Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10840
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:55 am

A town near drug cartel capital Juarez, Mexico, had just one applicant for police chief after a spate of killings of public officials in drug-related violence.

So now the new chief in Guadalupe, a town of 10,000 residents near the Texas border, is 20-year-old college criminology major Marisol Valles García.

Public officials have increasingly become the targets of assassination as Mexican cartels try to tighten their grasp on the country. Just this year, 11 Mexican mayors have been slain, including the former mayor of Guadalupe, who was killed in June. In the small town, "police officers and security agents have been killed, some of them beheaded," according to the AFP.

Valles tells a local paper that she took the job to help the town's people become less fearful. "Afraid? Everyone is afraid and it's very natural. What motivates me here is that the project [to make the community safer] is very good and can do a lot for my town. I know that we are going to change and remove this," she said.

[Photos: See more of 20-year-old Marisol Valles García]

One Mexican criminology professor told the Arizona Republic that getting elected to public office in Mexico "is like winning a tiger in a raffle."

"Before, it used to be an attractive job, living on the public payroll," said Dante Haro of the University of Guadalajara. "Now being a town mayor is very difficult, not just because of the economic problems but also this issue of obedience to organized crime."

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said recently that Mexico is "looking more and more like Colombia looked 20 years ago," when drug lords had a chokehold on many public officials.

A young Guadalupe citizen complained to Valles, "We are spending a great part of our lives locked up inside our homes," according to a Spanish-language paper. Valles responded that she wants to encourage more events for young people in the town.

[Photos: Mexico's brutal drug war]

"The weapons we have are principles and values, which are the best weapons for prevention," Valles told CNN en Espańol. "Our work will be pure prevention. We are not going to be doing anything else other than prevention."

More than 28,000 people have died in the country's drug violence since President Felipe Calderon declared war on the drug cartels in 2006.

While I do support the cause, she's pretty much fucking dead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 16108
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:04 am

Mexico is pretty fucked up. I wish they could find some way to fix the country, there are plenty of good people who don't deserve to live in a place like that. Then they want to come to the U.S. to escape the violence and hardship, but the United States' laws prevent them from coming legally which negatively affects our country. It's really a bigger deal than a lot of people think, and not just for Mexico.

Also, I agree. She's probably going to die because of this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:14 am

I personally think the problem might go away if both the US and Mexico legalize drugs, but who knows.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:45 am

They need to at least legalize marijuana. Not hard drugs though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11227
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:22 pm

ive seen this before but didnt read into it. She might die, but she is ballzy as fucking hell. major fucking respect. people should try to help her out.

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
ImendiaBurzum
Elder

Number of posts : 15458
Hedonistic Glory : 10729
Joined In : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:45 pm

mexico will legalize drugs....its a fact
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/dommaster66
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5569
Joined In : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:09 pm

It doesn't matter if they legalize them, it matters if we legalize them or not. Us having drugs illegal is the whole reason the Mexican cartels can make money. We even sell them their guns. So really, it's our fault Mexico is so fucked up in the first place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:18 pm

legalizing it would seriously make everything better. it would also make the economy better because it would be taxed and it would make the distro safer because it would be government regulated. Also, why illegalize things that make people happy?

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:15 pm

PortraitOfSanity wrote:
It doesn't matter if they legalize them, it matters if we legalize them or not. Us having drugs illegal is the whole reason the Mexican cartels can make money. We even sell them their guns. So really, it's our fault Mexico is so fucked up in the first place.

I'm just here to point out the stupidity of that last statement
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:36 pm

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that it's entirely the US fault that Mexico is fucked up, but we do play a large role with the war on drugs and NAFTA being the two main things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10507
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:39 pm

She is FUCKED.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:22 pm

Axe wrote:
PortraitOfSanity wrote:

I'm just here to point out the stupidity of that last statement

How is that stupid? We buy their drugs. We sell them their guns. We supply absolutely no positive change in the country at all. And NAFTA fucked them up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:52 am

We buy the drugs because they smuggle them into our country and sell them to douchebag drug addicts. As for selling them their guns, it's because the people misuse them. You can easily get guns here as well, and we don't have nearly the same amount of gang and drug related violence. That's like say it's our fault that Bin Laden attacked the U.S. because we trained the Afghans and gave them weapons to fight during the Afghan War. No, they attacked us because they are fucking morons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:02 pm

Haha, I'm a douchebag drug addict Razz. Anyway, the point I'm making on the drug side of that is that if the drugs were legal, and sold legally here, there would be no profit margin for the drug cartels. That's just common sense.

On the gun side, no it's not like saying Bin Laden attacked us because we trained/supplied them. It's like saying that the Taliban during the Afghan wars were using U.S military hardware. That's not debatable. We had helicopters shot down by stingers, and we have border patrol being killed with guns sold to the cartels by Americans. That's not debateable. The U.S is the #1 weapons supplier in the world. It's amazing to think of how much blood we have on our hands.

And on top of all the negative stuff we pull down there, we're hardly doing anything positive at all. They're our neighbor for fuck's sake. This affects us! All these isolationist assholes who say we shouldn't help, they're not our country, are full of shit. Look at where isolationism got us before WW2, the world went down the shitter and it took us years to grow some nuts and do anything about it.

Oh, and on a side note, a friend from another forum lives in Ciudad Juarez, and a high school party on the other side of town was shot up. http://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=23492
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:07 pm

Yeah, shit in Mexico is pretty intense. A few years back there was a terrorist attack by the cartels where they threw grenades into a town square and some distant relatives of mine were killed during the incident. More recently, I went to Mexico in the summer to visit my grandparents. The area is extremely poor and rural, yet I overheard my grandfather and uncle talking about how the cartels are trying to extort the local vendors. Shit's pretty intense man.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:21 pm

PortraitOfSanity wrote:
Haha, I'm a douchebag drug addict Razz. Anyway, the point I'm making on the drug side of that is that if the drugs were legal, and sold legally here, there would be no profit margin for the drug cartels. That's just common sense.

On the gun side, no it's not like saying Bin Laden attacked us because we trained/supplied them. It's like saying that the Taliban during the Afghan wars were using U.S military hardware. That's not debatable. We had helicopters shot down by stingers, and we have border patrol being killed with guns sold to the cartels by Americans. That's not debateable. The U.S is the #1 weapons supplier in the world. It's amazing to think of how much blood we have on our hands.

So it's our fault idiots misuse weapons? A microcosm for that is a gun store owner being blamed for somebody shooting someone with a gun purchased from his store. It's not his fault, it's the fool who commited murder. Also, I don't think drugs should be legal. I think marijuana should be, but there are no positives to legalizing hard drugs other than fixing mexicos drug problem.

PortraitOfSanity wrote:

And on top of all the negative stuff we pull down there, we're hardly doing anything positive at all. They're our neighbor for fuck's sake. This affects us! All these isolationist assholes who say we shouldn't help, they're not our country, are full of shit. Look at where isolationism got us before WW2, the world went down the shitter and it took us years to grow some nuts and do anything about it.

Oh, and on a side note, a friend from another forum lives in Ciudad Juarez, and a high school party on the other side of town was shot up. http://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=23492

I agree we should help Mexico, because it's the American thing to do. But we shouldn't help a country if it goes against the best interests of our country. It's not being selfish, it's being smart. We shouldn't legalize drugs here so Mexico's people don't have the incentive to be idiots. That's just going to substantially increase the drug use in our country. We should find other ways of helping them. We shouldn't have to harm our country to help them. Another point I want to make is people need to learn to help themselves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:03 pm

Wtf dood. Legalizing drugs would hardly bring up drug usage if at all because people who want drugs will get them. The only difference is that the crime rate will go down (because drug usage wouldn't be considered a crime anymore), drugs will be safer because there would be more regulation, and all the tax money would help the country. I personally do not support the use of drugs, but clearly the ban on drugs has completely backfired, so why not kill two birds with one stone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486686
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:25 pm

Prohibition doesn't work, as we have learned in the past.

Why the fuck does it still exist?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MarshallEMG
True Gentleman

Number of posts : 1619
Hedonistic Glory : 4955
Joined In : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:22 pm

I suddenly have more respect for illegals, seeing what shit they have to deal with and why they want to come over here
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackstar
The Mighty Mite

Number of posts : 8395
Hedonistic Glory : 11811
Joined In : 2009-03-10

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:35 pm

MarshallEMG wrote:
I suddenly have more respect for illegals, seeing what shit they have to deal with and why they want to come over here

Statement of truth is true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.circleofdestruction.net
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:00 am

Taxer666 wrote:
Wtf dood. Legalizing drugs would hardly bring up drug usage if at all because people who want drugs will get them. The only difference is that the crime rate will go down (because drug usage wouldn't be considered a crime anymore), drugs will be safer because there would be more regulation, and all the tax money would help the country. I personally do not support the use of drugs, but clearly the ban on drugs has completely backfired, so why not kill two birds with one stone?

So you're saying we should legalize heroin, cocaine, meth, all of that shit? Marijuana should be legal, I agree, but those other drugs should not. Sure, it will bring crime rates down, but do you really want to be able to buy meth at your local gas station? That's retarded
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:31 pm

I think candy and rainbows should be legal everywhere because it would make everybody so happy. Sure, hitler might come and try and eat all the chocolate desserts, but we can counter attack him with our teddy bear rocket cannons. You all might be thinking, "yeah but that will just increase tooth decay" I SAY NAY!!!!!! HAPPINESS IS THE NATURAL PROTECTOR AGAINST PLAQUE!!!! some of you might also argue that it was the US that destroyed Candy Land, but it was not us, but the evil twin of Willy Wonka, who we shall refer to him as Doo Doo Head Man or DDHM. We should focus all our efforts on capturing DDHM because he is gonna eat all the ice cream and none of the bunnies from the fluffy unicorn paradise will be able to make the root bear floats of love. DO IT FOR THE BUNNIES!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSFB2ytWJLQ

Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:21 pm

Axe wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:

So you're saying we should legalize heroin, cocaine, meth, all of that shit? Marijuana should be legal, I agree, but those other drugs should not. Sure, it will bring crime rates down, but do you really want to be able to buy meth at your local gas station? That's retarded

Not really, but it's better to buy that stuff from a gas station than to buy it off a shady drug dealer.

LOR wrote:
I think candy and rainbows should be legal everywhere because it would make everybody so happy. Sure, hitler might come and try and eat all the chocolate desserts, but we can counter attack him with our teddy bear rocket cannons. You all might be thinking, "yeah but that will just increase tooth decay" I SAY NAY!!!!!! HAPPINESS IS THE NATURAL PROTECTOR AGAINST PLAQUE!!!! some of you might also argue that it was the US that destroyed Candy Land, but it was not us, but the evil twin of Willy Wonka, who we shall refer to him as Doo Doo Head Man or DDHM. We should focus all our efforts on capturing DDHM because he is gonna eat all the ice cream and none of the bunnies from the fluffy unicorn paradise will be able to make the root bear floats of love. DO IT FOR THE BUNNIES!!!!

Shut the fuck up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:27 pm

LOR wrote:

Shut the fuck up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:29 pm

Taxer666 wrote:
Axe wrote:
Taxer666 wrote:

Not really, but it's better to buy that stuff from a gas station than to buy it off a shady drug dealer.

I agree completely, although it would still be... I don't know. I think people should just have to intelligence to not do stuff like that, but sadly 99.9% of the people in this world are retarded.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11443
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:31 pm

LOR wrote:

Shut the fuck up.

JK, I loled.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:09 pm

🤣

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied   

Back to top Go down

College student named police chief in Mexico; no one else applied
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1