Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Worst job you've ever had?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25348
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Worst job you've ever had?   Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:09 pm

Please tell me stories

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14929
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:17 pm

i shall regale thee about my 4 jobs later tonight, after i have a couple in me. loool

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
ExtremeOverload
I CAME!

Number of posts : 972
Hedonistic Glory : 4004
Joined In : 2009-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:24 pm

I was seriously about to make this thread.

My job at a metal stamping plant. Basically landscaping but withing the confines of a overly big room. Lots of work, little pay. That and one of the guys constantly talked about animal bestiality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11386
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:31 pm

At least you guys have had jobs... Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:36 pm

ehhh, 15....dont hold your breath. my first job i was 17 and a half

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:41 pm

I'm in DESPERATE need of money though. It's really tough getting a job just now at this age. Most places won't take anyone under 16.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExtremeOverload
I CAME!

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:18 am

My bro feels you're pain. Also a 15 year old. Applied at the Timmies down the road 10 times now. Won't hire him cuz they say the coffee machine is considered machinery and u need to be at least 16 to operated machinery legally in a work place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16051
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:42 am

I can't find a job : (

I did manual labor for a guy renovating an old apartment downtown once. The labor consisted of taking old drywall down two long flights of stairs and dumping it in a basement (which looked like a bomb shelter). It wasn't easy work, that day I worked about 8 hours and probably went up and down the stairs 100 times. My legs hurt for about a week after that. Also, the apartment's floor was being redone so about half of it was straight up rafters and the ceiling of the stores underneath (it's one of those inner city buildings with stores on bottom and apartments on top. The basement was the basement of one of the stores). When I got done with work I had to go to the back of this hallway, which was half floor and half rafters and turn off the fuse for the lights, and on my way back when I tried to cross back over the the floor section I fell through the hole, but luckily I caught myself on the rafters with my arms. That day sucked. I worked a few times after that, the guy only needed a younger person to do some of the heavy lifting cleaning up and preparing the apartment for renovation.

The other "job" I had was another under the table job. A trailer factory that my grandfather did electrical work for was moving to a new building, and they were preparing it for operation. My job was to go up on this lift thingy, all the way to the roof, and paint the metal supports for the roof. I'm not sure why they needed painting, but it was my job. After that I had to paint a few things on the ground, and it was actually pretty tiring being on your feet for that long.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sarainadream
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 784
Hedonistic Glory : 3771
Joined In : 2009-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:04 am

All of them. Other then my current one.

Banquet Hall: I was not a waitress, so I did not have to memorize the menu but I did everything else and you do not get tips. I was not 18 so I could not even serve wine and I had to tell people that that asked me. I worked weddings, special lunches, Mother's Day stuff, etc. The upside was we got to eat leftovers, the downside was they were quickly gone. Anyways, I have weak arms and had to carry these HUGE trays with tons of dishes full of food a certain way and manuever around tables with no space and no one moved of course. So you try not to trip and as you serve the plates they are burning hot and you cannot give a dish to someone to hand to a person you cannot reach...not proper etiquette. You had to set all the tables all perfect and wedding ones were so lame. You walk around mingling people and just pick up glasses they put down. The kitchen is a thousand degrees but you need to wear their uniform. Our manager was a Nazi and would yell at everyone all the time with his thick, German accent. He would kill anyone that touched food accidently when clearing plates or god help you, stack them wrong. The best day of my 17 year old life was when he dropped a bunch of dishes in the middle of a wedding. That beat my broken glass in front of the bride zilla.
I never came back after that. I did not quit, and they did not fire me.

Bonnie Togs was okay, I liked the people, but mothers are angery people and those that were foreign would pretend not to understand sometimes. Some parents let their kids crawl up clothing displays, eat food under racks, rip tags off, leave HUGE piles in the change room, argue endlessly about something stupid, etc. The meetings on how to sell sucked. I quit because of school.

Green Earth was great uncle my lazy boss got fired and replaced with a robot. He was the fakest person in the world, he hated the way we all tried to sell things (I went for honesty and did not bug people). He wanted us to follow people around, give them all the details at whatever they looked at, etc. I honestly hated him more then anyone in my life. He made me and a bunch of girls train new people and then fired us. If I could go back to a moment, I would go back and tell him off so good.

Paper Carrying...dave I think you could tell that one hahha
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:28 am

Sniper
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:31 am

fuck, hate has me beat in so many ways

ok
in chronological order

1) Liquor Store Stock Boy (17-18)
So there is this non-chain liquor store by my house. i was really lucky to get the job. i didnt have a car and it was within scooter/walking distance. I got paid a whopping 7 an hour to basically keep up shop. I would break down boxes, refill all the beer and soda in the gigantic refrigeratior, sweeep and mop the floors, clean everything, take out the trash. kinda a good job, they let me listen to music. Bummer was the hours. 8-11 Friday and saturday nights, 7-10 sunday. for a senior in highschool, that kind of sucked. i always missed out on what my friends were doing. i got fired. they never really told me why. i think i was there for 9 months or so.

