CNN = Crappy
BBC = Good

I don't usually watch the news anymore, that's what the internet is for. I prefer unbiased sources so I can formulate my own opinion
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar
avatar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5511
Reputation : 43
Joined In : 2009-03-11
Age : 30
Location : Chicago, Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:30 pm

I watch the BBC for actual news, and MSNBC for political news.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar
avatar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486628
Reputation : 61
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:29 pm

BBC is the best IMO

Fox or CNN are probably the worst.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat
avatar

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10449
Reputation : 94
Joined In : 2008-09-05
Age : 24
Location : Kansas!

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:01 pm

Master Cthulhu wrote:
BBC is the best IMO

Fox or CNN are probably the worst.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent
avatar

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14928
Reputation : 107
Joined In : 2008-10-13
Age : 29
Location : Somewhere back in time....

PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:53 pm

i dont know if this is true or not, but my very political friend claimed that there was a major article and lawsuit that fox won that claimed they didnt have to report the truth since they are an opinion based station or something like that
sounds like an Onion article....all real

_________________
Dark94Flame wrote:
Blink 182?
Byd, this is how it starts, you know. One day it's "I like Blink 182", the next it's "I think I like men".
Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Health Care Bill Passes   

Back to top Go down
 
Health Care Bill Passes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Monthly Health Premiums
» Dental and Health Care Plan Websites
» Easy Care Horse Rescue Centre
» Bill C-55
» New Health Related Travel Claim Information

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tip of the Hat :: Preposterous Palaver and Infinite Jest-
Jump to: