Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Scientists have now created artifical life

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10842
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 1:35 am

Scientists in the US have succeeded in developing the first synthetic living cell.

The researchers constructed a bacterium's "genetic software" and transplanted it into a host cell.

The resulting microbe then looked and behaved like the species "dictated" by the synthetic DNA.

The advance, published in Science, has been hailed as a scientific landmark, but critics say there are dangers posed by synthetic organisms.

The researchers hope eventually to design bacterial cells that will produce medicines and fuels and even absorb greenhouse gases.

Craig Venter defends the synthetic living cell

The team was led by Dr Craig Venter of the J Craig Venter Institute (JCVI) in Maryland and California.

He and his colleagues had previously made a synthetic bacterial genome, and transplanted the genome of one bacterium into another.

Now, the scientists have put both methods together, to create what they call a "synthetic cell", although only its genome is truly synthetic.

Dr Venter likened the advance to making new software for the cell.

The researchers copied an existing bacterial genome. They sequenced its genetic code and then used "synthesis machines" to chemically construct a copy.

Dr Venter told BBC News: "We've now been able to take our synthetic chromosome and transplant it into a recipient cell - a different organism.

"As soon as this new software goes into the cell, the cell reads [it] and converts into the species specified in that genetic code."

The new bacteria replicated over a billion times, producing copies that contained and were controlled by the constructed, synthetic DNA.

"This is the first time any synthetic DNA has been in complete control of a cell," said Dr Venter.
'New industrial revolution'

Dr Venter and his colleagues hope eventually to design and build new bacteria that will perform useful functions.
WATTS WHAT...
Continue reading the main story Susan Watts

Even some scientists worry we lack the means to weigh up the risks such novel organisms might represent, once set loose

Susan Watts BBC Newsnight science editor Read Susan Watts's thoughts Send us your comments

"I think they're going to potentially create a new industrial revolution," he said.

"If we can really get cells to do the production that we want, they could help wean us off oil and reverse some of the damage to the environment by capturing carbon dioxide."

Dr Venter and his colleagues are already collaborating with pharmaceutical and fuel companies to design and develop chromosomes for bacteria that would produce useful fuels and new vaccines.

But critics say that the potential benefits of synthetic organisms have been overstated.

Dr Helen Wallace from Genewatch UK, an organisation that monitors developments in genetic technologies, told BBC News that synthetic bacteria could be dangerous.

"If you release new organisms into the environment, you can do more harm than good," she said.

"By releasing them into areas of pollution, [with the aim of cleaning it up], you're actually releasing a new kind of pollution.

"We don't know how these organisms will behave in the environment."
Continue reading the main story

The risks are unparalleled, we need safety evaluation for this kind of radical research and protections from military or terrorist misuse

Julian Savulescu Oxford University ethics professor Profile: Craig Venter Ethics concern over synthetic cell

Dr Wallace accused Dr Venter of playing down the potential drawbacks.

"He isn't God," she said, "he's actually being very human; trying to get money invested in his technology and avoid regulation that would restrict its use."

But Dr Venter said that he was "driving the discussions" about the regulations governing this relatively new scientific field and about the ethical implications of the work.

He said: "In 2003, when we made the first synthetic virus, it underwent an extensive ethical review that went all the way up to the level of the White House.

"And there have been extensive reviews including from the National Academy of Sciences, which has done a comprehensive report on this new field.

"We think these are important issues and we urge continued discussion that we want to take part in."
Ethical discussions

Dr Gos Micklem, a geneticist from the University of Cambridge, said that the advance was "undoubtedly a landmark" study.

But, he said, "there is already a wealth of simple, cheap, powerful and mature techniques for genetically engineering a range of organisms. Therefore, for the time being, this approach is unlikely to supplant existing methods for genetic engineering".

The ethical discussions surrounding the creation of synthetic or artificial life are set to continue.

Professor Julian Savulescu, from the Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics at the University of Oxford, said the potential of this science was "in the far future, but real and significant".

"But the risks are also unparalleled," he continued. "We need new standards of safety evaluation for this kind of radical research and protections from military or terrorist misuse and abuse.

