Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Religion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

What religion are you?
Christian
19%
 19% [ 4 ]
Jewish
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Atheist
48%
 48% [ 10 ]
Other (because I'm too lazy to list 50 religions)
33%
 33% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 21

AuthorMessage
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14868
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Thu May 06, 2010 3:14 am

wow, in depth analysis, ruined by horse the band

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9726
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Thu May 06, 2010 3:59 am

I like HORSE the Band, though I don't think anyone saw why I posted them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10722
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Thu May 06, 2010 4:10 am

VacuousReality wrote:
I like HORSE the Band, though I don't think anyone saw why I posted them.

Quit trying to justify your failure (for gods)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sarainadream
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 784
Hedonistic Glory : 3710
Joined In : 2009-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Fri May 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Heaven sounds nice and so do Gods but I think...

We are matter and everything around us is matter and we are no better than plants or animals and no hierachies should be in place because we are randomly here for a short time to do what we think we should do. Follow your own morals, who gives a crap what you believe or don't, if something makes you feel better or gives you something to 'live for" then good for you. Some people need more assurance than others. Most people cannot handle that life is random and there is no essential "meaning" ...other than 42 of course.

I do think we are part of something bigger, apart of bigger universes...watch Horton Hears a Who it's actually awesome.

Religion is facinating and how we interpret ancient books is also but really, ponder forever or just enjoy your relatively short life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11109
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun May 09, 2010 8:36 pm

im cool with whatever. I think that if there is a god, then he wont care if you follow the bible or not as long as you are a good person. I like to think god is more mature and wont throw you in hell becasue you didnt read his book. most religions, at the core preach basically the same thing. just be a good person. i dont beleive that nothing happenes when we die. i think we have to wait till we die to find out. we have no way of knowing. there has to be something thats happening. after all, we all exist- how did that happen? how did existence happen? was there nothing and then out of nothing, stuff happened? its all a giant mystery. as it is said, "life is an enigma." (lol getting korny right here. yeah bro- thats some deep shit) all we can do is guess what happens after we die. it could be different for everybody. personally, i hope when i die, i re-awaken in another universe (there is an infinite amount of universes in the multiverse- string theory and all the shit apparently) that would be kinda like middle earth, so i can go on epic quests and slay dragons. if thats what really happens, IT WOULD BE SO AWESOME!!! maybe when you die depending on how you conducted yourself in this lifetime, you get thrown into a different universe. ones farther away from the one you wanted if you were bad and closer to the one you dreamed of when you were good. thats like a weird twist on buddhism. yeah... got to stay positive for dragons. dragons are awesome. my point i guess is it doesnt matter as long as your a good person...and dragons. i dont know much bout religion so dont make fun of me for this post- i kinda kept repeating shit. sooooooo... hi. hows it going?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
D-Lor
Top Lad

Number of posts : 165
Hedonistic Glory : 2837
Joined In : 2010-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun May 09, 2010 8:45 pm

The thing is, LOR, that's all just wishful thinking. Those are all things that I would like to be true, but that's as far as it goes. You can't put faith into something simply because you like the idea of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun May 09, 2010 8:51 pm

im not. i said im gonna wait till i die. doesnt hurt to wonder, or you would not have even made this thread. whats your explanation for existence? exaclty- there is none. just wait and see.
Back to top Go down
D-Lor
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun May 09, 2010 8:55 pm

LOR wrote:
im not. i said im gonna wait till i die. doesnt hurt to wonder, or you would not have even made this thread. whats your explanation for existence? exaclty- there is none. just wait and see.
I wasn't really directing that at you, but at those who do that (invent things, then put their faith into it).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun May 09, 2010 8:57 pm

o. then im over it.

but seriously. dragons would be epic. not putting my faith into it. but im just putting it out there... it would be epic. NO ONE CAN DISAGREE!!!!!! NO ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
D-Lor
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun May 09, 2010 8:58 pm

LOR wrote:
o. then im over it.

