Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Aeonforge

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Reivas
Pure Class

Number of posts : 681
Hedonistic Glory : 3310
Joined In : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Aeonforge   Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:01 pm

So, sure you know the guys from A Window to the Sun have their project. But on top of that is another band which goes by the name of Aeonforge!

A little backstory behind Aeonforge is necessary. Aeonforge was born from the remains of the first band I formed, which was named Forgotten Aeon. Time passed, and members joined and left, eventually I got so fed up with things that I seriously considered scrapping the entire thing, however, Ant and I talked, and we decided to form Aeonforge from the remains.

This song, The Dreamscape of Chaos (A Vision So False pt. 1) is the second song I ever wrote, except for drums...which I finished a little less than a week ago! For that reason, this song has a special place in my heart!

Anyway, enough babble...this is something COMPLETELY different than AWttS...and like AWttS, every song is extremely different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtgP8IvWEnM

Enjoy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:03 pm

yes, abandon hope all ye who click the link.

but seriously, expect manic riffs and unbridled aggression
Back to top Go down
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10719
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:14 pm

Sounds pretty damn good, as expected
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reivas
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:16 pm

Ant gets rep for the great job he did with this! lolol Razz

Anyway, you guys really don't know how excited I am for the ball to finally be moving on Aeonforge.

This song is probably the most "chaotic" yet still extremely melodic things I've worked on. We actually have a very good amount of material for Aeonforge already! Considering I've been technically working on this project for about 5 years now, I'd hope so! Haha...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:30 pm

Awesome :DD
Back to top Go down
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11322
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:35 am

Wow, this sounds really fucking good. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Another song... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Iinbh4OOM

Titled Ne Frustra Vixisse Videar, probably the first real Aeonforge song written. The song saw many incarnations down the years but this is a final form... enjoy...
Back to top Go down
Reivas
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:00 pm

This means we have two songs (out of like what, 15?) posted now! :>

Thanks guys! The fact that people like this means a ton to us! I'm so proud of this stuff and so excited to be hearing something I've been working my ass off for ages really coming through now, to say it's a pleasure to work with Ant and Raul would be a massive understatement and in not on A Window to the Sun, but Aeonforge! Which was seriously DAYS from me just chopping completely, or merging into something else...

Music and my bands are absolutely my fucking life's work, haha this is my passion and my calling! The best part is we've BARELY SCRATCHED THE SURFACE GUYS! I promise you that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR
Ninja Viking Lord of the Pit of Despair and Stuff

Number of posts : 7797
Hedonistic Glory : 11106
Joined In : 2010-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:11 pm

do you guys all live in different states? i keep seeing you guys talking about living in random areas of the country lol thats pretty cool.

View user profile http://myspace.com/halloflor
Reivas
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:15 pm

You hit the nail on the head, I'm from New Hampshire, Ant is from Alabama (though originally he was in FL) and Raul is from California.

We live in an age where collaboration from so far away is possible, in that respect this is an awesome thing we're attempting!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:17 pm

how did you guys find eachother?

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:20 pm

... cat's out the bag, I guess. Phantasy Star Online.

A lot of good things came from it, but there's no looking back no matter how much anybody wants to.
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:21 pm

lol what do you mean? thats cool. slightly nerdy but who isn't?

Reivas
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:29 pm

At least it wasn't World of Warcraft lolol

But yeah, there was some Phantasy Star Online forum where I met Ant and Raul on, and things eventually moved from there. Ant and I started the band with me on bass/vocals and my friend/bass teacher on guitar with another friend of mine being considered for second guitar when he got good enough...never could find a consistent drummer though haha...looked for ages...

Anyway, long story short and cutting some useless information out, Ant rejoined and Raul joined as a sort of different outlet to A Window to the Sun, which in retrospect, was a great idea.
I LOVE A Window to the Sun, but I need multiple outlets as the guys know. I strongly feel it prevents long term burnout and can really enrich and help a musician focus!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:47 pm

i do the same thing. bunch of side-projects.

btw. Palpi used to be OBSSESSED WITH WOW. lol. we are huge nerds... obviously. ive never played it though im proud to say Very Happy

Reivas
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:57 pm

Cool! Though I really don't consider anything I'm in as a "side project" when I have that mentality I feel like I am somehow limiting myself in some way
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:29 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsoGYtNrMBA

The Hollow Vault of the Heavens... evolving into the Copernican model
Back to top Go down
Reivas
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:45 am

That's right! 3 songs in (technically) less than 3 days! >Very Happy

The Hollow Vault of the Heavens was probably one of my favorite to work on! I love the break after the intensity...
Probably one of my best written Aeonforge songs at the moment!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:19 am

Reivas wrote:
Cool! Though I really don't consider anything I'm in as a "side project" when I have that mentality I feel like I am somehow limiting myself in some way

i actually have to view things as side projects so i dont lose focus on my true project. i enjoy many genres so i like to explore them, but not to the degree in which i would like to pursue my main focus. If i focused to greatly on the others, it would detract from my focus on the main. Though, i agree with your previous statement, that other projects keeps things fresh, so it is still necessary that i pursue other things, though not as strongly.

Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15987
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:02 am

It sounds pretty awesome actually. What do you guys use to synthesize your drums and orchestrations? (hopes that it's something free)

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:08 am

Not free. Hurt my wallet more than you know.

Quantum Leap Ministry of Rock (percussion)
Kontakt 4: Battery (percussion, some samples)
Project SAM Symphobia (brass, woodwinds, strings)
My own samples of instruments (violin and various orchestral percussion) taken from various participants at a church in southern Florida

That said my quality suffers largely due to the fact I'm little more than an amateur at mixing. If I had the ability to send my .wavs to somebody for the intent of mastering, I would be all for it, but that is sadly not the way the people choose to work. Raul is trying to wrap his head around utilizing Pro Tools 8 as I've sent him the I/O necessary to utilize the program. I hope he can do it because it's certainly not in me to.
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:03 pm

trilithonian wrote:
Not free. Hurt my wallet more than you know.

Quantum Leap Ministry of Rock (percussion)
Kontakt 4: Battery (percussion, some samples)
Project SAM Symphobia (brass, woodwinds, strings)
My own samples of instruments (violin and various orchestral percussion) taken from various participants at a church in southern Florida

That said my quality suffers largely due to the fact I'm little more than an amateur at mixing. If I had the ability to send my .wavs to somebody for the intent of mastering, I would be all for it, but that is sadly not the way the people choose to work. Raul is trying to wrap his head around utilizing Pro Tools 8 as I've sent him the I/O necessary to utilize the program. I hope he can do it because it's certainly not in me to.

fuck i wish i understood midi shit and drum machine shit better. I DONT FUCKING KNOW HOW TO USE ANYTHING!!!!!!!!11

the worst part is, thats part of my freakin major lol.

ugh. im fucking awful... lol

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:25 pm

Keyboard is just something I learned how to play by doing. I'm sure you're familiar with that much.

MIDI is something I've learned on my own time as a musician. It's not particularly difficult but it is very time consuming.

I believe I was having a conversation with somebody concerning massive piano rolls and sequencing. That's practically what MIDI is at its core when it comes to composition. I don't write much music, but when I do I queue it in a piano roll in a variety of DAW programs (Cubase, FLS, Pro Tools, take your pick). From there you could trigger particular points of the composition that are beyond the reach of your hands with MIDI trigger keys while you play the rest of the composition as is.

For example: if I wanted a crash to occur at the same measure as three kick drums, I would write the measure and assign it to a key. Simple enough, right?

You can look at it horizontally or vertically, depending on preference. I, of course, don't prefer this method to real notation but I don't actually know standard notation and I can't read sheet music either. MIDI is a refuge for people like me who find technology easier to adapt to than the authenticity of musical knowledge. Perhaps I'm blasphemous for doing things this way, but it's quite educational when it comes to learning programs.
Back to top Go down
Reivas
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:46 pm

The only one of us that has any real formal training is Raul...I've taken bass lessons but have picked up guitar info via internet!

I have studied theory though...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11322
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:20 pm

Listening to the second song now. Damn, you guys are good!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

Number of posts : 15856
Hedonistic Glory : 14865
Joined In : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:38 pm

yeah, im genuinely surprised, and that was not an insult.
Truthfully, everytime people i know have a "band" it always sucks. But ive been proven wrong several times on this forum. im glad to add aeonforge to that list of exceptions. great sound, seems like the lower end of the sound range could be better represented (idk, its not tiny, but im missing some deep heavy noises it feels like)

great effort. i really like this. ESPECIALLY the lack of vox, oh yeah really dig

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com
Kriov
Pure Class

Number of posts : 730
Hedonistic Glory : 3556
Joined In : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:20 pm

i like it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scandinavianaggression.com
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:44 pm

^ great sig is great

Master Cthulhu wrote:
Where Bathory was an iron broadsword, this band is a big plastic one with "viking!" written on it in sparkly purple magic marker.
sarainadream wrote:
No fucking worries I guess you cunts, just wanted to bloody well plant the careful seed in your maggot infested brains.
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:30 pm

trilithonian wrote:
Keyboard is just something I learned how to play by doing. I'm sure you're familiar with that much.

MIDI is something I've learned on my own time as a musician. It's not particularly difficult but it is very time consuming.

I believe I was having a conversation with somebody concerning massive piano rolls and sequencing. That's practically what MIDI is at its core when it comes to composition. I don't write much music, but when I do I queue it in a piano roll in a variety of DAW programs (Cubase, FLS, Pro Tools, take your pick). From there you could trigger particular points of the composition that are beyond the reach of your hands with MIDI trigger keys while you play the rest of the composition as is.

For example: if I wanted a crash to occur at the same measure as three kick drums, I would write the measure and assign it to a key. Simple enough, right?

You can look at it horizontally or vertically, depending on preference. I, of course, don't prefer this method to real notation but I don't actually know standard notation and I can't read sheet music either. MIDI is a refuge for people like me who find technology easier to adapt to than the authenticity of musical knowledge. Perhaps I'm blasphemous for doing things this way, but it's quite educational when it comes to learning programs.

Im ok with that stuff somewhat. Its the more intricate and detailed parts of midi i have problems with. assigning shit to the master for different slaves and then... pretty much everything ever about logic pro 9. fuck that shit. its just hard for me i think because i dont own the program. the only time im exposed to it is when im at the university. i also cant purchase it because i dont have a mac. and im not purchasing that to buy something else cuz i have no money. im also a commuter so i cant just go the university whenever i feel like it to mess around cuz i take the train. ugh. this was completely irrelevant im sorry

on the piano roll you were talking about. is that the "keyboard tabs" you were referring to earlier? are these keyboard tabs just for MIDI? that makes more sense to me then what i was thinking (a piece of paper with a thousand piano rolls for each individual event) cuz then its just one piano roll for everything i would guess. i seriously have never heard of keyboard tabs before so i dont know anything.

o yeah, SOMETHING ON TOPIC (no freakin way): your music is freakin cool. honestly.

Reivas
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:10 pm

Thank you so much guys! Very Happy

Brute: I really appreciate your comment, I know what you mean when you say that though...

As for vocals...they're actually coming eventually, the issue is I do not own a microphone and no longer have a means to record, however we don't plan to be a band that never shuts the fuck up either. And you don't have to worry about them sounding bad, or anything like that, I have insanely high standards when it comes to my own harsh and clean vocals, so WHEN they're there, I'm hoping they'll be really really good! You can actually ask Raul or Ant, they've heard plenty of my vocal recordings from ages ago haha.

Darkflame: As for the "we're good" thing...thanks! I really hope so, haha. I've been working on this project for years on end now, so you have no idea how excited I am to hear things moving. We have boatloads of material and I'm thrilled to be sharing it! Very Happy

LOR: If you're curious how shit is generally written. I write and organize my ideas in Guitar Pro, which can be exported to midi. Which I then send to Raul and Ant and we kind of take it from there...I probably have 30 something ideas for songs for Aeonforge, they're constantly being worked on as well...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:24 pm

your welcome man. art is about just sharing the collective creations with fellow artists.
having high standards make for more work, but an overall better product. i look foward to your other work for this project.

ant? who is dat

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
Reivas
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:32 pm

Ant is trilithonian, haha

And yeah haha. It's a great challenge to write some of my material, but it really pays off...it's also very cool people can hear the very first song I made (Ne Frustra)!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
link
Deliciously Fat

Number of posts : 7784
Hedonistic Glory : 10386
Joined In : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:33 pm

Gud stuff mang.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/linkinsbane/
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15987
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:55 am

Well god dammit! I don't have money!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:19 am

Axe wrote:
Well god dammit! I don't have money!

wanna start a club?

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:43 am

Concerning getting a Mac for music purposes: don't.

Logic pales in comparison to other DAWs (Reason, FLS, Cubase, any standalone East West app, even Sony faux-DAW apps).

If you have a Mac or a PC you should be using Pro Tools by default -- my hypocrisy comes in as being heavily against PT8 due to its confusing soundbank calls/functions and multiple other programming mishaps. I even have a keyboard that's been unofficially branded by Digidesign as "the Pro Tools keyboard," the interface is still god awful for a user-intuitive process.

Really, all of these things are testing what you like the most and what you find easiest. Then, obtaining samples, connecting your keyboard, playing, recording, and then finally mixing around.

Maybe one day we'll record in a traditional studio or have our playing professionally mastered -- who knows. I'm just concerned about performing the material and presenting it, now, as a free form of art.

EDIT: Ant is short for Anthony which is my birth name. That's why Lord Beavis up there keeps saying that.
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:20 am

im not really considering getting it for recording purposes (well that would only be portion of the reason), its just that for my university, everything is pretty much run off macs. I cant really open up files at my house and work on stuff because i dont have one and it makes life extremely difficult. also, i get MAJOR discounts on software if i had a mac to put them on. Logic normally being like 600-700 i can get for 150. thats ridiculous. Its almost worth buying a mac and then saving a fuck ton of money on programs.

Plus, thuogh it may just because of the school i go to, im hearing macs are better for recording purposes and that they are pretty much becoming like "the" thing to record with. Firewire apparently is a rapist as far as using interfaces is concerned i hear.

Reivas
Pure Class

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:57 am

trilithonian wrote:
Maybe one day we'll record in a traditional studio or have our playing professionally mastered -- who knows. I'm just concerned about performing the material and presenting it, now, as a free form of art.

EDIT: Ant is short for Anthony which is my birth name. That's why Lord Beavis up there keeps saying that.

I thought we were too kvlt to go into a traditional studio :<

Seriously though, yeah, right now we're really in no rush to throw together material anyway. Ant knows I'm a kind of a perfectionist concerning my music, that's only gonna be amplified tenfold when/if we traditionally record. Our longer songs will be an utter nightmare for everyone involved...at the end of the day, that'd be all that matters though. The sound would be monolithic and worth it in the end, it'd be a logistics and affordability thing though.

We're not even really making any massive effort to even look for a label/anything along those lines either (I have a few major contentions with labels anyway...)

and I've called him Ant for ages now, lolol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:06 pm

Just because your throughput to a device and interface is faster doesn't mean your recording is any better. If you're running on a metal lead into an interface through USB, serial or MIDI, you're going to transmit a signal just as well as you would electronically. Sure, you have a drop in latency, but by 2 or 3 milliseconds compared to USB 3.

People resort to Macs due to their ease of approach rather than their depth of design. That's for people who like thinking. VSTs are cross-platform and so are DAWs. Operating systems, shells and kernels don't make recording easier; hardware and software do.
Back to top Go down
breakyoudown
Feeling brassic
Feeling brassic

Number of posts : 27750
Hedonistic Glory : 25284
Joined In : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:13 pm

Outstanding

Brute
Omnisciently Omnipotent
Omnisciently Omnipotent

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:42 pm

i have never understood so little about a topic before.
my friend is a theater tech and sound design major. he talks about this alot and i can NEVER keep up

Master Cthulhu wrote:
sarainadream wrote:
Back to top Go down
LOR

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:12 pm

trilithonian wrote:
Just because your throughput to a device and interface is faster doesn't mean your recording is any better. If you're running on a metal lead into an interface through USB, serial or MIDI, you're going to transmit a signal just as well as you would electronically. Sure, you have a drop in latency, but by 2 or 3 milliseconds compared to USB 3.

People resort to Macs due to their ease of approach rather than their depth of design. That's for people who like thinking. VSTs are cross-platform and so are DAWs. Operating systems, shells and kernels don't make recording easier; hardware and software do.

you are now my go-to guy for tech shit.

deal with it

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aeonforge   

Back to top Go down

Aeonforge
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tip of the Hat :: Preposterous Palaver and Infinite Jest-
Jump to: