Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486632
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Mon May 17, 2010 4:42 pm

Since I am very bored at the moment, and I'm sitting at my desk with a healthy supply of salt & vinegar chips, nacho

cheese, and energy drinks, I've decided to retrace my steps which led my musical tastes to where they are today.

My tastes are ever-changing and ever-expanding, yet I have "grown" out of many bands along the way, and I'm sure

many of us had. Don't be afraid to admit that you liked Korn or Slipknot before Immortal or Darkthrone. Almost

everybody started out with some form of mainstream shit metal. We didn't all just jump right into listening to

Mutiilation. No, we followed what likely resembles a path of progression as we discovered the different metal

subgenres, their history, the prominent bands, etc.

Nowadays, this has gotten very easy with the explosion in popularity of the internet and file sharing. We can get

virtually any recording free of charge and within minutes. So, tell us of your journey and how you got to where you

are today. Hell, this might even help some people who are interested in expanding their metal horizons as well as

being a complete time-waster!

Ever since I was a little boy I've been listening to rock and roll music. My father listens to many of the classic

heavy metal bands (Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Ozzy). I remember riding in the car, listening to the music. I

enjoyed it so much that I used to beg to go for car rides. I didn't know what any of it was, or what it was called,

of course, so I just called it what I thought of it: "The Loud Bands." I remember fooling with the radio, and when a

rock band came on I would exclaim "Dad! Look! Listen to how loud this band is!"

We used to sit out on our porch, and he would let me choose music to play from his computer. He taught me how to use

peer-to-peer programs like Morpheus and Limewire to find music. I used to love sitting on the porch on weekends, and

my favorites were always Van Halen, AC/DC, Judas Priest, and especially, Metallica. Metallica was by far my favorite

band when I was younger. I would tell my friends about how awesome they were, and they were most impressed. I

remember when I went on a 4th grade field trip, and I brought my CD player with The Black Album to listen to on the

way to our destination. I let my friend listen to it for a bit, and although I got annoyed at his begging to listen

more, I'm glad he enjoyed it.

Then came Christmas time. I looked under the tree after sneaking to it early in the morning, and let out a little

squeal of excitement. Under that tree was a laptop addressed to me. I had always wanted a computer of my own, and I

finally had it! I excitingly set it up, and downloaded Limewire right away and got to downloading my own music.

However, things started to go downhill from here. This is when I discovered the mainstream, and more importantly,

rap. I was going to a new school, and most of my friends listened to rap. I was trying very hard to "fit in," and

soon my burned CDs were filled with mainstream rap music.

That next Christmas I recieved an iPod, and as a result my listening hours shot up faster than a herion addict fresh

out of rehab. I was constantly listening to music. Then, one day, my dad asked me to watch a video on Youtube of a

concert he was at when he was a teenager. It was a video of Judas Priest performing "The Green Manalishi." I thought

it was the coolest thing since Pokemon Yellow. The guitar work especially impressed me, and that night I downloaded

all the Judas Priest that Limewire had in stock. They soon became almost all I listened to. We started to listen to

music on our porch again, a tradition that had stopped years before, and I regrew my love for the classic 80s glam

and 70s hard rock bands. Deep Purple, Guns n Roses, Dokken, and Led Zeppelin were among my newest discoveries at

the time. I started to watch VH1 Classic non-stop, and used to wish I was born earlier as to be a part of the growing

music movement of that era.

I was constantly downloading everything I could find in relation to heavy metal, and soon I found myself in a local

FYE. I went to the heavy metal section, and blindly picked out a CD. It was the band "Aborted" with their album

The Archaic Abbatoir. I hated it. I ended up smashing the CD case for fun and using the disk as a frisbee.

However, buying this disk was one of the best things I've done in my life. Along with the shitty album came a

sampler disk with many different bands that I had never heard of on it. these will sound familiar to you, but it

included Napalm Death, Bloodbath, and Swallow the sun among others. Though I disliked many of the bands on the disk,

I was extremely impressed with Swallow the Sun's song "Deadly Nightshade." I listened to it over and over on loop,

and never got sick of it. It sounded so...melancholy, and when I listened to it I imagined great cathedral gardens

with vines hanging down from walls of stone. It was thought provoking, and I loved it.

I was browsing the net one day, and found out about the "world's biggest heavy metal festival," called Wacken. I was

interested, to say the least, and searched "Wacken" on youtube. I came across this video:

I was most impressed by the musicianship, which I thought sounded very evil. The vocals, I thought, were awful, and

I stand incorrected. But, alas, I was interested. I downloaded the discography, and started reading up on the

history of the band. I read their Wikipedia page, and lo and behold, the famous "incident" came up. Now, I was a

Catholic at the time, so this band really terrified me. I would listen to De Mysteriis Dom Sathans at night,

watching shadows bounce across my ceiling from outside, and I almost shit myself on numerous occasions. I was

impressed, to say the least. The history of the band cleared the way for my expedition into the genre of black

metal. I learned about the Norwegian scene, and Hellvette, and the Black Metal Inner Circle. I started listening to

the classic black metal releases, including the Burzum s/t album, Immortal's Blizzard Beasts, and

Darkthrone's Panzerfaust. My favorite album, though, was Gorgoroth's Antichrist, because it sounded

especially "evil."

Around this time is when my friend told me about a new way of downloading music, called "torrenting." I figured it

out, and this is what I had been waiting for. I was sick of downloading and entire album song-by-song, and now I

could download the entire thing, in good quality, from the click of a button. It was also around this time that I

discovered metal websites. Somehow I found a site called The Metal Crypt and their

batallion of thorough metal reviews and editorials, as well as an interactive forum (which I lurked). they also have

an in-depth description of the metal genres and the history behind them, as well as the essential bands and the

pioneers of the genre. I checked out all of these, and liked something from mostly every genre (except for Gothic.

God I hate Gothic metal).

I then joined many other internet forums and it's all history from there. I discovered many forms of underground

music, and formed my own opinions on them, and found out how to use code in Google to find almost any album I want

up for download. Of course, I still like to buy albums, but without the internet and file sharing, I wouldn't have

near the knowledge of metal I have today.

So, enlighten us Smile. Tell us of your musical expedition, of your journey Into the Cave.

P.S. - Sorry it's double spaced. I wrote this in a .txt file and then copied it over. I can't be fucked to check it for grammatical errors, so it's not perfect.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10786
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Mon May 17, 2010 4:42 pm

tl;dr
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Mon May 17, 2010 4:46 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
tl;dr

This.

Also the line spacing is retarded.
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Mon May 17, 2010 4:50 pm

The thing that that separates Dies and I is that he's serious while I am not. I'll type something up later today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Mon May 17, 2010 4:53 pm

I only did this out of pure boredom.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11757
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Mon May 17, 2010 5:11 pm

Very well written MC, well I'm going to take my shot at this and hope to be half as awesome and entertaining as yours was.

My musical journey started roughly in the 8th grade. Prior to then I had really never payed much of a thought to music

listening to mostly country in the car with my parents or pop rock on the radio.

I found a few things I really enjoyed here and there but in all honesty nothing jumped out at me nor did it stick with me

and my music mostly consisted of soundtracks to films I enjoyed. This changed in the 8th grade when my best friend

started dating a girl who was into Green Day. They were the first band I truly fell in love with and to this day am still a die

hard fan. It was fast, loud, vulgar and most of all fun and exciting to me. I remember to this day being told I was going to

hell while wearing a Green Day shirt in my school (lets you know how back water of a town I live in huh?). From that point

I started exploring a bit and discovered some of my own bands like Seether, My Chemical Romance, and Disturbed. A lot

of the stuff that was popular with the off crowd in my high school. I did this for about a year and at the start of my 9th

grade year I met a new kid wearing a Pantera shirt. He introduced me to bands like Slipknot, Nine Inch Nails, Pantera,

Manson, HIM, ect. And I began to hunt for more and more bands. You have to understand that I had dial up still at this

point so the internet was a bit foreign to me. So I bought magazines like Revolver and Metal Edge to search for more and

more extreme bands. This way I got into a lot of the late 90's early 00's metalcore scene. Bleeding Through, KSE, and

