Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Love?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Love?   Wed May 12, 2010 11:52 pm

Do you believe in love?

If so then are you afraid of it?

Are you always looking for it?

Discuss: love.

I have a hard time wanting to believing it, me thinks.
There are different levels of attachment, why can't the thing just be split into several different words?
I feel that all my boyfriends 'loved' me more than I 'loved' them... or 'loved' me in a different way or something. Shitsucks imo, I'd hate to 'love' a man more or less than he 'loved' me.
Back to top Go down
sarainadream
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 784
Hedonistic Glory : 3713
Joined In : 2009-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 12:03 am

Love is a state of mind. It is also a chemical reaction in your brain. There is charts on it and how hormones fuel it and how the whole euphoria-thing runs out after a short amount of time. It makes sense though. You have that love-obsessed feeling and then it slowly fades as you get comfortable with one another and it turns into a more sincere relationship...if you last. Love is not what keeps people together. It is compatibility. I have been with my fiance for three years and you need to be good friends.

The butterflies go away but you still want to be together because its fun and you get along.
But no one is PERFECT for one another. Love=sacrifices to stay together.

You know when it hits you and its whether it stays that you feel truly happy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 12:08 am

Razz Hrm. I knew of this chemical...never looked into it that much though. Kind of sad but true, a lot of people don't like to accept it as a chemical.

I just hate how confused it makes me. Sad I don't wanna love now that I know it. I hate hurting people. My chemical always wore off so soon. Mad
Back to top Go down
ExtremeOverload
I CAME!

Number of posts : 972
Hedonistic Glory : 3946
Joined In : 2009-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 12:09 am

Yes, no, and I have found it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9729
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 12:37 am

Well I don't have to feel something to believe in it. I can see its effects on people, hear them describe what they experience, etc. And then there is the neurological basis for it etc.

I wouldn't say I'm afraid of it, but I do avoid intimacy. Makes me uncomfortable and nervous and feel kind of lame. So of course I don't really look for it, but I'm always open to friendship.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10725
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 12:45 am

Senrae wrote:
Do you believe in love?

If so then are you afraid of it?

Are you always looking for it?

Discuss: love.

Yes

No

Sometimes yes, sometimes no

It's what it is really. Can't control it so just let it take its course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 12:54 am

Neurology is more believable, me thinks. But... Hm. I hate love because there are so many different views on it. Kind of like all other emotions, which are all states of mind. But um... hmmm... Anyway!

I don't like the idea of having something that can just come and go. It's like money. I wanna hold onto something. :/ And it's more common sense of how to hold onto it... Most people feel bound to it. Then I meet people who aren't... Like, they don't feel the need to stay with a particular person they 'love'. Kind of like how my dog is very much into my sister's dog, who had puppies various times with mine, but he also seeks out looking for another dog to mate with.

I wonder why it is considered right for humans to stick with one person and they can just shrug off what their dogs do.

Anyone know what I mean? D:

Maybe that was confusing... and will be confusing to me the next time I read it.
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 1:25 am

I think I've felt love a few times since middle school, like just a little bit, but it was weird. It was when I was thinking of people vomiting and dying all over the place or something. Or like that one time a bird didn't fly away from me when I walked by it. That made me cry. I guess it's just not my strong suit...I stick to Darkthrone and Jerry's Kids lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15993
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 1:26 am

I think of love more in spiritual terms. I love on many levels. I love all of my friends, but I'm not in love with them. Then there's being in love, which I think of as basically someone who shares a spiritual bond with you. There have been a few people in my life who I loved unconditionally (aside from my family) and it's because I felt like I understood them and they understood me completely. It might not have been the case, but I think that's what real love amounts to - when you care for someone so much that you would still care for them regardless of what they do.

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 2:05 am

The "love" I suppose I know best is just having a good will towards everything. Feeling happy when you see others are happy. That's one of the reasons I like this forum a lot. There just seems to be a lot of positivity in the air.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 3:05 am

Serious negativity is always refreshing too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 3:25 am

Idk, I can only really say I've been "in love" once in my life, but that didn't end so well. Since then it's only been "really like"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 3:37 am

Really? You've really liked some people?
Wow I never knew that.
Ah...stop right there. Save it for tomorrow.

The most love I've ever felt was when I was in the third grade probably. For another girl. And that ended well too. Never did or said anything but she randomly kissed me on the last day of school. That's all. Oh and some sexual dreams after that. That about summarizes my insignificant love life. I have a healthy respect for love though...but more of the happiness/love than the romantic/love, though I am sort of romantic. I mean, not that I really show it or would. I'm open to the idea.

Last edited by VacuousReality on Thu May 13, 2010 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11696
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 3:46 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 3:48 am

Nah, more like this blackstar

Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11696
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 3:51 am

Both are acceptable and I like both equally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11328
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 11:09 am

I believe in it but I've never really been "in love". I've thought I was before when I was younger but realised later I just really liked the girl. It was hardly love.

I've never really been in any long relationship though, so I've never really got that far with anyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sarainadream
True Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 12:02 pm

One must also remember that every culture has various outlooks on love.
There is endless beautiful poetry and literature on it, sonnets by the poets of the Early Modern period are so damn gooey and you know it is all b.s. They are often obsessed with beauty more so then a person's personality...some things do not change alot!

Senrae you question why animals find different mates and how people are expected to mate for life. If you look at the history of humans (from the beginning) it is kind of crazy that we are monogamous. I think it has to do on the emphasis on the proper "family" and religion has a strong base in a man/woman/ children family. SOCIETY (and all the fun influences that go along with it) is telling us we are meant to be with one person.

Personally, I like monogamy not because I think it is "right" in any fundamental way but I would be way too jealous to let my dude be with other people and me. Sometimes "free love" and swingers sound all fine and dandy but I could not happily go with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sarainadream
True Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 12:10 pm

Senrae wrote:
Neurology is more believable, me thinks. But... Hm. I hate love because there are so many different views on it. Kind of like all other emotions, which are all states of mind. But um... hmmm... Anyway!

I don't like the idea of having something that can just come and go. It's like money. I wanna hold onto something. :/ And it's more common sense of how to hold onto it... Most people feel bound to it. Then I meet people who aren't... Like, they don't feel the need to stay with a particular person they 'love'. Kind of like how my dog is very much into my sister's dog, who had puppies various times with mine, but he also seeks out looking for another dog to mate with.

I wonder why it is considered right for humans to stick with one person and they can just shrug off what their dogs do.

Anyone know what I mean? D:

Maybe that was confusing... and will be confusing to me the next time I read it.

It's true, there are many views but you should only really care about what you think. And really, everything in life can come and go. Is there really ANYTHING that cannot get out of your grasp? You can compare love to money but it can be fleeting like anything else. Now, some people believe in unconditional love...like the love a parent has for a child. I think that can be the case (where they love you no matter what) but there are parents who could not give a crap about their child's fate so even that is not universal.
There are married people who "love" their spouse but they will still cheat on them. It's not that they do not care about their well being anymore, it is that they are obviously lacking something in their relationship (sex, communication) and seek it somewhere else.
I get what you are saying, but it would be impossible for everyone to be "bound" by their love; movies make it all gushy when in reality, 50% of people that get married get divorced. A large percentage of married people cheat on their partners. The statistics seem to say that now that divorce is not taboo like it was when people were more religious, people do not feel the need to stick with the same person forever...which shines a light on love/monogamy/marriage etc.
But there are some people who will never stray and be happy for 65 years. LIFE itself is a huge toss up.

Props for posting those vids guys. I thought of Love? as soon as I saw the name of this thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 1:10 pm

I just have to post this:

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 2:34 pm

I win
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14871
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 2:37 pm

im personally drawn to the Darkness video....gotta love me some of them

As far as love goes.....it's rather interesting.
Never been in love with someone but i meet people occasionally whom i recognize that i could get along with them on a more than normal level, call it attraction.

open to the idea, not afraid in the slightest
i would argue that most people are constantly looking for it, but not actively pursuing it. lord knows im doing that.

and as far as discuss...

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25290
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 2:55 pm

ExtremeOverload wrote:
Yes, no, and I have found it.
I'm proud of ya man

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 2:59 pm

speaking of such things, i just remembered.
my friend, currently at the air force academy, he is 21

just got engaged

he knew the girl.........6 months?

this is so weird. im so weirded out by it. for some, this may not seem odd. but i come from a family where that isnt a normal thing
idk what to think. im just...hmmmph

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486571
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 3:35 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
Nah, more like this blackstar

ah, beat me to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 4:05 pm

how in the hell has nobody replied to my haddaway video?

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 4:06 pm

No one has responded to DI's video either, although I can understand that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 4:08 pm

I would have replied to Dies Irae's video if I had a clue what it was. And Brute, I wanted to hit you for that post. It made me laugh though

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 4:10 pm

Axe wrote:
I would have replied to Dies Irae's video if I had a clue what it was. And Brute, I wanted to hit you for that post. It made me laugh though

job done

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 5:10 pm

What about me? Iron fucking Maiden, people!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sarainadream
True Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 5:32 pm

+ Brute for that song. Totally uncalled for. Not that I prefer it to Maiden by any means but dang that song is hilarious. I still hear it on my mom's radio in the car.

And a 6 month dating period and then engagement is a bit soon, but it does not mean they are getting married asap (unless they started planning?).
I got engaged after a year. We have been together for three now, and have not come close to planning a wedding. So really, they seem to just be pledging their love...for now.
People who have shotgun marriages scare me though. No matter how enthralled you are with a person you meet, how perfect they seem, etc etc it takes a long time to really know who they are!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 6:39 pm

idk what their plans are. i just know they are engaged. im nervous for my friend. words cannot describe this weird feeling i have. she seemed nice, i like my friend. but he was one of the last people in our freind group that we thought would get married this quick

i hope its jsut that....a more serious dating relationship...

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 7:39 pm

Hopefully its not just to escape their parents

link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10392
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 9:56 pm

I had bad experiences when it comes to love. But it's a great thing. Can't really explain it in more then 100 words, and I don't feel like listening them, so lets just go with that it's a great thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu May 13, 2010 10:09 pm

but sometimes it really can suck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AfonsoVeiga
A Good Fellow

Number of posts : 80
Hedonistic Glory : 2715
Joined In : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:08 pm

Love? well, i'm 14 and i've been really in love for one time. I was in love with a girl from my class for about 2 years, and she didn't like me. too bad, now we're best friends.

Love? Love is Awesome.
Love? Love Sucks.

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/timelessvoidband
ExtremeOverload
I CAME!

Number of posts : 972
Hedonistic Glory : 3946
Joined In : 2009-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:47 pm

Love, what is it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:19 pm

Baby don't hurt me

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:41 am

i love that goddamn song

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11112
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:55 am

brute?!?! your back already?!?!? i have to remember to send you a letter. i almost certain im gonna forget.

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:09 am

not back persay.....
we spent 4 days out at camp. we came back to base for the night to talk to some real indians, jicarillia.

i leave tomorrow afternoon again. 9 days after that, ill be on leave, though idk if ill get back to base. it is all rather confusing. ask me

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:02 am

is it confusing?

breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:38 am

LOR your avatar is so good

LOR

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:57 pm

why thank you Very Happy

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:21 pm

AfonsoVeiga wrote:
Love? well, i'm 14 and i've been really in love for one time. I was in love with a girl from my class for about 2 years, and she didn't like me. too bad, now we're best friends.

Love? Love is Awesome.
Love? Love Sucks.

Rolling Eyes
Holy shit, I'm not the youngest anymore!

That sucks though, man. I've never really been in love, just really liked some girls.

LOR wrote:
brute?!?! your back already?!?!? i have to remember to send you a letter. i almost certain im gonna forget.
Yep, me too. That llama will be sent, Brute.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:16 pm

Love? What is it you ask?

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Love?   Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:30 am