Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What to expect in your first year of University

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25401
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: What to expect in your first year of University   Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:46 pm

So I have some friends that are going into their first year of schooling away from home. I'm going to go over some of the things I've experienced. Where to start? How about classes. If you have a laptop it is extremely distracting. I'll give you a month before you put Facebook on speed dial on your computer so that everytime you touch anything your notifications pop up. If you want to learn, bring lined paper and a pen. Speaking of class. There will always be days when class ends your close to running out. At the end of the lecture the prof sometimes asks "Is there any questions?". On these days someone will be so into the speech that they will ask to clarify then challenge the teacher and they will be at the end of your row so nobody wants to be a prick and try to sneak around them as their talking so your stuck chained down in the row listening to everyone mutter slanders about the kid talking. Your new so you'll probably buy everything the teachers tell you to. Its not always books. Books are so freaking pricey. Every week each prof will want you to read a few chapters of whatever book and then never talk about them. Or they will make you read the book in a week and they will NOT mention the content of the book, but rather the implications of random theories within it. I read Sex Drugs and Coca Puffs which was a book about some guy telling stories about him playing video games or touring with a Guns N Roses cover band. It was a good book. But I wont lie I found it very hard to relate some bro retelling stories about him being wasted to net neutrality. In the second semester I didn't buy any books. I saved over $500. I wont brag as I did need to borrow a textbook from a friend as I needed it for an essay. But the essay wanted me to read ONE chapter and the introduction. It was about 15 pages. And I only needed to analyze one of its points. I could have read the back of the book and could've said that was the intro, and read the first paragraph of the first chapter if I really wanted to. Be weary of books. If a teacher told you to buy a Nicolas Cage movie, would you do that too?!

So the first week of classes I introduced myself to the person on my left and right in every class I was in. I talked to them briefly. I occassionally exchange words with them. But as for meeting people. It really really really depends on your context. I often hear "I'm not going to have any friends if I don't go to residence". I saw all kinds of people with buddies and none of them went to residence. I was in residence and I tended to stick with them as that is what suited me personally. You'll be fine.

Money. Take it easy. The first semester goes by rather slow. Then once Christmas hits its like the only thing going on is holidays. Christmas is like a month off. Then you get easter, march break, random holidays, and then schools over in April. Second semester is dumb fast. But yeah, try to save money, as you will need it to keep busy with all the days off. Meal plans are tricky. I got a medium sized plan. I tended to buy really cheap meals and never bought drinks. In Janurary my meal plans level was back in November. So I saved enough money to be months in advance. I then started to buy drinks really often and bought all kinds of overpriced snacks I didn't need. My mealplan money chart didn't even progress in time, the red budget line just went straight down. So if your worried about spending too much, just buy food. Don't waste your money on Vitamen water and $5 crispers. Wraps at my cafe are $4.20ish, what the hell are you buying crispers for?

Work. You get more work now. But if you live on residence it will seem like less. I can probably wake up and be in class before you leave your house. When I get up, if I am feeling particularly lazy I will shower after the class and eat after. If I was hungry I would grab food during classes break which is 10 minutes. So when all this transit time is reduced from over an hour to 5 minutes. You suddenly have time to do stuff. Guys, take part in intermerials. Floor hockey always is too short. I'm looking at you. Speaking of work, if you can afford not to get a job, don't. Assignments often come in weird bursts. So if you get stuck with too many your happiness will probably nosedive. You could probably manage to juggle work, friends, and school. But you will probably be unhappy as you would need to kill a lot of friend time for schoolwork. And that is not cool. I mean don't you want to watch Aladdin King of Thieves? Put that paper down.

Keep in touch with your buddies from home. When you go back home you don't wanna be stuck watching reruns movies do ya? That's right, reruns of movies.

Nicolas Cage.

LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11223
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: What to expect in your first year of University   Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:02 pm

thanks for this. i was actually looking for some input. first year this year but ill be commuting. dont know what will be happening at all. i start september 20th though so i got time. ill rep. i found this informative

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16104
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: What to expect in your first year of University   Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:27 pm

Very good read.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10836
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: What to expect in your first year of University   Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:50 pm

College is really the only place where I can truly say judge a book by their cover. If the person seems like a shallow douche, chances are that's the case.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: What to expect in your first year of University   Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:04 pm

My sister brought up a really good point. Marks. In highschool my marks looked like this:
95%
90%
88%
70%
In University it looked like this:
75%
74%
82%
55%
Don't expect to manage straight A's without being a complete nerd. The people who get marks in University like I did in high school do the following:
Listen to every word the professor says and reads all the articles. Writes down quotes the prof says. Begins projects immediately when they are assigned.

breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: What to expect in your first year of University   Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:10 pm

Oh, your sleep schedule gets manhandled. I went into University being used to waking up at 7 and going to bed at 11. At one point I was staying up till 6am and waking up at 4:30pm. Really try to not let this happen. A key cause of this is the Internet. I spent so many nights playing stupid godamn facebook games for hours for no reason and I would gradually waste more time. I began doing schoolwork at 2:30pm but it was hard to focus after that. This was the dumbest thing I did all year. It took me weeks before I brought the sleep time down to 1pm and woke up at noonish thanks to working out

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: What to expect in your first year of University   Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:40 pm

lol marks.

It's FUCKING GRADES guy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11223
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: What to expect in your first year of University   Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:29 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
lol marks.

It's FUCKING GRADES guy.

lol

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486682
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: What to expect in your first year of University   Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:31 pm

What classes do you take for milkman training?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: What to expect in your first year of University   Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:35 pm

Mista Conthulha wrote:

Bioengineering 112
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: What to expect in your first year of University   Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:00 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
lol marks.

It's FUCKING GRADES guy.
holy shit who cares

Mista Conthulha wrote:
Licensed dairy technician engineer

VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9840
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: What to expect in your first year of University   Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:27 pm

Yeah I have a few pieces of advice.

1. Don't fail finals just because you can still get a B in the class. I did this like...I don't even know how many times. It takes like 2-3 hours of studying to get an A or something and not a shitty B. Don't be a fucking lazy bitch.

2. Keep your sleep schedule good. Try to make a friend that eats breakfast or something so it'll force you to get up in the mornings. I went to bed at 2am regularly and got up at 7am and 12pm and 2pm and stuff like that.

3. If you need to make a friend just eat alone every day and stare at the ceiling like you're thinking of something. Eventually someone will sit next to you--probably a metal head.

4. Just do your work on a schedule or something. Do a little every here and there. I did most of my work between 10pm and 7am.

5. If you are having a really hard time in a class be ready to give the professor sexual favors to pass. Just don't try this with mathematics professors. You have been warned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: What to expect in your first year of University   Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:31 pm

I did most of my work between intermissions of hockey games lol. Man once I even procrastinated watching a movie with friends. I was on google looking up interesting facts and I was like holy fuck. Fucking facts

VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9840
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: What to expect in your first year of University   Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:31 pm

Lmao!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: What to expect in your first year of University   Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:33 pm

Pigs can't look up
"David shut the fuck up"
Elephants can't jump

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: What to expect in your first year of University   Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:50 am

VacuousReality wrote:
Yeah I have a few pieces of advice.

1. Don't fail finals just because you can still get a B in the class. I did this like...I don't even know how many times. It takes like 2-3 hours of studying to get an A or something and not a shitty B. Don't be a fucking lazy bitch.

2. Keep your sleep schedule good. Try to make a friend that eats breakfast or something so it'll force you to get up in the mornings. I went to bed at 2am regularly and got up at 7am and 12pm and 2pm and stuff like that.

3. If you need to make a friend just eat alone every day and stare at the ceiling like you're thinking of something. Eventually someone will sit next to you--probably a metal head.

4. Just do your work on a schedule or something. Do a little every here and there. I did most of my work between 10pm and 7am.

5. If you are having a really hard time in a class be ready to give the professor sexual favors to pass. Just don't try this with mathematics professors. You have been warned.

Lulz, you got lucky with that one
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to expect in your first year of University   

Back to top Go down

What to expect in your first year of University
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1