Hatebreed started to fill my speakers. In this time I did "fall off the wagon" so to speak a few times getting into some

"emo" and post hardcore which I am still an avid fan of as most of you know. But each time I forayed into a new genre I

was called back into metal stronger jumping into Cannibal Corpse, Opeth, and In Flames. It was at this time, back in the

old black and white pages of Metal Edge I came across an article on Dimmu Borgir. They seemed other worldly and evil to

me. And in the next trip I took to the mall I found the fated "Metal for the Masses" sampler at Hottopic that had Alt Lys

Svunnet Hen on it. I bought it and was immediately absorbed in the most evil music I had ever heard and on the next trip

tracked down a copy of Stormblast. I became hooked and immediately started buying anything similar to this band. Soon

after I also began my foray into the classics like Priest, Sabbath, and Maiden. These just fortified my love of metal. In

10th grade I finally got good internet and started to discover the net finding the Metal Horde forum. There I met people

like Dies and PoS and began to really develop my tastes getting into doom, death, thrash, and sludge. While black metal

remained somewhat elusive to me despite enjoying little parts of it. Here I also met my friend Amy who more than any

other person has been a major influence in my musical taste. She went so far as to send me a 5gig data disk full of black

metal discographies and helped me wander through it. Some of those albums to this day are still some of my favorites.

Carpathian Forest, Gorgoroth, Trelldom, Jotunspor, Isengard. I became enthralled. Now my musical taste continues to

grow and refine itself. Punk has joined in as a second nature as well as melancholy rock and goth which all hold places in

my heart. But nothing has been as strong of an influence on my person as metal and it's been one hell of a journey so

far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Mon May 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Kick ass master ..+ REP
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16054
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Mon May 17, 2010 6:01 pm

I'll read this in a bit when I have more time, and write up my own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9790
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Mon May 17, 2010 6:32 pm

I read it all. Pretty awesome MasterCthulhu.

For me it started with music in my dad's car as well. He would play rock, traditional metal, and thrash metal. Stuff like Rush, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, and I really don't remember all of it but it was rock. AC/DC, Dio, etc. My mom on the other hand played, what I mostly remember, Disturbed and Slipknot which I really liked.

I didn't first start listening to music on my own until I got a computer though (great resource for that kind of thing). This was during the 5th-6th grade period I believe. I would borrow CDs and three of my first bands were, oddly enough, Judas Priest, AC/DC, and definitely Van Halen. Iron Maiden too. I would listen to these bands a lot and I also discovered Slipknot and Disturbed on Yahoo! Launch (I didn't know the names) so I started listening to them as well. I remember one time I randomly ran into the Nile video, "Sarcophagus." I remember it was really weird...yet something about it told me, "Some day I'm going to get into this." Anyways my 6th-8th grade period of comprised of traditional metal, nu-metal, and black metal.
Some bands I remember:
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Mudvayne
Slipknot
Disturbed
Cradle of Filth
Gorgoroth
Dimmu Borgir
Dark Tranquility

Judas Priest's /Stained Class/ was my first album and I fell in love with it. Also I should note here that I still love virtually all the music I loved in the past. I remember Cradle of Filth's cover of "The Fire Still Burns" was the first black metal song I heard in the 6th grade, and I loved it immediately. Gorgoroth was excellent and the song "Ritual" was fantastically evil. I really didn't mind any of the thematic nature. The more thematic the better. Dimmu Borgir was very cool too. Since I used limewire I became acquainted with all their cool songs, except "Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse." I was never too into that song. It's all right. More like "In Death's Embrace," "Kings of the Carnival Creation," "Burn In Hell (cover)," and especially "Mourning Palace." I loved "Mourning Palace."

Towards the end of 8th grade I took notice of metalcore and became of a fan of Between the Buried and Me and Unearth. In the 9th grade I expanded on metalcore a lot but around the 10th grade was when I started to get into death metal. I don't remember what the first bands I got into were but I got into a lot of it pretty fast. I remember kids wanted to borrow my ipod to hear things like Cannibal Corpse and the such. In the 10th-11th grade period I discovered things like Marduk, Xasthur, and Anaal Nathrakh which were all really excellent. I was still using limewire and bearshare. I never used torrents but I started using direct downloads eventually.