"These could be used in the future to make the most powerful bioweapons imaginable. The challenge is to eat the fruit without the worm."

The advance did not pose a danger in the form of bio-terrorism, Dr Venter said.

"That was reviewed extensively in the US in a report from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and a Washington defence think tank, indicating that there were very small new dangers from this.

"Most people are in agreement that there is a slight increase in the potential for harm. But there's an exponential increase in the potential benefit to society," he told BBC's Newsnight.

"The flu vaccine you'll get next year could be developed by these processes," he added.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10132762.stm

Holy. Fucking. Shit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9846
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 4:40 am

I saw it. I'm surprised...that thing is pretty big. Could probably see it with your naked eye if it was on a white sheet of paper.

I'm more a physical sciences person so I'm skipping over the biology stuff. You might notice I only commented on the diameter of all things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11445
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 9:51 am

Jurassic Park. That's all I'm saying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11813
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 5:59 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16110
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 6:05 pm

Can't wait until dumbass scientists create some fucking disease that kills everyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 6:17 pm

If they were so dumb they wouldn't be able to create synthetic life
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25407
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 6:47 pm

Hurry up and make a robot that can do dishes

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 6:49 pm

breakyoudown wrote:

They already have that byd, it's called called a dishwasher
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 6:49 pm

It doesn't put em away

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 6:50 pm

Just leave them there in the rack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 6:51 pm

Taxer666 wrote:

Well they were dumb enough to develop nuclear and biological weapons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 6:54 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
Just leave them there in the rack

Hear hear!
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14988
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 6:57 pm

Axe wrote:
Can't wait until dumbass scientists create some fucking disease that kills everyone.

Taxer666 wrote:
Zing

Taxer666 wrote:
breakyoudown wrote:

They already have that byd, it's called called a WOMAN
fixed

sorry ladies. i had to. cant let my men down

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 7:00 pm

The only thing that's funny about that is that mom just told me to go empty the dishwasher >_> so you might be onto something there Brute.
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 7:02 pm

blackstar wrote:
The only thing that's funny about that is that mom just told me to go empty the dishwasher >_> so you might be onto something there Brute.

well, a woman did get the dishwasher empty....it just wasnt by her doing...so i think science has prevailed!!!

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 7:05 pm

Brute wrote:
Axe wrote:

Taxer666 wrote:
Zing

My comeback that you failed to see wins.

And I think you're at the point where you disagree with me even if I say something completely sensible. Plus how could the fact that they're smart make it so they know the outcome of creating artificial life? They don't. No test will tell them what it will do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 7:10 pm

Well, since they know the genome, so they can choose genes that influence the particular behavior they want.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 7:36 pm

Nothing is going to fuck us up unless it's made to fuck us up on purpose.
And it will happen.
And it has happened.
And it'll suck.
It's inevitable though.
And life will move on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Technological instrumentalism ftw
Technological determinism is silly

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 9:06 pm

VacuousReality wrote:
Nothing is going to fuck us up unless it's made to fuck us up on purpose.
And it will happen.
And it has happened.
And it'll suck.
It's inevitable though.
And life will move on.

Pretentious/10
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 21, 2010 9:25 pm

Man, in 50 years from now, will there be any manual labour jobs for humans?

link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10509
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sat May 22, 2010 2:33 am

Holy FUCK

The damn apocolypse will be here soon!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11229
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sat May 22, 2010 6:41 pm

is anyone else thinking "I AM LEGEND shit is gonna go down?"

this is actually prety freakin scary to me. i honestly dont know if its good or bad or what to think. i feel its unnatrual though and feel like it should be wrong. i feel like we are asking for trouble when we fuck with nature like that. ehhhh.... i dont know what to think!!!!!!!!!!!! SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sat May 22, 2010 7:09 pm

I Am Legend was a good film...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sat May 22, 2010 7:14 pm

thats not what i meant. i meant that what happened in i am legend will happen with this new life stuff

