Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Ahem...
Hell YEAH! Why isnt this guy signed?
25%
 25% [ 1 ]
Meh. Not for me. but solid and the dude can jam.
25%
 25% [ 1 ]
lolno. Pssh, music? Which form is that?
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
1/5?
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
2/5.
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
3/5!
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
4/5 :)
25%
 25% [ 1 ]
5/5!!!
25%
 25% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

AuthorMessage
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14869
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:02 pm

Ok kiddies....yes, i use that vernacular, now that song of the Day, Week, DYSFUNCTIONAL relationship that i have with this ongoing thread. I think my last post was somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-7 months ago. So here goes nothing!

The awesome "band" i guess you could call it that i have to showcase for you kiddies today is a man by the name of Cloudkicker. Well, obviously that's not his real name. Ben Sharp, although he isnt well known or documented enough to go by that. He also makes ambient music (i may save that for a later date) under the name B.M. Sharp. All of his current work can be found online and for free. In fact, i read his myspace where he says that he "fully support the re hosting of this and all releases on torrent and file sharing sites like megaupload".
B.M. Sharp, or Ben, makes up Cloudkicker. Cloudkicker is a sort of a progressive ambient djenty project full of WIN AND AWESOME. The album Beacons is best listened to in one sitting.

As most instrumental music seems to go these days, Beacons is not chock full of mindless technical wankery or flighty fast solos. Instead, Beacons is more of a thinking mans' type of instrumental music. It seems dark, but not in a Black Ambient sense, and it seems powerful, but not in a Death Metal sense. Beacons is more of an experience. It feels (to me at least) like im out at sea on a large vessel and we run into a storm. The storm is violent and hectic and everything must be done quickly, but precisely. Eventually the storm passes and the crew (as well as myself) sail to calmer waters and gaze off into the distance where not a word is exchanged about what happened.

Yeah, mega lame and cheesy sounding....but instrumental metal has allowed me to interpret chords, harmonies, and melodies without the need of a vocalist to tell the "story" of a song.

Blah blah blah Brute. Everyone, get this. I really dont think this has a "oh, you like X so you'll like Cloudkicker". Just do me a favor, get the album here:
http://cloudkicker.bandcamp.com/album/beacons

Until next time, fellow headbangers
\m/
-Brute-

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15991
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:58 am

You totally deleted my post. Jackass. Anyway I'll definitely check this out tomorrow (or later today I guess). I just got off work so yeah, after I wake up

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25288
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:59 am

Quite good, reminds me of Warmen at half speed.

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:24 pm

axe, please, stop talking like that. there were several reasons your post got deleted
1) the thread was a BBCcodde practice. i cant type the codes in notepad then host them in Firefox, since that runs on html.
2) i wrote down "test" and you wrote something like " i like this too". thast is a USELESS post and was obviously pointless.
3) you always take the offensive and assume when i delete a post, im attacking the user. WRONG! i delete stuff cuse i dont think it is post worthy. i dont care if you post it, byd, or lor, or jakey234 (whatever)

SO PLEASE! STOP taking the offensive. im getting tired of it. especially the language. i curse alot and often, but when someone starts to take an offensive argument and starts to curse, it upsets me.

and you being sad about me deleting your "post" is no reason for not looking at a COMPLETED thread.

are we cool bro-montana?

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:33 pm

breakyoudown wrote:
Quite good, reminds me of Warmen at half speed.
Really?

Here, maybe you are confused

Warmen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XlNbQv_Rg4

Cloudkicker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90j3HJhNIiY&feature=related

please, take note that im not trying to be rude, but i see 0% similarties between the two bands. cloudkicker is from the states, plays by himself, plays instrumental music, and uses a guitar. warmen arnt from the US, plays power metal, and uses keyboards (rather well).

I guess the one similarity they both have is the fact they both play instrumental (warmen does have Amadeus quotes occasionally)
But i get the sense that Warmen plays instrumental for the fact that they are showcasing their talent and making cool sounds. I think Cloudkicker is expressing a feeling or ideas to some degree.

