Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The social network is a good movie but facebook...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25286
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:52 pm

I have something to say.

Privacy is always a concern when personal information is posted on the internet. MoveOn.org is a website that strives to protect Facebook users from having their privacy invaded. The website strives for a number of causes, and has users sign petitions. If Facebook users purchase something online, the purchase can be on the news feed for anyone to view. The reason that Facebook is taking part in mass information sharing is for businesses to observe what is in demand. How long will it be until Facebook is no different than reality? Posting something on Facebook is the equivalent to being in a room full of silent people that will hear anything you announce. The internet depicts a reality to narcissus narcosis. Facebook is almost a totalitarian society that is comparable to George Orwell’s 1984 in which people are constantly under surveillance. The privacy term page is long and phrases its rules in a misleading way. More information on privacy is cleverly hidden on different pages. At the bottom of the privacy policy page, there are many links at the bottom with continued important information that is hard to locate. “We live in a “cut and paste” culture enabled by technology. Anyone building a presentation knows the extraordinary freedom…in a second you can find just about any image you want; in another second, you have it planted in your presentation.” (Lessig, 105) Information on the internet can never be fully removed. Although we live in a democracy, social networking exploits almost action you perform for the world to view and save. A wide variety of files are available for sharing and saving, thus basic human instincts become rendered useless. Humans are becoming less human, as there is now less of a need for our memory when something can be found within minutes on the internet. Is it inevitable for humanity to change into a life where information is so freely exchanged? Or are social networks just a controversial trend that will be maintained

ExtremeOverload
I CAME!

Number of posts : 972
Hedonistic Glory : 3942
Joined In : 2009-10-14

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:17 pm

Wall O' Text
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:18 pm

Shut up man, seriously

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14867
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:48 pm

agreed.

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

Number of posts : 15458
Hedonistic Glory : 10610
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:08 pm

man this movie is going to suck so much...but 500 millio people paying 6-10 bucks to see it its a good bussiness...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/dommaster66
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11108
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:13 pm

nice rant, i agree. im not too big on social networking things. i use this forum INFINITELY more than my facebook. this IS my facebook. lol. besides, i still think myspace is cooler- you can haz cool wallpapers and all the jazz. facebook is just white- bleh. myspace is better for music too.

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

Number of posts : 15458
Hedonistic Glory : 10610
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:15 pm

LOR wrote:
nice rant, i agree. im not too big on social networking things. i use this forum INFINITELY more than my facebook. this IS my facebook. lol. besides, i still think myspace is cooler- you can haz cool wallpapers and all the jazz. facebook is just white- bleh. myspace is better for music too.

i can haz your facebook pl0x?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/dommaster66
LOR

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11108
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:19 pm

i go on it like once a week. its not my real name. hold on, lemme find it. i dont even have my own friends as friends, random urkainians i dont know request me... and senrae (she didnt even know it was my facebook) lol. no one knows i have one, i usually keep it a secret, but here it is

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000237530985&v=wall&story_fbid=159808280703755&po=1&notif_t=feed_comment

if that link doesnt work, then if your friends with palpi or senrae, just look at their friends for taras bulba- thats me lol

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Palpi of Lor
Pure Class

Number of posts : 594
Hedonistic Glory : 3311
Joined In : 2010-05-03
Location : GETTING MY FAT RUBBED BY IB IN THE DEPTHS OF HELL!!

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:23 pm

I told her it was you, you idiot.

beer

I don't think I would go as far as to say we are becoming less human. As long as knowledge is viewed as an important quality...people will strive for great intellect, thus not completely relying on the internet for help. I mean, I wouldn't vote for a president to gets asked a question, wikipedia's it, then answers it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:29 pm

i think facebook is far better. there is a larger amount of my friends on it. it isnt run through with useless games and advertisments, assuming you have taken the proper channels (i always block stupid apps and block stupid people from trying to get me to join dumb shit, and im also running firefox and addblock which also gets rid of crap)

facebook doesnt have stupid flashy gifs, it doesnt have web2.0. it has an intelligent comment system that has gotten better.

i dont like the privacy thing...but in the world we live in, its expected. that doesnt make it right, but really the people that make the most noise probably have bodies in the closet, yes, byd has a body in the closet.

just use fb maturely and it will treat u maturely. honestly

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
Palpi of Lor
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:35 pm

I agree. I personally like facebook. Naturally I am against fads, but I got a facebook, and its kinda useful now that college started. I keep in touch with my friends that went away.

One could argue, you can keep in touch through texts and phone calls, but I mean, I would never send a friend a link to a news article, or youtube video in a text. I think that is annoying. If something has so little meaning that it doesnt need a text or phone call, use facebook lawl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:36 pm

palpi, find me on facebook!

www.facebook.com/doesntmakeabitofdifference

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Palpi of Lor
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:48 pm

I totally, sent you a request w/ a message, so you know its me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:50 pm

you did? i see nothing

edit
i should be high....for that mistake

its there, i see it. herro friend

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Palpi of Lor
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:54 pm

I mean...you had to know it was me. Agalloch is my favorite band.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:54 pm

I feel as if since Facebook is free, we pay for it with our information and privacy for market research. These companies paid millions in the past to learn what the fuck we want to buy. We are now giving it away for free minor popularity.