2) Foto-Hall (18-19 thereabouts)
So this was a photo store where we sold cameras and film. we also developed film there as well. I was the one in charge of developing film and making prints. It was my dream job at the time. I was so elated to get hired. But then things started going downhill. The Boss was this Ukrainian Nightmare. He was extremely gruff. He got someone who worked there for 15 years to leave cuse of his attitude. He was a major prick and a douche, to put it lightly.
Second problem was the place was sold to the Nazi cuse the OTHER NICE OWNER wanted to expand. So my nazi boss bought the place that had succeeded for 20 years and precedes to sink it into the ground. The AC died in the winter, so we had no cool air the whole summer. there are two associated problems with that. One, the machines i work with keep all the liquids inside at 100 degrees or hotter and dry with hot air. these things would raise your room temperature easily 10 degrees a piece, we had 5 machines. second problem was that southern california gets super hot in the summer. so the 90 degree days felt like a fucking sauna inside.
Overall, i got to play with photoshop, learn alot about photography, and work on a near MILLION DOLLAR MACHINE. seriously, this thing sells for 750,000. you dont buy it, you rent it. I wish i had a similar job now, but not with a dick boss

3) Knight Photo and Video (19-20...21....not really gone, not really there still)
ok, so this guy is super nice and picked me up off my job #2. he is a photographer and has his own studio. basically, i got paid to photoshop, and take pictures. i was technically a professional. I did a nigerian and an Indian wedding. they were so cool and fun to see. I have also been to two quincenerea . the mexican 15th b-day party. i have also done work for a company called nutrilite. which, if you have taken any kind of supplement, chances are, these guys touched it. They had mega fancy business parties. i got to go to a couple.
the major problem with this business was my boss couldnt keep the business afloat. i got paid fairly well for 4 months or so, but then he stopped making enough money. I worked, for lack of a better term, Pro Bono for 5 months. Im owed (if you think of it that way) probably alot of money. people tell me all the time it was a waste of time and that its illegal and why dont i sue the guy. he was super nice, and gave two kids the opportunity to learn the business. it was an amazing experience and im glad i worked there.
but then again, i was working without pay for 5 months. keeping a car and insurance and gas for that long was challenging

4) Staffmark (21..i was there almost 6 months)
This one, my last current job, i was in a warehouse. i checked product for all of the 7-11's in the greater southern california area. i got paid amazingly well for the menial work i was doing. i hated most of the people, the truck drivers. they acted worse than some 5 year olds i know. so the people sucked, and the hours werent that great, 4-10 pm. about 3 weeks ago i was fired, for no reason. they claimed i was taking tobacco, but the guy firing me KNEW i was innocent. overall, way douchy move. people said i should have stood and fought, but thats not who i am and i dont want to work for people that will just fuck me willy nilly. in the 6 months i worked there, i think i racked up close to 6K, and for a kid still in college, thats not too shabby. shame i got fired

Now
I just filed for unemployment. I asked a close friend if it was noble or not to do it. the thought really hadnt crossed my mind. He informed me that some of my taxes go to the UI and that i have already paid into the system. That sealed the deal. I dotn plan on mooching off the system, but i have a life to keep and i WAS unjustly fired, so i figure i have some cash coming my way.

And thats the humble story of brute

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:38 pm

You guys do realize the thread is "the worst job you've ever had", right? Not list lengthy explanations of every job you've had in your life?

Anyway, just being an ass. I enjoyed reading those.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:26 pm

I wanted lengthy
I'll say mine later
There are free shirts here

Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486629
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:44 pm

Painting.

Holy fuck that sucked. Sitting in the Florida heat furing the summer for 6 hours a day painting a fucking building. The sun reflects off the paint and burns your eyes so much that you have to wear sunglasses to keep from going blind. The heat was unbearable as well.

I got to listen to music at least, but it wasn't worth it. At all.

Plus your arms get really sore from holding up the roller at the tips of your fingers to get paint near the roof.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10450
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:58 pm

I have had a few, cleaning foreclosures out was the worst. Ever seen a petrified squirrel? I have, it's brutal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:24 pm

breakyoudown wrote:
I wanted lengthy
I'll say mine later
There are free shirts here

I know lol, I was being a jackass
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crispyman01
A Scholar

Number of posts : 241
Hedonistic Glory : 3028
Joined In : 2010-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:37 am

hmm... well Axe had me go and help that bastard moving plywood or some shit. that sucked ass. and other than that. the only ever job i've had is the one i'm at. it's degrading, humiliating, and overall a shitty work environment. I don't get hours and i get shit constantly for having stayed there 2 years. plus minimum wage blows. But i consider myself very lucky (skillful, axe :twisted: ) to have a job at all. as much as i like to complain, i make enough to pay for my own insurance, my own gas, and the occasional video games and date nights and shit. its so liberating not having to beg and do chores for money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:41 am

Lol @ wasting money on a girl

And yes, very lucky. You know they randomly select applications because they get thousands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:10 pm

sarainadream wrote:
All of them. Other then my current one.

