Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Putting faith in its place

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10783
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Putting faith in its place   Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:40 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wV_REEdvxo

Rather informative and well done video if I do say so myself
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11170
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:04 am

that is very well done. the problem is, the people that need to learn from the video wont because they are the closed minded ones that push beliefs on others. they will most likely watch 2 seconds of it, and then go, "hes wrong, this doesnt make sense" or they will watch the whole thing without even paying attention. the video never makes fun of peoples beliefs, it just merely exposes the flaws stupid people encounter when they try to force their faith on others. Only the people that agree with the concept to begin will probably be the only people that agree with it. Its just a lesson in humanity almost and its sad that many people wont pay attention because they feel its threatening when it really isnt. at least thats what i got out of it

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16051
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:07 am

I can't watch it right now, but I will later.

And I hate closeminded people, of all types. I get incredibly annoyed when someone tries to force their beliefs on another. I mostly keep to myself about religion, unless someone asks about it or wants to debate certain things. I couldn't care less what someone else believes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9787
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:58 am

Sigh...I get angered by such things far too easily. I do my best not too but I'm not very good at it. Not very proud of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:34 pm

I watched this last night, but I got sleepy after and passed out. Though LOR is right.. um.. if I showed this to my father he will tell me in the beginning that it is wrong and that I will understand the 'right answer' someday because he apparently knows it deep inside or something. I think we all have a right answer inside, one that we recognize so personally as the correct answer.--Well that's what I think lol.

My father wants me to find faith so bad, he says he was just like me when he was my age. He keeps pushing it. I am so tempted to lead him into a trap of 'I ran out of words to say' because he keeps trying to prove that I am wrong to not believe in god, he keeps trying to prove it. x.X I will show this to see how narrow minded he is!!! (Though I am narrow minded too, he just always says stupid things and that I can't prove him wrong :s Like if I don't want chinese food he says "You're just being racist against chinese- and I say "Dad, I am chinese! I just like thai food better!")

Sorry I think I went off-topic. I wonder if Christians have a video called 'Putting Logic in its place'

This whole video reminds me of this site http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:13 pm

That video was very well done, I think it perfectly points out why one should not try to impose their beliefs on others. I also liked that it didn't dismiss religion as a posibility, but rather dismissed any means at this time of proving a greater deity of any kind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D-Lor
Top Lad

Number of posts : 165
Hedonistic Glory : 2898
Joined In : 2010-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:13 pm

I watched this video and it made me sad. It made me sad because it took a major part of my beliefs and expressed it far better than I ever could.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:46 pm

D-Lor wrote:
I watched this video and it made me sad. It made me sad because it took a major part of my beliefs and expressed it far better than I ever could.

FUCK!! and i thought you would have liked it.

D-Lor
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:59 pm

LOR wrote:
D-Lor wrote:

FUCK!! and i thought you would have liked it.

No, I loved it, haha. It just makes me feel bad that I can't express my beliefs as eloquently.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:16 am

its because your a drummer

MarshallEMG
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 1619
Hedonistic Glory : 4898
Joined In : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:52 am

around 7:15 is the dumbest argument ive ever heard
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:57 am

The point was good but the drawn out thought experiment wasn't really necessary. If such letters actually did appear in the sky there would be more concrete arguments revolving around what its cause and meaning could be.

The moral of the story was that arguments from ignorance are invalid though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MarshallEMG
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 1619
Hedonistic Glory : 4898
Joined In : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:06 am

VacuousReality wrote:
The point was good but the drawn out thought experiment wasn't really necessary. If such letters actually did appear in the sky there would be more concrete arguments revolving around what its cause and meaning could be.

So if i see somebody come back from the dead, its more likely to be "alien technology" than a divine power? Im pretty sure the odds are in a divine powers favor, since we dont know aliens exist, and if they do, whos to say they have power to bring someone back from the dead?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:10 am

He wasn't saying it would be alien technology. He was saying such is a possibility. And since such can't really be ruled out, it indeed is a possibility.

I think your analysis of the alien scenario is the same analysis he is making of the divine scenario. Neither can be confirmed solely because no other existing explanation seems to exist. One must argue for their plausibility. Such requires evidence and logic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:42 am

im thinking arbys

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:11 am

I agree with this video solely because it's discouraging people from pushing their beliefs on others. Nothing concerning God can be proven. If one saw an event like that it could mean many things depending on their beliefs. I know if I saw stars line up in the sky to spell out some message of importance like that, I would likely think it was a message from God or a higher being. But it can't be proven, that would just be my natural disposition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D-Lor
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:47 am

MarshallEMG wrote:
VacuousReality wrote:

So if i see somebody come back from the dead, its more likely to be "alien technology" than a divine power? Im pretty sure the odds are in a divine powers favor, since we dont know aliens exist, and if they do, whos to say they have power to bring someone back from the dead?

He didn't say it's more likely. He said it's equally likely.
We do not know that a divine power exists, either.

If you ask me, the alien theory is more likely. There are how many suns in the universe? Surely there are other planets capable of sustaining life. It's very possible that there are other lifeforms out there, and we don't know how technically advanced they may be. Of course, I do not know if there are aliens, but I have reason to believe that there very well may be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:43 am

As a rule of thumb I avoid speculating the probability of unknowns.

The video never suggested the two possibilities had equivalent probabilities. Just that they were both possibilities.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:08 pm

D-Lor wrote:
MarshallEMG wrote:
VacuousReality wrote:

He didn't say it's more likely. He said it's equally likely.
We do not know that a divine power exists, either.

If you ask me, the alien theory is more likely. There are how many suns in the universe? Surely there are other planets capable of sustaining life. It's very possible that there are other lifeforms out there, and we don't know how technically advanced they may be. Of course, I do not know if there are aliens, but I have reason to believe that there very well may be.

VR is right, you can't estimate the probability of things that are unknown. All we can say in that case is that those are both possibilities and that neither has the advantage over the other. It all comes down to personal beliefs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D-Lor
Top Lad

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:44 am

I know, all I'm saying is that the chances of aliens is more measurable than the chances of a god. We see the suns in the universe. We know that there are uncountable numbers of suns in the universe. We know that with a certain distance from a sun, and with the correct circumstances, a planet can sustain life. This is within our realm of existence. The idea of a god, however, is outside that realm. This is why I personally believe that there is a greater chance of aliens. I still think it's pretty damn unlikely, of course. Just making discussion.

When I said that the video states there were equal chances, I didn't mean that it was an equal probability of either. I meant that both options are not measurable, and are equal in that respect. Does that make sense?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Putting faith in its place   

Back to top Go down

Putting faith in its place
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1