Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

An Idea (feedback would be great)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16110
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:50 pm

I have an idea for a blog, something like "500 artists that you need to hear". It was inspired by the best things in life and the worst things blogs that have been posted around the forum. What do you guys think? My idea is to just have a band/musician posted each week, with a little spiel about them and why they're on the list, and recommendations for albums and songs. The list would not be in any kind of order of greatness or anything, just a list of artist that I find to be superb. It wouldn't just be metal either, it would be all kinds of genres (except for probably hip-hop/rap since I don't know much about it). Also if anyone thinks this is a cool idea and would want to be a part of the project I would definitely take volunteers. Does anyone like this idea? I would like to make it and attract a lot of traffic. I wouldn't really want to do it unless people actually kept up with it.

EDIT BRUTE
YOU CAN VIEW IT HERE
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtSfbfgA4VqwdE5QTTlIbWFkcnlvVWZUQzdXcWh0eEE&hl=en

Last edited by Axe on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14988
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:31 am

i think that this place is really public, but i dont think people frequent it enough. if there was a way to make a blogspot or something (that was your suggestion>) and have people go there, and reroute them here if they like the 500 artists, that could be cool

i do sat we keep it metal. i mean, cuse we all know about mostly metal. i mean, everyone knows more about other genres of music, but i say we keep it MOSTLY metal themed.

i also say we edit it as a group. i think that if we do something like this, we have to make it sound catchy, look nice. i mean, opinions could get messed up, but just a general language check and phrasing could be better

im in. i just dont want to make a page....assuming we go that direction

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:52 am

We could have it be strictly metal/metal related. That sounds good. So you think we should make it a blog and advertise the forum on there? Also you could help make it... aesthetically pleasing, if you so desire. I think this has the potential to be really good, we could get a lot of traffic by doing this. It would also be very fun, if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:00 am

i wasnt aware that blogspots are open to creative....choices. i think they are what you get, but yeah, you can type up shit. im not sure. i dont make blogs. never have. but im sure we can use our prowess to be able to come up with one.

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:15 am

Well you can make them fairly creative

http://anette-olzon.blogspot.com/

We could definitely make it look good
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:16 am

i stand corrected once again.

i just dont want to make teh page. ill contribute....;just someone make it first

yeah, im weird about it like that

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:21 am

I'll wait until we get some more feedback and I'll probably make it this weekend sometime. I'd like to get a bunch of people involved with a bunch of different tastes so we can accurately cover everything
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:27 am

i certainly have differnet tastes....

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:28 am

I'd say with me and you, we have folk, melodeath, and prog pretty well covered. I also have a decent taste in black metal if I do say so myself, as well as some gothic and power metal. But I want to make sure we have people who know a lot about each genre. We can make this really really good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:31 am

Axe wrote:
I'd say with me and you, we have folk, melodeath, and prog pretty well covered. I also have a decent taste in black metal if I do say so myself, as well as some gothic and power metal. But I want to make sure we have people who know a lot about each genre. We can make this really really good.
*queue entire forum snickering at you*
well, i agree that we have a firm basis, but i have much to keep learning. nobody takes advice from me, so that means i have much to keep learning

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:34 am

Nobody takes advice from you because they're idiots. You know about a lot of great prog/melodeath bands and have showed me quite a bit of stuff. No one takes advice from me because I just know about a lot of well known stuff, I suppose. I like pretty much every genre of metal though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:36 am

*embarrassingly toes ground
well thank you. i think the only talent i posses is to be unpredictable. lol

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25407
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:30 am

Excellent idea

Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486688
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:23 pm

I'm in, goo idea axe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:33 pm

Thanks guys, I'll see about getting this set up sometime. I guess what we could do is make a stickyed thread for us to plan in. We'll need everyone who's willing to pitch in for writing and band selection.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:02 pm

The blog's been created

http://metalisfav.blogspot.com/

I'll create a custom theme and set everything up later
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:10 pm

joined/followed

just let me know what to do. i say we first make a running list. not post by post here, but an ongoing list of bands we want to include. 500 is an aweful lot. i have 180 or so of my own to share....but there will be overlap

we need a gameplan.
ill be your right hand man. just tell me where to go

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:18 pm

Ok well right now I'm just setting up the details. I made an about me section and a list of metal subgenres, feel free to comment on what you think should be changed or added. I'm going to have to develop a cool skin, hopefully I can get something similar to the one here at the forums to help make it seem more linked. And yes, we will need to keep a running list of bands, I think we can do it by subgenre and alphabetical order from there. I think we could have people develop their own lists and send them to me, then I will pick one each week and have the sender develop the post. I'll do the first one or so so we can get a good formula down for the post structure. We won't be posting links to the album download, unless we want to have someone comment on the blog with a link to a download or something. That way blogger doesn't kick us off. This can be a really good way to attract attention to the forum we need to make sure we don't get it banned lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:21 pm

yeah, dont want to get band.

universal thread posting for the 500 bands? should i make it?