Palpi of Lor
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:56 pm

Holy shit when did I get my rep to 6?

WHAT THE FUCK! I wanted to be at 5 forever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:00 am

Palpi of Lor wrote:
I told her it was you, you idiot.

beer

I don't think I would go as far as to say we are becoming less human. As long as knowledge is viewed as an important quality...people will strive for great intellect, thus not completely relying on the internet for help. I mean, I wouldn't vote for a president to gets asked a question, wikipedia's it, then answers it.

That was more of a hyperbole that things are being done for us and we need to use our basic functions less and less.

Palpi of Lor
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:04 am

why drive when we can ride a bike? why bike when we can walk?

The invention of the wheel was the worst thing that has happened to humanity.

(sarcastic example)--^

I understand what you are saying, but I guess I don't view it as a bad thing. People make claims that we are 'devolving' but i just think we are taking a different path.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:07 am

Your counter-argument couldn't get much more extreme haha.

You are also addressing probably the most minor point I had made. But I like it still

Palpi of Lor
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:10 am

It is the only point I really cared about. Sorry.

(Not taking away from anything you wrote...just, i guess it doesn't really bother me)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:11 am

Yeah that was just spice in the sauce really

Palpi of Lor
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:15 am

WELL LEARN TOO COOK BETTER!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:22 am

yeah byd....this couscous sucks

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:34 am

I worked pretty hard on this statement and I'm not getting into this random argument

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15989
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:11 am

I think you pose an interesting question. Do social networking sites inhibit our natural human tendencies? In a few short years, starting with MySpace, networking sites have boomed to the point that even older people are using them to exchange their day to day thoughts. I think that if the current trend continues, we may be looking at a time where most social interaction is done over the internet on sites like Facebook (lol most of mine already is). Also to address your statement about privacy, facebook and other sites of that type need to do a better job of telling the users what the terms of use and rights are - almost no one is going to go through an immense amount of web surfing and trouble to find boring rules that will rarely even need to used.

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Palpi of Lor
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:44 am

I mean in 30 years we will be having sex via webcame with eachother...

oh wait..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:13 am

Yeah man. The privacy and terms are spread out over like 20 pages, it would take forever just to find it all. That is where they say that they are taking all of your data. I think its crazy how my aunts and uncles and their kids are posting pretty much everything about their lives. For example they'll be like "On vacation LOL!"

Alright so if I wanted to rob them, I know their not home, I know everyone in the families full name, I know the city they live in. I could just phone the operator and I would get their address.

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:58 pm

Hmm.. I don't think I expose a whole lot of private info about myself on facebook. I wonder if my profile is still private... It made itself public without my permission once >:|
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11324
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:13 pm

I don't have this problem.

Cos I don't have Facebook. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sarainadream
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 784
Hedonistic Glory : 3709
Joined In : 2009-10-08

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:28 pm

I had social networking sites before Myspace .The narcissism in the photo was crazy, the made up children with a million friends, the random invites and creepy messages, the “top 5” popularity contest, the music that started on people’s pages and the blinding, sparkling gifs. I joined Facebook 4 years ago and appreciated its simplicity but nothing that popular is simple. Ads popped up, application invites spread, and suddenly it seemed less private then Myspace. Sure, I was no longer getting many random invites and I missed looking at band’s pages, but people seemed to be sharing more information because hey, they were “among friends”. At first I added people I kind of knew and then deleted everyone I did not know personally. I hid my tagged photos and removed most of my photos. Too much life was exposed. I am not concerned with being cyber stalked, really, that’s for those with Twitter. Identity theft is common, companies can hack into your profile and its basically one big money grab.
This whole “wall writing” and texting and twittering is reducing human contact and it will only get worse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Palpi of Lor
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:29 pm

Facebook has a pretty cool band page now. Came out a few weeks ago.

(offtopic)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldmothercath
A Good Fellow

Number of posts : 30
Hedonistic Glory : 2320
Joined In : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   Thu May 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Well if I wasn't here or out I would be on FB but see I have a great reason, friends near or far that can not do anything at all but keep my MS and me company! I don't care who knows what about my life. married mum of 4 and gran in my thirtys in a wheelchair. Who's quirky mad and still finding music I like as well as the stuff I love.
I love that a song from a young guy in New york can make me feel better. When some of the strongest drugs in medicine can't!

MS is serious now but still good days and bad ones and my music and computer still work on both and until that changes, I'll keep rocking in the free world and the cyber one!

Cath x

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The social network is a good movie but facebook...   

Back to top Go down

The social network is a good movie but facebook...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1