Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10838
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:36 am

It's that time again for you guys to get butthurt over my opinions

Overrated Bands

Metallica - Blah blah boring long songs and only a few decent tracks here and there
Slayer - Oh look, we milk Satan for money and haven't made a decent album since the 80s
Pantera - Hick Metal, 'nuff said
Dream Theater - All right for a while but they've clearly hit their midlife crisis by trying to be heavy
Cannibal Corpse - They really started going downhill once Banes left
Arsis - Really really boring "melodic" tech death, they wouldn't know a good riff if it bit them on the dick
Entombed - As much as I like these guys, they're just coasting off their Swedeath status and Left Hand Path
In Flames - These guys started off pretty good, and even their more poppy and catchy stuff from Colony was decent, just idk, they did something wrong
Mayhem - Sup black metal elitists, the only albums worth listening to are the Attila ones and they're only well known for the controversy
Necrophagist - Weedly weeldy woo dee doo
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul and Gardens of Grief are phenomenal, but people only pay attention to Slaughter of the Soul for some reason
The Black Dahlia Murder - lol Slaughter of the Soul tribute band
Opeth - Another band that I thoroughly enjoy but they're not the end all of music as people make them out to be
Between the Buried and Me - Same as Opeth except not as good
Sunn O))) - O)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Carpathian Forest - Third-rate black metal
Marduk - Norsecore
1349 - Norsecore
Dark Funeral - Norsecore
Watain - Dissection wannabees
Venom - As awesome as Black Metal and Welcome to Hell are, they haven't made a decent album in 20 years
Wintersun - Decent, but not amazing and they get old after a while
Xasthur - bedroom black metal
Leviathan - slightly better bedroom black metal
Fruity Folk Metal - lol
The entire LLN scene - lousy bedroom black metal
Most of the Nu-Thrash scene - Same riffs from 20 years ago

Overrated Musicians

Ozzy Osbourne - lol Ozzy
Randy Rhodes - hard rock guitarist that couldn't play metal
Zakk Wylde - ad nauseum pinch harmonics
Dimebag Darrel - Oh look at me I died so I'm a guitarist to be worshiped
Yngwie Malmsteen - weedly weedly weedly doodle dee doo
Michael Angelo Batio - Same as Malmsteen except with a worse haircut and more of a show-off
Cliff Burton - Another dead guy
Everyone in Metallica

Underrated Bands

Black Sabbath - Well, at least the non-Ozzy Black Sabbath stuff. The Dio material is awesome and the Tony Martin stuff is good as well
Judas Priest - For some reason these guys don't get the appreciation they deserve
Mercyful Fate - Same as Judas Priest except to a much larger extent
Possessed - These guys created death metal but they get overshadowed by every other band
Master - Pretty much the same deal as Possessed except they came along later
Autopsy - Yup, same deal
D.R.I. - If it weren't for these guys there would be no blast beats
Bathory - They invented both black metal and folk metal
Carcass - Released some of the best metal albums of all time
Celtic Frost - Amazing band with a varied discog that gets overlooked far too much
Ulver - Same deal as Celtic Frost
Demolition Hammer - Amazing thrash that most metal fans haven't heard
Coroner - One of the pioneers of tech thrash
Watchtower - Same as Coroner
Neurosis - Awesome awesome sludge band
Jag Panzer - Power Metal band from the US
Fates Warning - Same as JP except more proggy
Drudkh - Awesome atmospheric black metal
Empyrium - Amazing mix of folk and doom
Electric Wizard - One of the heaviest bands ever
Blasphemy - These guys invented kvlt
Sarcofago - If you are a false do not entry or you'll be burned and died
EyeHateGod - More awesome sludge
Incantation - super crunchy and riff-tastic death metal
Massacra - They released one of the best death/thrash albums of all time
Napalm Death - One of the best grind bands of all time and they still get overlooked
Repulsion - One of the originators of grindcore and even then no one knows them
Boris - Amazing band, probably the best thing to come out of Japan
Steel - STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!
W.A.S.P. - Sure they're kinda glam-ish but they're still pretty overlooked

Underrated Musicians

Tony Iommi - The riff master
Geezer Butler - Made the occult awesome
Rob Halford - Amazing vocalist
K.K. Downing and Glen Tipton - They have to be paired up for all of their dual melodies
Valfar - One of the few dead metal musicians that doesn't get the respect they deserve
Quorthon - He gets no respect even in death and yet was the mind behind Bathory
Andy LaRocque - Amazing guitarist
Bill Steer - Another amazing guitarist that gets overshadowed by Michael Amott
Dan Swano - Probably the most prolific person in metal
King Diamond - Amazing vocalist
Trey Azagthoth - Amazing guitarist
Luc Lemay - Reinvented the guitar and death metal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MarshallEMG
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 1619
Hedonistic Glory : 4953
Joined In : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:49 am

I actually agree with you on most of the overrated bands, except Wintersun (:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25403
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:15 am

Black Sabbath and Judas Priest are 100% underrated

Bloodbeast
The Cuddle Monster

Number of posts : 1638
Hedonistic Glory : 4902
Joined In : 2009-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:08 am

I agree with pretty much all of it, but there are some areas in which I simply cannot, e.g. Cannibal Corpse sucking after Chris Barnes? Chris Barnes a good example of suckage in metal, his vocals are damn near garbage, and he's a fucking Rob Zombie wannabe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:47 am

Barnes sucks but the first few albums are solid, everything else ranges from meh to awful
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9842
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:31 am

Judas Priest and Coroner are awesome. Neurosis too.

Bedroom black metal exists because there are some terribly grim and atmospheric bedrooms out there. Speaking of which I'd like to share the fact that my bed does indeed have stars and galaxies on it and stuff, and a black spacey background.

Mutiilation has a great album.

It might seem strange but I disagree most with your placement of Mayhem. I mean maybe they are over-famed, but I would say they are actually underrated. I don't think many people appreciate them that much. DMDS and Ordo Ad Chao are incredible, and 2~3 of their other albums are okay. Not great but not bad either.

Incantation is great. I really can't get into most brutal death metal stuff. 95% of it sounds really awesome until it hits the 2 minute mark. Bands like Incantation just bring it to you...I don't know how to explain it. Maybe because they don't sit around trying to see how fast, technical, and crushing they can manage to be.

Might I add Immolation is amazing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16106
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:06 pm

I agree with some of the things you said, but I don't see how Black Sabbath and Judas Priest are underrated. They are revered as Gods of metal and rock music. And Bathory did not invent folk metal. Bathory is awesome, but it's a classic example of themed lyrics confusing people as to the genre. Amon Amarth is not folk metal, neither is Bathory.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10505
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Alot of it is agreeable, alot of it isn't. But what the fuck was the point of this? lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Who are the ones overrating these bands? I'm actually curious not picking you apart this time. Seriously, zero of my friends listen to anything other than Nu or Metalcore. I don't ever get to hear anything good. Do you actually have bros who overrate Sun 0)))?

VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9842
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:57 pm

I know you should have Bal-Sagoth up there or something. Obviously underrated, but you'd put them at overrated anyways.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shady
Lightning Rider

Number of posts : 1372
Hedonistic Glory : 4370
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:28 pm

"Metallica - Blah blah boring long songs and only a few decent tracks here and there
Slayer - Oh look, we milk Satan for money and haven't made a decent album since the 80s"

I just stopped there to be honest ><
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:30 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
Obscure obscure blah blah blah.
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:42 pm

VacuousReality wrote:
Judas Priest and Coroner are awesome. Neurosis too.

Bedroom black metal exists because there are some terribly grim and atmospheric bedrooms out there. Speaking of which I'd like to share the fact that my bed does indeed have stars and galaxies on it and stuff, and a black spacey background.

Mutiilation has a great album.

It might seem strange but I disagree most with your placement of Mayhem. I mean maybe they are over-famed, but I would say they are actually underrated. I don't think many people appreciate them that much. DMDS and Ordo Ad Chao are incredible, and 2~3 of their other albums are okay. Not great but not bad either.

Incantation is great. I really can't get into most brutal death metal stuff. 95% of it sounds really awesome until it hits the 2 minute mark. Bands like Incantation just bring it to you...I don't know how to explain it. Maybe because they don't sit around trying to see how fast, technical, and crushing they can manage to be.

