Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Concert Reiview: Immolation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Reivas
Pure Class

Number of posts : 681
Hedonistic Glory : 3310
Joined In : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Concert Reiview: Immolation   Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:58 am

(See what I did there?)

So I'm going to spend the next few minutes talking about a concert experience! Perhaps if people like these I'll post more Very Happy

Today, I went to see Immolation, with Vader, Abigail Williams, Lecherous Nocturne and Pathology. It was at a little place called Rocko's about a half-hour from where I live...which is a very good distance considering most bands I see end up being about an hour away at minimum...
(Along with two local opening bands, Candy Striper Death Orgy and Crypter)

Crypter was up first. I walked into the venue halfway through their set.
When it comes to thrash metal, it seems I have a very rare opinion that I have little stomach for hearing a thrash metal band headline (with a few exceptions...). There are plenty of older thrash bands that I'd be thrilled to see live and headline, however, it takes a bit to really interest me in what they have to offer...
So anyway, it is pretty easy to guess...Crypter is a thrash metal band. Pretty damn solid for a local band as well, at least good live. I haven't really listened to their studio work. Anyway, it was headbangable music and this is a good thing.

Candy Striper Death Orgy has apparently been on the local scene for years now, but this is the first time I've seen them. Again, pretty solid thrash band, a bit less melodic than Crypter but with a much better (and funnier) vocalist. Overall they were quite good.

At this point my hopes for this show were getting pretty high. I've seen Vader and Immolation before, so while I knew what to expect with them, I also knew they would flatten me like a steamroller...anyway, my friend and I went out to his car to drink water/rehydrate at this point...I had not let out a single scream yet, however, the idea of rehydrating was a wise choice...

The next band that was up was Pathology. They play pretty solid brutal death metal. Interestingly, and quite oddly, James Lee (ex-Origin) was on vocals...this was quite weird to see to be completely honest. I saw Origin with James at Summer's Laughter 2009, and am kind of concerned someone will be able to fill his shoes, but I digress...
So Pathology was quite solid musically, though their guitarist had some guitar issues, so had to switch his guitar out during the set...this took about two-three minutes, but James was good at talking to the crowd during that time...
As solid as they were, I honestly can't say they're really anything new, if you want to check them out, you can use google...

Lecherous Nocturne was up next. Honestly, I had rather low expectations for them. I hadn't seen them, however, a few years ago, I heard their first record, Adoration of the Blade...which was solid...horrifyingly short, but very standard tech-death.
Fortunately, they focused on their newer album. I have to saw, I was VERY, VERY impressed. The first song they played was very good. Overall, I thought their set was the surprise of the night for me!
Their guitarists' skills though? Nightmarishly good...it was like watching chaos on the fretboard, and I found myself constantly wondering how they can play all their stuff so well...

Next up, after a quick dinner (MMMM BUFFALO CHICKEN SUB TASTES SOOO GOOD WHEN YOU'RE EXHAUSTED!)...

...was Abigail Williams...
To say I wasn't looking forward to them would honestly be a bit of an understatement. Perhaps I was too worried about their "melodic blackcore" roots that I just couldn't see beyond that and bother to listen to them...
...there was no "blackcore" to be had on this night, only a very solid mix of melodic blackened metal. Perhaps it has something to do with having a former member of God Dethroned join, but I honestly would say things might be looking up for this band...I can't say much about their new album, but the live material they played was extremely solid...if they keep it up, perhaps the next record will be better!
I've seen many better bands, but Abby Williams is far from the worst!

Vader was up next.
I have seen Vader 3 times over the past year, four times over the past 3, in fact, I have a sneaking suspicion I am forgetting about a time where I saw Vader...

Vader ALWAYS manages to decimate in a live setting and tonight was no exception. They played a very generous amount material from De Profundis...this is a very good thing, since I got to finally hear Blood of Kingu live!
They ended with This is the War as well...I absolutely love that song as it is what got me seriously into Vader!

Finally, that leads us to Immolation...

I had seen Immolation with Nile at the beginning of this year for the first time, and to my shock and awe, they performed on the same level as Nile did that night! Tonight was no different, Immolation UTTERLY DOMINATED! They played a lot of material from their Majesty and Decay album, but did a very good job of hitting material from most of the albums, including hitting one of my favorite songs, Close to a World Below...this song sounds absolutely crushing live...in fact every song they played sounded phenomenal. There have been times when I've been disappointed with a headliner because of the supporting bands, however tonight was not one of those times.
Immolation sounded as dark and twisted as ever...their riffs are some of the more bizarre and almost demonic at times...seeing them live really drives the point home that there is absolutely no other band that does death metal the way they do...and for that, they are quickly becoming a big favorite of mine!

So anyway, that's my first review in quite awhile! Tell me what you guys think!

My opinion is that if you have the chance...check this tour out! This is not something to miss!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Immolation   Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:46 am

Sounds fun. I haven't heard of Abigail Williams, Lecherous Nocturne and Pathology, but I know Vader and Immolation. C:
XD I think this tour is coming to Ohio, but it'll be on a Tuesday and in Cleveland. D:< inconvenience
Back to top Go down
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10386
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Immolation   Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:52 am

BASTARD! Sounds like such a good show!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10719
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Immolation   Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:26 pm

Glad you had fun, HOPEFULLY I'll be able to go!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11690
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Immolation   Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:36 pm

I need to go to a good death metal show again don't get very many down here though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11322
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Immolation   Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:06 pm

I just need to go to a good show period. My last one was Trivium last March. Hardly any good bands come over here that often.

Feel free to keep posting reviews here, Reivas. Other people have done it too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15987
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Immolation   Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:00 pm

I'd love to see Immolation, and Vader would be pretty cool. Sounds like a badass show. This reminds me of how I can't wait to go see Minus the Bear

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reivas
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Immolation   Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:38 am

Darkflame wrote:
I just need to go to a good show period. My last one was Trivium last March. Hardly any good bands come over here that often.

Feel free to keep posting reviews here, Reivas. Other people have done it too. Very Happy

I've seen Trivium 3 times, while I'm not a fan, they do a fantastic job at keeping the crowd energy flowing.

And I'll do that when I have the time...I have a Korpiklaani review from the beginning of the year...that one is pretty much the opposite of good (hated that show...worst of the year)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Immolation   Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:23 pm

Went to the same concert and here are my thoughts.

Pile of Priests

Eh, walked in about halfway through their set. Pretty boring stuff.

Imperial Decay

I was actually surprised by this band, sounded like they took a lot of influence from Immolation. So that alone pretty much made them the third best act of the evening.

Rott

Worst band of the night. Shitty slam death metal. No riffs. Nothing. There was some lulz factor however, the vocalist must have been on heroin or something because it looked like he was drifting in and out of conscience.

Pathology

Nothing to write to your mother about, but it was decent. Standard brutal death metal stuff.

Lecherous Nocturne

Ugh... these guys had so much potential. They would start these awesome doomy riffs and then just go back to technical wankery. Plus they were too loud.

Abigail Williams

Another boring band. And they were too loud. It was really hard making it through their set. There were however some occasional cool leads, but that's about it.

Vader

This is when the night started. First time I saw Vader, so I didn't know what to expect. I hear the Imperial March and I was like "oh shit". I don't know their material all too well, so I didn't know what I was hearing half the time but it was all solid.

Immolation

Best band of the night by far. Once The Purge started shit started going insane. The songs like Father and Close to as World Below were awesome. Just so damn awesome. One of the best shows I've been to. I'll add more later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11690
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Immolation   Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
Plus they were too loud.

Pussy : P
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
link
Deliciously Fat

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Immolation   Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:41 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
Went to the same concert and here are my thoughts.

Pile of Priests

Eh, walked in about halfway through their set. Pretty boring stuff.

Imperial Decay

I was actually surprised by this band, sounded like they took a lot of influence from Immolation. So that alone pretty much made them the third best act of the evening.

Rott

Worst band of the night. Shitty slam death metal. No riffs. Nothing. There was some lulz factor however, the vocalist must have been on heroin or something because it looked like he was drifting in and out of conscience.

Pathology

Nothing to write to your mother about, but it was decent. Standard brutal death metal stuff.

Lecherous Nocturne

Ugh... these guys had so much potential. They would start these awesome doomy riffs and then just go back to technical wankery. Plus they were too loud.

Abigail Williams

Another boring band. And they were too loud. It was really hard making it through their set. There were however some occasional cool leads, but that's about it.

Vader

This is when the night started. First time I saw Vader, so I didn't know what to expect. I hear the Imperial March and I was like "oh shit". I don't know their material all too well, so I didn't know what I was hearing half the time but it was all solid.

Immolation

Best band of the night by far. Once The Purge started shit started going insane. The songs like Father and Close to as World Below were awesome. Just so damn awesome. One of the best shows I've been to. I'll add more later.

Lol, I agree with Abigail, but c'mon, TOO LOUD? The deafness is a part of a semi good concert.

Back to top Go down
Reivas
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Immolation   Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:24 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
Plus they were too loud.

I wear earplugs to shows since I've done enough damage to my ears over 4 years of not doing so...yeah...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Immolation   Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:48 pm

Reivas wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:
Plus they were too loud.

I wear earplugs to shows since I've done enough damage to my ears over 4 years of not doing so...yeah...

But you didn't complain. That is the key.
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Immolation   Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:00 pm

Reivas wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:
Plus they were too loud.

I realized I forgot to get earplugs as soon as I walked in, and the security wouldn't let me back in if I were to leave. So yeah
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Immolation   

Back to top Go down

Concert Reiview: Immolation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tip of the Hat :: Rarefied Refrains and Majestic Melodies-
Jump to: