Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Trve or False?
Darkness Eternal was trve as fvck
5%
 5% [ 1 ]
Darkness Eternal was decent but not my thing
10%
 10% [ 2 ]
Darkness Eternal was meh
15%
 15% [ 3 ]
Gallowbraid was trve as fvck
30%
 30% [ 6 ]
Gallowbraid was decent but not my thing
5%
 5% [ 1 ]
Gallowbraid was meh
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Nechochwen was trve as fvck
10%
 10% [ 2 ]
Nechochwen was decent but not my thing
20%
 20% [ 4 ]
Nechochwen was meh
5%
 5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 20

AuthorMessage
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15989
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:17 am

Sorry I haven't gotten around to it yet, I'm downloading them as we speak. Expect a full report later tonight or tomorrow

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:53 am

that's sort of funny Raul, didn't I show you Nechochwen for you showing me Gallowbraid?

still, I've already heard everything here as the situation stands
Back to top Go down
Reivas
Pure Class

Number of posts : 681
Hedonistic Glory : 3312
Joined In : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:12 pm

Halfway through the first Darkness Eternal track. Pretty solid stuff...could sound a little bit better with the guitars a little higher in the mix, but otherwise pretty cool shit...

Update: I'm halfway through the album now...the lead guitar tone bothers me slightly for some reason.

Overall I'm thinking this is pretty damn solid for a death metal album, the drumming is kind of bad when he's blasting in my opinion. The riffs are nice and doomy mid paced death metal for the most part and the actual leads sound fine, I just think that the tone could be better...

Some of the songs could definitely have some fat trimmed since they just feel like they drag at times...but the clean tone he uses is great and fits the music perfectly.

Update#2: I'm 2 minutes into it and I can say the best song on this is Upon the Throne of Eternal Blasphemy...song is badass...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11324
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:39 pm

I've tried listening to Darkness Eternal a few times. I just can't do it without wanting to listen to something else. Just not my cup of tea. I want to actually have listened to every band there before I make a proper review though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10721
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:23 pm

trilithonian wrote:
that's sort of funny Raul, didn't I show you Nechochwen for you showing me Gallowbraid?

still, I've already heard everything here as the situation stands

Yes you did ;o
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reivas
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:25 pm

Listening to Gallowbraid now.

Loving it so far...it's a nice change of pace from Darkness Eternal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

Number of posts : 5941
Hedonistic Glory : 9725
Joined In : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:29 pm

Just started Darkness Eternal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reivas
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:34 pm

Okay so overall...

Darkness Eternal 7/10 - Solid shit for sure.

Gallowbraid 9/10 - Great, I can guarantee I'll return to this.

Nechochwen 7/10 - Solid again, but couldn't get into them compared to Gallowbraid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:20 pm

Darkness Eternal has one song left to go.

I give it a 85%~90%. If listening to it in the future is as enjoyable as this first listen was then it gets a 90%.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:24 pm

It's a grower, so it only gets better after multiple listens because you pick up on the small intricate details you missed on the first listen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:32 pm

Gallowbraid sounds okay but the death metal riffs and noise in the background are ruining it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14867
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:59 pm

ive listened to the gallowbraid album 4 times now. oh yeah, good find

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:01 pm

I say 85%. I found a few of the melodies moving. The rest sounded pretty good and it had plenty of variety. Solid with a few standouts...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:04 pm

Eh...Nechochwen had some smooth sounds and stuff. And the metal parts were decent. It had some cool moments though. I give it an 80%.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:52 pm

VR told me to say this: "Hey assholes, listen to my music week."
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:39 am

he listens to slipknot so I'm not participating
Back to top Go down
VacuousReality

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:12 pm

I was talking about Taxer's music week, and the audience was only the people who have declared that they are going to be participating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15989
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:04 am

Darkness Eternal
I really wanted to like this, but I just couldn't. The great riffs were completely drowned out by the horrible guitar tone. Don't get me wrong, there were some great moments and it definitely wasn't bad, his tone was just horrible. There is definitely potential here, but it hasn't been met. I'd probably give them a 6/10

Gallowbraid
I thoroughly enjoyed this as I expected, and probably as you expected. Some parts definitely have that Pale Folklore sound and I can tell these guys are huge fans of Agalloch. Especially the vocalist, who tries his best to imitate Haughm. The fact that they sound so similar to Agalloch is the biggest turn off for me. I love when bands have clear influences in other bands I enjoy, but I like it when they add some of their own ideas into the mix and that's something that I feel wasn't done on this EP. It's a solid release, and even though it's blatant Agalloch worship, it was done right. I can see myself returning to this in the future. 8.5/10

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11324
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:42 pm

I tried, I really tried, to listen to Darkness Eternal but I just couldn't. Not my cup of tea at all. I kept wandering off and listening to other things.

Gallowbraid on the other hand, I really enjoyed. Like Axe said, it reminds me a lot of Agalloch. I'll definetly give them a few more listens.

Nechwochen were really good to start with and I really liked the metal parts but it got a little boring as it went on. I'll keep them with me though. They're a band that I would enjoy if they came up on shuffle but I doubt I'll be jumping to listen to the album all the way through again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kriov
Pure Class

Number of posts : 730
Hedonistic Glory : 3558
Joined In : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:41 pm

Darkness Eternal was a fun listen, I enjoy some good deathmetal.

Gallowbraid was pretty awesome too, i liked that alot.

nechwochen just didnt do it for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scandinavianaggression.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)   

Back to top Go down

Music Club Week #3: Screw Your Rules I'm Doing 3 Albums (Well, 2 and EP)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2