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sat May 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Nah, I doubt it. I just felt like saying that. LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sat May 22, 2010 7:19 pm

o. my bad. i agree then- I Am Legend is a good movie. Very Happy

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sat May 22, 2010 7:21 pm

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sat May 22, 2010 7:49 pm

Darkflame wrote:
Spoiler:

Worst part of the movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sat May 22, 2010 7:55 pm

Something's wrong when an animal's death affects you more than a person's
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sat May 22, 2010 7:56 pm

If I had the choice to save a dog or a person, I would save the dog every time. Dogs are innocent. People ruin the world. lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sat May 22, 2010 8:05 pm

Well now it doesn't affect me one way or another but I used to be way more affected by an animal's death than by a human's death when I heard about it.

Did you know there are people who lose their homes and lock their dog in their closet before leaving? Later they'll find the dog dead inside with tons of scratch marks on the door. Most dogs are just so nice I hate to see them betrayed and abandoned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sat May 22, 2010 8:28 pm

No such thing as pure innocence in a philosophical sense, only in a legal sense. Besides, people have the capacity to contribute to society while dogs do not. At least people are your own damn species.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sat May 22, 2010 8:30 pm

Yes but dogs are fuzzy and warm, and they don't create fake life to kill us all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sat May 22, 2010 8:30 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
No such thing as pure innocence in a philosophical sense, only in a legal sense. Besides, people have the capacity to contribute to society while dogs do not. At least people are your own damn species.

Here we go...

Just don't even reply.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sat May 22, 2010 8:33 pm

Axe wrote:
Yes but dogs are fuzzy and warm, and they don't create fake life to kill us all.

VacuousReality wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:

Here we go...

Just don't even reply.

Bad trolls are bad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sat May 22, 2010 8:35 pm

So you troll and then when others don't fall into your troll-trap you call them a troll?

Well played.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sat May 22, 2010 9:47 pm

Jeez I just said it was sad when the dog died. LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rockrocks
A Scholar

Number of posts : 289
Hedonistic Glory : 3107
Joined In : 2010-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sat May 22, 2010 11:19 pm

Artificial life?

*shudders*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sun May 23, 2010 1:40 am

Man...I want a dog

LOR

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sun May 23, 2010 2:49 am

im a huge dog person and i usually get pissed off when dogs die in movies. it was little different in i am legend though becuase the dog became a zombie thing. it was necessary to kill it in the movie although sad at the same time. as axe said, dogs are fuzzy and warm. their so lovable, its sad to see them suffer. Sad

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Sun May 23, 2010 12:41 pm

It's probably because they're cute and loveable. It's the same when little kids die in films.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Mon May 24, 2010 7:03 pm

anyone seen a boy and his dog?

Last edited by Gravy Gulper on Mon May 24, 2010 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheskyisblueFTW
The Magician

Number of posts : 2722
Hedonistic Glory : 6736
Joined In : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Mon May 24, 2010 7:14 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/DX.Robots
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Mon May 24, 2010 8:12 pm

fucking milo

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Mon May 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Nice sig Sky.
Very freaky though lol

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Tue May 25, 2010 9:20 am

Darkflame wrote:
Jurassic Park. That's all I'm saying.
DO WANT!!!
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Tue May 25, 2010 12:39 pm

TheSky'sRageFTW wrote:
Milo?
I hate that motherfucking kid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheskyisblueFTW
The Magician

Number of posts : 2722
Hedonistic Glory : 6736
Joined In : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 28, 2010 6:33 pm

breakyoudown wrote:
Nice sig Sky.
Very freaky though lol

the security cam outside my house caught ghosts on camera.

Darkflame wrote:
TheSky'sRageFTW wrote:
Milo?
I hate that motherfucking kid.

Don't say that! he can fucking hear you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/DX.Robots
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   Fri May 28, 2010 8:14 pm

TheSky'sRageFTW wrote:
breakyoudown wrote:
Nice sig Sky.
Very freaky though lol

the security cam outside my house caught ghosts on camera.
In other words, it's from Doctor Who.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scientists have now created artifical life   

Back to top Go down

Scientists have now created artifical life
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1