Might I add Immolation is amazing?

Actually, I'll have to rethink my Mayhem placement. They are clearly more famous than they should be but not enough people appreciate DMDS. And yeah, Incantation is fucking awesome, one of their guitarist said one of the most truthful things ever in regards to over technical death metal: "It's not a talent show, it's death metal." Immolation is awesome too but I don't think anyone who enjoys death metal underrates or overrates them.

Axe wrote:
I agree with some of the things you said, but I don't see how Black Sabbath and Judas Priest are underrated. They are revered as Gods of metal and rock music. And Bathory did not invent folk metal. Bathory is awesome, but it's a classic example of themed lyrics confusing people as to the genre. Amon Amarth is not folk metal, neither is Bathory.

Well, the non-Ozzy albums aren't nearly as known the Ozzy ones. When was the last time you heard someone say how awesome Dehumanizer or Tyr is? As for Priest, yes they are extremely popular, but I feel that they should be more. They're always in second place when compared to Iron Maiden, Metallica, Black Sabbath, etc.

As for Bathory not being folk, then what kind of metal is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNU9oQWe7cc

link wrote:
Alot of it is agreeable, alot of it isn't. But what the fuck was the point of this? lol.

I was really really really bored

breakyoudown wrote:
Who are the ones overrating these bands? I'm actually curious not picking you apart this time. Seriously, zero of my friends listen to anything other than Nu or Metalcore. I don't ever get to hear anything good. Do you actually have bros who overrate Sun 0)))?

You have to have a brain in order to rate things, and Nu and core listeners clearly lack that. Besides, I was going by rating, not by popularity.

VacuousReality wrote:
I know you should have Bal-Sagoth up there or something. Obviously underrated, but you'd put them at overrated anyways.

I think they're rated pretty accurately, there's enough love and hate which balances things out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:42 pm

Shady wrote:
"Metallica - Blah blah boring long songs and only a few decent tracks here and there
Slayer - Oh look, we milk Satan for money and haven't made a decent album since the 80s"

I just stopped there to be honest ><

Noob alert

link wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:

Actually, not really obscure at all to be honest
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shady
Lightning Rider

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:45 pm

Noob to what? I joined the forums over a year before you so I'm hardly a "Noob" in that regard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:46 pm

They are folky in theme and in some of the song structures, but I would not consider them folk metal. That just sounds like vikingy black metal to me. Folk metal generally has SOME folk instrumentation, real or synthesized, or more folky structures. Bathory kinda has it, but he uses more black metal progressions than anything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:47 pm

Shady! Good to see you on man! And Taxer is just joking. That's his way lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:49 pm

Shady wrote:
Noob to what? I joined the forums over a year before you so I'm hardly a "Noob" in that regard.

True, but you are a noob when it comes to metal it seems

Axe wrote:
They are folky in theme and in some of the song structures, but I would not consider them folk metal. That just sounds like vikingy black metal to me. Folk metal generally has SOME folk instrumentation, real or synthesized, or more folky structures. Bathory kinda has it, but he uses more black metal progressions than anything.

Well, maybe proto-folk then in the same regards that Venom, Hellhammer, and etc are proto-black

Axe wrote:
Shady! Good to see you on man! And Taxer is just joking. That's his way lol

Not really, no.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shady
Lightning Rider

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:50 pm

Must .. not ... feed ... troll >.<
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Yeah just leave him alone. I thought he was joking but you can't really tell sometimes. Oh well. Metallica was a great band.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:53 pm

Taxer666 wrote:

Axe wrote:

Well, maybe proto-folk then in the same regards that Venom, Hellhammer, and etc are proto-black

I would definitely agree with that. He influenced the blackened folk side of the genre. I'd say Bathory, along with Skyclad, were the ones to really get the genre and the whole folky/viking thing going.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11225
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:12 pm

idk about alot of it because my perception may be really scewed cuz i watch alot of vh1 classic. so sabbath and preist and those guys come up like everday. so...

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11441
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:29 pm

Taxer666 wrote:

Overrated Bands

Opeth - Another band that I thoroughly enjoy but they're not the end all of music as people make them out to be
Fruity Folk Metal - lol
Mad

You make it sound worse than it is by spelling it "nu".