Banquet Hall: I was not a waitress, so I did not have to memorize the menu but I did everything else and you do not get tips. I was not 18 so I could not even serve wine and I had to tell people that that asked me. I worked weddings, special lunches, Mother's Day stuff, etc. The upside was we got to eat leftovers, the downside was they were quickly gone. Anyways, I have weak arms and had to carry these HUGE trays with tons of dishes full of food a certain way and manuever around tables with no space and no one moved of course. So you try not to trip and as you serve the plates they are burning hot and you cannot give a dish to someone to hand to a person you cannot reach...not proper etiquette. You had to set all the tables all perfect and wedding ones were so lame. You walk around mingling people and just pick up glasses they put down. The kitchen is a thousand degrees but you need to wear their uniform. Our manager was a Nazi and would yell at everyone all the time with his thick, German accent. He would kill anyone that touched food accidently when clearing plates or god help you, stack them wrong. The best day of my 17 year old life was when he dropped a bunch of dishes in the middle of a wedding. That beat my broken glass in front of the bride zilla.
I never came back after that. I did not quit, and they did not fire me.

Bonnie Togs was okay, I liked the people, but mothers are angery people and those that were foreign would pretend not to understand sometimes. Some parents let their kids crawl up clothing displays, eat food under racks, rip tags off, leave HUGE piles in the change room, argue endlessly about something stupid, etc. The meetings on how to sell sucked. I quit because of school.

Green Earth was great uncle my lazy boss got fired and replaced with a robot. He was the fakest person in the world, he hated the way we all tried to sell things (I went for honesty and did not bug people). He wanted us to follow people around, give them all the details at whatever they looked at, etc. I honestly hated him more then anyone in my life. He made me and a bunch of girls train new people and then fired us. If I could go back to a moment, I would go back and tell him off so good.

Paper Carrying...dave I think you could tell that one hahha
Ah, I've got a friend who works as a waitress in like the poshest resturaunt in town, but she says it's unbearable. She gets told off for doing fuck all and the hours she works are ridiculous. 5-11 on a Saturday night. For a 15-year-old that's hell. She doesn't want to quit though because the pay's really good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:05 pm

wow. you just said "poshest"
that is cool

15 working at a restaurant? wooooow. that is.....illegal somehow.

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:53 pm

Brute wrote:
wow. you just said "poshest"
that is cool

15 working at a restaurant? wooooow. that is.....illegal somehow.
She must be good at it. I tried to get a job at some rundown cafe and I couldn't even get that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Paper route
3 cents per house....Horrible

Dishwasher
Worked with absolute idiots. Everyone would dump loads of dirty shit for me to clean. My 2 fellow dishboys did almost nothing.

Going to landscape for the 3rd time this summer

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:07 pm

My cousin had to do a paper round for our whole estate, which is a good few hundred houses. It took her about 3 hours over 3 nights to do it and she only got payed 10 every week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExtremeOverload
I CAME!

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:46 pm

I've been told to make business cards and start free lancing as a graphic artist. I've already had one paying job and currently working on my second. Thing is, I'm to lazy. Fuck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bloodbeast
The Cuddle Monster

Number of posts : 1638
Hedonistic Glory : 4847
Joined In : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:55 pm

Detassling.

Imagine being dressed head to toe in clothes, walking threw literally miles of boggy cornfields, bugs everywhere, first being soaked to the bone in mornings, followed by the intense heat of a Illinois sun, or sometimes the relentless rains. Repetitively pulling the tips of cornstalks off at break back pace. Work begins at 5 and done perhaps at 3. Coming home caked in mud and dirt and sweat and completely sore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Kyle, why the hell would you pass on such an outstanding opportunity

ExtremeOverload
I CAME!

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:56 pm

Not exactly passing, I just can't think of a decent business card design. Which is sad as I'm in that line of work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:35 pm

Get on that man
I made $120 bucks over the Internet

ExtremeOverload
I CAME!

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:57 pm

Will work on it. Currently brain storming business cards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:43 am

Blood Beast wrote:
Detassling.

Imagine being dressed head to toe in clothes, walking threw literally miles of boggy cornfields, bugs everywhere, first being soaked to the bone in mornings, followed by the intense heat of a Illinois sun, or sometimes the relentless rains. Repetitively pulling the tips of cornstalks off at break back pace. Work begins at 5 and done perhaps at 3. Coming home caked in mud and dirt and sweat and completely sore.
but you felt like the baddest man alive.

ExtremeOverload wrote:
Not exactly passing, I just can't think of a decent business card design. Which is sad as I'm in that line of work.
dude, i feel your pain. i too have done some graphic work and photography for paying freelance gigs on my own. it is really tough
i have found that its best to make yourself a schedule. set a time, say 30 minutes that you agree with yourself that you will sit in front of the comp and make stuff. it doesnt have to be good, and it doesnt matter if you run over time. just set aside a certain time everyday that you feel most productive and just start creating. you (i assume more so than i) are good at these kinds of things, we just (at this stage in our life) have major apathy.

any work you do is good, get out there and start clicking (or drawing, whatever you do)

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worst job you've ever had?   

Back to top Go down

Worst job you've ever had?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1