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:26 pm

Well idk, would it get too hectic? Unless we make the rules state that any bands listed should be edited into the posters first thread, to avoid confusion.

Also, we should have posters list their bands in the following fashion

Death - Death Metal
Burzum - Black Metal
HammerFall - Power Metal
Dream Theater - Progressive Metal

etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:29 pm

idk, cuse then we could get into a genre war
i guess i can see i can make a google doc of the bands in an xcel spreadsheet. that way it can be alphabetized easily.
i also say we knock it from 500....to 100. 500 bands is a fuck-ton.

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:41 pm

How about I just rename it to "M&E's Must Hear Metal Artists"?

That way we just go without a number restriction? Originally I thought 1000, but that would be a fuck ton. But I can also rename the blog so if we do have a numerical title we can change it if we exceed the amount posted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:17 am

Okay I made a Black Sabbath post. It's not on the blog yet, but this is kinda what I was thinking. Feel free to make suggestions and edits. Each post I make to the blog will be posted here first so we can make sure everyone agrees on it.

Black Sabbath

Formed in 1969, Black Sabbath made the music that is widely considered to be the first in the genre of heavy metal. Black Sabbath's style was composed of distorted guitar work and a very blues influenced progression style, which was often played at a slower tempo. At that time in the late 60's, popular music often reflected themes like peace, love, and anti-war. Black Sabbath was one of the first bands to break through that barrier and adopt darker themes. The original line-up of the band was Ozzy Osbourne (vocals), Tony Iommi (guitar), Geezer Butler (bass guitar), and Bill Ward (percussion). Over the years, Black Sabbath would suffer from many line-up changes, adopting new members such as Ronnie James Dio, Ian Gillan (of Deep Purple fame), Vinny Appice, and Tony Martin. Tony Iommi is the only member of the band to play on every Black Sabbath album.
Black Sabbath's contributions to metal music are many. Recording the first recognized heavy metal album, they are regarded as the first heavy metal band. Black Sabbath has also had major influence over the metal subgenre doom metal, with the name of the subgenre being taken from the track "Hand of Doom", found on the album "Paranoid". The signature sound of Black Sabbath, from the howling vocals of Ozzy Osbourne to the distorted wailing guitars of Tony Iommi, has influenced perhaps every metal band to make music.

Essential Tracks:

Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Sweat Leaf
N.I.B.
Hand of Doom
Children of the Grave
Into the Void
Electric Funeral
Heaven and Hell

Essential Albums:

Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Master of Reality
Black Sabbath Vol. 4
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Sabotage
Heaven and Hell
Mob Rules

Last edited by Axe on Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:08 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:43 am

maybe we could link them to youtube and wikipedia and metal archive.
those three links i always use

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10842
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:45 am

Honestly, the first 6 plus the Dio albums should all be under essential albums
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:46 am

Also I'm totally cool with Sabbath because they're just that awesome, but I wouldn't include bands that everyone already knows because it'd be just pointless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:50 am

Well the point is the have the best of the best, regardless of how many people know about them. You're welcome to put in all of your own suggestions man, any artist you want to see represented. Also feel free to help edit what I want to post.

I agree, most of their albums are fantastic, but do you think we should keep it limited to a few albums? I wanted to put a few more ozzy era albums and Mob Rules, but I wanted to keep it short. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:56 am

I honestly think they're essential dude

As for the songs, add Children of the Grave, Into the Void and Electric Funeral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:00 am

K I'll add 'em up. You want all of the Ozzy era albums? I think we could exclude Never Say Die lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:05 am

Yeah, forget that one and Technical Ecstasy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:42 am

wait, did i misread this?
is this a 500 best albums?
or artists?
i thought it was artists.
and i say we include the obvious ones....i mean, there are always people out there that dont know.

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:25 am

Stoner/Sludge needs adding as a sub-genre...
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25407
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:55 pm

This is such a badass idea. I can't wait till its complete.
Fimbulvet Ewiger Winter

Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11445
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:06 pm

I'm in if you need me. How are we going about getting suggestions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:14 pm

Brute you have ADHD o ADD don't you? I do the same thing.

This is an artists blog, but under the info we have essential songs and albums.

And I'll add that Dies. Are you interested in helping? You could be a great asset man. And Darkflame, I haven't really thought that far ahead yet. I'm thinking about making a topic and each person who is contributing will have 1 post for their recommendations. Every time you have something new to contribute, you edit your post and add it in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9846
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Is there going to be any pattern to the progression of this list? And should we not create the list of must-hear metal artists before starting the posts and elaborations?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:52 pm

I'm not sure, should there be? I just figured we would keep a running list and we could pick one each week, and try to mix things up. I think we should try to have something different each time. Would you like to be a part of this? I'm trying to figure out who's all interested. I think you'd make a fantastic contributor.

Also, do you guys that agreed to help want to have the log in and stuff? I made it just for the blog, and I think it would be cool if you guys wanted access to it to put up your own posts. We just need to make sure we keep things steady and keep posts similar in length and in style. Also we need to make sure we use good grammar on posts, we need this to look pretty professional.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:18 pm

I think it should be one album each day, and we each take turns posting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:19 pm

One artist* each day?

Or how do we want to do this? I'm open to changing things up. Do you think we should do essential metal albums or something? And we can alternate posts no problem, i thought that would be better anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WookieBastage
Corpsegrinder

Number of posts : 270
Hedonistic Glory : 3247
Joined In : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:45 pm

tldr;

The bands I want to do so far:

The Black Dahlia Murder
Slipknot (This one is important to me)
Deftones (This is also important)
Lamb of God
Cannibal Corpse
Dethklok
Marilyn Manson
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sixpickles.blogspot.com/
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10509
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:54 pm

We have to do Impaled Northern Moon Forest. And Burzum lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:38 pm

WookieBastage wrote:
tldr;

The Black Dahlia Murder
Lamb of God
Cannibal Corpse
Dethklok
Marilyn Manson

I really don't think that would fit the blog. I thought this was supposed to be about metal bands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:22 pm

OK
BRUTE'S TWO CENTS!!!

i say make it a 500 metal ALBUMS you must hear. i mean, albums will be much easier to write about and we can make is about the band as well. but 500 artists is a FUCKING TALL ORDER. i dont speak from experience, but we ill get fed up with 500 artists, most likely.

i say we keep it still weekly, or make it like 2 a week, and post both on the same day, or 3 on the same day. like a newspaper doesnt give out a page each day, the release several pages at the end of the week (metaphor is weak, but you get my idea)

those opposed? those in favor?

and how did ADHD come up in this?

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
WookieBastage
Corpsegrinder

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:35 pm

Master Cthulhu wrote:
WookieBastage wrote:
tldr;

The Black Dahlia Murder
Lamb of God
Cannibal Corpse
Dethklok
Marilyn Manson

I really don't think that would fit the blog. I thought this was supposed to be about metal bands.

Uhh, despite what you may think, those are metal bands. We're not doing 500 Death Metal bands or 500 Prog Metal Bands. Nu Metal is completely legitimate.
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:36 pm

as much as i disagree, you are technically correct.
that being said, expect to only see korn representing the nu metal category

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:44 pm

WookieBastage wrote:
Master Cthulhu wrote:
WookieBastage wrote:
tldr;

The Black Dahlia Murder
Lamb of God
Cannibal Corpse
Dethklok
Marilyn Manson

Uhh, despite what you may think, those are metal bands. We're not doing 500 Death Metal bands or 500 Prog Metal Bands. Nu Metal is completely legitimate.

Ahahaha, no. Nu-Metal is just hard rock with some "metal influence" (down-tuned distorted guitars)

Also, post shit that doesn't completely suck. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Last edited by Taxer666 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WookieBastage
Corpsegrinder

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:47 pm

Eat my shit.
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:48 pm

lern 2 metul
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:50 pm

troll something original taxer.

you tire me of your same insults.

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
WookieBastage
Corpsegrinder

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:54 pm

Jesus Christ, agreed.
The bands I listed are legitimate metal bands. I want to put up a variety on this thing. I don't want to just drone on about shitty ambient black metal and old school death metal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An Idea (feedback would be great)   

Back to top Go down

An Idea (feedback would be great)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next