Taxer666 wrote:
Overrated Musicians

I think Pantera as a band are pretty overrated however much I like them, Dimebag was a great guitarist imo.

Dude, have you heard Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)?

Taxer666 wrote:
Underrated Bands

Judas Priest - For some reason these guys don't get the appreciation they deserve
lulwut?

Taxer666 wrote:
Underrated Musicians

Again; lulwut?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:36 pm

Taxer666 wrote:

link wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:

To be honest, whenever I look at your music taste, all I see IS obscure lol.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Celtic Frost. I listened to them twice, didn't give them a chance. I really like the name. I should giver her another go

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:28 pm

Darkflame wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:

Overrated Bands

Fruity Folk Metal - lol
Mad

Taxer666 wrote:
Overrated Musicians

I think Pantera as a band are pretty overrated however much I like them, Dimebag was a great guitarist imo.

Taxer666 wrote:
Underrated Bands

lulwut?

Taxer666 wrote:
Underrated Musicians

Again; lulwut?

That's because Nu-Thrash is pretty bad as a whole. Just go listen to Kreator, Sodom, and Demolition hammer instead because thats all who these new bands are ripping off. Dimebag sucked as a guitarist dude, what are you smoking? Cliff was ok, though there were tons of better bassists around. And like I said, Priest, Iommi, and Halford are all respected, but they're not at the level they should be. Like seriously, how many kids do you know would place Iommi over Deadbag or some -core guitarist? All they care about are shitty sweeps and whatnot.

link wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:

link wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:

To be honest, whenever I look at your music taste, all I see IS obscure lol.

Once again, not really. Maybe a few obscure things here and there, but overall the things I listen to are pretty well known once you get past the surface.

breakyoudown wrote:
Celtic Frost. I listened to them twice, didn't give them a chance. I really like the name. I should giver her another go

Yes you do, check out Morbid Tales and To Mega Therion for some awesome thrash/proto-death/proto-black stuff, Into the Pandemonium for some weird shit, and Monotheist for some awesome doom.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11441
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:28 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
Darkflame wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:

Overrated Bands

Fruity Folk Metal - lol
Mad

Taxer666 wrote:
Overrated Musicians

Taxer666 wrote:
Underrated Bands

lulwut?

Taxer666 wrote:
Underrated Musicians

Again; lulwut?

That's because Nu-Thrash is pretty bad as a whole. Just go listen to Kreator, Sodom, and Demolition hammer instead because thats all who these new bands are ripping off. Dimebag sucked as a guitarist dude, what are you smoking? Cliff was ok, though there were tons of better bassists around. And like I said, Priest, Iommi, and Halford are all respected, but they're not at the level they should be. Like seriously, how many kids do you know would place Iommi over Deadbag or some -core guitarist? All they care about are shitty sweeps and whatnot.
I can't really defend new thrash that much since I don't know much about it. I'd point you in the direction of Toxic Holocaust if I knew you didn't hate them. And as I've said before, I love Pantera and they wouldn't be the same without Dimebag. Cliff was amazing. He's one of the few dead musicians that I think was as good as he's hyped to be. It wasn't just his bass playing. He wrote some of Metallica's best songs; Orion, Call Of Kthulu, Damage Inc., Master Of Puppets, For Whom The Bell Tolls, I could go on. And to be honest, most people I know wouldn't even know who Dimebag was but theres tons of people I know who fucking worship Iommi. He and Halford are seen as gods of metal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:34 pm

Skeletonwitch and Toxic Holocaust own. End of story.

And Dimebag was good, but he is way overrated in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486684
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:34 pm

Skeletonwitch kinda sucks...

But Toxic Holocaust is good. Not ZOMG AMAZING but good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:36 pm

How does Skeletonwitch suck? I don't get this...

And Toxic Holocaust is my least favorite of the two, even though they're badass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MarshallEMG
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 1619
Hedonistic Glory : 4953
Joined In : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:44 pm

Toxic Holocaust sucks....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:39 pm

Both Skeletonwitch and Toxic Holocaust suck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Your mom sucks. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:54 pm

no u
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians   

Back to top Go down

Overrated/Underrated Metal Bands and Musicians
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1