Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Concert Reiview: Devin Townsend Project

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Reivas
Pure Class

Number of posts : 681
Hedonistic Glory : 3318
Joined In : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Concert Reiview: Devin Townsend Project   Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:54 pm

Last night, I went to a show that I've been looking forward to for about 3 months or so...well since it was announced. I saw Devin Townsend with TesseracT!

The location for this show was the place where I've seen most of my metal shows at over the past five years, which is the Palladium. The Palladium has two stages, the upstairs stage is smaller but can fit around 600 people, and the bottom stage is pretty damn large, I think I heard it can fit around 2,500 or so...my facts may be wrong, but oh well...

This show was scheduled for the upstairs stage, this has one major advantage over the downstairs, that being that the show is much more intimate and personal, there's no barrier between the stage and the crowd. The sound isn't perfect there, but all things considered, it isn't horrible...the atmosphere is great!

Because this show only had two bands I suppose I'll talk a bit more in detail about them than I did with my Immolation review...

On a side note...as of my last few shows, I wear earplugs at every show now, it preserves my hearing quite a bit, and on top of that, I can hear a lot more definition in the instruments...it makes a difference in my opinion!

TesseracT

There is a lot I really liked about TesseracT. I thought they were a great opening band for Devin and they played for a generous amount of time...which was really cool to hear and see. I believe they played most, if not all of their recently released Concealing Fate EP, along with a few other songs. It was really nice to hear them live as they sounded better than they did on the EP. Considering all the polyrhythm stuff in their music, I was impressed by how incredibly locked in everyone was, the singer mostly does clean singing, however, he pulls it off live in a very good way, and fits with the music.

If I were to consider anything a major problem with TesseracT, it would be that they use 7 strings, however, really only stick to the low end of things except for a few parts.

Something I absolutely loved was their clean guitar tone, it sounded AWESOME live. I have pretty high hopes that when they finally put out an album, it'll be quite good!

Devin Townsend Project

Well, here's what I cared about the most.
I'm not gonna lie, he put on one of the best performances musically I have ever heard/witnessed in my life. I've been to more concerts than I can count, especially this year, so I guess that may be saying something...I am literally at a loss for words beyond "this was AMAZING." Quite honestly, my mind is still processing just how great this concert was.

No other musician possesses the type of charisma that Devin Townsend has, not to say he is better or more charismatic, he just just very much one of a kind. He's one of the most amusing frontmen I have ever seen on stage. The other being Mikael Akerfeldt's hilarious/dry humor, which I'll get into the next time I see Opeth (or Bloodbath?)

I've seen Devin live twice this year, something I noticed is just how great of a vocalist he is, and just how fluent he is in mixing his guitar skills with his singing/screaming...he's not my favorite vocalist, but he's definitely one of them!

Okay, time for a flaw or two...for one, 90-100 minutes doesn't feel like enough time...I wish he could have played for a bit longer. The second is by no fault of anyone...but for the first four songs, Devin's guitar crapped out on him pretty often. It was kind of jarring, but still, the band behind him made it so that was no issue at all!

Overall though. This show was beyond my expectations...and that's saying something! I can only think of two shows this year that even come close (The Nile show I saw in January, and the Nile show coming up next Thursday, expect a review for that one...)
I'd recommend this show to ANYONE...even some random person passing by on the street!

Also, I got to meet Devin after the show, extremely nice guy. He signed my ticket and chatted with my friends and me for a few minutes! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Devin Townsend Project   Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:22 am

Devin Townsend is a winner :3
Back to top Go down
Master Cthulhu
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 3626
Hedonistic Glory : 2147486573
Joined In : 2009-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Devin Townsend Project   Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:25 am

*winrar
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reivas
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Devin Townsend Project   Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:20 am

Also, any Strapping Young Lad fans here...

My friend asked Devin about if there was ANY chance of a reunion. It's basically not gonna happen pretty much ever I'd imagine.
He was extremely respectful and explained it in a very good way. He wrote that music when he was in his 20's and whatnot, and plans to continue with his own material.

Also, he is planning to release a live DVD eventually, with the Tuska Ziltoid performance!
(For those who don't know, Ghost is also finished, and he is planning on recording Deconstruction soon, and he finished writing the second Ziltoid!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reivas
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Devin Townsend Project   Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:09 am

This was the setlist by the way! O:

Addicted!
Supercrush!
Kingdom
Deadhead
Truth
Om
By Your Command
Life
Gaia
Bad Devil
-----------------
Bend it Like Bender!
Color Your World
The Greys
Deep Peace
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11330
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Devin Townsend Project   Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:14 pm

Sounds awesome. Very Happy

I need to listen to Townsend some more. I've always liked what I'ver heard from him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lavvis
A Good Fellow

Number of posts : 52
Hedonistic Glory : 2544
Joined In : 2010-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Devin Townsend Project   Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:40 pm

I need to meet this man
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reivas
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Devin Townsend Project   Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:53 am

He is perhaps one of the nicest musicians I have ever met. Extremely friendly and genuinely appreciative of the fans. It's awesome
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concert Reiview: Devin Townsend Project   

Back to top Go down

Concert Reiview: Devin Townsend Project
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1