Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

My top everything of the decade

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25353
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: My top everything of the decade   Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:57 am

Its been a few months since I posted an article and tried to be funny about things. Going to flex my memory muscles, here we go. My favourite everything from 2000-2010

Movie of the Decade
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

I'm sorry I'm picking such a mainstream movie but I have never watched a movie more often than these and haven't been bored. I really don't need to explain any of this movie.

Runner Up
Watchmen

Song of the decade
Dance of Death

This song has helped me get through much. I don't mean it in the slow dance way. It has been my favourite song for ages. A few years ago...Maybe 3 years? I was a dishwasher and I was pissed at those dishes, I hated dishes. I applied for a job at an ice cream store and I thought the interview went okay. Anyway my boss had told me that he would call me on Friday if I had the job. Its Saturday night and my hatred for dishes is at its peak. I am about halfway through listening to dance of death and the phone rings and I get the job. I left the dirty dishes to clean and happy ice cream. I emailed my boss giving him 2 weeks notice and he said you can just quit now and not come in tonight. I was like fuck yes I love you.
Runner up (This was harder to choose)
Rising of the Dark Lord- Pagan Alter
Not because its a super mega hit, but because it has got me into tons of interest conversations. I force this song on probably over 30 people every time I drank in college I would beg them to stop playing rap and to play one of my songs, its just one. Bam 9 minutes of doom metal fuck you- rising of the dark lord. The funny thing is after a while people started to put it on themselves. Complete

Tv Show of the decade
Dexter
This was a really easy choice. I never watched tv shows ever- other than bullshit cartoons like family guy that requires no thought or previous viewings to enjoy. When people told me that this show was amazing I thought...The images of this show is some dude staring at me with flirtatious manner

Now I was on a forum and this user posted a direct download to every Dexter episode and the whole forum was praising him, so I thought what the hell I'll give it a shot. I then posted the links here and became the idol.
Runner up
Flight of the Conchords

Internet Clip of the Decade
Duke Nukem- Balls of steel

When I first watched this I really didn't understand. For those of you who don't- imagine that a group of people are playing a game and are all on skype except this program is called Vent which you will here them mention. This guy randomly joins the skype conversation with a Duke Nukem soundboard. Nobody recognizes the famous Duke quotes and one older sounding lady flips out.
Runner up
Shatner on the mountain. Its just fucking funny. Rich Roll came close
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2ftCitvyQ

Word of the decade
It really is, the Internet is the new everything. What daily task do we not want to do on online? If you could do your laundry online you would. That reminds me that I gotta pay my credit card bill. Its going to take a whole 30 seconds.

Videogame of the Decade
Oblivion, its simply outstanding. Its pretty damn close to living in middle earth and the choice is endless. You can be a complete asshole and it would probably make the game more fun.

Runner up
Gears of war
It almost has as much blood as evil dead. Almost.
(Maaaaaaad World)

Gadget of the decade
1 Terrabyte external harddrive.
My harddrive is my pride and joy. It has all my best work from school. To about 300 movies and all my music and every episode of : South Park, Deadwood, Kenny vs spenny, etc etc. I can watch them all on my Xbox. Its just a really good friend. Meanwhile my Ipod died in a year its so fragile. I swear to god all it would do is slowly break and want to listen to breakup songs.

Runner up
Xbox 360, it can play my harddrives' stuff.

Moment of the decade
The Montreal Canadiens Playoff Run

Man this isn't even my favourite hockey team. Toronto has been garbage since 2003. I remember they had a good team around 2002, but I was too young to remember certain plays. Anyway in this clip the goaltender Halak and the Canadiens were playing the best team in the NHL. The Canadiens were the lowest ranked team in the playoffs. This goaltender pretty much stood on his head. Stopping a whooping 50 shots and allowing 1 goal against a complete powerhouse team. The Canadiens proceeded to win this series and then whipped out the next team that won the cup last series. The 3rd round was a heartbreak were they lost to a really rough Philly. The emotion was intense in this series.
Runner up
Zidane Headbutt- Italy wins the world cup. I go nuts
Runner runner up
Obama's viral campaign.

Theme of the decade
Horror. Here is a shark

This huge servant of evil wants nothing more than to destroy everything we love. We all would love to see a movie where this fucking thing drag Michael Cera to the bottom of ocean hell.
Runner up
The future
We love the future: Futurama, Halo, District 9, friggin tables that you can play tetris on?

This article succeeded in probably summarizing the last 4 years of of the decade according to me. Until next time.

-BYD

VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9792
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade   Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:26 pm

That was entertaining. I love your pick for song of the decade. That song is seriously amazing. And the movie pick is awesome too. I have different tastes in video games and I don't watch TV so I can't say much there. Horror is the theme of humanity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade   Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:42 pm

Thanks man. Yeah the movie had no story to go behind liking it like my song did hahah.

sarainadream
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 784
Hedonistic Glory : 3776
Joined In : 2009-10-08

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade   Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:41 pm

My movie(s) of the decade are definitly LOTR as well. Surprise surprise. Sure, other great ones have come and gone with great acting and scores but this mega epic trilogy is on par with Star Wars for defining a decade.
I have no idea what to pick for a runner up. I would say Spiderman not because it was that great, but because it really started the super hero OBSESSION of the 2000's that will continue. Batman was much better but Spiderman really started it all. Even though Avatar surpassed Titanic for the highest grossing film, it came towards the end and its 3D-ness will inspire the next decade.

Song of the decade...no idea but I agree with Maiden. Though damn, that album cover is something else. This decade saw the rise of new pop stars and rockers and the continuation of old ones.

TV Show-I would agree with Dexter and other HBO hits like The Sopranos and Deadwood. As much as people love to hate it or hate to love it, the 2000's was the decade of reality TV. Survivor, American Idol, make over crap, everything with the Stars and annoying D listers living together totally smeared itself over our televisions. Hospital shows and law shows have been popular forever or else I would mention House and CSI. Cartoons got bolder and the Simpsons no longer cuts it.

Video games-Guitar Hero, Halo was pretty big eh, and Grand Theft or something?

Word of the decade-agreed, anything technological. Texting, messaging, emailing, writing on your wall, bbm-ing, etc.

Internet clip-Youtube spawned into an enity of its own and so many clips were viral in seconds. I would say the Numa Numa stood out in my mind, and then Rick Rolling for international fame. Cat clips and the other ones chosen in that South Park episode were also quite big.

Gadget- I would say Apple exploded. Ipods made walkmans look as uncool as fanny packs. Apple began ruling computers, cell phones, everything. Facebook as well, if that could be considered.

What about book of the decade? I would say the Harry Potter craze surpasses the Twilight one for its broader audience and better use of the English language. I have not read much of this decade lately but Alice Munro stands out.

Moment of the Decade-Lots of crazy things happened. Obama got elected, countries and states got destroyed, and Canada kicked ass at the Olympics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade   Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:52 pm

You picked the choices that should be picked. I selected things that I liked the most lol. Book of the decade you ask?

"It"
Oh damn that's 1986

1984!
Oh damn that's like 1950

Fuck...Harry Potter

Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11391
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade   Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:25 pm

I confess, I'm a big HP fan. LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade   Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:35 pm

Man you would have been 3 when the first book came out hahah

Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade   Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:36 pm

I started reading them when I was like 7. LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11175
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade   Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:07 pm

you can do laundry online. the dorms at my school have laundry machines that you can access or find out of they are operating through the internet and can text you when the laundry is done. i commute though. also HP is awesome! Very Happy

also LoTR is hands down the greatest trilogy (movies) of the decade (at least for me). no shame in choosing that. i watch it the whole trilogy at least once a year lol.

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Darkflame
Problem Child

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade   Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:11 pm

My uncle can text his bath to tell it to turn on. LOL

I totally agree about LOTR.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

Number of posts : 15458
Hedonistic Glory : 10677
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade   Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:26 pm

I have balls of steel...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/dommaster66
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16056
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade   Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:14 pm

Very interesting read, and I think Sara did a good job picking the ones that best fit society as a whole.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ExtremeOverload
I CAME!

Number of posts : 972
Hedonistic Glory : 4009
Joined In : 2009-10-14

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade   Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Axe wrote:
Very interesting read, and I think Sara did a good job picking the ones that best fit society as a whole.
Needs mor pics/links, and a shark.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade   Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:28 pm

ExtremeOverload wrote:
Axe wrote:
Needs mor pics/links, and a shark.

Yeah, sadly you didn't have anything as badass as a shark Sara.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Palpi of Lor
Pure Class

Number of posts : 594
Hedonistic Glory : 3378
Joined In : 2010-05-03
Location : GETTING MY FAT RUBBED BY IB IN THE DEPTHS OF HELL!!

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade   Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:02 pm

I love LOTR but I don't think it is my favorite movie. I still have to say anchorman is my fav, but lotr is my favorite fantasy.... ...obviously.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sarainadream
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 784
Hedonistic Glory : 3776
Joined In : 2009-10-08

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade   Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:09 am

Axe wrote:

Yeah it was a mix of personal opinion and plain statistics. When people look back at this decade, I think those items stand out. Byd most books I thought of were not of this decade but HP was massive, book and movie wise. Oh and theme park. I was one of those kids that preordered the book so I could read it asap. I was not nearly as taken with the movies.

Maybe the next decade will be the year of the sharks, who knows.

Anchorman was amazingly hilarious; that was a standout comedy of the decade. That was funnier to me than The Hangover despite it's unexpected insane success.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade   Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:15 am

Whammy!

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade   Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:00 am

The Anchorman and The Hangover are two of standout comedies, I agree. Most comedies suck in my opinion
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11759
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade   Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:32 pm

Hottub Time Machine and Youth in Revolt were both quite amazing as well imo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade   Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:46 pm

That's because you are in Hot Tub Time Machine

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My top everything of the decade