Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10782
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:57 pm

SAN FRANCISCO In a major victory for gay rights advocates, a federal judge on Wednesday struck down a California ban on same-sex marriage.

Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker ruled that the voter-approved ban, known as Proposition 8, violates due process and equal-protection rights under the U.S. Constitution.

"Moral disapproval alone is an improper basis on which to deny rights to gay men and lesbians. The evidence shows conclusively that Proposition 8 enacts, without reason, a private moral view that same-sex couples are inferior to opposite-sex couples," Walker wrote.

The judge added in the conclusion of the 136-page opinion: "Proposition 8 fails to advance any rational basis in singling out gay men and lesbians for denial of a marriage license."

His ruling came in response to a lawsuit brought by two same-sex couples and the city of San Francisco seeking to invalidate the law as an unlawful infringement on the civil rights of gay men and lesbians. The landmark case is expected to be appealed and could eventually reach the U.S. Supreme Court.

Outside the federal courthouse in San Francisco, a cheer went up among a group of about 70 same-sex marriage supporters carrying small U.S. flags, as a large rainbow-striped flag the symbol of the gay rights movement waved overhead.
Read the judge's ruling (.PDF)

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and California Attorney General Jerry Brown, who both refused to back Prop 8 in court, praised Walker's decision.
Story continues below

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9786
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:57 am

Very nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sarainadream
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 784
Hedonistic Glory : 3770
Joined In : 2009-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:00 pm

Huzzuh! Glad people are coming to their senses. I hope other states follow suit by realizing that their prejudice has no basis.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kriov
Pure Class

Number of posts : 730
Hedonistic Glory : 3619
Joined In : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:04 pm

so the 7 million people who voted FOR this proposition dont have a voice or vote anymore? nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scandinavianaggression.com
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11753
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:09 pm

As stated personal bias is no right to deny the legal and proper benefits of a marriage to someone. Your not being hurt by it so theres not reason for it at all. I completely approve of this personally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5511
Joined In : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:39 pm

Kriov wrote:
so the 7 million people who voted FOR this proposition dont have a voice or vote anymore? nice.

The 5 million Chicagoans in support of the handgun ban didn't get a voice when the Conservative cocksuckers in the supreme court overturned it, why should a bunch of homophobic old geezers have the voice we didn't?

In other news, I really have turned my opinion of Arnold around... He's turned out a lot better than I thought he would.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486628
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:37 pm

blackstar wrote:
As stated personal bias is no right to deny the legal and proper benefits of a marriage to someone. Your not being hurt by it so theres not reason for it at all. I completely approve of this personally.

beer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11753
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:12 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:26 am

The people don't have power over the constitution.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16050
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:45 am

The country is fucked. /discussion

Oh, and I really approve of this. I'm not gay but im one hundred percent for gay rights. I don't see why it concerns the entire U.S. population if two same sex people want to get married. Now we just need to get marijuana legalized
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:47 am

Even if I had something against homosexuals I would support this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:54 am

Axe wrote:
The country is fucked. /discussion

Oh, and I really approve of this. I'm not gay but im one hundred percent for gay rights. I don't see why it concerns the entire U.S. population if two same sex people want to get married. Now we just need to get marijuana legalized

It pretty much is legalized in Virginia and California.

I don't get why the US is still spending money on prohibition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10782
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:56 am

The War on Drugs has to be one of the stupidest policies ever
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:11 am

Yeah, I mean I don't really agree with it. I'm not gay and it seems a bit unnatural to me. But that doesn't mean it's not natural to others. I don't have anything against gays, unless of course they're super gays that have to tell everyone about their bedroom exploits. But that's annoying with straights as well.

As for the war on drugs, if all drugs were legal gang violence would decrease a lot. So it's quite a conundrum. I think mariuana absolutely should be illegal because its no worse that alcohol. As for hardcore drugs, they are definitely not something anyone should do if they value their life. But then again it's their decision, and they're going to do it regardess. I think we just need to legalize marijuana and crack down on other drugs that are actually harmful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:27 am

You meant to say that Marijuana should be legal Razz

Marijuana is, for the most part, weaker and less dangerous than alcohol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:29 am

Oh yeah. My bad lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sarainadream
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 784
Hedonistic Glory : 3770
Joined In : 2009-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:13 pm

Axe wrote:
Yeah, I mean I don't really agree with it. I'm not gay and it seems a bit unnatural to me. But that doesn't mean it's not natural to others. I don't have anything against gays, unless of course they're super gays that have to tell everyone about their bedroom exploits. But that's annoying with straights as well.

As for the war on drugs, if all drugs were legal gang violence would decrease a lot. So it's quite a conundrum. I think mariuana absolutely should be illegal because its no worse that alcohol. As for hardcore drugs, they are definitely not something anyone should do if they value their life. But then again it's their decision, and they're going to do it regardess. I think we just need to legalize marijuana and crack down on other drugs that are actually harmful.

I think the whole/gay straight thing is not black and white. I am a huge believer in Alfred Kinsey's studies and his scale of 1-5 from hetero to homosexuality. It allows for the in betweens. To me, there is nothing unnatural about a human being loving (in all sense of the word) another human being. People who say "What's next, we will be able to marry dogs?" make me sick. If there was a law that said no to straight marriage, how would they feel? Definitly not equal.

On drugs, mary jane is less dangerous than alchohol, especially in terms of addiction but people still abuse it and there will be people like that until the end of time. Mexico had to legalize small quantities of hard drugs because it is impossible to crack down on. I don't know if they should sell it casually because they all pose their own health concerns and we really do not need more...but if weed got legalized, the government would want their cut.
I do not agree on a complete ban...there are many people who need to smoke it to carry on with their daily lives. People with chronic pain need to go to the streets to find it when it is completed cut off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:31 am

This is good. Razz Now gay marriage should be un-banned throughout the whole U.S.
Maine just lost the No-On-One vote earlier this year. :/ Blehbklehleheb
Back to top Go down
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5511
Joined In : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:24 pm

Well the supreme court decision pretty much opens the way for civil rights groups to get gay marriage in every state. The ruling will hold precedent over any case brought up on the subject.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban   

Back to top Go down

Judge overturns Calif. gay marriage ban
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1