In the 12th grade I discovered Mayhem. Well I already knew about them but on my ipod I had like mostly rap songs and just a few songs that were actually by the band, and it was just so mixed and obscure that I never really took notice. One day I did after morbid curiosity, and fell in love with the band after hearing "Freezing Moon." I also heard /Ordo Ad Chao/ which was absolutely amazing.

After 12th grade my musical tastes started to really expand and continue to do so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14932
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Mon May 17, 2010 6:33 pm

TL:i read all of it

damn master. solid post. blackstar as well.
i dont think ill write my own. too long, and i cant remember much
maybe one day soon i will....

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Mon May 17, 2010 6:37 pm

All righty ladies and gents, this is pretty much how it goes for me. Don't think I started paying too much attention to music until I was like in the 6th grade or somewhere along the lines of that. I was going through my dad's CDs, most of which were Spanish music and whatnot. Then I came across Deep Purple's Machine Head and I instantly fell in love. Never before had I heard such awesomeness. From there I started to explore more classic rock bands such as Iron Butterfly, Queen, Pink Floyd, and etc. Then in middle school, somewhere around the 7th grade or so I got into professional wrestling. I instantly loved Triple H because not only did I like his character, but because I found his entrance/theme music to be pretty awesome. When I found out it was by Motorhead I tried to get my hands on every Motorhead song I could find on Limewire. Through them I was also introduced to Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Dio, Anthrax, Megadeth, and etc. I pretty much thought I had found the holy grail of music by then. Then I discovered Venom, Slayer and Sepultura, and I was like "whoa." Then around the 8th grade I started playing Phantasy Star Online and I met this guy Ant (whom I'm still friends with/is one of my current band members). I told him I liked metal and stuff, and so he introduced me to Startovarius, Sonata Arctica, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, and Arcturus. I really really enjoyed those bands and I asked him to introduce me to more stuff, and so I learned of Therion, Ayreon, but most importantly, Emperor. I was amazed by Emperor and I asked him what type of music it was and that I wanted more of it. From there i got into some black metal such as Satyricon, older Arcturus, ...and Oceans, Aborym, Ulver, and Burzum. Never got into Mayhem during this time but I thought their back story was pretty cool. Enter high school and I started to lurk the metal board on GameFAQS, aka 235. Up until this point I thought death metal was shitty and it lacked the awesomeness of black metal. That was until I came across Cryptopsy's None So Vile. For some reason that album opened my eyes and showed me how fucking awesome death metal is. From there I got into like Death, Morbid Angel, Nile, Necrophagist, and stuff. Then I just wanted to explore more and more and kept asking my friend Ant and 235 for recommendations. It wasn't until my sophomore year in high school though that my friend introduced me to Agalloch. Never before had a band inspired me to do so much (including write music). Funny enough just as I get into them I find Ashes Against the Grain at my local Best Buy and that was the first album I had ever bought. Around that time I also met my friend Mike through Ant (who is also now a bandmate) and he introduced me to more death metal and some prog metal. Then around junior year I got into tech death shit like Gorod, Anata, Spawn of Posession, and some more osdm. Kinds stagnated here up until senior year where I started to fall in love with really fucked up black metal like Deathspell Omega, Blut aus Nord, The Axis of Perdition, etc and stuff like Gorguts too. Then things have been progressing from there on and I got into different genres like neo-folk, dark ambient, EBM, and even rap. Pretty much my taste in music has evolved through my friend's influence and 235. If not for them I'd probably be listening to shitty Nu Metal and Metalcore right about now.

Last edited by Taxer666 on Mon May 17, 2010 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Mon May 17, 2010 6:39 pm

and that would be the most ironic thing of all taxer....you liking shit stuff haha

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Mon May 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Yeah pretty much, made a small edit too
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Mon May 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Looks like we all share similar stories Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16054
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Mon May 17, 2010 8:33 pm

It's always hard to do these kinds of things and be perfectly accurate, but I'll try to remember most of the important events.