Another big difference is speed. alot of warmen songs are very fast. fast is fun, and im sure fast can convey meaning in instrumental metal, but i dont think warmen SET OUT to make an instrumental album, they made an album that showcased some heavy riffs and the keyboard work of that dude from CoB

Agree/Disagree? Byd? Anybody?

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:48 pm

Haha yeah they're not alike really. I'd grab that album if it were free lol

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:02 pm

which album? beacons? it is free...thats how i got it. enter in 0 or free and you can get it!

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:07 pm

Brute wrote:
axe, please, stop talking like that. there were several reasons your post got deleted
1) the thread was a BBCcodde practice. i cant type the codes in notepad then host them in Firefox, since that runs on html.
2) i wrote down "test" and you wrote something like " i like this too". thast is a USELESS post and was obviously pointless.
3) you always take the offensive and assume when i delete a post, im attacking the user. WRONG! i delete stuff cuse i dont think it is post worthy. i dont care if you post it, byd, or lor, or jakey234 (whatever)

SO PLEASE! STOP taking the offensive. im getting tired of it. especially the language. i curse alot and often, but when someone starts to take an offensive argument and starts to curse, it upsets me.

and you being sad about me deleting your "post" is no reason for not looking at a COMPLETED thread.

are we cool bro-montana?

Holy....

I was fucking with you lol

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:53 pm

well, i just cant read that.

"You totally deleted my post. Jackass. Anyway I'll definitely check this out tomorrow (or later today I guess). I just got off work so yeah, after I wake up"

i mean, if you put "lol" or "jk", or "haha" i would have discredited it.
but you explicitly called me a jackass. i dont see any of the other admins or mods acting this.....nonchalantly

deep down i know you are joking....but everytime i question that, i lose a small bit of respect for you. please dont put me in that situation

wow, im in a dark mood today

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:59 pm

Golly gee whiz batman!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486569
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:00 pm

/threadsux
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:01 pm

now that, that is funny.

to the bat mobile!

edit
you suck mc.

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:05 pm

thank you Very Happy

I'll check out the band now, and report on my findings later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:06 pm

its my internet rapport that makes me so lovable.....

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:11 pm

After listening to one song I'm deciding that I'll just listen to Blooted Science because, sorry to say, that fucking blows IMO and I can't stand to listen to another song.

I was hoping for some industrial-like ambient sounding music.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:18 pm

but blotted science is all over the place and technical and frenetic. i like beacons becuase it seems to have an overall feel and theme. (quick side-bar, i listened to Trist's Hin today) i feel like cloudkicker uses the overall ideas of ambient styles of music and tries to apply it to a more progressive style of music...

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:21 pm

It might also be because I'm really, REALLY not in the mood for progressive metal right now Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:23 pm

Mista Conthulha wrote:
It might also be because I'm really, REALLY not in the mood for progressive metal right now Razz
oh, i definitely have feelings like that. like, i was in a bad mood today and feeling really lost, so thats why i played Hin....other days i would have gotten 2 minutes in and given up. i went 48 minutes in before i had to leave.

do me a favor and dont vote, but come back another time when you are in the mood (regardless of time) and then re-evaluate it.
thanks

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:25 pm

I haven't listened to any metal in the past couple of days, which is rare. Mostly just 60s-70s stuff and hipster music.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:28 pm

i do that....in fact...im not really even listening to metal at all. ive just been playing all the instrumental stuff

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:34 pm

You should get sad or angry or excited and just blast something to get you back

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:37 pm

i know right? i was bummed out yesterday and i played some Trist. but it doesnt have me running back to metal
i like metal, but im totally digging instrumentality. and i always play metal at the gym.

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Palpi of Lor
Pure Class

Number of posts : 594
Hedonistic Glory : 3313
Joined In : 2010-05-03
Location : GETTING MY FAT RUBBED BY IB IN THE DEPTHS OF HELL!!

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:42 pm

everyone on this site has terrible joke detectors
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:46 pm

palpi, download and listen to the album, then ill permit you to crack wise with the best of us

and im super self centered. i dont make threads very often so when i do, i feel bad when no one talks about them or does anything about it.
le sigh

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)   

Back to top Go down

The Song of the...damn. It's been awhile. Just listen why dont you (VOTE TWICE!!!)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1