Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16108
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:37 am

Agalloch
The people that like them REALLY like them. They are outstanding. A while back I had The Mantle (their sophomore LP) and I didn't think much of it. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't incredibly to me. Their name popped up a few more times around the net and I gave the album another honest listen. I was completely blown away. The Mantle is still my personal favorite by them, but all of their releases are superb, including their EPs which contain a much more experimental and risky sound. The amazing thing about Agalloch, and I have John Haughm to back me up on this, is that their music is striving to be a sound of pure expression, free of influence. Many bands you hear take certain elements from other groups, and I feel that Agalloch minimizes that aspect. The other key thing I love about Agalloch is their completely unique sound. It's unique because of their approach to making music, but also because they blend so many styles together to make Agalloch. Post-rock, black metal, doom metal, folk metal, and noise are all present in some form or another in the music. If you listen to The Grey, a two track EP they release awhile back, you will hear profound post-rock and noise elements. If you listen to Pale Folklore, their debut album, you will hear black metal and folk metal come together. The Mantle features the most folky sound (mind you, it's not the bouncy fun folk sound, it's a much more serious and contemplative sound) of all of Agalloch's albums. The White is an EP that is all straight up neo-folk. The rest of their releases are equally diverse. They deserve world fame for their sound, but they are still in the shadows of the metal world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQHQsxvW5b4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP-_dbT-9Dg&feature=related

Sethian
I'm not sure if this will be as long as Agalloch's explanation, but that might save you some reading. I think Agalloch will have the most extensive explanation, but that's beside the point. Onto Sethian. I found them randomly one time when I was looking at Nightwish sideprojects. The drummer of Nightwish, Jukka Nevalainen, is also the drummer of Sethian. So I looked them up, and I thought it was pretty good so I downloaded their only release, Into the Silence. I listened to it and found it to be very solid. I then learned that Tappio Wilska of Finntroll fame was doing vocals, but they are clean vocals. And let me tell you, he has an excellent voice, both clean and harsh. I listened a few times and before I knew it I had listened to it enough for it to be in my top ten on last.fm. I didn't realize how much I was addicted to their music. I think it has something to do with how much they remind me of Queensryche. The only thing is they have a much darker sensibility. I would consider them to be the twenty first century Queensryche. If only they had more albums....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I03CCAS8xI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcLKKGGPTzk&feature=related (there are only 4 songs on youtube by them)

Vargnatt
I've raved about this band, and I've raved about them, but no one except VR seems to really be impacted by them as much as i am. I think this is easily one of the best black metal projects in existence today, and they don't even have a full length out yet. Two demos, and another one on the way, as well as a full length planned for a later date. But it's simply stunning. The first demo I got by them was Nur ein Traum, and it is simply breathtaking. They take a clear inspiration from Burzum, but I think they improve on the sound greatly. The atmosphere is unmatched. The title track on Nur ein Traum is possibly the best black metal song I've ever heard. It's also very interesting because it's an adapted melody from Chrono Trigger. Nevertheless, they make the song their own. These guys are truly underrated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8MXNt0_SM8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtUDfoJKUNk
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:49 am

more to be added later, possibly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10840
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:57 am

Completely agree with Agalloch, though quite the opposite with the other two bands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25405
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:42 am

I don't think I have the 3rd one
Will manhandle later

Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486686
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:09 am

3 whole bands?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9844
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:12 am

Vargnatt is amazing. I just wish I could find more bands like it in terms of greatness. I remember I had this day I wasn't into much this one time and I listened to Vargnatt and it just completely changed my focus.

With that said I'm downloading Wintergrab RIGHT NOW! What the hell am I doing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:33 pm

I like Agalloch, listen to Vargnatt now and then, buttttt I haven't heard Sethian and will check them out.
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:28 pm

Master Cthulhu wrote:
3 whole bands?

heh heh heh you're a funny man
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:41 pm

Kauan
This is another group that I got into only recently, but they have quickly became one of my favorites. They too are genre benders of sorts, but they have a much more profound post-rock influence, especially on their later albums. That being said, their style is hard to describe, but I would say they are a post-rocky-folky-doom metal band. It's very slow and relaxing music. There are lots of relaxing bands like this out there, but the music really comes together on all of Kauan's releases. Again, clean and harsh vocals both make an appearance, but I'd say I like the clean vocals a lot more. It just creates a better atmosphere I think. Neither of them are bad, however. I think their overall musicianship is the reason they're underrated. They have excellent songwriting, but above all each part knows it's place in the music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv5cKwN5PIY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ5dvpgBVt8

Skyfire
After awhile, I kinda got out of the whole melodeath scene. I still love it, but it's not really diverse enough to keep me occupied for long. Skyfire is one of those bands, however, that stretches the genre and does something interesting. It's still that melodic death metal that you know and love, or hate, but it has a nice progressive twinge and a particular songwriting style that makes it unique. There are even some power metal elements that makes it stand out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp0-bNmC8Lg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEZOjJIYDus

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:52 pm

eeeewwww Melodic Death Metal Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11443
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:42 pm

Damn, that Finntroll guy can sing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bloodbeast
The Cuddle Monster

Number of posts : 1638
Hedonistic Glory : 4904
Joined In : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:34 pm

Axe wrote:
Master Cthulhu wrote:
3 whole bands?

I totally agree with him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:39 pm

Bloodbeast wrote:
Axe wrote:
Master Cthulhu wrote:
3 whole bands?

Axe wrote:

glad we know how to read here at M&E. I wasn't about to write an entire fucking novel lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:41 pm

Axe wrote:

Bloodbeast wrote:
Axe wrote:
Master Cthulhu wrote:
3 whole bands?

Axe wrote:

glad we know how to read here at M&E. I wasn't about to write an entire fucking novel lol
Lol I've yet to add more to my 2 band black/folk metal list that I made over a week ago
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:41 pm

Senrae wrote:
Axe wrote:

Bloodbeast wrote:
Axe wrote:
Master Cthulhu wrote:
3 whole bands?

Axe wrote:

Lol I've yet to add more to my 2 band black/folk metal list that I made over a week ago

I should totally go troll your thread and bitch about how many bands are on it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:46 pm

Axe wrote:
Senrae wrote:
Axe wrote:

Bloodbeast wrote:
Axe wrote:
Master Cthulhu wrote:
3 whole bands?

Axe wrote:

DO IT
Back to top Go down
Bloodbeast
The Cuddle Monster

Number of posts : 1638
Hedonistic Glory : 4904
Joined In : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:47 pm

Senrae wrote:
Axe wrote:
Senrae wrote:
Axe wrote:

Bloodbeast wrote:
Axe wrote:
Master Cthulhu wrote:
3 whole bands?

Axe wrote:

DO IT
Alas, what a diminutive effort it would be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rockrocks
A Scholar

Number of posts : 289
Hedonistic Glory : 3105
Joined In : 2010-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:43 am

Huh, liked Agalloch. Thanks Axe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:58 pm

Liking Agalloch too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:34 pm

Killing Joke is pretty fucking underrated
Good old acid metal

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:58 pm

They really aren't LOL. Anyone who isn't Brute should know who they are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:19 pm

Megadeth is pretty fucking underrated

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:29 pm

Megawho?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:33 pm

Death

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:31 pm

Is that with or without an A?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:43 pm

breakyoudown wrote:

affraid

Anyways, you guys seriously haven't heard of Agalloch?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:46 pm

I'd heard of them, just never really given them a proper listen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10840
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:53 pm

Megadeth is underrated here
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rockrocks
A Scholar

Number of posts : 289
Hedonistic Glory : 3105
Joined In : 2010-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:43 pm

[quote="breakyoudown"]Killing Joke is pretty fucking underrated
Good old acid metal[/quote]
Killing Joke is fantastic. They aren't really metal though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10507
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:58 pm

Too much material, not interesting enough to read, sooooooooooooooooooooooo cool story bro.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:49 pm

Master Cthulhu wrote:
breakyoudown wrote:

affraid

Anyways, you guys seriously haven't heard of Agalloch?

My point Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:56 pm

Abyssmal Sorrow

I got into this band awhile back, when their name popped up at random. I was intrigued by the name of one of their songs so I checked it out. It was so good that I overlooked their misspelled name and downloaded their only full length, titled Lament. It might be a bit of a grower for some of you, especially those who aren't really into black metal and doom metal all that much. But, I found this release to be particularly effective in conveying the intended atmosphere of the performers. It features a beautiful, yet terrifying, marriage of black and doom. The music chugs along slowly, which really allows the listener to grasp the atmosphere fully. Dissonant chords, tortured shrieks, and and overall "muddy" sense of playing intensifies the hopelessness of the genre. I haven't delved too much into this style of blackened funeral doom, but from what I've heard this group has mastered the genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEfnPzWDRD0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYUmcrCgmmo&feature=related

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:26 am

eeeeehhhh

meh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9844
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:20 am

I'm pretty sure Abyssmal Sorrow is the only band that has their general sound/feel. I never understood why they weren't considered part DSBM as well considering the whole depressive acoustic blackness thing, and the distinct light/depression versus despair melodies and all that. Anyways that's not really important. I've listened to Lament at least like 10 times and probably will more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:00 am

They they have a really unique sound, and they pulled off that whole doom/black combo very well
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands   

Back to top Go down

Axe's List of the Most Underrated Bands
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1