but seriously. dragons would be epic. not putting my faith into it. but im just putting it out there... it would be epic. NO ONE CAN DISAGREE!!!!!! NO ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha, I remember there being a Discovery special on how there may have been real dragons. I'm talking... flying, fire-breathing dragons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun May 09, 2010 9:08 pm

omg!!!! you just made my day sir dan of lor! IM GONNA GO ON A QUEST NOW TO FIND A DRAGON!!!!!!! wanna come? or after we graduate? summer? dragon hunting?
Back to top Go down
D-Lor
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun May 09, 2010 9:11 pm

LOR wrote:
omg!!!! you just made my day sir dan of lor! IM GONNA GO ON A QUEST NOW TO FIND A DRAGON!!!!!!! wanna come? or after we graduate? summer? dragon hunting?

They only found fossils.

...but of course we could always steal the fossils, go Jurassic Park on their asses, and bring back the dragons.

...IT WILL BE DONE!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun May 09, 2010 9:19 pm

im ready! :copter:
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15990
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Mon May 10, 2010 1:00 am

My religion is music.

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Mon May 10, 2010 3:29 am

remember that one dude stole something in jurrasic park?
wait, neither do i.

that one dude from that heinlien short story stepped on a butterfly. dont do that shit man

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Mon May 10, 2010 3:46 pm

Axe wrote:
My religion is music.

i can agree with that.
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Mon May 10, 2010 3:47 pm

fucking axe....throwing a curve ball into the situation

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
allseeingeye
Top Lad

Number of posts : 102
Hedonistic Glory : 2871
Joined In : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:05 pm

christianity: ..... blind faith ...hilarious and idiotic ... why because you are believing in something that your not alowed to question , it is truly the most backwards logic . i would rather worship the person that came up with such a brilliant idea why because its extremely intelligent , nothing better then have someone shut up and worship without the struggle of answering questions left by the best fiction novel in the world, the bible of coarse Very Happy it is truly the most mind bending book as it constantly contradicts itself and the fact that the pope wont even let the public read the full uneditied edition is just the icing on the cake
as you can quite obviously tell im an atheist
im going to say im sorry if i offended any one but this is how i feel about catholosism ( and some parts of christianity due to the pope only governing the catholic faction)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486568
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:09 pm

Organized religion was, in my opinion, only made to control people through fear.

In an extremely short, general description, anyways.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:12 pm

I think religion probably evolved over time. Belief in magic and the supernatural goes way back and is an essential part of many cultures and the way they are organized and function.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allseeingeye
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:20 pm

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Organized religion was, in my opinion, only made to control people through fear.

In an extremely short, general description, anyways.

im the same way i think it was designed to make people develop conciences and eventualy bully them with fear.
when i used to be christian it took me a while to get out of the whole mentality of even concidering a god existing
eventualy i got out of it and i feel like a better person although my morals are still christian that is about the only good its done me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:27 pm

allseeingeye wrote:
christianity: ..... blind faith ...hilarious and idiotic ... why because you are believing in something that your not alowed to question , it is truly the most backwards logic . i would rather worship the person that came up with such a brilliant idea why because its extremely intelligent , nothing better then have someone shut up and worship without the struggle of answering questions left by the best fiction novel in the world, the bible of coarse Very Happy it is truly the most mind bending book as it constantly contradicts itself and the fact that the pope wont even let the public read the full uneditied edition is just the icing on the cake
im going to say im sorry if i offended any one but this is how i feel about catholosism ( and some parts of christianity due to the pope only governing the catholic faction)

You can believe in the principles of a religion without subscribing to a church. I am a pseudo-christian and I never attend church. You don't have to believe everything you are told. I customized my religion to fit my natural beliefs, and it takes from Christianity and heathen religions

Back to top Go down
View user profile
allseeingeye
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:38 pm

Axe wrote:
allseeingeye wrote:

You can believe in the principles of a religion without subscribing to a church. I am a pseudo-christian and I never attend church. You don't have to believe everything you are told. I customized my religion to fit my natural beliefs, and it takes from Christianity and heathen religions

im glad someone has taken it into their own hands personaly i have no problem with religion itself but when it starts to have a bad influence such as fear . everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and i respect yours as not everyone has an open mind to take their religion into their own hands instead they believe what is thrown at them by a church kudos to you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:41 pm

I have no problem at all with personal beliefs.

It's when people blindly follow I get upset.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allseeingeye
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:49 pm

Master Cthulhu wrote:
I have no problem at all with personal beliefs.

It's when people blindly follow I get upset.

i have said this to many friends of mine , religion in general makes me think of a bunch of children at a birthday party all have had too much soda and are all hyper , this leads to them all arguing about who's imaginary friend is better and what powers it has ..... needless to say it always cracks me up

and on a serious note blind folowing and quoting whole chapters of the bible etc at once just shows how much free will and intelligence a person has
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:52 pm

http://jesus-is-savior.com/

funny people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allseeingeye
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:56 pm

Master Cthulhu wrote:
http://jesus-is-savior.com/

funny people.

you should search the westboro baptist church they basicly hate everyone and they campaign at dead soldiers funerals and everything
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:57 pm

WBC doesn't hate everyone. They say God hates [insert a lot of people]. And they believe it is their duty to spread his word.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allseeingeye
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:03 pm

VacuousReality wrote:
WBC doesn't hate everyone. They say God hates [insert a lot of people]. And they believe it is their duty to spread his word.
they are still imbred nutjobs who show as much compassion for their fellow man as the grass in my garden all im going to say after that is that i judge everyone on what kind of person they are not by their beliefs , i couldnt care less what they believe its what they do that pisses me off ... also another fun fact i can remeber hearing that there are 160 people in their faction of christianity and 140 of the 160 are related
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:03 pm

Notice the entire family is lawyers.

They piss people off on purpose by protesting, and then they sue people for breaking up the protest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bloodbeast
The Cuddle Monster

Number of posts : 1638
Hedonistic Glory : 4786
Joined In : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:14 pm

Religion is pretty much for people who are afraid of life and need something to make them feel safe and superior in some egotistical, maniacal, perverse, bovine way. They're rather feeble in a way for they need to rely on their deity to guide them through life and tell them what is wrong or right, - where simple common sense usual will suffice. Another note for the weakness, is they usually fear death and need something to comfort them and make their demise seem a little more tolerable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allseeingeye
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Bloodbeast wrote:
Religion is pretty much for people who are afraid of life and need something to make them feel safe and superior in some egotistical, maniacal, perverse, bovine way. They're rather feeble in a way for they need to rely on their deity to guide them through life and tell them what is wrong or right, - where simple common sense usual will suffice. Another note for the weakness, is they usually fear death and need something to comfort them and make their demise seem a little more tolerable.

couldnt have put it better myself although alot of religious people are like this not all are , you are quite accurate with you statement although i dont think we can label everyone the same
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:41 pm

There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with religion. People are what's wrong, hence my hatred for most people. You can't blame something for being ruined by something else.

That's like music. Music is good. But then you occasionally get idiots who make horrible music, then mainstream radio plays it and all of the real music lovers get pissed off. But you don't blame music, you blame the assholes who ruined music. That's at least my opinion. If someone wants to "blindly follow" a religion it's their choice. But as soon as that blind devotion becomes extremism it becomes bad. Really the only bad people involved with religion are the extremist/terrorist fanatics and the leaders and other jackasses who shove their beliefs down people's throats.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:50 pm

Axe wrote:
There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with religion. People are what's wrong, hence my hatred for most people. You can't blame something for being ruined by something else.

That's like music. Music is good. But then you occasionally get idiots who make horrible music, then mainstream radio plays it and all of the real music lovers get pissed off. But you don't blame music, you blame the assholes who ruined music. That's at least my opinion. If someone wants to "blindly follow" a religion it's their choice. But as soon as that blind devotion becomes extremism it becomes bad. Really the only bad people involved with religion are the extremist/terrorist fanatics and the leaders and other jackasses who shove their beliefs down people's throats.
MISaNTHROPY YAYYY
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:52 pm

Like a hawk on its prey...

Last edited by VacuousReality on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:53 pm

VacuousReality wrote:
Like an hawk on its prey...
Like *a* hawk you mean? D:
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:56 pm

My mistake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bloodbeast
The Cuddle Monster

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:57 pm

No religion is good, it's oppresses people and binds them to a narrow-minded set of rules and philosophies, and through such bondage ignorance and arrogance are spawned. There is absolutely no necessity for religion of any kind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:38 am

Organized religion is bad.

Personal religion I can't stress enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D-Lor
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:55 am

So, what do you all think about the mosque being built near the twin towers site?

Also, just a random thought to be more disagreeable than everything else in here. There's one thing that bugs me about being an atheist: I get clumped together with the pessimists. People like to think that most atheist are in the "I hate people, I don't believe in anything, I'm deep, brooding, and pessimistic" camp. So I think people get the wrong idea about what I'm like when I say I'm an atheist. I may not believe in any gods, but I have a very optimistic outlook on the world and life.

I dislike when people have the "I hate people" attitude for a few reasons. First off, I think that 75% of the time, they don't actually hate people, they just want to have that "I'm smart because I'm self-righteous" persona. The rest get wrapped up in negative experiences and don't allow themselves to look at anything but the bad in the world. Yes, there is a lot of bad in the world. There is also a lot of good. I think the correct way to respond to the negative things is to help, not to act like the world and everyone in it sucks and there's nothing to be happy about.

PS: Yes, I still exist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:06 am

I don't mind a mosque being built near the twin towers at all. I'm sure there are a lot of Muslims in the area that would want to use it.

And +rep. Refreshing to hear. I always obsess on big negative stuff but I try to be optimistic. =)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D-Lor
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:11 am

VacuousReality wrote:
I don't mind a mosque being built near the twin towers at all. I'm sure there are a lot of Muslims in the area that would want to use it.

And +rep. Refreshing to hear. I always obsess on big negative stuff but I try to be optimistic. =)

I'm mixed on it, but not for the reasons I usually hear. I personally think it's fine and shouldn't be restricted, but I'm not sure why the Muslim community would want a mosque there. It's asking to be harassed.

It's really easy to obsess on the negative stuff. It's all you hear about in the media. The media doesn't care about the name of the fireman who saved lives in the fire, only who started the fire. I don't like the media, haha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:33 am

How does religion oppress people? You can tell me how people oppress people but religion itself doesnt do anything of the sort.

And I am very personal about my religion. I dont tell people unless they ask for the most part. But people should feel free to come together and do what they want. It does not affect anyone negatively unless they start doing the things I already mentioned

Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:56 am

I don't like the media either, and I never watched the news for long. I would usually see it while eating in the dining room or occasionally I'd see it for a bit if I was in the family room.

The only thing that really bothers me is the nature of existence and existence itself. That's part of what makes life fun though. One has to work within the confines of their own convictions (even if such convictions only live in a world of their own), weigh their values, and take tactical action. You create arbitrary and irrational worlds to give yourself purpose to exist. Without that world life is just a vacuous reality. Life is a game, and you play a game because you want to progress and see the next stage. That's my reason anyways.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:01 am

Religion can oppress the mind of a person. If they think they have to go accomplish some task A, or follow certain rules B C and D, or else they'll be punished or shunned etc. then the religion is controlling their life (somewhat) even if they might not want that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:24 am

D-Lor wrote:
So, what do you all think about the mosque being built near the twin towers site?

Also, just a random thought to be more disagreeable than everything else in here. There's one thing that bugs me about being an atheist: I get clumped together with the pessimists. People like to think that most atheist are in the "I hate people, I don't believe in anything, I'm deep, brooding, and pessimistic" camp. So I think people get the wrong idea about what I'm like when I say I'm an atheist. I may not believe in any gods, but I have a very optimistic outlook on the world and life.

I dislike when people have the "I hate people" attitude for a few reasons. First off, I think that 75% of the time, they don't actually hate people, they just want to have that "I'm smart because I'm self-righteous" persona. The rest get wrapped up in negative experiences and don't allow themselves to look at anything but the bad in the world. Yes, there is a lot of bad in the world. There is also a lot of good. I think the correct way to respond to the negative things is to help, not to act like the world and everyone in it sucks and there's nothing to be happy about.

PS: Yes, I still exist.

Couldn't agree more. +rep
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:47 pm

I think a lot of religious people are considered to be pessimistic because they depend on God(s).

& about the mosque: If there's room for one there why not build it?

& I agree with VR's view of how religion can be oppressing to the mind. Government laws & regulations are oppressing too sometimes me thinks.

When I was youger priest came to visit my school for us to ask questions about religion & God. I asked him "If God has a plan, do we really have free will?". "Yes," he replied "Part of God's plan is to have free will, to be happy and fulfilled", which I thought was kind of stupid because what if one who follows god wants to have crazed rampaging sex orgies, mass genocide and murder? Wouldn't that all be against God's plan?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:07 pm

I am rather ignorant about this subject but...You know what's kind of silly is that, a lot of Christians say the Old Testament isn't necessary nowadays but they refer to it so they can say that homosexuality is a sin. Though, the Old Testament also says that eating Pork, Lobster (and a few other different creatures) is a sin as well. Why do Christians still eat pork when they forbid homosexuality? I thought Old Testament didn't apply anymore these days?

I never personally read the bible, but as far as I heard there isn't really anything in the New Testament about homosexuality as a sin and um... if it were to be a sin it would probably be in the 10 commandments?

**This is just some things I've heard...
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:00 pm

VacuousReality wrote:
I don't like the media either, and I never watched the news for long. I would usually see it while eating in the dining room or occasionally I'd see it for a bit if I was in the family room.

The only thing that really bothers me is the nature of existence and existence itself. That's part of what makes life fun though. One has to work within the confines of their own convictions (even if such convictions only live in a world of their own), weigh their values, and take tactical action. You create arbitrary and irrational worlds to give yourself purpose to exist. Without that world life is just a vacuous reality. Life is a game, and you play a game because you want to progress and see the next stage. That's my reason anyways.

i see what you did there. mmmm!!!!! tastes good

Bloodbeast
The Cuddle Monster

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:11 pm

Axe wrote:
How does religion oppress people? You can tell me how people oppress people but religion itself doesnt do anything of the sort.

And I am very personal about my religion. I dont tell people unless they ask for the most part. But people should feel free to come together and do what they want. It does not affect anyone negatively unless they start doing the things I already mentioned

The rules, guidelines, rituals, etc. dictate how those who follow a religion are to go about their lives, and if they stray from such rules they are then considered heathens and looked down upon, so they conform, they go with such practices even if they go against one's personal belief, and thus their religion becomes their oppressor.

Second, and this is more extended towards organized religion, it begins to intertwine itself with a society and culture, and then those societies begin the adhere to the religion's principles, word of God becomes law of land, and it is then forced onto those who don't even want it or agree with it; religion becomes state and state begins the snowballing cycle of oppression.

This is one reason why our country is so screwed up, we are said to have freedom of religion, yet we remain one nation under God. Christianity is deeply imbued with everything about our country, God is even on our currency, but why must we make the dollar a hallowed artifact? Ay, this country was founded by Christian men, with Christian beliefs and I can respect them for what they did, but their intent was to create a Christian state. The foundation they laid has been twisted into something it's not. As a whole our country still even looks down upon Eastern religions and all 'pagan' beliefs spawned elsewhere as pure nonsense and vulgarity, before the almighty Jesus and Holy Father.

And to further go into it, look at the countries who's belief lies in Islam. They are completely ruled by their faith, but does everyone who resides there believe it, or all of it's practices; e.g. women having to cover themselves and having no rights. I think not, but those countries will forever remain as they are so long as Allah rules and oppresses.

And then there is the ignorance and arrogance of religion. Everyone believes that their religion is the true one and all others are damned souls following an artificial idol, and as such, hate for one another is born and war, oppression and eradication becomes the solution. And here is the part I don't understand, would your god, in whatever form or forms they may be, care who it is you worship or follow so long as you lived a life of benevolence when it was fit to do so? Let us fantasize that there was indeed a one supreme being, would he truly be some egotistical that he would only seek worship? Or would he simply be content, or more so elated, with the beings he created living altruistic lives?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Religion   

Back to top Go down

Religion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next