Tip of the Hat

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Genocya, Landmine Marathon and Skeletonwitch @ Lansing, MI

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15995
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Genocya, Landmine Marathon and Skeletonwitch @ Lansing, MI   Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:58 am

Well I finally got to see Skeletonwitch, which is something I've really wanted to do ever since I found out about them (interestingly enough when they were Children of Bodom's support for one of their North American tours and I decided to look them up. I like them a lot more than Bodom now). Me and one of my best friends made the 2 and a half hour drive up to Michigan's capital to a tiny bar, which we arrived at about 2 hours before the doors were scheduled to open for the show (although it was open to drunks and such). We hung around in the bar and mingled with the few people there, and even talked to the guys in Genocya before the show. I would have talked to the guys and girl in the two headlining bands, but I didn't want to bother them because they were setting up merch and getting the equipment ready to go. We even got a free Skeletonwitch preview Very Happy

Genocya
Genocya was up first, with a set running about 40 minutes. There weren't too many people in the bar at all, and one of the only people even standing up was the vocalist's girlfriend, which kinda made me feel bad. I would have been more involved, but I was conserving my energy for what was to come. They were solid, definitely not bad, but I expected more. Still yet, they did a decent job of warming the crowd up, because by the time their set was coming to a close I was just getting my neck adjusted for the night to come. They played an old school sounding death metal, with the occasional black metal tremolo picked riff. The archives list them as a death/black metal band, but the black metal elements are few. They had some really great moments, the occasional crushing riff and some moments that couldn't help but make the listener move a little. There was definitely potential here, but overall it wasn't anything too spectacular.

Landmine Marathon
With about a ten to fifteen minute wait between sets, Landmine Marathon took the stage. By this time me and my friend had made our way forward and were standing against the wall to the left of the stage. Grace Perry, the vocalist, began with the traditional opener, but then began asking people to move forward because the space directly in front of the stage was empty. Asking me second, I quickly moved forward. You don't have to ask me twice. The space filled out slightly, and they began their set. They started immediately with the ferocity of any big time band, even though they are still realatively unknown. And Grace had an amazing stage presence, if you can call it that, because she only spent about half the time on stage. The other have was spent on the floor, sporadically moving around and bumping into the listeners up front and getting in their faces. She was definitely the highlight of the band for me. At least three times she got into my face while belting out some of the harshest screams I've ever heard from a female metal vocalist. It was even more amazing live because of how small and pretty she was. The rest of the band did a great job too, and you couldn't help but bang your head. There were some great, thrashy riffs and some slow, crushing doomy death metal riffs which were spread apart in such a way that when the style changed, it was a breath of fresh air. Definitely a band worth looking into, I will definitely be listening to them a bit more.

Skeletonwitch
Landmine left the stage, and Skeletonwitch began setting up again for the last time of the night. By the time they were done, the bar had filled out to probably 3/4 capacity and the space in front of the stage was starting to fill. Chance got up and began talking to the audience, thanking Landmine Marathon for the tour support and then they dove right into Submit to the Suffering, the first track off of their most recent album Breathing the Fire. They played with the intensity heard on the album, only multiplied by about 10. Maybe everything sounds so much sweeter when the band is playing it to you in a super intimate setting. They definitely blew away my expectations. After charging through Submit, they ran right into Upon Wings of Black, the first track off of their second album Beyond the Permafrost. They were so full of energy that by the time the second track started I was in a full on headbang, growling along to the lyrics. Chance had an amazing stage presence as well, and he belted out the harsh lows and shrill screams even better than on the album. I looked around a few times and I could see that I wasn't the only one who couldn't stop my head. My real highlight of the night came, however, when they went into Beyond the Permafrost. This is something that I will probably never forget for the rest of my life. I was growling along, because of course it is one of my favorite SW songs, and Chance, who was right in front of me, motioned towards me and said "you know the lyrics, you do it with me now." He put the microphone up to me and we screamed

"None so cold
Frozen soul
Sub zero"

into the microphone. It's one thing for a vocalist to let the crowd sing, or scream, along but to do it to one person? That was definitely an amazing experience. After the section he gave me a thumbs up and resumed headbanging. The rest of the set went on with the same intensity. By the end of the set, I had ringing in my ears and whiplash. Mission success.

Post-concert
After the show, we went to get some merch. I got a tour poster, which I got signed by Grace and Chance. I also got a Breathing the Fire ziphoodie, Skeletonwitch Fall 2010 Skullsplitter Tour T shirt, Landmine Marathon Goat T shirt and a skeletonwitch cigarette lighter/bottle opener. I have a pic of my tour shirt, as well as some AWESOME pics of the show as soon as facebook cures it's down syndrome and uploads them. I talked to Grace for a few minutes when I bought the shirt and she was really down to earth, and she even complemented me on my Emperor shirt. I also metal chance, who was also really down to earth, as he walked and mingled through the crowds. He thanked me and my friend for being up front and for coming to the show, and I said I wouldn't miss it and that we even drove about three hours to get there. That's when he signed our posters and shook our hands, and thanked us again for coming out and told us he hoped we enjoyed the show. Definitely a cool guy, you gotta love when a band member is friendly and sociable with their listeners. All in all it was an amazing experience, and an awesome show. I'd love to see both Skeletonwitch and Landmine Marathon again

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taxer666
Trollsmith
Trollsmith

Number of posts : 7203
Hedonistic Glory : 10727
Joined In : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Genocya, Landmine Marathon and Skeletonwitch @ Lansing, MI   Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:15 am

I want to be a dick and say "lol Skeletonwitch" but glad you had fun
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11330
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Genocya, Landmine Marathon and Skeletonwitch @ Lansing, MI   Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:00 pm

Sounds awesome. I've heard how good Skeletonwitch are live. Great that you got to see it for yourself. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PortraitOfSanity
Gentleman and a Scholar

Number of posts : 2195
Hedonistic Glory : 5456
Joined In : 2009-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Genocya, Landmine Marathon and Skeletonwitch @ Lansing, MI   Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:06 pm

My buddy played with SW in Dekalb. Landmine Marathon is the shit too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Axe
Frenzied Folk Barbarian
Frenzied Folk Barbarian

Number of posts : 11606
Hedonistic Glory : 15995
Joined In : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Genocya, Landmine Marathon and Skeletonwitch @ Lansing, MI   Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:22 pm

Dude it was intense. If you ever have the chance to see them Dark, do it. Definitely worth it. And I paid twelve dollars to see two awesome bands and one decent one, so it wouldn't be too much trouble if they're nearby.

http://www.last.fm/user/Axeforhire66#shoutbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkflame
Problem Child

Number of posts : 8102
Hedonistic Glory : 11330
Joined In : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Genocya, Landmine Marathon and Skeletonwitch @ Lansing, MI   Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:03 pm

Yeah, you can tell even on their studio recordings they'd be awesome live. LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Genocya, Landmine Marathon and Skeletonwitch @ Lansing, MI   

Back to top Go down

Genocya, Landmine Marathon and Skeletonwitch @ Lansing, MI
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1