Growing up, whenever I would drive in the car with my father, he would play classic rock on the radio (heavy metal, glam metal, classic rock) and I would absorb all of that kind of music. I remember enjoying the music but it didn't really impact me at the time.

By the time I was in the 4th grade, I started getting into "music". I didn't really care for the country my mom played all the time (but I enjoy country a little now) and my Dad's music was enjoyable but I felt the need to fit in. Which unfortunately meant listening to pop radio. I dislike all of the hip-hop and pop songs that came on (except for a few random exceptions), but I enjoyed particularly the new rock bands that were on the radio. Nickleback, Linkin Park, etc. I enjoyed it so I would listen to that one particular radio station hoping to hear one of their songs. It didn't extend much further than that.

By the time I was in the sixth grade, I had moved on to mainstream rock radio. Bands like Godsmack, Staind, Three Days Grace, etc. Again that was simply a stage where I listened to the radio for all of my musical needs. But then I started skateboarding...

After I made a few skater friends, I found out about bands like CKY, HIM, etc. I liked that a lot, and got a burned copy of CKY's "Infiltrate Destroy Rebuild." I loved that album a lot, and would put it on repeat (being my only actual CD and all.) Somehow, I think using the Sirius radio that was on my cable box, i discovered bands like Clutch, The 69 Eyes, and Bloodhound Gang which I enjoyed but never really got into like we would say we're into things today.

Then I was introduced to The Doors. I don't remember how, I think it was from a Tony Hawk game actually. I heard the song "Break on Through" and was addicted. I had a walmart gift card lying around, and I used it to download that song along with the song "Peace Frog" which had been on the soundtrack for a different Tony Hawk game that came out later. I was addicted. The music touched me like no other. After that I picked up a two disc compilation album, and my love for The Doors has only grown since then.

But thanks to The Doors, i started to rediscover all of the old band my Dad used to listen to, and more. I was a HUGE classic rock fan, and would listen to pretty much any old band from the 60s, 70s, or 80s (along with some nineties grunge.) As I progressed, I got into the heavier bands more. Black Sabbath, Metallica, Judas Priest, Blue Oyster Cult, Megadeth, Motley Crue, Dio, and Iron Maiden were among my favorites. I desired more, but couldn't find it in the older bands.

Then, using youtube (searching for the fastest guitar solos) I stumbled upon byd's video, where I learned about HammerFall, Sonata Arctica, Sabaton, etc. I had listened to HammerFall before after stumbling upon a video on youtube, but that video helped me break into the modern era of metal. After getting into bands with "harsh vocals" (thanks to a certain Brute and this here forum) I started listening to basically everything in the genre of metal (besides most -core.) The rest is basically history, I like every genre of metal our there at least to some extent.

I am really happy that I bypassed the whole nu-metal stage, although I did like System of a Down and still do a little bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rockrocks
A Scholar

Number of posts : 289
Hedonistic Glory : 3051
Joined In : 2010-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Mon May 17, 2010 9:04 pm

Well, here it goes:

When I was younger the house was always filled with smooth jazz. It helped me sleep, calmed me down and did good stuff, but I did want to see what rock was like. Whenever there was a radio was around, I would change it to the soft rock station because I liked it. The station did bad things because it got me into the first band I liked: *gulp* Linkin Park. Yeah, yeah, I know. I loved LP, and was actually fortunate enough to get one of their CD's. However, I soon found out one of the best radio stations, and it is still my favorite: KRXQ. I enjoyed it a lot and found my next drug: System of a Down. I loved all the catchy lines and all, it just felt good. However, once school started I had to focus again, so music was in vein. I had such a crappy year, but one good thing did come out of it; When I was watching RS vids (Shhh) I found a song I liked: It was from AC/DC. The school year was almost over, so thus vacation. My year truly sucked, but my Dad was kind enough to let me use his Ipod. It had probably what began my journey; Van Halen. I loved Van Halen and it was beautiful. So I listened to it a lot and my folks were telling me of more bands. They lent me money to buy my first awesome CD: Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. My mom was looking around and saw Dark Side of the moon. She told me it was amazing, and let me listen. It was good, and then later they showed me Led Zeppelin. I was content with all these bands, AC/DC being, and still is, my favorite. My Dad being the huge VH fan knew they were coming to our town and bought us tickets. It was a fantastic show and I'm happy he did that for me. Anyways, after a while My bro and I learned about Guitar Hero (I forget why we wanted it/how we heard about it) So for Xmas we got GH3. My God it was fun, and it taught me the ways of one band: Iron Maiden. I heard number of the Beast from there and thought "This is awesome!" So I youtubed it and learned the pure awesomeness of Maiden. SOmewhere along the way I re-learned the radio and discovered the one and only: Metallica! I loved Master of Puppets and Fade to Black, and I bingeed on each band around each time (or something). Then I rediscovered KRXQ and discovered a new band: Motley Crue. After that, I binged on Glam metal for a looooooooong time. Through out that, I learned about VH1 classic from a friend. And I binged on that as well. After learning that Glam metal isn't the best choice, I learned about Thrash metal (or something); but that didn't last long. Then one day an abomination-blessing occured. I heard on TV a song I liked but it was a Jonas Brothers song. (inb4flames). After that, I needed to redeem myself. I remember hearing from a forum of some metal band; Amon Amarth. I thought it would be a redemption, so I googled AA and I heard Cry of the Blackbirds. It was fantastic. I learned about similar bands (In Flames and such) Then I try out Children of Bodom and it opened me to a lot of stuff too. I continued to hear from sources about numerous things; Music choice showed me Evergrey, I got linked up with Death too, and soon when I was browsing a forum a guy posts Mirror Mirror by Blind Guardian. The song grew on me, and I soon loved it, and discovered Blind Guardian.

Some jazz like that.
Dunno if it's fully accurate; but it's close.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9790
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Mon May 17, 2010 9:13 pm

Nice rockrocks. I love Amon Amarth personally. Favorite melodic death metal band.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Mon May 17, 2010 11:18 pm

i love that Axe referenced me. im so glad

and i love rockrocks, but i feel like at the end of his story he would say "and that was all in the last week"
love ya buddy, cant wait for you to discover more things

My story. Ill try to keep it short.
I never liked music up until probably High School. I mean, i liked music, but i had no taste of my own until i was at least a freshman. My parents love Billy Joel, The Beatles, Beach Boys, Paul Simon, all that stuff. I think that gave me some sort of influence into the person i am today, but i cant put a finger to it
I loved KLOS, a classic rock station where i live. I remember hearing Enter Sandman by Metallica, and that basically was my starting point for all things metal. I loved the heavy riffs, i loved the insane solos, i loved the bark of Hetfield. Metallica was my first true love. I got Metallica as my first album, closely followed by Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets. On one of my other CD purchasing adventures, i picked up Rage Against the Machine's self titled album, Rise Against's Sufferer and the Witness, Godsmack's self titled album. Ah, and 2 Slipknot albums, Slipknot, and the live album. These albums set for the motion for what i like today. I also was a major fan of Linkin Park at the time, as well as System of a Down.
I must have been in my history class, and i was talking to my now deceased friend (suicide...such a shame) He basically got me started on more serious harsh vocals. He burned me quite possibly the most eye opening CD ever for me. It had Static-X's Shadow Zone, assorted Korn songs, and i think some Disturbed.
It was also he, that showed me the next band to blow my mind. Avenged Sevenfold's Waking the Fallen. I still love it to this day. (it is also the only a7x stuff i like)
I was also helped out by another friend that helped to show me the "classics" such as Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, and Children of Bodom. At the time, i was discovering Power Metal, Stratovarius, and didnt pay much attention. I grew to accept all those bands
I also remember recently after BTBAM's Colors cam out, my friend and i were on a backpacking trip and he showed it to me, and i loathed it. Funny, they are now my favorite band in the fucking world.

Ever since then, it has been hard work and you guys that helped me to being to like Death, Prog, some Black, and Melodic and all the in-between. Thanks ya'll

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
rockrocks
A Scholar

Number of posts : 289
Hedonistic Glory : 3051
Joined In : 2010-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Mon May 17, 2010 11:26 pm

Thanks VR, thanks Brute. You guys make me feel so warm and fuzzy inside Very Happy

Naa, That whole thing takes a span for a long time. I learned about AC/DC and all about 3ish years ago. I'm happy I joined here though. I wouldn't have learned of the bands shown here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11389
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Tue May 18, 2010 10:36 am

I'll read these and write one up later. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Palpi of Lor
Pure Class

Number of posts : 594
Hedonistic Glory : 3376
Joined In : 2010-05-03
Location : GETTING MY FAT RUBBED BY IB IN THE DEPTHS OF HELL!!

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Wed May 19, 2010 8:09 pm

II was raised up around music, from 4th grade, I played trumpet and I think that orchestral symphonic sound has always kept with me. I started out being obsessed with deep purple. When I hit 6 grade, I became obsessed with ska/reggae/punk bands like streetlight manifesto, reel big fish, less than jake then i started listening to similar~ bands likes suburban legends, westbound train, the expendables, among criminals etc. 2 Years ago, as a sophmore, LOR (pete) introduced me to kamelot, and i kinda liked them. I pretty much listened to the haunting. For some odd reason in the summer between junior and senior year, i became obsessed with kamelot. I then started listening to other bands recommended by LOR, like blind guardian, ensiferum, equilibrium and many many more. We actually didnt like sonata arctica at first, because we just listened to their new stuff off "the days of grays" and "Unia" but then we found their earlier stuff and adored it. I do actually like their new stuff now though.

I think i like symphonic power metal (epic metal) because I have always been around symphonic instruments in bands, ska (brass section) and it seems to fit in metal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25351
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Wed May 19, 2010 8:10 pm

I wrote an essay, dunno if its still on my comp

Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11389
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   Thu May 20, 2010 7:45 pm

Here goes:

I was never really into any kind of music until I was roundabout 11 or 12, apart from a few years where I was brainwashed by my dad to like mainstream pop, hip-hop and rock (I try not to think about that too much LOL). I casually liked some mainstream rock bands such as Nickelback and Green Day but that was about it. Now I'll admit, what got me started on my interest in metal was Guitar Hero 3. I heard Guns N' Roses' Welcome To The Jungle and thought it was the greatest song I'd ever heard. Luckily, my dad, although he mainly likes mainstream pop shit, also has a collection of CDs from various kinds of artists, and happened to own Guns N' Roses' Greatest Hits. I listened to that album so much I'm surprised it still works. After some digging on the internet, I started to get into bands like Aerosmith, Nirvana and Van Halen. I finally found a band to simply fall in love with when my guitar teacher taught me AC/DC's Back In Black as one of my first songs. I looked them up some more, and, as you guys can proabably tell, never looked back. They're still my favourite band today, and I doubt that'll change. Through my mum, I got into a few older mainstream alternative rock bands like U2 and (less shamefully) The Red Hot Chili Peppers. I never listened to any metal though (apart from the odd Motorhead song) until I found that my dad had Metallica's Death Magnetic stored on his computer. I listened to a few tracks and thought it was good but hardly as amazing as I'd heard they were. A month or so later I, on impulse whilst in my local CD shop, bought Ride The Lightning. I still don't know why I bought it, but I'm glad I did. I brought it home and was instantly hooked as soon as Fight Fire With Fire started up. I later went back and listened to Death Magnetic again, and loved it. Metallica were the first metal band I really got into, but they weren't the band that kick started my interest in metal. That didn't happen until I discovered Iron Maiden. I found that my dad had their Edward The Great compilation CD gathering dust in a CD rack and listened to it. After listening to it just once, I was hooked. I think it was the live version of Fear Of The Dark that did it for me. I'd never heard anything like it before, it showed how powerful they could be live. Maiden inspired me to get into other metal bands such as Megadeth, Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne.

The rest, you guys all know. I joined here and got into a fuckload of modern metal and I'm fucking loving it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)   

Back to top Go down

Your Metal Journey (warning: wall of text)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1